Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Grassroots: going organic, acting locally (Read 2911 times)
Equitist
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9632
NSW
Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Jul 13th, 2010 at 6:22pm
 

Discuss.
Back to top
 

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!
 
IP Logged
 
Equitist
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9632
NSW
Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 6:46pm
 

OK, I confess: this thread was an excuse to make a post about one of my favourite organic garden/household suppliers...

I've just received, via snail mail, the latest copy of Green Harvest's Australian Organic Gardening Resource Guide....

For anyone who's interested, here's a link to their web-site: -

http://www.greenharvest.com.au/

...



Disclaimer: I am purely a long-term satisfied customer - I do not have any vested or other interest in promoting the business and I don't even know the proprietors.

Back to top
 

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 2:32pm
 
Yeah it's a nice hobby. Personally I prefer the taste of genetically modified  food that's grown with lots of pesticides and herbicides to keep away all these nasty crawling things and bugs that make me ill.  Tongue

I also prefer Tuna that's not dolphin safe. It's cheaper and probably caught by the same fishing boats anyway. Tongue

I loved Phillip Adams' recent comment. Paraphrased - "Personally I'd prefer to feed cats to fish than the other way round"

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/latenightlive/stories/2010/2942498.htm
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
Equitist
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9632
NSW
Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 12:44pm
 

muso wrote on Jul 16th, 2010 at 2:32pm:
Yeah it's a nice hobby. Personally I prefer the taste of genetically modified  food that's grown with lots of pesticides and herbicides to keep away all these nasty crawling things and bugs that make me ill.  Tongue

I also prefer Tuna that's not dolphin safe. It's cheaper and probably caught by the same fishing boats anyway. Tongue

I loved Phillip Adams' recent comment. Paraphrased - "Personally I'd prefer to feed cats to fish than the other way round"

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/latenightlive/stories/2010/2942498.htm


I missed this the other day - ROFPMSL now  Roll Eyes
Back to top
 

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!
 
IP Logged
 
Equitist
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9632
NSW
Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 12:53pm
 

Meantime, back at the post office...I received another package...

This time, it was from another trusty mail order supplier Eden Seeds/Select Organic (dual supplier publication): -

...

http://www.edenseeds.com.au/content/default.asp

http://www.selectorganic.com.au/content/default.asp

...


Disclaimer: I do not have any relationship or association with either entity - other than merely being a long-term satisfied customer.
Back to top
 

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!
 
IP Logged
 
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 42330
Gender: male
Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 1:00pm
 

that "edenseeds" site. It's gardeners porn.
i put in 5 grevilleas, 2 callestimons and a paperbark yesterday.

Will get some cow poo for the vege garden out the front soon, might ring up my local tree lopper again, see if he will drop off another  load of mulch for me.

new idea i saw/did lately.
With my wooden fence, screwed some rails up onto it to train tomatoes , passionfuit and beans up.
could even espailer fruiting shrubs/trees along it.
Back to top
 

Modern Classic Right Wing
 
IP Logged
 
locutius
Gold Member
*****
Offline


You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Posts: 1817
Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 3:45pm
 
muso wrote on Jul 16th, 2010 at 2:32pm:
Yeah it's a nice hobby. Personally I prefer the taste of genetically modified  food that's grown with lots of pesticides and herbicides to keep away all these nasty crawling things and bugs that make me ill.  Tongue

I also prefer Tuna that's not dolphin safe. It's cheaper and probably caught by the same fishing boats anyway. Tongue

I loved Phillip Adams' recent comment. Paraphrased - "Personally I'd prefer to feed cats to fish than the other way round"

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/latenightlive/stories/2010/2942498.htm


I am constantly appalled at the enormous resourses that are required to stock the shelves of the petfood isles. Absolutely bloody shameful.



Back to top
 

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.
 
IP Logged
 
locutius
Gold Member
*****
Offline


You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Posts: 1817
Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 3:56pm
 
One of my favourite shows years ago...
Back to top
 

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.
 
IP Logged
 
aikmann4
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 2093
canberra
Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 4:25pm
 
Quote:
I am constantly appalled at the enormous resourses that are required to stock the shelves of the petfood isles. Absolutely bloody shameful.


I'm not appalled by it or consider it shameful or anything, but I do think it's a waste of resources. Pets should be a lot rarer than they actually are. That's the thing; while declining fertility rates are seen as a sign we're becoming more environmentally conscious, the money that ordinarlly would have been used to raise human children is now being used on pets, cosmetic surgery and overseas travel.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
gizmo_2655
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 16010
South West NSW
Gender: male
Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 7:52pm
 
I've always had a problem with 'Organic Food'....

It doesn't make any sense to me, as to why food that doesn't require expensive pesticides and fertilizers should cost TWICE what the food that uses pesticides and fertilizers......

I mean, what's that about.....Organic farmers DON'T spend $100.00 a year on chemicals....but charge 2 or 3 times as much as the farmers who DO???

Is it just a case of 'people are prepared to pay more for chemical free' or what????
Back to top
 

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat
 
IP Logged
 
aikmann4
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 2093
canberra
Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 11:20pm
 
It isn't chemical free. Organic crops use pesticides and herbicides like conventional crops do; so called 'organic' pesticides that aren't synthesized from petrochemicals. They're much less effective than synthetic pesticides so they have to be applied to crops in much larger amounts (and they're not exactly good for you either). Organic crop yields are usually much smaller and more labour intensive, hence the higher costs. High demand likely puts a premium on them also, as you pointed out.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Equitist
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9632
NSW
Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Reply #11 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 11:33pm
 

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 19th, 2010 at 1:00pm:
that "edenseeds" site. It's gardeners porn.
i put in 5 grevilleas, 2 callestimons and a paperbark yesterday.

Will get some cow poo for the vege garden out the front soon, might ring up my local tree lopper again, see if he will drop off another  load of mulch for me.

new idea i saw/did lately.
With my wooden fence, screwed some rails up onto it to train tomatoes , passionfuit and beans up.
could even espailer fruiting shrubs/trees along it.


LOL...'gardeners porn'  Roll Eyes

I like your gardening style, SC - mine is similarly random...

I managed to upset the local mailman when I co-opted the nature strip a couple of years to grow bush tucker. I've had mixed success out there - being on Western-facing dry, stony and hydrophobic coastal soil - but my Warrigal Greens (Tetragonia tetragonoides, AKA New Zealand Spinach) are flourishing right now, to make an excellent living mulch...
Back to top
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2010 at 11:39pm by Equitist »  

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!
 
IP Logged
 
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 42330
Gender: male
Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Reply #12 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 8:32am
 

well done thy, the front verge is the best place for fruit and veges.
Imagine a suburb where ever street has rows of fruit trees and veges growing wild.

My fruit vege garden is out the front. It's great, best place for one.
I have invited the local kids to take whatever passionfruit they want from the front of our place.
When the beans and tomatoes come ready, I'll offer the same inviatation.

They wave to me when I drive home and come over for a chat.

Back to top
 

Modern Classic Right Wing
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Reply #13 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 9:21am
 
locutius wrote on Jul 19th, 2010 at 3:56pm:
One of my favourite shows years ago...



Yes, it was a great show. I remember that Felicity Kendal fueled my adolescent fantasies too Smiley

I just planted a herb garden yesterday. Lots of Sweet Basil, Purple basil, Sage, Italian Parsley (The only parsley worth growing) and I already have Oregano as a ground cover.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
locutius
Gold Member
*****
Offline


You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Posts: 1817
Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 4:19pm
 
Muso what about Corriander...I remember you saying how much you loved the stuff.
Back to top
 

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print