Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New buses too heavy for roads: report (Read 1142 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
New buses too heavy for roads: report
Mar 7th, 2008 at 9:57pm

http://news.smh.com.au/new-buses-too-heavy-for-roads-report/20080307-1xvr.html

A brand new fleet of Sydney buses has been kept off the road because they have been ruled too heavy to be registered.

The eco-friendly buses were due to be in service by the end of 2006 but had been deemed too heavy for the road by State Transit, the Seven Network reports.

Opposition transport spokeswoman Gladys Berejiklian said Sydney commuters were getting back in their cars in favour of catching public transport.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: New buses too heavy for roads: report
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 6:57am

freediver wrote on Mar 7th, 2008 at 9:57pm:
http://news.smh.com.au/new-buses-too-heavy-for-roads-report/20080307-1xvr.html

A brand new fleet of Sydney buses has been kept off the road because they have been ruled too heavy to be registered.

The eco-friendly buses were due to be in service by the end of 2006 but had been deemed too heavy for the road by State Transit, the Seven Network reports.

Opposition transport spokeswoman Gladys Berejiklian said Sydney commuters were getting back in their cars in favour of catching public transport.

I don't think it's the buses - it's the drivers.  Anyone seen those Sydney bus drivers?

But all seriousness aside, how can a bus be too heavy unless the roads are made of plasticine.  We have trucks weighing many, many tonnes ripping through city streets during building construction, how heavy can a bus be?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 9:00am

Quote:
A brand new fleet of Sydney buses has been kept off the road because they have been ruled too heavy to be registered

I heard another reason for them being kept off the road - something about a design fault in the steering.  But they can be modified - so it was said at the time.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 8:45am

There are plenty of suburban roads with a 5 ton load limit. I recall seeing one road after a house was shifted from it on a hot day. The surface was chopped up like it was mud. Those big trucks you see tend to stick to the main arteries.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 9:47am

I don't want to encourage a negative comment from deepthought about Labor, but the NSW state government would have to be the most incompetent and hopeless government we've ever had.  You would think before spending all that money - they would do a feasibility study or whatever they have to do to ensure that these buses would be suitable for suburban roads.

The hundreds of millions of dollars that have been wasted on useless projects and infrastructure by this government is criminal.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Melbourne train services get a boost
Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 2:54pm

http://news.smh.com.au/melbourne-train-services-get-a-boost/20080409-24u1.html

More than 200 new weekly train services are to be introduced to Melbourne's metropolitan train network.

It's the biggest overhaul of the rail timetable since the City Loop was completed in May 1985, the Victorian government said.

Victorian Premier John Brumby said the changes are part of a three-step plan to improve reliability and ease the squeeze for passengers.

"Accelerated population growth, increased CBD employment and petrol costs all mean that more people than ever are using Melbourne's trains," Mr Brumby said.

The rail network has recorded its highest ever patronage of 189.4 million trips a year.

The plan will see 105 new weekly services rolled out on April 27.

At least 95 new weekly services will follow in November and additional off-peak services in mid-2009.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 5:45pm

mantra wrote on Mar 10th, 2008 at 9:47am:
I don't want to encourage a negative comment from deepthought about Labor, but the NSW state government would have to be the most incompetent and hopeless government we've ever had.  You would think before spending all that money - they would do a feasibility study or whatever they have to do to ensure that these buses would be suitable for suburban roads.

The hundreds of millions of dollars that have been wasted on useless projects and infrastructure by this government is criminal.  

All Liebor Governments are like that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print