ThripD wrote on Mar 14
th, 2011 at 6:16pm:
Soren wrote on Mar 4
th, 2011 at 6:39pm:
Spoken like Abu - overreaction is justifiable 'natural reaction'.
People do not need a thorough grounding in science to perceive that making definite and far-reaching pronouncments about a very complex system with lots of variables whose interaction is only dimply understood or not at all is asking for a challenge.
But people grounded in science want their authority to prevail, even if their arguments can't.
When I want advice about my car I go to my mechanic. When I have a health problem I go to my GP. Neither are omnipotent beings bathed in absolute truth, perhaps they have a vested interest in my spending money at their establishment? Regardless, they know a hell of a lot more than I about my car and my health because they have been working in those fields all their adult life.
People grounded in science will tell you that a theory is a THEORY, it can never be 100% certain, but it is a best possible fit given all the up to date physical evidence. Absolute undisputed truth is rarely a pre-requisite for action, this has allowed us to progress beyond THE WHEEL to bigger and better things.
Scientists thrive on debate, a great scientist will invite people to shoot them down. Sometimes people actually succeed in doing so and great insights are obtained from professionals external to the field of study. I have seen many many attempts to shoot down the climate change debate but no cigar so far.
Why should we trust what climatologists say about our climate? Erm, well.... OK suppose they're wrong, the consequences of acting when we didn't need to are nothing when compared to the consequences of not acting when we should have.
You make some very good points.
ANd there is debate amongst Climate scientists but they dont disagree about the effects of AGW. They discuss the possible scenarios and mitigation strategies.
The mass media however portray some UNIVESAL debate where the scientific community is split downt he middle - this is laughable.
A theory's efficacy and ligitimacy is purely based on its ability to explain observations and fit experimental data.
I dont see any theory out there which says that rising atmospheric CO2 level caused by humans will NOT effect the earths average temperature, climate conditions, sea levels etc.
And the reason for this absence is that such a theory is not supported by the fundamentals of science and the data.
SO one must ask themselves
What is the scientific basis for thinking that humans can continue increasing the atmospheric CO2 levels without any detrimental effects ont he ecosystem, climate and on human civilisation?I dont know of any scientific basis to that contention - perhaps there is a corporate or political one