Soren wrote on Feb 13
th, 2010 at 6:10pm:
Except, of course, sceptics have not clearly lost the argument.
Your biggest problem is the people on your side and their solution. You have both the mad green ferals and the speculators on side with carbon trading, the stupidest idea around. Only someone with no clue scientific clue ()like green ferals and financial speculators and 'progressive' politicians) could come up with that.
I have long held the view that a carbon tax is a far better solution that carbon trading. I have no argument there.
Quote:So the ordinary Joe, while not understanding the 'science', can clearly smell the spin and dishonesty surrounding AGW.
The 'science' in this sense, is the least of it.
Point out to Joe the 'scientific' crap (the tendentiousness, the browbeating, the peer reviewed bitchiness, the hockey stick modelling that will give you the same answer, no matter what the question) and political arrognce and you have a lost cause, at least for the nonce. Cap it all off with haughty sighing about how stupid the plebs are and you are done like dinner.
So it sounds like you have more of a problem with the sales pitch (wtf?) than the idea itself.
All that concerns me are the facts. I'm not concerned with political arrogance or the obvious conclusion that you don't have the slightest clue about scientific principles. I have supplied a reasonably concise explanation in the 'sticky' 'climate change explained' section, and so far you haven't come up with anything to actually counter any of that. After having (reasonably patiently if I may say so) done my best to explain the basics of radiative forcing, going into some detail of why it stems from a fundamental property of the carbon dioxide molecule, the best you can do is to shriek in a Hansonesque manner (Pauline that is) "I don't like it!", "I don't buy it" or "AGW is crap" without offering any explanation for why you think that is the case.
Your main problem is that you just
think that you're winning the argument. Perhaps you would be more gainfully employed here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYFQZFL0yoo Quote:Arguments - Thick people are very good at winning arguments because.... they're too thick to realise that they've lost ....
Let's face it, you'd be right at home in the society of George Orwell's 1984.
Ignorance is strength, comrade.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every time I use the word comrade, I am reminded of the use of the term tóngzhì ( 同志) in the PRC. It's a little bit dated to call everyone comrade these days. In China, if you call somebody tóngzhì, the worst they think of you is that you're a bit behind the times. However in Taiwan, it's a totally different ballgame. If somebody calls you tóngzhì in a bar in Taipei city, you're in the wrong kind of bar, and you should get out of there quick-fast being sure not to turn your back on anyone

- unless, that is, you happen to bat for the other team.
So maybe paella is right. It's really not worth 'debating' with climate pseudoskeptics. They even have a totally different language and a whole newly engineered way of thinking. When you say something that's perfectly straightforward, it will get spat out at you in a strangely mangled form.
It is however worth correcting nonsense so that it doesn't go completely unchallenged.