mozzaok
Gold Member
   
Offline

OzPolitic
Posts: 6741
Melbourne
Gender:
|
I was taken in by it, even though the bit about missing the moon was there to highlight it's silliness, the fact that I have no understanding of the finer points of mathematics, and that he put his money where his mouth is, created enough uncertainty for me.
It is very instructional in highlighting the old Menzies truism, "bullshit baffles brains", a system he used to great effect to stay in power longer than any other PM in our history.
In fact, I am so confused by the whole question now, that I could probably be tricked even further on the subject.
That muso chose to show it as an example of how confusionalist deniers work their mass voodoo made me consider just how easily people who have no great interest in a subject, or expert knowledge of a subject, can be so easily taken in.
Of course denialists will make the claim that all the governments and great scientific institutions of the world are colluding to produce a lie, and they, and the handful of dissenting scientists, are the ones clever enough to see through it.
That is their case in a nutshell, once you have stripped away all their lies and confusionalist BS, and so we, the average people, are left with a choice of whom should we believe?
Now few are more cynical than myself, and few have a greater mistrust of bureaucracy, and politicians, but even coming from that position, I still cannot see how it would be possible for so many independent individuals to come together and collude to create such a global phenomenon.
On top of that we have the science, real data, from real scientists, whose arguments are not even challenged by denialists, because they know they do not have any evidence to credibly challenge the science, and this is where the quasi scientists come in, working from tractor sheds in ohio, you can get theories on water vapour being the driving factor, and evangelical bible quotes from the same source.
Of course people have the right to be skeptical, and the right to be cynical, but that does not give them the right to be disingenuous at best, or dishonest at worst.
When the skeptics come up with some real science that impresses the real climate scientists, then I will be happy to reappraise my stance, but unless that happens, I have to support the best qualified, and most experienced people in the world, when they tell me what is happening.
|