OK,
Now let me answer your post. I was somewhat pre-occupied by real life last night
gizmo_2655 wrote on Sep 7
th, 2010 at 1:29pm:
No, how can a system as complex as global mean temperature prediction be 'cut and dried'???
There are nearly as many variables involved as there are in weather forecasting...
Not nearly as many, but I'll explain in more detail in subsequent posts. Weather forecasting requires stochastic modelling. Compared to that, general circulation modelling is relatively straightforward and deterministic. They operate on pure deterministic physics. Most are built around the Navier Stokes equation. I'll expand on that too if you want.
Meteorology uses some complex stochastic modelling, not unlinke Stockmarket models. It's a much tougher job to predict local short-term variations than overall trends.
I know what you mean by the butterfly effect (not the band). I've worked on General Circulation models and I've also seen Weather forecasting models in action. Which do you think take up the most Gigabytes?
Quote:And I'm not against finding/developing and implementing alternative energy sources...
but I AM against shutting down, or seriously restricting, the industries we need to survive BEFORE we develop or build the alternative enery systems....
Good! I'm against that too. At least we agree on that. A strong economy will be necessary through all of this. As I said on another thread, our best allies may come from unlikely sources. (Like Bob Katter with his green corridor)
The worst enemies will probably come from the real deep greens, who I'm convinced want us to return to hippy communes and eating organically produced food. They are the ones who will sabotage the nuclear power plants that we'll eventually have to build (p_n - as an interim fix. I know it's not long-term).
It's not even about saving the polar bears or the Great Barrier reef for that matter. It's about survival of our species and our way of life.
I like the fact that you are listening and I also like the fact that you don't have any eschatological misconceptions. Now if I can just find some time, I'll explain some more.