Soren wrote on Mar 19
th, 2011 at 5:39pm:
Thank you.I confess I find all catastrophic climate change scenarios laughable.
I am, however, all for clean air and clean environment because these are GOOD THINGS. I am also for energy independence from the Middle East as a way of strangling any notions of a militant Islamic caliphate growing on the fat of oil money
I am not for kneecapping the world economy for any reason a Bob Brown or a Christine Milne or a Sarah Hanson-Young (*shudder*) stand for. As a matter of fact I can't imagine myself standing with these clowns on anything. I think it is a matter of personal integrity to diasagree with them.
I am very respectful of ecologically careful and socially responsible people. However, I do think that many of these notions have been colonised by militantly stupid, anarchistic, anti-social ideologies.
My pleasure!However, I certainly don't find some of the catastrophic climate change scenarios laughable!
Far from laughable, some of these scenario's may well turn out to be future realities and they are more likely to become real, if proper mitigation measaures are not taken and sooner, rather than later.
That said and given the best scientific projections & the apparent determination of TPTB to continue business as usual, I suspect that future generations may well face some of those scenario's.
In fact, I would suggest that we are already experiencing some of the leading edges of those scenario's, which are set to become worse, as this century progresses, precisely because "fixed thinking" & "self-interest" will most likely win the short to medium term battle, until it's too late and our backs are then against the wall.
It's good that you are for clean air & for Energy indepence from Oil!
However, I'm not sure that we will have the luxury/opportunity to escape the grasp of Oil, without monumental difficulties over the next 100 years plus.
We are squeezed from all sides, in a situation where Supply is set to shrink quickly (starting already), but demand will still rise for some decades and the resultant Price increases will throttle the life out of the Global Economy, particularly when this will co-incide with other events such as the Baby Boomer Bust, Climate Change & the ever growing Debt monster!
Arising from this, we may well have little option but to accept a medium term transition use of Nuclear Power, to get us past the hump, to where a new equilibrium can be established and Nuclear Power can then be phased out.
During this transition, we must hope that all proper measures ARE TAKEN and the Nuclear transition doesn't finally bite us, on our own ass!
The less I have to do with Politicians in general, the better and that is of all persuasions!
You may be correct in some respects, but in many ways we are facing a set of circumstances that is unique in the history of humanity!