Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Solar Panels (Read 6630 times)
Amadd
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Mo

Posts: 6217
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #15 - Jan 1st, 2011 at 7:44am
 
$4700 for a 1.5 kw system sounds expensive. I'm only paying $2000 interest free ($100/month) over 2yrs for a 1.5kw system.
I looked at it the other day and it was pumping out 1640 watts.

Since it's been switched on (10 days), it's made 87kw, 47kw of which has gone back into the grid.
At that rate, and with the highest feed in tariff, it will get me about $93/month back from the $100/month that I'm paying for the system and also save me about another $25/month off my electricity bill.
Of course this is summer and the days are longer and sunny more often. I'll have to see how it performs over the winter months.

Still, it seems like a good deal to me. I can save/make even more by using less electricity throughout the day when power is being fed back to the grid.i

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
mozzaok
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 6741
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 8:43am
 
I think the aspect of you becoming more aware of your usage, and more pro-active in learning how to use energy more wisely, is probably the biggest benefit you will see from your investment Ammad.
I think the plain yruth is that we all moan about energy pricing, while most of the time we are wasting a lot of power that we need not be using.

They had a TV show where energy auditors came through homes and showed people how to be more efficient, but they were so extreme that I think it actually put more people off it, by appearing too fanatical, than it converted people to being more efficient, and a common sense, and easier to follow energy saving education campaign would be better for ordinary people to accept.

Back to top
 

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!
 
IP Logged
 
Amadd
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Mo

Posts: 6217
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #17 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 4:37pm
 
Yeah, I've probably gone about as far as I can go without being too anal about it.
I managed to nearly halve my average electricity bill since I did a self-audit a year or two ago, and I've pretty much been able to stick with some new habits because it hasn't been much of an intrusion.

I think the solar rebate is a very good deal and everybody should jump on it before it ends. I'm using far less energy than what is being produced (in the summer period anyway).
I'm even sorry that I didn't get to take up the offer on the insulation debarcle.

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Amadd
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Mo

Posts: 6217
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #18 - Jan 3rd, 2011 at 2:30pm
 
I was just reading about hosing down your solar panels on hot days to get more performance out of them.

Before hosing, 530w output. After hosing, 1340w output!  Shocked

Today it wasn't so impressive - 1100w to 1250w, there may have been some clouds overhead when I checked it yesterday.i
Back to top
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2011 at 3:49pm by Amadd »  
 
IP Logged
 
mozzaok
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 6741
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #19 - Jan 3rd, 2011 at 10:58pm
 
Quote:
Yeah, I've probably gone about as far as I can go without being too anal about it.
I managed to nearly halve my average electricity bill since I did a self-audit a year or two ago, and I've pretty much been able to stick with some new habits because it hasn't been much of an intrusion.
-Ammad

That is interesting Ammad, would you like to expand on how you achieved that, and maybe pass on a few tips of some of the easier options for saving power?
Back to top
 

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!
 
IP Logged
 
Amadd
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Mo

Posts: 6217
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #20 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 3:43pm
 
Quote:
That is interesting Ammad, would you like to expand on how you achieved that, and maybe pass on a few tips of some of the easier options for saving power?  


I suppose there's nothing like hitting the hip pocket to bring about some motivation.
During the Howard driven downturn (had to throw that one in  Grin), I had a lot of time on my hands and not much cash in my pocket, so I decided to spend some time to work out what each appliance was costing me to run.

First I shut down absolutely everything until the (old) meter wheel stopped spinning.
I then switched them on again individually, timed the meter wheel and used a bit of math to get a fair estimate of what each appliance was costing to run and also what they were costing to have on standby.

I had 3 full entertainment systems that were left on standby for the majority of the time which sucked quite a bit of juice when taking into account they were sitting there mostly idle 24/7. So it was easy enough to switch them off at the wall when not in use.

The amps seemed to be the biggest culprits. I also had a big-ass guitar amp that I used to leave on and which would buzz annoyingly. I switched that to a small practise amp which doesn't buzz and which also makes my guitar sound less annoying to the unforgiving ear.

Other things I've done or generally do:

Changed over a few old light globes which I hadn't bothered to switch over to the low powered ones.
Reset a security light that was set too sensitve and stayed on for too long.
Close doors to rooms not being used when heating or cooling.
Switch off lights not being used of course.
Use a fan instead of the air-con if it's not too hot.
Smaller appliances for cooking.
Use a smaller sound system that doesn't make the windows rattle, but actually sounds better.
Make sure that everything is off when not being used, not just on standby.

..and probably a few other things which, like you said, just comes down to being more mindful of power being used.
For those people who have teenagers, it's probably not even worth trying  Cheesy


Just to add, for gas heating and hot water - I turn off the heater pilot light during summer and turn down the hot water service to comfortable shower temperature (or a little warmer). That way you only need to turn on the hot water tap when taking a shower. It saves quite a bit.






Back to top
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2011 at 4:11pm by Amadd »  
 
IP Logged
 
Foolosophy
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 1171
Australia
Gender: female
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #21 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 11:53pm
 
muso wrote on Sep 29th, 2010 at 10:21am:
Has anybody else installed a Solar PV home system? I'd be interested in experiences. I just purchased a 2kW system, so I'll keep you posted of how it goes.

We decided to install based largely on the projected price of electricity. The return on investment should be around 2-3 years based on that, allowing for REC's.  If we're away for a month or two, which we're planning to do, the unused electricity will be fed back into the grid, so theoretically we should get a credit for that period.

There is a limit or ceiling on how much power you can sell back to the grid in any one year (?)

Also, anything above this limit cannot be carried over into the next year.

For most homes this shoudlnt be an issue but I believe it was put in to stop people from lining their entire roofs with panels and essentially becoming a power plant  - maybe even profiting from it
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Foolosophy
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 1171
Australia
Gender: female
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #22 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 11:55pm
 
Amadd wrote on Jan 1st, 2011 at 7:44am:
$4700 for a 1.5 kw system sounds expensive. I'm only paying $2000 interest free ($100/month) over 2yrs for a 1.5kw system.
I looked at it the other day and it was pumping out 1640 watts.

Since it's been switched on (10 days), it's made 87kw, 47kw of which has gone back into the grid.
At that rate, and with the highest feed in tariff, it will get me about $93/month back from the $100/month that I'm paying for the system and also save me about another $25/month off my electricity bill.
Of course this is summer and the days are longer and sunny more often. I'll have to see how it performs over the winter months.

Still, it seems like a good deal to me. I can save/make even more by using less electricity throughout the day when power is being fed back to the grid.i



How many years warranty were you given on the panels and inverter?
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Amadd
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Mo

Posts: 6217
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #23 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:59am
 
I can't tell you offhand, but I think it was pretty standard. Something like 25yrs on the panels and 10yrs for the inverter.
I'll look it up and let you know.

It's been a bit of stuffing around so far, but I'm sure that it will be well worth it in the long run.
I think that they purposely mess you around in getting to stage of receiving the 66c/kwh feed-in. You need to send in an application once everything is installed and inspected.

The way things are going, that 66cents/kwh will be a standard price for electricity in just a few years time. And the way I read it, the 66 cent premium price will remain as is for 15yrs, even if the price of electricity goes up to $2/kwh during that period.

But still, I would expect to have paid for the system a few times over by then, and I'd imagine that there will be cheap standalone systems more widely available in the future.
For a $2,000 investment, it's a very low risk venture and a no-brainer to take up the offer.
I'd be very wary of forking out $20,000 for a 5kw system as I don't think that it will pay off when in 5yrs time, the current solar systems may be old technology.i

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Foolosophy
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 1171
Australia
Gender: female
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #24 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 10:28am
 
Amadd wrote on Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:59am:
I can't tell you offhand, but I think it was pretty standard. Something like 25yrs on the panels and 10yrs for the inverter.
I'll look it up and let you know.

It's been a bit of stuffing around so far, but I'm sure that it will be well worth it in the long run.
I think that they purposely mess you around in getting to stage of receiving the 66c/kwh feed-in. You need to send in an application once everything is installed and inspected.

The way things are going, that 66cents/kwh will be a standard price for electricity in just a few years time. And the way I read it, the 66 cent premium price will remain as is for 15yrs, even if the price of electricity goes up to $2/kwh during that period.

But still, I would expect to have paid for the system a few times over by then, and I'd imagine that there will be cheap standalone systems more widely available in the future.
For a $2,000 investment, it's a very low risk venture and a no-brainer to take up the offer.
I'd be very wary of forking out $20,000 for a 5kw system as I don't think that it will pay off when in 5yrs time, the current solar systems may be old technology.i



I dont think the premium cost for power will reach 66c/kWhr in 2 years. Its 19cents now. Even with a carbon price and trading scheme whihc needs to get up in parliament anyway - AND wont be introduced for a few years anyway.

There is a Solar Technolohy company operating out of Melbourne which manufacures a slaor system that not only produces electrical power via PVs but also traps heat in order to produce hot water. Its a very uinque hybrid solarPV/thermal panel that has a focusing system for the suan rays etc. They are called Technique Solar

http://www.techniquesolar.com.au/technology

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #25 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 11:36am
 
Foolosophy wrote on Mar 10th, 2011 at 10:28am:
I dont think the premium cost for power will reach 66c/kWhr in 2 years. Its 19cents now. Even with a carbon price and trading scheme whihc needs to get up in parliament anyway - AND wont be introduced for a few years anyway.

There is a Solar Technolohy company operating out of Melbourne which manufacures a slaor system that not only produces electrical power via PVs but also traps heat in order to produce hot water. Its a very uinque hybrid solarPV/thermal panel that has a focusing system for the suan rays etc. They are called Technique Solar

http://www.techniquesolar.com.au/technology



Focussed Solar PV has been around for a while. Here is an example from Adelaide (they manufacture in India):

http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/

There is also a company in Israel that produces a similar product to that of Technique Solar. It has been around for a few years now:

http://www.zenithsolar.com/

The goverment MRET and other schemes are driving Solar PV installations. If you had to pay full price, it wouldn't be economical.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
Foolosophy
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 1171
Australia
Gender: female
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #26 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 8:43pm
 
Amadd wrote on Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:59am:
It's been a bit of stuffing around so far, but I'm sure that it will be well worth it in the long run.


My main concern is how the power by-back system works.

Lets say that you install a PV system on a house roof top and you dont use any power at all for a whole year. That is an empty house - no appliances or lighting etc.

You simply pay the service charge for the power connection to your house.

In this instance will ALL of the power produced by the PV's be purchased at the 66c/kWhr rate?

Is there a limit to how much can be sold back to the power company?

Can I install a 50kW system for example on a wharehouse roof top and sell whatever power is produces?




Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Amadd
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Mo

Posts: 6217
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #27 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 5:42am
 
Quote:
Can I install a 50kW system for example on a wharehouse roof top and sell whatever power is produces?


Here is some info about Origin's agreement for the premium feed-in tariff:


Premium Feed-In Tariffs are available to customers who sign a Premium FIT Agreement and meet the following criteria:

Energy sent to the Grid is generated by Solar PV system and is not greater than 5kW.
If the cutomer is residential, the Solar PV system is located at the principle place of residence.
The annual consumption at the property (whether you are a business or residential customer) is less than 100,000kWh per annum.

Customers who accept the premium solar Feed-In Tariff terms and conditions (89KB) will receive a rate of 66c/kWh. This is inclusive of the 60c/kWh regulated by the Victorian Parliament for eligible customers with net metered electricity systems up to 5kW in Capacity, plus an additional 6c/kWh paid by Origin.

For Government information about FITs including the 60c/kWh premium FIT for residential customers (primary place of residence only) as well as business and community groups (consuming less than 100 MWh pa) with net metered solar electricity systems up to 5kW in capacity visit the department of Primary Industries Feed-In Tariffs web site.

Origin offers FITs for customers consuming less than 160 MWh pa with systems up to 100 KW in capacity, for further information please view the Victorian Feed-In Tariff information.

For customers consuming more than 160 MWh per annum, Origin will negotiate an agreement for an eligible rate for the customer's supply address.


A workmate of mine has recently installed a 5kw system at his residence and his energy company (tru-energy I think it is) has since increased his peak-rate to 30cents/kwh solely because of the fairly large system that he has installed.
I'd assume that in this country, it would be very difficult to set up a residence as a mini power plant which would be in competition with the major suppliers.
Personally, I think this attitude is aimed at a continuation to use our cheap coal resources.

I believe that in the U.S., the regulations are far less strict.
You can buy stand-alone solar systems there for about the same price that we pay for our "grid regulated" systems after the government rebate.
I'd much prefer a system independent of "smart meters" and government regulations which dictate how much free energy I am allowed to produce.
That won't happen here IMO, because we still have plenty of cheap coal to burn.




 




Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Foolosophy
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 1171
Australia
Gender: female
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #28 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 11:20pm
 
Thanks Teddy Bear
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Amadd
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Mo

Posts: 6217
Re: Solar Panels
Reply #29 - Mar 12th, 2011 at 2:26am
 
Foolosophy wrote on Mar 11th, 2011 at 11:20pm:
Thanks Teddy Bear


Grin NP.
I'd like to see more people getting into self-sufficient energy, even if there is a lot of red tape to go through and it doesn't really mean being self-sufficient in the short term.

Eventually, we should be able to dictate our own terms and conditions and provide ourselves with self-sufficient energy.
If somebody else wants to buy any excess, then you should have the right to set a price.


Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print