Paella wrote on May 4
th, 2010 at 3:44pm:
Are you referring to the REC liability incurred by wholesale purchasers of electricity? I'm just trying to understand how this operates (My exposure is on the generation side, not the wholesale purchasing side). If I'm on the right track, it seems that wholesale buyers meet their liability by paying an additional amount to the seller, who then takes on the liability and has to buy the RECs. Is that how it works?
In any case, I love these scams, I mean, umm, schemes. Just like the banking meltdown: everyone had to pay for it except the bankers who caused it. Now everyone has to pay for carbon pollution except the carbon polluters.
Ahhh, liberalism!
I think that's more or less how it works, but I haven't read that section of legislation that isn't directly relevant to me.
There is just too much new legislation coming into force right now, and they deliberately don't make life easy. Of course they want standard error to be reported, which in itself is a difficult thing to estimate. It's pretty obvious that any concessions will apply to the estimate minus the standard error.
What they are trying to do is to provide a cushion so that highly exposed businesses don't go out of business, and it gives them time to adapt and become more sustainable. The subsidy is gradually phased out with time.
What I'm complaining about is that the methodology is so anal. They rely on emissions and electricity data from 2006-7 and 2007-8 to provide a baseline, and then expect that data to be auditable. This is a period where (if anything) most companies were reporting through Greenhouse Challenge Plus (voluntary reporting). They just didn't have the higher standards of accuracy demanded by NGERS. A lot of companies installed more accurate measurement technology in anticipation of carbon trading, and now that expense is wasted with the CPRS being put on hold while Kevin Rudd stuffs around.
It all makes life very difficult.