Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Computer security (Read 1842 times)
easel
Gold Member

Computer security
Nov 12th, 2008 at 5:24pm

Is anyone else having their firewalls constantly alerting them of attacks against their computers?

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Computer security
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 5:25pm

I think that is normal. But it depends on the specific type of attack.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 5:29pm

It has been alerting many times more than it has in the past.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

PointDextrous

Australian Politics

There
Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 2:26pm

Pubic computers dont show these problems.

But I have noticed a hairy pont on logging in to many sites, not just this one.

Ive noticed that wherever I go to log in, I have to type passwords twice.

Gmail is a pain. I have to wait moments before typing, while it fully loads. If I dont, it boots the cursor to the next line and I type my name in the password bit, leaving the name bit empty. Happens so much. Hotmail dosnt do this. Pain in the >>>> for non touch-typing.

Either this is a security measure, or it is a hack system in action. Or their two mirrors there, and only one is passed at a time.

Either way, it is a pain in the neck.

IP Logged

Albus

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 12:30am

Norton antivirus or Norton Internet security question! To be honest with you i and most pro PC users would choose neither!! There are many free programs |"top rated" programs that are very good, free and more importantly, do the job, and are light weight on your PC..Norton is not the best recommendation i would give..
Here are top reviews on the best ..Users reviews and tips..

anti keylogger

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 7:02am

?????
Today's security announcement was brought to you by the good people at Bran World, so let us close with our slogan,
"it is our job, that helps you do your job, so back one out with bran world"

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 12:12pm

The question is which of these free programs have the least viruses implanted to make you buy the full copy?

I think I'll stick to Ubuntu. No need for antivirus software.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 12:40pm

Ubuntu 10,10 is coming out soon muso, and it is supposed to be very stable, and powerful, so it will be a great time to get people to give linux a go, after it is released, in May I think.

9.04, and 9.10 were not as well received as was hoped for, due to some bugginess, but this new version is said to be the first linux ever that gives proprietary operating systems a run for their money, so to speak.

Their aim was to develop something with better usability than OSX, for the average, non-geek user, so with that in mind, I am going to give linux another whirl, and setup 10.10 as a dual boot with windows 7, which I still need to run proprietary software that I own, and am used to.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 2:34pm

mozzaok wrote on Apr 21st, 2010 at 12:40pm:
Ubuntu 10,10 is coming out soon muso, and it is supposed to be very stable, and powerful, so it will be a great time to get people to give linux a go, after it is released, in May I think.

9.04, and 9.10 were not as well received as was hoped for, due to some bugginess, but this new version is said to be the first linux ever that gives proprietary operating systems a run for their money, so to speak.

Their aim was to develop something with better usability than OSX, for the average, non-geek user, so with that in mind, I am going to give linux another whirl, and setup 10.10 as a dual boot with windows 7, which I still need to run proprietary software that I own, and am used to.

Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) is coming out on April 29 last I heard. I've been running the latest beta on my Netbook, but I'm changing that back to Windows 7.  

One weakness is the fact that USB modems are poorly supported. On Windows, you can just run Mobile Partner or (say) Optus Software, and it's relatively easy. It supports SMS, Sim Access and Internet connection in one package. There is no equivalent yet in Ubuntu, although  there have been a lot of suggestions. If I throw away my Huawei E180 and buy an E220, it's supposed to be easier, but no - My ancient Scottish heritage advises me against throwing away hardware that works.

The Lucid Beta is very stable, but so is Karmic (Koala). I run Karmic (9.10) in my other computers and it's a total dream for networking. Sharing printers is much easier than with XP. Overall it leaves XP (eew) for dead, and  Vista (double eew) too.  Having tried Windows 7, I think it's probably on a par with Ubuntu.

Install it on a dedicated partition by the way - don't use Wubi. You'll regret it.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 7:13pm

Sorry muso, you are right, I misunderstood the article that I read, they were indeed talking about the 10.04 release, as being very usable and stable, and were speculating that 10.10, which is not due until towards the end of the year, could be a lot more experimental in it's design focus.

I still like Windows 7 a lot, and think it is the best OS I have used, but even so I am still keen to get to learn to use Linux properly, and will be setting up 10.04 as a dual boot option when it comes out.
Your tip about the partition is duly noted, and with 1 Terabyte drives under ninety bucks, it will be easy to just drop in a new drive dedicated solely to Linux.
As far as networking goes, well windows 7 is almost idiot proof, if neveryone is using 7, so Linux is still primarily about me trying to educate myself beyond just the point and click simplicity of windows.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 7:51am

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/anti-virus-program-goes-beserk/...
Quote:
COMPUTERS in companies, hospitals and schools around the world got stuck repeatedly rebooting themselves today after an antivirus program identified a normal Windows file as a virus.

I still think the antivirus program was correct in identifying Windows as a virus  Grin

By the way, you still have the point and click simplicity with Ubuntu and if you don't like something, you can find a patch to change it.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 6:49pm

The MOST annoying thing about ubuntu, is the lack of support for common devices.

My logitech cordless keyboard and mouse is years old, relatively common, and popular, yet it still has no drivers which allows me to enable it's full functionality.

Of course we should expect logitech to provide us ith the software and drivers, but for whatever reasons, it does not.

This issue, and the myriad of others like it, are what is hampering Ubuntu's widespread adoption.

The last version I tried was the 9.04 Ultimate edition, which comes pre-loaded with the works.
That was a pretty good way to go for multimedia users like myself.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 10:15am

I think the availability of drivers will improve as Ubuntu increases in popularity.

There have been some encouraging developments, such as the fact that Dell now markets certain laptops with Ubuntu pre-installed. (ok, that's old news now)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print