Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Green Economy/Jobs - a myth. (Read 6293 times)
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Green Economy/Jobs - a myth.
Reply #45 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 12:53pm
 
DWMT
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
mantra
Gold Member
*****
Offline


ozpolitic.com

Posts: 10750
Gender: female
Re: Green Economy/Jobs - a myth.
Reply #46 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 2:25pm
 
There are Green jobs being created right now. The media doesn't do much to promote them though.

Some of this is speculation, but on the back of promises from the government. Extracts from the Australian Conservation Foundation...

Quote:
Below are some examples of Green Jobs. More detailed case studies are available at www.acfonline.org.au/GreenCollarJobs

“Deeper Green”

Renewable energy - invention, manufacturing, distribution, installation
Water savings and recycling - Green Plumbers and new water saving infrastructure
Sustainable, water-smart farming and forestry
Green design, building and construction
Green services in auditing, accrediting, accounting, banking and trading
Public transport and clean car design, construction, manufacture and operation"Lighter Green"
Purchasing officers who implement a sustainable purchasing policy
Office managers who help reduce energy waste
Mining workers who help save fuel or rehabilitate land
A building cleaner who uses environmentally friendly products and reduces waste
A chef who chooses locally grown, environmentally-friendly produce

Does Australia stand to gain from green jobs?

There are great opportunities for green jobs and industries in a booming clean economy. We can lead in solar, green buildings and in smarter use of energy and resources. According to CSIRO economic modelling, 2.7 million new jobs will be created in Australia by 2025 if we set course to become carbon neutral by 2050. Many will be green jobs.

But what will happen to workers in “carbon intensive” industries?

It’s a myth that action on climate change will destroy Australian jobs. Creating green jobs is not about shutting down ‘dirty’ industries, but re-skilling (and ‘re-tooling’) them for cleaner production. According to CSIRO, 560,000 new jobs will be created in high environmental impact industries (like manufacturing and heavy industry) by 2025 - if Australia sets course to become carbon neutral by 2050.

How do we create more Green Collar Jobs in Australia?

We need to make sure that our workforce has the know-how to capitalise on new opportunities. We need to make sure workers are given the right skills and training for the 21st century. ACF, along with the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU), Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS), and The Climate Institute (all part of the Southern Cross Climate Coalition), is calling for national leadership to promote the creation of Green Jobs:

1.Skills Australia to lead a national Green Jobs and Skills Program.
2.At least 40,000 green job training opportunities to be allocated from the Federal Government’s Productivity Places Program by 2010
3.Australia’s universities, TAFE and training sectors to create ‘green collar partnerships’
4.Allocation of immediate funds for Green Jobs programs, to be boosted from 2010 with a proportion of revenue from the Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Green Economy/Jobs - a myth.
Reply #47 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 2:29pm
 
Pretty sure we aren't discussing Green Jobs in general mantra.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
mantra
Gold Member
*****
Offline


ozpolitic.com

Posts: 10750
Gender: female
Re: Green Economy/Jobs - a myth.
Reply #48 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 2:33pm
 
I'm on topic, or so I thought.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Green Economy/Jobs - a myth.
Reply #49 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 2:36pm
 
With Peak Oil, I don't know if anybody else has been following it, but it was looking like happening by Christmas 2008 - then the Global Economic downturn came along.

There are several different aspects to Peak Oil. We have probably already passed peak production, and after we come out of the downturn, I'd suggest that the oil price will continue to rise past the $140 per bbl mark where it was before the crash.

There are a number of forecasts as to when it will happen, ranging from 2010 to 2013, but it's not too far away.

With Iraq being handed back to the Iraqi's, the issues in Iran and the fact that Nigerians keep blowing up their Crude Oil pipeline, it won't take much to trigger a massive price hike even before that.

It's all well and good to talk about developing other deposits, but the technology has to be developed in some cases, especially with hydrate deposits, and the exploration itself will take time.

Some time in early 2008, I forecast a petrol price of $2.50/L by Christmas. The downturn got in the way of that, but $2.50/L is not too far away once we get a brief recovery again. 

Let's wait and see. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think so.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Green Economy/Jobs - a myth.
Reply #50 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 2:45pm
 
You don't read much do you muso.
I already commented on your peak oil crap.

Peak oil has been predicted just about every year since the mid-90s.

It aint here yet and won't be for a very long time.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
skippy
Ex Member


Re: Green Economy/Jobs - a myth.
Reply #51 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 3:44pm
 
mantra wrote on Jul 11th, 2009 at 2:33pm:
I'm on topic, or so I thought.


Of Cause you are mantra, boofy just hates the truth, keep telling him. Smiley

Back to top
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2009 at 4:01pm by N/A »  
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Green Economy/Jobs - a myth.
Reply #52 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 4:11pm
 
So you and Skippy think the topic is about all those "Green" jobs that already existed before the alarmists and climate scare and the new GREEN ECONOMY driven by GREEN POWER...  is that right?

I'd have thought it was about the stuff mentioned in the opening post.  But hey that's just me.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
skippy
Ex Member


Re: Green Economy/Jobs - a myth.
Reply #53 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 4:20pm
 
It looks like I was wrong mantra, you were totally off topic as you didn't address the Spanish experience and agree with the lies boof posted.
I have proven they are lies, as you can see by my cut and pastes by Spanish gov officials,but even so I am wrong for daring to disagree with the boofster.
All hail the boofster.How dare I put up facts that show his posts as little more than propaganda.I'm a bad bad boy.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Green Economy/Jobs - a myth.
Reply #54 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 4:24pm
 
DWMT
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Green Economy/Jobs - a myth.
Reply #55 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 8:16pm
 
Quote:
It looks like I was wrong mantra, you were totally off topic as you didn't address the Spanish experience and agree with the lies boof posted.
I have proven they are lies, as you can see by my cut and pastes by Spanish gov officials,but even so I am wrong for daring to disagree with the boofster.
All hail the boofster.How dare I put up facts that show his posts as little more than propaganda.I'm a bad bad boy.


Once again, it's a case of 'Perfect ignorance is no match for imperfect knowledge'.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Green Economy/Jobs - a myth.
Reply #56 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 8:41pm
 
Well if it isn't Tweedledee in search of Tweedledum...  you and Skippy make a good pair Bozo.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print