Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Solar Panels (Read 6634 times)
Foolosophy
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 1171
Australia
Gender: female
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #30 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 10:09pm
 
Belgarion wrote on Dec 31st, 2010 at 5:01pm:
A few weeks back I had 3 quotes from solar power installers, ranging in price (after all the rebates etc.) from $12000 for a 2.52 kWh system to  $4700 for 1.6 kWh.  Looking at my current power bills and the costs of these systems I estimated it would take between 2 and 5 years to recoup my expenses.

I decided not to go ahead as I think the price of these systems will only come down. I thought I detected an air of desperation to get me signed up before the rebates ended. Also, I have a large tree
in my yard which I was told would reduce the effectiveness of the system by an estimated 40%. Ironically the local councils green policy will not allow it to be removed.


If you wait for anything to come down in price you will NEVER buy amything.

I like to view it in terms of pay back period and what effect I can have now.

Also, I have a friend who has installed a PV system 2 years ago and thepaid back period willl be reached by the end of the year.

He intends to install a furthe 1.5 KW of panels - although he has a very large roof area so the optimum poistioning of these PV systems is easy for his situation.

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #31 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 8:25am
 
Foolosophy wrote on Mar 13th, 2011 at 10:09pm:
Belgarion wrote on Dec 31st, 2010 at 5:01pm:
A few weeks back I had 3 quotes from solar power installers, ranging in price (after all the rebates etc.) from $12000 for a 2.52 kWh system to  $4700 for 1.6 kWh.  Looking at my current power bills and the costs of these systems I estimated it would take between 2 and 5 years to recoup my expenses.

I decided not to go ahead as I think the price of these systems will only come down. I thought I detected an air of desperation to get me signed up before the rebates ended. Also, I have a large tree
in my yard which I was told would reduce the effectiveness of the system by an estimated 40%. Ironically the local councils green policy will not allow it to be removed.


If you wait for anything to come down in price you will NEVER buy amything.

I like to view it in terms of pay back period and what effect I can have now.

Also, I have a friend who has installed a PV system 2 years ago and thepaid back period willl be reached by the end of the year.

He intends to install a furthe 1.5 KW of panels - although he has a very large roof area so the optimum poistioning of these PV systems is easy for his situation.



If you don't have a North facing roof, the installation costs increase substantially. I agree with the 3 year payback. I worked it out around 2.7 years.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
Foolosophy
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 1171
Australia
Gender: female
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #32 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 10:45am
 
muso wrote on Mar 14th, 2011 at 8:25am:
Foolosophy wrote on Mar 13th, 2011 at 10:09pm:
Belgarion wrote on Dec 31st, 2010 at 5:01pm:
A few weeks back I had 3 quotes from solar power installers, ranging in price (after all the rebates etc.) from $12000 for a 2.52 kWh system to  $4700 for 1.6 kWh.  Looking at my current power bills and the costs of these systems I estimated it would take between 2 and 5 years to recoup my expenses.

I decided not to go ahead as I think the price of these systems will only come down. I thought I detected an air of desperation to get me signed up before the rebates ended. Also, I have a large tree
in my yard which I was told would reduce the effectiveness of the system by an estimated 40%. Ironically the local councils green policy will not allow it to be removed.


.



If you don't have a North facing roof, the installation costs increase substantially. I agree with the 3 year payback. I worked it out around 2.7 years.


Which is economically appealing to households.

Remember this period would be very much longer without the government rebate and most importantly without the premium buy back price of 66c/kWhr gaurantee.

And we are blessed on the Australian mainland with the one of the highest rates of Solar Radiation exposure.

Everything is in our favour to be one of the cleanest and sustainable energy producers in the world, but instead we are the highest CO2 emmting country per capita on the planet. (and have always been in the top 3 worst polluters)

We are now officially the most irresponsible and filthiest Carbon Dioxide emiiters per capita in the world



Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Equitist
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9632
NSW
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #33 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 10:48am
 


With approved NSW power price increases in the order of 36% over the next 3 years, I would suggest that the solar payback period would shorten considerably...

Hence, I regret that I didn't go solar 5 years ago (I really should have challenged the advice to convert to 3-phase)...

Back to top
 

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!
 
IP Logged
 
Foolosophy
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 1171
Australia
Gender: female
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #34 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 10:54am
 
Equitist wrote on Mar 14th, 2011 at 10:48am:
With approved NSW power price increases in the order of 36% over the next 3 years, I would suggest that the solar payback period would shorten considerably - hence I regret that I didn't go solar 5 years ago (I really should have challenged the advice to convert to 3-phase)...


There is great irony in your statement.
THe NSW has also jsut approved 2 new coal fired power stations on the NSW coast.

If coal is so cheap, why is there such an increase in power prices planned?

The Coal fired power industry is not like Victorian brown coal sector which was privatised by the Kennett government in the late 1990's.

ANd when I say provatised I mean FOREIGN OWNED,

So an increase in power prices means higher profits which means more money flooding out of this country.

NSW will also privatise its black coal sector - only a matter of time

If there is a dumber country than Australia I would like to know where in the world it is
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #35 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 6:50am
 
Actually the 66c per unit feed-in tariff in NSW is reasonably generous compared to Queensland - or Tasmania (20c).

In Germany, they opted for a feed-in tariff of about $1.10

...
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
astro_surf
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 2981
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #36 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:28pm
 
Foolosophy wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 11:53pm:
muso wrote on Sep 29th, 2010 at 10:21am:
Has anybody else installed a Solar PV home system? I'd be interested in experiences. I just purchased a 2kW system, so I'll keep you posted of how it goes.

We decided to install based largely on the projected price of electricity. The return on investment should be around 2-3 years based on that, allowing for REC's.  If we're away for a month or two, which we're planning to do, the unused electricity will be fed back into the grid, so theoretically we should get a credit for that period.

There is a limit or ceiling on how much power you can sell back to the grid in any one year (?)

Also, anything above this limit cannot be carried over into the next year.

For most homes this shoudlnt be an issue but I believe it was put in to stop people from lining their entire roofs with panels and essentially becoming a power plant  - maybe even profiting from it


Each state has a face plate limit on system size; ie. In Victoria you can have up to 5 kW, in Qld you can have 10 kW per phase (up to 30 kW).
Back to top
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:34pm by astro_surf »  

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Sep 11th, 2011 at 11:23am:
So tell me, you'd like to see more and more craphouse coloured people in Australia right?&&Yeah good idea moron.&&
 
IP Logged
 
astro_surf
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 2981
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #37 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:36pm
 
astro_surf wrote on Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:28pm:
Foolosophy wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 11:53pm:
muso wrote on Sep 29th, 2010 at 10:21am:
Has anybody else installed a Solar PV home system? I'd be interested in experiences. I just purchased a 2kW system, so I'll keep you posted of how it goes.

We decided to install based largely on the projected price of electricity. The return on investment should be around 2-3 years based on that, allowing for REC's.  If we're away for a month or two, which we're planning to do, the unused electricity will be fed back into the grid, so theoretically we should get a credit for that period.

There is a limit or ceiling on how much power you can sell back to the grid in any one year (?)

Also, anything above this limit cannot be carried over into the next year.

For most homes this shoudlnt be an issue but I believe it was put in to stop people from lining their entire roofs with panels and essentially becoming a power plant  - maybe even profiting from it


Each state has a face plate limit on system size; ie. In Victoria you can have up to 5 kW, in Qld you can have 10 kW per phase (up to 30 kW).


Nsw FiT was cut to $0.20 last october
Back to top
 

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Sep 11th, 2011 at 11:23am:
So tell me, you'd like to see more and more craphouse coloured people in Australia right?&&Yeah good idea moron.&&
 
IP Logged
 
Foolosophy
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 1171
Australia
Gender: female
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #38 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 11:00pm
 
astro_surf wrote on Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:36pm:
astro_surf wrote on Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:28pm:
Foolosophy wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 11:53pm:
muso wrote on Sep 29th, 2010 at 10:21am:
Has anybody else installed a Solar PV home system? I'd be interested in experiences. I just purchased a 2kW system, so I'll keep you posted of how it goes.

We decided to install based largely on the projected price of electricity. The return on investment should be around 2-3 years based on that, allowing for REC's.  If we're away for a month or two, which we're planning to do, the unused electricity will be fed back into the grid, so theoretically we should get a credit for that period.

There is a limit or ceiling on how much power you can sell back to the grid in any one year (?)

Also, anything above this limit cannot be carried over into the next year.

For most homes this shoudlnt be an issue but I believe it was put in to stop people from lining their entire roofs with panels and essentially becoming a power plant  - maybe even profiting from it


Each state has a face plate limit on system size; ie. In Victoria you can have up to 5 kW, in Qld you can have 10 kW per phase (up to 30 kW).


Nsw FiT was cut to $0.20 last october


Yes, at about the same time that the NSW government announced TWO new coal fired power stations to be built on the NSW coastline.

NOW WE WOULDNT WANT ANYTHING TO EAT INTO THE CORPORATE PROFITS OF THESE FOSSIL FUEL SCHEMES NOW WOULD WE FOLKS?

And when I say corporate profits, I mean OVERSEAS corporate profits

There can not be a more dumber and short term looking nation on this planet than our own - absolutely pathetic
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Grey
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 5341
Gender: male
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #39 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 2:07am
 
Quote:
There can not be a more dumber and short term looking nation on this planet than our own -


Oh I think you're wrong there. There's the US, Britain, France, Italy, Greece, Iceland et al all competeing madly for that mantle

Quote:
absolutely pathetic 


Couldn't agree more  Grin
Back to top
 

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live" - Irish Proverb
 
IP Logged
 
shaney
New Member
*
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 11
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #40 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 7:35pm
 
I saw my neighbor uses solar panels in their house and its kinda great seeing your house having lights coming from sun.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Hayden James
New Member
*
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 12
California
Gender: male
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #41 - May 2nd, 2011 at 7:46pm
 
I am indeed working to know more about it. Thanks then!
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print