muso wrote on Jul 30
th, 2010 at 10:11am:
mozzaok wrote on Jul 29
th, 2010 at 8:35pm:
Hi muso, I have a question which I struggle to define, because it was just a comment from an old friend who has joined the ranks of Denialism, because of his Liberal party affiliations, but he said that he changed his mind about climate change as we understand it, because of the methane levels, which prove that CO2 is a result of warming, and not the cause of warming.
I did not ask him to expand on the matter, as I was pretty certain it would be confusionalist rubbish, but I am interested to find out what he may have been referring to, as it must be pretty au fait amongst the Abbott supporters, who wish to look supportive of their leaders disdain for climate science.
Do you have any ideas what argument he may have been referring to?
Well the atmospheric methane levels have levelled off recently, but that's mainly a result of the fact that the practice of venting natural gas from production facilities has fallen off dramatically, and there is also increased use of coal seam methane, which was formerly vented.
Methane has a much shorter atmospheric lifetime than CO2, and it actually decomposes to form CO2.
I'm sure one of our resident confusionalists will oblige us with the latest half baked ideas.
Yeah so that's sort of why people get 'confused'...
Methane causes between 25 and 33 times the 'heating' that Co2 is supposed to..THEN methane decays into Co2 and water.....so to a person who understands scientific method...this would mean that Co2 is by-product( effect) of global warming...NOT a cause...
And then there is the scientific data that shows that when the oceans heat, the oceans stop absorbing Co2, and start emitting Co2....again, an effect not a cause...
Is it any wonder that people get 'confused' as to whether Co2 is a 'cause' or a 'result' of GW????
Methane CAUSES AGW, and Co2 is an effect of AGW.....Which is what all the 'confusionalists' have been saying.....
So since Co2 is an effect, not a cause.....does that mean that the AGW/Co2 sceptics are correct???