Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Voting Greens last ....Unfortunately (Read 3125 times)
locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Voting Greens last ....Unfortunately
Aug 6th, 2010 at 12:25pm

Being a firearms owner it's a pity that I have to make sure they get my very last preferences even below labour and liberal.

The other option sporting shooters have of course is the join the Greens en-mass and change a few things from within. A hard sell maybe but it's effectiveness may out weigh the distaste for many.

http://www.nsw.greens.org.au/policies/firearms

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Re: Voting Greens last ....Unfortunately
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 12:56pm

locutius wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 12:25pm:
Being a firearms owner it's a pity that I have to make sure they get my very last preferences even below labour and liberal.

The other option sporting shooters have of course is the join the Greens en-mass and change a few things from within. A hard sell maybe but it's effectiveness may out weigh the distaste for many.

http://www.nsw.greens.org.au/policies/firearms

"Principles
The Greens NSW believe:

1. The community must be protected against violence;

2. Public policy therefore should be concerned with the prevention of firearm violence and be directed towards the removal of objects that cause injury and death;

3. Public policy should be underpinned by World Health Organisation standards and the resolutions outlined Australasian Police Ministers Council Agreement on Firearms;

4. The availability of firearms and the reluctance of governments to introduce effective controls to reduce the number of weapons (firearms) in circulation (particularly high-powered firearms) contribute to the firearm menace and violence in our society;"

Hmmm, are the Greens really so naive that they think that 'gun violence' is carried out using legally purchased and registered firearms????

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 3:38pm

Gizmo, It seems that they are.

They also believe in punishing a majority for the idiocy, violence and criminal activity of a miniscule minority.

In fact most firearms owners would be happy to see any punishments of firearms related crimes doubled, tripled or even quadrupiled. Punish the criminals not people that are and have been doing the right thing. Angry

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 4:01pm

locutius wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 3:38pm:

They also believe in punishing a majority for the idiocy, violence and criminal activity of a miniscule minority.

In fact most firearms owners would be happy to see any punishments of firearms related crimes doubled, tripled or even quadrupiled. Punish the criminals not people that are and have been doing the right thing. Angry

They're using statistics. The more firearms on the market - even legally, the more that end up in the wrong hands.

Even a little tightening of these laws, means fewer getting to the streets.

They should make bows illegal also - along with the Shooters Party, which should be renamed the Hunting Party.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 6:10pm

mantra wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 4:01pm:

They're using statistics. The more firearms on the market - even legally, the more that end up in the wrong hands.

They should make bows illegal also - along with the Shooters Party, which should be renamed the Hunting Party.

If they're using 'statistics' then they are morons.....
"The more firearms on the market - even legally, the more that end up in the wrong hands." the 'firearms on the Market' are NOT used for illicit purposes...

All 'legally' purchased firearms are legally registered...
The guns used for Armed hold ups and gun crimes are purchases ILLEGALLY, from illegal sources....

As much as I dislike 'Americanism' the Americans(as in the NRA) are right when they say things like "When guns become outlawed, only outlaws will have guns"..

It's cheaper to buy an illegal pistol in a pub than it is to buy a legal pistol....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 6:54pm

I think the point is that guns used for crime may have been stolen from legal gun owners. So if legal use is restricted fewer will wind up in the hands of crims. Eg the gun Martin Bryant used in the Port Arthur maasacre was stolen from a legal gun owner.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 7:59pm

After many icident free years of enjoying the sport, I`ve recently let my pistol licence lapse due to the draconian legislation.  I can buy an illegal import cheaper than I paid for my legit ones.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:01pm

Ground control to Major Tom.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 9:54am

Sort of like making the Greens illegal...democracy is such a crock isn't Mantra. Now what can we call the Green Party....how about the "I Hate Humanity Party" or "I'm sorry we ever became tool users party".
Now your an apologist for a species?? ha!

And you want to ban archery as well? Good luck looney toons.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 11:15am

No guns and no fishing rod either:

Bob Brown wants us to stop fishing

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/election/bob-brown-wants-us-to-stop-fishing-but...

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 11:22am

Valid sporting considerations notwithstanding, I reckon that: in the overall scheme of things, these gun and fishing policies should not be too high on any voter's agenda...

It is also unlikely that the Greens will unreasonably force these particular issues, given that there are so many other other gravely pressing socio-economic and environmental matters to be dealt with by our incoming Federal Govt...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print