Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Christian militants kill U.K soldiers (Read 15368 times)
abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Christian militants kill U.K soldiers
Mar 9th, 2009 at 10:42am

Group 'claims' N Ireland attack

The police said the attackers shot some of the victims at close range [AFP]

A dissident Irish republican group has reportedly claimed responsibility for the attack on an army base in Northern Ireland that killed two soldiers and left four other people injured.

The Sunday Tribune newspaper said that one of its reporters received a telephone call from a purported spokesman of the Real IRA, which says it is fighting to end British rule in the province.

Suzanne Breen, the chief Northern Ireland reporter for the Sunday Tribune, said that the spokesman used a codeword to verify he was from the group before defending Saturday's attack.

The attackers opened fire on a group of British soldiers as they collected pizzas outside the headquarters of the Royal Engineers in Northern Ireland at Massereene, northwest of Belfast.

Two of those wounded were pizza delivery men.

Breen said the Real IRA spokesman decribed the pizza delivery men as "collaborators with British rule".

Dissident groups

Jonathan Moore, a Northern Ireland expert at London Metropolitan University, told Al Jazeera that the Real IRA, which carried out a bombing in the town of Omagh in 1998 killing 29 people, were the most likely group to have carried out the attack.

Timeline: N Ireland unrest
  • August, 1969: A Catholic civil rights movement escalates into rioting in Derry and Belfast. UK troops return to N Ireland.
  • March, 1972: N Ireland government is suspended and direct rule imposed from London.
  • 1974: Irish Republican Army (IRA) launches bombing campaign in Ireland and on the British mainland.
  • April, 1998: Good Friday Agreement is signed, ending twenty-four years of violence in which 3,000 people were killed.
  • March, 2007: Power-sharing government agreed with devolved power from London.
  • July, 2007: UK troops begin withdrawal.

"There are a great number of small dissident republican groups in Northern Ireland, the Real IRA are the most significant," he said.

"Since the mainstream provisional IRA gave up its arms, all kinds of small groups, many of them very locally based, have come into existence and we have had splits and further splits which mean that any kind of control becomes more difficult."

The Real IRA split from the provisional IRA after a peace accord in 1998 ended 30 years of violence between those who wanted a united Ireland and those who supported British rule over the province.

Leaders from both sides of the political spectrum have condemned the attack and vowed that it would not harm the power-sharing government which came to power in 2007.

"Their intention is to bring British soldiers back onto the streets. They want to destroy the progress of recent times and to plunge Ireland back into conflict," Gerry Adams, president of the Sinn Fein party which led opposition to British rule, said.

"Our responsibility is to defend the peace process and the progress that has been made to achieving national and democratic rights," he said in a statement.

Peter Robinson, the first minister in the Northern Ireland Assembly, urged pro-British unionists not to retaliate against the Catholic community.

"Can I urge all of those who may be angry within the unionist community ... this is a matter to be left entirely with the police and the authorities," he said.

Peace process

Gordon Brown, the British prime minister, said that the killings would not stop the peace process in the province from moving forward.

"I can assure you that we will bring these people to justice," he said.

"No murderer will be able to derail a peace process that has the support of the vast majority of the people of Northern Ireland and we will step up our efforts to make the peace process one that lasts and endures."

Brian Cowen, the Irish prime minister, also condemned the attack, saying: "A tiny group of evil people cannot and will not undermine the will of the people ... to live in peace together."

Derek Williamson, the police chief superintendent who is leading the hunt for the attackers, said that the six victims were believed to have been wounded during the initial volley of bullets before some were shot again at close range.

The attackers' vehicle was later found in the nearby town of Randalstown.

'Criminal' attack

Shane Greer, a Northern Ireland political analyst, described the attack as a criminal act.

"The last time a British soldier was murdered in Northern Ireland by terrorist forces was 1997," he told Al Jazeera.

"We shouldn't elevate this beyond what it is. It is an act of criminal barbarism. These people will in no way derail the peace process in Northern Ireland."

Last week, Hugh Orde, Northern Ireland's police chief, warned of possible attacks by republican paramilitaries.

Northern Ireland endured three decades of civil unrest known as the Troubles in which around 3,000 people were killed.

Paramilitary attacks in Northern Ireland are now relatively rare but the last 18 months have seen an upsurge in violent activity from republican paramilitaries opposed to the peace process.

Source: al-Jazeera

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Christian militants kill U.K soldiers
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 11:46am

And, what has their actions to do with them being christians ?
If indeed they are

What bible quote did they screech as they attacked ?

NONE

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 12:27pm

Irrelevant, they're one group of Christians murdering another.

I don't see too many protestant or orthodox members amongst their ranks. They are a Christian militant group based on their belonging to a certain sect of Christianity (catholics), and they're fighting another sect of Christianity (protestants).

The fact they probably don't quote the Bible so much is probably just more to do with the fact Christians are much less religiously devoted overall than other religions, especially in Western Europe, so of course their extremist religious groups don't use as much religious symbolism, that's irrelevant though.

Anyway here's some images relating to the conflict, and if you ask me, some of them look just a little related to Christianity... maybe I'm just imagining it though...

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 1:23pm

So, they don't/can't quote any biblical instruction to support their blood violence ?

well, that's pretty relevant, isn't it ?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 2:02pm

"...For God and Ulster..."

Says it all mate. So God is even before their nationalist sentiments.

They are killing in the name of God, your God, the Christian God... aren't you a protestant also? So even your very same sect. Perhaps you fund them? Perhaps some of the donation money you give each sunday actually goes to help them arm up?

You bloody Christians shouldn't be allowed into this country!!

Everytime I drive past the "Loyal Organge Club" near my house, I wonder why these bloody Christian militants have to bring their religious-warring symbolism here??

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 2:25pm

abu - hahahahah

still no quotes from the bible supporting them ?
or actions from their supposed spiritual leader of that sort of behaviour ?

thought not, well, knew not

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 2:33pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/mar/09/northern-ireland-shootings
Quote:
Politicians and communities from across the religious divide united yesterday in condemnation of dissident republican paramilitaries who shot dead two British soldiers outside their barracks near Antrim hours before their regiment was due to leave the province for a tour of duty in Afghanistan.

In a historic moment for Northern Ireland, Sinn Féin's Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness last night backed the police manhunt and denounced the attackers.

There is obvious difference between Christians who are readily condemned killers and muslims who do not.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 3:16pm

particularily good to see Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness supporting law and order.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 12:19pm

"Christian militants kill U.K soldiers"

abu,

'Jesus made them do it.'
,  .....did he?????       Cheesy

John 18:36
Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Matthew 26:51
And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear.
52  Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
53  Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?

".....Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword."

abu,

Strange isn't it???

How is it that 'Gabriel' didn't reveal this gem of knowledge to 'the last prophet of God' [Muhammad]?

I didn't find this verse anywhere in the Koran.         Shocked

+++++++

An ISLAMIC cleric tells the truth, about the use of terror [the sword].....

Question:
Was Islam spread by the sword?
Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.
.....Allaah sent him – meaning the Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) – with the guiding Book and the conquering sword, ahead of the Hour, so that Allaah alone would be worshipped with no partner or associate, and his provision was placed beneath the shade of his sword and spear. Allaah has established the religion of Islam with proof and evidence, and with the sword and spear, both together and inseparable.
This is some of the evidence from the Qur’aan and Sunnah. The evidence clearly indicates that the sword is one of the most important means that led to the spread of Islam.
.....If Islam was only spread by peaceful means, what would the kuffaar have to be afraid of? Of mere words spoken on the tongue?

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/43087

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2009 at 12:45pm by Yadda »  

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 1:04pm

Quote:
".....Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword."

It's all empty rhetoric though isn't it.

You don't honestly believe in this, because if you did, you'd be opposing the U.S & Australian use of the "sword" in Iraq and Afghanistan and all the other uses of the "sword" they've engaged in over the past few decades. But you don't, because you support it, and the doctrine of "A just war" has a long history in Christianity. So it's all good and well to claim to be all peaceful, now it's just the *practise* part you need to learn.

And I'm sure... both Protestants and Catholics in in Ireland, believe they've been fighting a "Just war" against the other. Just like Muslim militias believe they're fighting just wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Very few people actually goto war thinking they're fighting an "unjust war".

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 1:17pm

This isn't about Christians, or even Catholics v non-Catholics.

It is about those loyal to Ireland v those loyal to Britain.

There have been plenty of nationalist Protestants.

Also, abu, that orange club you drive past, it is a freemasonry linked society.

This is nothing like a jihad. Civilian casualties are not encouraged.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 1:19pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 9th, 2009 at 3:16pm:
particularily good to see Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness supporting law and order.

Do you have any inkling as to the organised crime syndicates in Northern Ireland and who run them?  Roll Eyes

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #12 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 1:26pm

easel,

It's people fighting war based on their religious loyalties.

Even though there might be some who side with the other, the main division line is Catholic and Protestant, and the Protestants quite clearly use a lot of religious symbolism and slogans in their paramilitary organisations.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 1:44pm

And the Catholic Irish have fought for their faith almost since the rise of English Protestantism. Attending Mass was until recently considered not only a religious obligation but also an act of defiant patriotism.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 1:48pm

It's not religious.

It is people who consider themselves Irish and people who consider themselves English.

The fact that they often have a common religion in mind is irrelevant.

There are non-Catholic Christians who consider themselves Irish and not English, living in that part of the world.

FACT.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print