Send Topic Print
Sacred geometry (Read 2181 times)
mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Sacred geometry
Aug 13th, 2010 at 1:03am

Ok people, this is not some sort of test, (not for you lot anyway) but I have found one of my sons school worksheets (an old one ) and was curious.  Now as per Gillard law, some things just cant be measured, Mark Latham being the surd, but I was wondering if someone might be able to make sense of the following for me please, I am happy to wait, take your time.

Just have it on my desk by 2am. Cheers.

Only kidding, there's no hurry.  Wink

Ok.....so if the square root of 2 = 1.4142 what is the value of 1 over the square root of 2?

Fractions containing surds (Mark Lathams) in the denominator are difficult to work with. Now when approximating the value of 1 over the square root of 2, it is difficult to mentally divide by 1.4142.
This can be overcome by making the denominator rational (that is not a surd or a Mark Latham) this is called rationalising the denominator.

So what happens when we multiple the numerator and denominator of a fraction by the same number, it makes it rational right?

Y/N?

Look, i'll be honest with you guys, i'm checking my sons homework here , (he has no idea , hence i'm doing it now whilst he's in bed)..and I want to make sure he's got the answers correct, before he hands it in...  (not that i'm worry wart parent or anything, he's usually right on the mark)...  but I just want to be sure.

So...I will put what he's put in as his answers, and if you think these are wrong, feel free to freak me out and let me know so I can nag him in the morning over a bowl of cornflakes.

Cheers.

Cheesy

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Sacred geometry
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 1:21am

I think he's wrong, and think it gives an equivalent fraction, but then again, it's been a while since I have been at school.

Anyway...will sort it out tomorrow.

cheers.

ZZZzzzZZZ

Smiley

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 2:07am

Fractions containing surds (Mark Lathams) in the denominator are difficult to work with. Now when approximating the value of 1 over the square root of 2, it is difficult to mentally divide by 1.4142.
This can be overcome by making the denominator rational (that is not a surd or a Mark Latham) this is called rationalising the denominator.

dear ones,i am with you now

and so it is that when discussing this sacred

geometry you would attempt to observe,this cannot in

reality be distorted.

when the curriculum would seek to do this,to round this

up and continue the equasion..something is a miss and hoodwink

is the agenda.

to observe this sacred geometry you would be advised

to research metatrons cube,sacred geometry.

a fractal mandelbrot may be a correct depiction as you would

observe this and is but an aspect of truely what you would seek

and the definition of such and artful interpretation of fact garnered

from your individual aspect regarding 3rd order density dimension.

and so it is that the curriculum is a hoodwink and false.

in this dark hour let LIGHT be felt as it does burst forth from

my HEART at this very moment unto you

with grace and so very much LOVE

namaste

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 7:51am

Quote:
when the curriculum would seek to do this,to round this

up and continue the equation..something is a miss and hoodwink

is the agenda.
..You are absolutely correct, and this maths really irks /annoys me , more than you know because it's not precise, it's like expecting an English student to intentionally misspell a word just so it flows well, or looks good in print.  

Thankyou for your help, but there are pages of equations here, and whilst my son is a gifted student and appears to have completed them all, he's up against the best, and even those who's parents spend a fortune giving their children an advantage.  Eg, one of the boys in his class has a father who travels the world for work, and when in Holland, he gave his sons maths assessment to a university maths professor to do, complete with working out, to the tune of 15 pages, and this kid went to school and gloated about how his fathers friend blitzed his assessment for him in his advanced maths class of which was worth 40% of his entire grade.  Very unfair.  Angry

All the other students in my sons advanced maths class have tutors and parents who push their children like you have no idea, where as my son does everything himself al la natural, and has never had a maths tutor, simply because I believe they should only be appointed when  kids are  genuinely struggling,(based on principle)  not so as to gain an unfair advantage over your peers in an already brainy maths class filled with brains. When I was at school, tutoring was for the not-so-clever-kids....now it's for those who's parents want to purchase their kids way into university.

However, now things are getting rather competitive, this is year 10 afterall, I'm beginning to weaken, so will be looking into getting him some professional prep-exam  tutoring, I mean, some of these kids are being handed practice exam papers which are believed to be hot.

Not last years my friend, or the years before, apparently they are 2010's test papers, (if this kids telling the truth of course) of which I think is absolutely bloody disgraceful if she is, given these kids parents are essentially buying their kids grades, so wrong.

I can tell you now, if I decide to acquire a maths tutor for my son, and they even so much as offer to get cheat- exam papers for him, I will demand they leave my house immediately this and will report them to the department of education.   Angry No wonder kids these days lack morals and scruples.

I don't believe they should be completing these sorts of tests/assessments at home to begin with, of which gives them the opportunity to cheat, and I think half the time teachers know this and are happy to let them knowing it stands to make them look better if their advanced students ace tests this oppose to fail them, no thanks to Gillard now planning on paying teachers bonuses to jump through hoops, this and or degrade them via a myschools website.

All this sort of thing does is creates an incentive for more corruption and dishonesty. But are they really learning?

Like I warned my son, once you start cheating, you have set the standard, it's like living a half/cursed life, one that has to be falsely and highly maintained forever more.

It's unnatural, and in the end, those who do it fail themselves intellectually in the long run anyway, due to their brains having dulled the pathways to their own higher order thought processes, ingenuity, and creativity.

It's not the answers , it's how you get them that makes all the difference,  some things just cant be purchased. Brains is one of them.

Here's what I'm going to do....  once this assignments been submitted, and marked...I will post you guys some  of it, it's 8 pages long.... it's worth 30%.

A huge assessment for kids to be taking home due to what it's worth grade wise I think.

In other words, whoever can cheat the best, gets the better grade.

Angry...  My son will not be cheating, if I decide to get him some pre-exam/revision tutoring, I'll be making sure they know how I feel on the subject of cheaters tutoring, and will gage their reactions , use them as an indicator as to whether or not I decide to employ them.

I wont have them cheating him out of reaching his own potential, just so they can get a great reputation as being a fantastic pre-exam tutor locally.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:00am

Sounds good.

1 / sqrt(2) = sqrt(2) / 2

Past exam papers are not cheating. They got me through uni. All learning is a form of indoctrination. You learn by doing.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:22am

And I will just add, all the kids in his class agree they haven't learned half of it, and or if they did, she only brushed over it very quickly, but unlike them, who gloat.."Oh, that's ok, our tutors will help us complete ours for us" my son had to do his all by himself, without assistance.

The only assistance he had was a website called "Maths on line"...of which covers topics, has tutorials, an online maths program available to every secondary student in Australia free of charge.

http://www.mathsonline.com.au/

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:28am

freediver wrote on Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:00am:
Sounds good.

Past exam papers are not cheating. They got me through uni. All learning is a form of indoctrination. You learn by doing.

I quite agree however....

The exam papers my sons friend has access to is believed to be this years apparently, and is so hot that her tutor (a young female uni student )  will only let her complete it on the tutors own lap-top, in fear the girl will pass it on to her friends.

If it was just a case of it being a past exam paper, then why is she telling kids it's hot, this and telling others that she can only complete it on her tutors own lap-top?

Angry.... Perhaps she's just being boastful, but I know the girl well, and her parents are fiercely competitive and pushy, this and pay tutors to complete her assessments for her so I doubt she's being dishonest about this.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:38am

mellie wrote on Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:28am:
Sounds good.

The exam papers my sons friend has access to is believed to be this years apparently, and is so hot that her tutor (a young female uni student )  will only let her complete it on the tutors own lap-top, in fear the girl will pass it on to her friends.

If it was just a case of it being a past exam paper, then why is she telling kids it's hot, this and telling others that she can only complete it on her tutors own lap-top?

Angry.... Perhaps she's just being boastful, but I know the girl well, and her parents are fiercely competitive and pushy, this and pay tutors to complete her assessments for her so I doubt she's being dishonest about this.

Relax, Mellie - they're pretty much all on their own in the exams (except for the few who qualify for disability assistance)...

Our local/regional bookstore has books full of past exam papers and study guides: the whole back wall of the shop is stacked full of them - ranging from pre-school upwards - especially for Yrs10-12...

My Yr10 son and me went there only last week, to flick through some of the books and booklets - so that he could get a better idea of the course content (and associated resources) for all the Yr11/12 subjects he was considering doing...

He told me not to ever bother buying any of the that past exam paper books - as they are now available for free online...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:39am

Freediver, I would dob her in, only I actually feel really sorry for this girl, this and I know the teachers don't particularly care, I think they expect them to cheat , want them to, so as to make them look as though they are at least getting good results with some of their students.

I am very proud to say, that my son always comes first or second in his advanced maths class, and the difference between this girls results and his are always only by one or two points,(despite her cheatery)  which means even without a tutor or cheating, he's doing exceedingly well of his own accord, and for this I'm proud of him.

Even if he came last in the class, because of his work ethic and application alone, I am proud of him.

The girls a lovely kid, though her parents are exceedingly obnoxious and boastful, even gloat about their daughter being purchased the very best tutor, which they know fine well give her daughter her assessment answerers.

Boast about their allowing their kid to cheat, basically.

Roll Eyesi

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:44am

Equitist wrote on Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:38am:
mellie wrote on Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:28am:
Sounds good.

The exam papers my sons friend has access to is believed to be this years apparently, and is so hot that her tutor (a young female uni student )  will only let her complete it on the tutors own lap-top, in fear the girl will pass it on to her friends.

Relax, Mellie - they're pretty much all on their own in the exams (except for the few who qualify for disability assistance)...

Our local/regional bookstore has books full of past exam papers and study guides: the whole back wall of the shop is stacked full of them - ranging from pre-school upwards - especially for Yrs10-12...

My Yr10 son and me went there only last week, to flick through some of the books and booklets - so that he could get a better idea of the course content (and associated resources) for all the Yr11/12 subjects he was considering doing...

He told me not to ever bother buying any of the that past exam paper books - as they are now available for free online...

Equ, please read my response again, you are just not getting it.

THEY ARE NOT PRACTICE TESTS THIS GIRL DOES ON HE TUTORS COMPUTER AND HER TUTOR IS COMPLETING  ASSESSMENTS WORTH 40+% OF THEIR GRADES WEIGHT AT HOME FOR HER WHICH SHE THEN IN TURN SUBMITS AS HER OWN WORK.

THIS GIRL READILY ADMITS HERSELF THAT IF IT WASN'T FOR HER TUTOR COMPLETING HER TAKE-AWAY ASSESSMENTS FOR HER AT HOME SHE WOULD NOT BE IN THE ADVANCED MATHS CLASS NOR WOULD SHE HAVE A SOCIAL LIFE.

To add insult to injury, my sons best friend missed out on being in his advanced maths class with him by one point/seat this year.

If it weren't for these cheats, the kids who genuinely deserve to be in this class with my son would be in there with him.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:48am

Besides Mellie et al, obsessive drilling (which is especially useful in Maths) and rote learning (which is necessary to a point) and extra tutoring will only get most students so far for so long - the real world does not value 'educated idiots' and 'walking computers' who have little individual spark, instinct or initiative...

Hence, the best skill any kid can learn at school, is that of: learning how to learn - how to pragmatically teach themselves - to efficiently research, recognise, select, digest, summarise, store, retrieve and utilise relevant information...

Oh, and I'd suggest that you should avoid stressing your son out over the things he cannot change - and the last thing he probably needs is to be shot as the messenger and ostractised at school by all and sundry...for the next 2 1/2-odd years...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:53am

All graded assessments should be done IN CLASS...  and "homework" correct answers or not should not count towards their overall grade, only their application result.

Angry

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #12 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 9:00am

mellie wrote on Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:44am:
Equ, please read my response again, you are just not getting it.

THEY ARE NOT PRACTICE TESTS THIS GIRL DOES ON HE TUTORS COMPUTER AND HER TUTOR IS COMPLETING  ASSESSMENTS WORTH 40+% OF THEIR GRADES WEIGHT AT HOME FOR HER WHICH SHE THEN IN TURN SUBMITS AS HER OWN WORK.

THIS GIRL READILY ADMITS HERSELF THAT IF IT WASN'T FOR HER TUTOR COMPLETING HER TAKE-AWAY ASSESSMENTS FOR HER AT HOME SHE WOULD NOT BE IN THE ADVANCED MATHS CLASS NOR WOULD SHE HAVE A SOCIAL LIFE.

To add insult to injury, my sons best friend missed out on being in his advanced maths class with him by one point/seat this year.

If it weren't for these cheats, the kids who genuinely deserve to be in this class with my son would be in there with him.

I did read it, Mellie...and I think you are getting a little carried away...

I suspect that you are underestimating the intelligence and experience of the teachers, in dealing with the sorts of people that you describe - it's not like this situation is new or unique...

If what you say is even remotely true, then there will probably be a marked difference in language, approach and format betwixt an offender's take home assignments and exams - not to mention the quality of their verbal contributions in class...

Moreover, Yr10 is not the be all and end all - and Yr11/12 is where the determined and/or naturally gifted/talented will increasingly find that they can hold their own over the robotic rote learners - especially those who have habitually relied too heavily upon tutors...

In time, the wheat will be sorted from the chaff - if not at school, then when the harsh post-school realities hit...

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #13 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 9:09am

mellie wrote on Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:44am:

Dunno about your son's school, Mellie, but....as soon as subject selections are finalised, my son's school intends to separate the kids who are doing advanced/extension maths in Yr11/12 from those who aren't - and to start teaching towards the Yr11/12 curriculum accordingly...

No doubt, a few of the current Yr10 kids, who chose advanced/extension maths in Yr11/12, will drop down before the start of next year...

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 9:24am

Equitist wrote on Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:48am:
Besides Mellie et al, obsessive drilling (which is especially useful in Maths) and rote learning (which is necessary to a point) and extra tutoring will only get most students so far for so long - the real world does not value 'educated idiots' and 'walking computers' who have little individual spark, instinct or initiative...

Hence, the best skill any kid can learn at school, is that of: learning how to learn - how to pragmatically teach themselves - to efficiently research, recognise, select, digest, summarise, store, retrieve and utilise relevant information...

Oh, and I'd suggest that you should avoid stressing your son out over the things he cannot change - and the last thing he probably needs is to be shot as the messenger and ostractised at school by all and sundry...for the next 2 1/2-odd years...

I am not stressing my son out about this, rather will be taking the matter up with my local LIBERAL member after the election.

If we want to get serious about 'revolutionising' our kids education, then we need to stop the cheatery.

It's disadvantaging them all, and half of them actually believe it's not cheating because they are allowed to do it.

Meaning, they are being graded on how well they can resourcefully cheat.

I realise in the long run this wont advantage those kids who are being helped to cheat, but even they are being deprived of the opportunity to use their own brains so is this fair on them because their parents are ultra pushy?

Perhaps if their parents didn't pay someone to do their assessments for them they would self initiate this and perform much better than they are independently?

Plus we might actually get some 'realistic' indication as to how well our kids are fairing academically?

Who wins?

The teachers and the 'myschools' (table keepers) and those who illegitimately get their top-teacher bonuses once Gillard steps up the incentive to cheat more so, the parents who run around gloating how their kid got 99% in the HSC, and the tutors who get paid to do kids assessments/assignments long after they have finished school themselves.
The kid crumbles once they get to uni and realise they can barely afford to eat, much less pay someone to do their assessments for them anymore....then what happens? They flunk, drop out and have a HECS debt they cant afford to pay back mopping floors for a living.

Is this any way to set a kid up for life?

Stop trying to rationalise the cheatery equ, you know it's not right that weighty assessments like these are being sent home to be completed by tutors, which in turn sets a false standard, benchmark for all students, cheaters or not.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print