Send Topic Print
QLD council mergers (Read 7266 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
QLD council mergers
Jul 28th, 2007 at 6:22pm

What does everyone think of the mergers of the local councils in QLD? Is it going to affect Labor's chances in the federal election? Will the sacked mayors be able to stir up enough anti-labor sentiment, or will the public see through it all? Will people be afraid of losing services?

I personally think it's a good idea to reduce the burden of local government on the community. But we should have had a referendum on it, or at least more public debate. It could have been done one region at a time.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: QLD council mergers
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 6:29pm

Burden of local govt? It's the opposite of what should be done. Get rid of the state govt altogether and give more power and money to the councils

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Chamber agrees Sydney's 'overgoverned'
Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 4:39pm

Why?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/chamber-agrees-sydneys-overgoverned/2007/08/03/1185648142263.html

The Sydney Chamber of Commerce has backed calls for a major rationalisation of the city's municipal governance, saying the existing "clumsy arrangement" was stifling development.

"Sydney is spectacularly overgoverned with 43 local government areas and over 400 local government politicians," Chamber executive director Patricia Forsythe said.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 5:13pm

Yes, I'ld agree. Aust is over governed. It could do easily and better with one layer of govt less.

The middle managers are the ones to go.
Need govt for Aust as a whole, and need a govt for local areas.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Business, Liberals, should support Beattie’s ratio
Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2007 at 1:19pm

Wanting to get rid of state governments is not reason not to rationalise local government. If anything it would make it more important.

Business, Liberals, should support Beattie’s rationalisation

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/letters/index.php/theaustralian/comments/business_liberals_should_support_beatties_rationalisation/

NOW is the time for the business community and dinkum Liberals to get off their backsides and support the Beattie Government's rationalisation of the delivery of local government services in Queensland.

It is patently obvious that the former system was highly inefficient, open to potential corruption and, outside the south-east of the state, was a breeding ground for National Party career hopefuls.

It would be prudent to remind all Australians that one shouldn't become "constitutionally confused" by John Howard's recent assault on federalism - local governments exist by virtue of state legislation. Voters had the chance in the 1990s to recognise local government in the Constitution, but the referendum was rejected. I seem to recall that the Coalition parties were opposed to the idea.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2007 at 3:58pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Qlds premier shoots rudd in foot
Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 8:27pm

Isn't that amazing ?
First beattie was going to "amalgamate" 1/3 - 1/2 of the councils.
Then he was going to sue any mayors who had a rederendum

Now he's going to fire then.

No free speech under a labour govt. The signal's loud and clear.
I wonder how many seats that will give to Howard ?

IP Logged

Progs

Port Stephens, NSW
Re: Qlds premier shoots rudd in foot
Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 8:59pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Aug 9th, 2007 at 8:27pm:
I wonder how many seats that will give to Howard ?

Uh, try minus 9 or minus 10.

An Aussie for Progressive Progressivness.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 9:21pm

Yes Sprintcyclist - that was a bad move from Beattie at this time and has put a lot of people offside. He chose to do this right before a Federal election and it looks like he's deliberately sabotaging Rudd and just bulldozing his way over the little people.

But Kennett did the same thing in Victoria and Howard didn't even blink - so there are obviously double standards going on here.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 11:23pm

mantra - what did kennett do there ?

Overall, beatties idea has some merit. The way he did it was very dictatorial.
Surely he can't be that ignorant of how people outback feel ?
if I was living there I'ld change to a liberal voter for all elections for about 2 decades after that.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 7:32am

Kennett was even more arrogant than Beattie - he closed schools, sold off all Victoria's assets and outsourced and amalgamated councils - John Howard didn't say a word.

He got the budget back on track - but unemployment was higher in Victoria during his years, than anywhere else in Australia.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 9:21am

aaahhh I vaguely recall that. I'm in QLd, so the only news we get is generally QLD, based.
Had not used the net for news till recently.

Was Vic. in serious economic trouble then too ? Did kennett drag it back from the abyss ?
I'm really not sure when that was the case, think it was around then .

I think he slashed the govt workforce too, cut costs dramatically

IP Logged

Progs

Port Stephens, NSW
Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 5:24pm

Sprintcyclist, so what you're saying is that it was ok for Kennet to slash public jobs and streamline the state because he was a Liberal? Because thats what it sounds like you're saying. And if you actually paid attention to what the council amalgamation plan entailed you would've realised that outback councils are going to remain unchanged, while coastal, high growth councils are the ones being joined together.

An Aussie for Progressive Progressivness.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 9:54pm

Hi progs,
i was just discussing what happened. Are you aware of the circumstances there then ?

I have not paid that close an attention to beatties plan. Thought remore councils were being amalgamated, they are complaining as well.
I object not to beatties plan, but to his methodology.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Aug 15th, 2007 at 10:04am

His methodology was to get a bunch of informed people together, including people from both the Labor and Liberal party, do a proper investigation and act on it's recommendations, then ignore the people with obvious vested interests who try to protect their taxpayer funded paycheck. What's wrong with that?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 3:05pm

Seems those effected are not too pleased about it

"Not one vote for forced Rosanne Barrett
August 16, 2007 12:00am

RESIDENTS of Warroo Shire in southwest Queensland have voted overwhelmingly against amalgamation in an informal poll that almost got the council sacked.

Mayor Donna Stewart said half the 700 residents had responded to the survey, with not a single vote in favour of the merger with Roma, Bungil, Bendemere and Booringa.
Have your say in our on-line pollLocal Government Minister Andrew Fraser last week threatened to dismiss the council if it proceeded with the voluntary postal survey, but later retreated from the threat, saying the poll did not constitute a formal vote.

Meanwhile, it emerged yesterday that sitting mayors may be pitted against each other if councils are sacked for holding formal referendums.

In a move that could fuel animosities between regional leaders, Mr Fraser would not rule out the possibility of appointing mayors from opposing councils to oversee another council in the event of a sacking.

About a dozen councils face the threat of dismissal over their plans to hold referendums on forced council mergers.

The State Government last month announced plans to merge 156 councils into 72."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22250876-952,00.html

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print