freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
mass hysteria?
Aug 27th, 2007 at 1:01pm

Has anyone else noticed this?

More Aussies suffering from mass anxiety

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/More-Aussies-suffering-from-mass-anxiety/2007/08/27/1188066989116.html

Australians could be developing a mass anxiety disorder as the level of fear in the community rises, and it is the Muslim community that feels it most, new research shows.

Macquarie University psychologist Dr Doris McIlwain has addressed the issue of fear as part of National Science Week in Canberra.

Dr McIlwain believes people are constantly reminded of the need to be suspicious of things that are unusual and different and that this could be turning Australia into a society with a sort of "mass anxiety disorder".

"Fear makes you hyper-vigilant to certain things in the environment...it makes you scan the environment for threats and can make you miss out on the more worthwhile things," she said.

As part of the survey researchers developed a "fear scale" to measure the effect of fear on behaviour with a score of 90 meaning people would not leave the house.

The average score for the population was 21, but the Muslim community scored well over 40.

The survey also indicates that the media may play a role in perpetuating this fear with 67.2 per cent of the Muslim community feeling they where negatively portrayed by the media, compared to only 19 per cent in the broader community.

Professor Balnaves said people must be wary of the power that fear has over them, he said.

"Fear can be important in motivating us to protect ourselves, but it can also lead to social isolation and psychological damage."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: mass hysteria?
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2007 at 9:39pm

Yes, I've noticed a heightened awareness .
Ever since we started to become targets of terrorists, saw suicide bombers, saw innocent people have their throats cut on tv, saw militant muslims threaten freedom of speech all over the globe.

Yes, I've noticed it.

You ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2007 at 9:42pm

I'm more worried about getting run over on my way to work.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2007 at 10:00pm

That was a very relevant article Freediver.  Ever since 9/11 - we have been bombarded with propaganda and the war on terror.  Our radio and television stations constantly send out brainwashing messages to remind us to be constantly alert and suspicious.

Muslims in Australia have been ostracised - after the Cronulla riots - even more so. 

The Coalition of the Willing is responsible for this - their greed and deadly interference iin the Middle East has caused many of us anxiety and suspicion.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2007 at 10:31pm

mantra - muslims are responsible for ALL the terrorist attacks.

Who are you going to blame for the mass murder of Aussies in bali ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print