Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Obama and McCain back preferential voting (Read 13018 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Obama and McCain back preferential voting
Feb 26th, 2008 at 11:52am

Both Barak Obama (leading Democrat candidate) and John McCain (leading Republican candidate) back the adoption of Instant Runoff Voting (ie, our system or preferential voting) in the US. They currently use first past the post for most elections, though many regional elections already use IRV. This is great news for democracy as it will give the system global publicity. Greater adoption of IRV will lead to greater political stability and greater accountability in established democracies.

http://www.fairvote.org/irv/

The two frontrunners for their party's nominations, Republican John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama, are both active backers of instant runoff voting (IRV). In 2002, Sen. McCain recorded a message for backers of IRV in Alaska, while that year Sen. Obama was the lead sponsor of legislation to implement IRV for certain Illinois elections.  With most third party candidates also supporting IRV, we may see a rare issue of consensus this November, although neither McCain nor Obama have yet secured their party's nomination.

In the states, instant runoff voting appears next on the ballot in Santa Fe (NM), where it has the backing of the mayor, local newspapers and key community leaders. It also is advancing legislatively in states like Vermont.

Newly elected candidates are not the only winners from Election Day 2007. Voters in Sarasota (FL) and Aspen (CO) voted by more than three to one to move to instant runoff voting. 67% of voters in Pierce County (WA) voted to keep IRV on track for next year's county executive race, while voters in Clallam County narrowly rejected establishing an IRV option for now.
More and more places now use IRV. San Francisco held its fourth IRV election overall, with first-round winners in three citywide races, including mayor. Takoma Park (MD) smoothly held its first IRV election for mayor, with nary a single spoiled ballot, and the city of Hendersonville (NC) had a good first IRV election for two city council seats. Cambridge (MA)
held city council and school committee elections with the choice voting system of proportional voting, now in its seventh decade of use.

Cary (NC) on October 9th became the latest city to implement instant runoff voting (IRV) with great success. The city avoided an expensive runoff, and an exit poll showed three-to-one support for IRV over traditional runoffs and 96% understanding of the system. Three North Carolina dailies called for expanding IRV elections in their state. Meanwhile, IRV is on the ballot in several new cities and counties this fall, garnering newspaper support.

Article on adoption of IRV within the US:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/adoption-instant-runoff-voting-US.html

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Obama and McCain back preferential voting
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 4:11pm

Missing post from 'the crash':

Looks like Clinton has finally lost, which is good news. She was stooping to baiting the public with lower petrol prices, which are already lower in the US than most developed countries.

Hopefully Obama will do something about electoral reform.

I've heard conflicting reports that Hillary
a) has pulled out of the race,
b) is going to stay in it for as long as she possibly can,
c) is threatening to destroy Obama's chances against McCain by directing her supporters to not vote or vote for the opposition,
d) has reached an agreement with Obama for her to be VP, so that she can have him killed and usurp the presidency.

IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 10:09pm

Reading how desperate she has become in the death throws of the campaign, my money would be on d).

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 2:32am

freediver wrote on Feb 26th, 2008 at 11:52am:
They currently use first past the post for most elections, though many regional elections already use IRV.

I'm still having trouble grasping the US voting system (re: my other thread on the topic). How can a candidate win the popular vote and still lose the state election on delegate count? Who are these delegates, and why are there super delegates? What's so super about them and how did they become so super? How is this democracy? Isn't democracy a majority count of the populace (ie: the popular vote) not delegates?

I've asked several US ex-pats but no one can give me a satisfactory answer. I'm still searching for answers.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 7:08am

According to early news reports - she's still in the running - regardless of how hopeless it looks.

The Clintons have invested $10 million of their own money - so no doubt she will hang in there.  Where there's life there's hope.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 7:59am

Acid Monkey wrote on Jun 5th, 2008 at 2:32am:
freediver wrote on Feb 26th, 2008 at 11:52am:
They currently use first past the post for most elections, though many regional elections already use IRV.

I'm still having trouble grasping the US voting system (re: my other thread on the topic). How can a candidate win the popular vote and still lose the state election on delegate count? Who are these delegates, and why are there super delegates? What's so super about them and how did they become so super? How is this democracy? Isn't democracy a majority count of the populace (ie: the popular vote) not delegates?

I've asked several US ex-pats but no one can give me a satisfactory answer. I'm still searching for answers.

I'm with you mate, I have never attempted to understand it because it always seemed so complex, and of course of little relevance to we Aussies.

Any seppos who can explain it?

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 8:14am

it's real democracy poorly presented... as apposed to our westminster system devised by blue bloods.

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

athiest
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 11:04am

freediver wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 4:11pm:
Missing post from 'the crash':

Looks like Clinton has finally lost, which is good news. She was stooping to baiting the public with lower petrol prices, which are already lower in the US than most developed countries.

Hopefully Obama will do something about electoral reform.

I've heard conflicting reports that Hillary
a) has pulled out of the race,
b) is going to stay in it for as long as she possibly can,
c) is threatening to destroy Obama's chances against McCain by directing her supporters to not vote or vote for the opposition,
d) has reached an agreement with Obama for her to be VP, so that she can have him killed and usurp the presidency.

d, seems her best option, but on a serious note I hope Obama has plenty of security around him there are some crazy right whinge extremists about that will never accept a black man as president.
Just take a look at this loony, it says it all about the right.

"I think that would just encourage those who wanted completely to destabilise and destroy Iraq, and create chaos and victory for the terrorists to hang on and hope for (an) Obama victory," Mr Howard told the Nine Network.

"If I was running al-Qaeda in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008, and pray, as many times as possible, for a victory not only for Obama, but also for the Democrats."

Thank god for Australia that this loony is gone, imagine how bad relations would be with the USA if Howard were still there.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Adviser says Clinton to end campaign
Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 1:44pm

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5izQosMtCfjNjE1uAP6fQV2BZ_qWwD913J4G80

By BETH FOUHY – 3 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton has decided to end her historic presidential campaign while leaving her options open to retain her delegates and promote her issue agenda, a campaign official says.

The former first lady told House Democrats during a private conference call Wednesday that she will express support for Barack Obama's candidacy and congratulate him for gathering the necessary delegates to be the party's nominee.

"Senator Clinton will be hosting an event in Washington on Friday to thank her supporters and express her support for Senator Obama and party unity," her communications director Howard Wolfson said.

Also in the speech, Clinton will urge once-warring Democrats to focus on the general election and defeating Republican presidential candidate John McCain.

The adviser said Clinton and her lieutenants had discussed various ways a presidential candidacy can end, including suspending the campaign to retain control of her convention delegates and sustain her visibility in an effort to promote her signature issue of health care.

The other options include freeing her delegates to back Obama and ending her candidacy unconditionally. The official stressed that neither Clinton nor her inner circle had decided specifically what course to take other than to recognize that the active state of her bid to become the nation's first female president had ended.

On the telephone call with impatient House supporters, Clinton was urged to draw a close to the contentious campaign, or at least express support for Obama. Her decision to acquiesce caught many in the campaign by surprise and left the campaign scrambling to finalize the logistics and specifics behind her campaign departure.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton planned to throw support to Democratic rival Barack Obama Friday and call on Democrats to unite against Republican John McCain, her campaign announced Wednesday.

"Senator Clinton will be hosting an event in Washington on Friday to thank her supporters and express her support for Senator Obama and party unity," her communications director Howard Wolfson said.

The announcement brought to an end the historic campaign pitting the first serious female candidate against the most viable black contender ever.

Obama secured the delegates Tuesday night to claim the Democratic nomination, but Clinton stopped short of acknowledging that milestone.

Clinton agreed to back Obama during conference call Wednesday with impatient House Democrats who urged her to end the division between the Obama and Clinton camps, said a senior campaign adviser, speaking on condition of anonymity because the candidate has not authorized public discussion of the private conference call with supporters.

The adviser said Clinton will congratulate Obama for having gathered enough delegates to clinch the nomination, a step she planned to take Tuesday but postponed.

Several of the lawmakers on the call said they would be willing to appear at Clinton's side if she were to hold an event supporting Obama. The details of the conversation were described by people familiar with the discussions.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 9:19pm

Hilary Clinton could run again if she wanted to..which is some consolation I suppose.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Clinton endorses Obama
Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 6:37pm

Well at least she didn't try to spoil it for him:

In emotional end to her campaign, Clinton endorses Obama

http://news.smh.com.au/world/in-emotional-end-to-her-campaign-clinton-endorses-obama-20080608-2neo.html

Hillary Clinton on Saturday threw her full support behind Barack Obama, as she unequivocally endorsed the Democratic White House nominee and vowed to do all she could to make her former foe president.

Clinton's quest to be the first woman commander in chief ended with her imploring her backers to vote for Obama, saying he was a man of "grace and grit" who was, like her, tilting at history after living the American dream.

"The way to continue our fight now, to accomplish the goals for which we stand is to take our energy, our passions, our strengths and do all we can to help elect Barack Obama the next president of the United States," Clinton said, basking in the devotion of around 2,000 supporters at a raucous rally.

"Today, as I suspend my campaign, I congratulate him on the victory he has won and the extraordinary race he has run," said Clinton, who angered some Democrats with her defiant tone after Obama clinched the nomination last week.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 8:43pm

Hillary Clinton's speech was commendable - she bowed out very gracefully.   Obama looks like he has a clear run now.  McCain looks as white as a sheet and he's in bad health - but he's hanging in there.  He's a strong person as well.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 8:52pm

mantra wrote on Jun 8th, 2008 at 8:43pm:
Hillary Clinton's speech was commendable - she bowed out very gracefully.   Obama looks like he has a clear run now.  McCain looks as white as a sheet and he's in bad health - but he's hanging in there.  He's a strong person as well.

Well, for an OLD WOMAN (she's over 60, isn't she?), Hillary spent $10 million of her retirement fund on this idiocy.  No doubt she had to eat "crow" and appear nice ..... bet she kicked a few things and gave Bill a mouthful too.  Grin

The US of A is not ready for a female Prez .... nor are they ready for a Black one ....... McCain, regardless of how OLD he is will, I predict, be the next POTUSA.  Wink

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 8:58pm

Quote:
The US of A is not ready for a female Prez .... nor are they ready for a Black one ....... McCain, regardless of how OLD he is will, I predict, be the next POTUSA.   

The USA probably doesn't want an old neo-con running the country again either.

Why do you say Obama is black - when his mother was white?

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 4:48pm

Quote:
The USA probably doesn't want an old neo-con running the country again either.

Why do you say Obama is black - when his mother was white?

Republicans will vote for McCain, Democrats will vote for Obama.  Grin

Obama calls himself black, doesn't he?  What would you call him?  Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print