Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Elderly (75+) drivers to need medicals (Read 4121 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Elderly (75+) drivers to need medicals
Jul 20th, 2007 at 6:44pm

Elderly NSW drivers face restrictions

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Elderly-NSW-drivers-face-restrictions/2007/07/20/1184560022712.html

Tougher licence restrictions for elderly drivers have been proposed in a NSW Roads and Traffic Authority discussion paper.

The authority's paper says dementia and vision problems are likely to be the most significant health issues affecting older drivers.

The current system requires annual medical tests for all NSW drivers once they turn 80 and annual driving tests for car and rider licence holders from age 85.

Under the system proposed in the discussion paper, annual medical testing would have to be undertaken from age 75.

At age 85, city licence holders would be restricted to driving within a 10km radius of their home.

For rural residents, a home-to-town restriction would be placed on their licence once they turn 85.

Elderly drivers who depend a great deal on their cars would have the opportunity to show they have the driving skills to prolong the provisions covering their licence.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Re: Elderly (75+) drivers to need medicals
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 6:47pm

too right

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 6:57pm

and so they should have a medical. Reflexes slowed and they are dangerous, most!

This topic on cracker!

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 12:10am

They also need 'm' plates.

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 9:09am

Listening to all the elderly people ringing up talkback complaining about this injustice makes you see their point of view.

But I believe it's necessary to lower the age for medical checks.  Oceans has pointed out that their reflexes have slowed right down and I agree.  I have seen some elderly people who can barely walk and take ten minutes to get in their car and drive.  If they are like this just moving around - how do they cope on the roads.

Many a time I've seen an elderly person reverse out without looking or make an illegal turn or drive on the wrong side of the road.

I'm sure many of them are very competent - but many of them aren't.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 4:32pm

mantra wrote on Jul 21st, 2007 at 9:09am:
Listening to all the elderly people ringing up talkback complaining about this injustice makes you see their point of view.

But I believe it's necessary to lower the age for medical checks.  Oceans has pointed out that their reflexes have slowed right down and I agree.  I have seen some elderly people who can barely walk and take ten minutes to get in their car and drive.  If they are like this just moving around - how do they cope on the roads.

Many a time I've seen an elderly person reverse out without looking or make an illegal turn or drive on the wrong side of the road.

I'm sure many of them are very competent - but many of them aren't.

I've had the displeasure of riding in the car with someone who thinks they're capable of driving safely when they're not (Like those calling the radio stations, mantra). Scariest moment of my life.  Shocked

At a certain age... let's say... 65... drivers should DEFINITELY have medical checkups.

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 4:45pm

- Politics » How old is too old to drive. How old is too old to drive.posted on 14 jul 07 - 7:45 pm by auz_gurl I have been very frustrated with the way elderly pple drive.

They pull out in front of cars..do the most dangerous things on the road.

Cant see..cant hear..not aware..reactions severly slowed etc.

They say the young are a danger on the road and the age to have a license to drive should be 18 at the youngest.The age to forfeit ones license should be no later than 75., maybe even younger.

Driving is not a right its a privelidge.

But I intend to give up my license when Im 70..75 at the latest
-----------------

this is my post on cracker.........I stand by the fact I will give up my license when i find my reflexes hearing and eyesight have diminished.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 7:35pm

That's a big call Oceans. How would you know? Some 80 year olds probably are capable of driving, even if they should be driving a bit slower.

Bribie Island is renowned for this. It's mostly retirees. It has lots of roundabouts. The old people drive straight through them without even looking.

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 11:36pm

The system is screwed up anyway.  I mean look at all the terrible Asian drivers, some underhanded goings on in the RTA with the Asian community me thinks.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
should old drivers get 'S' plates?
Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 10:04pm

Would this lead to harassment of older drivers on and off the road? Would people give them more space or just get angrier at them for being on the road? Shouldn't you assume all drivers are potentially imapired?

http://news.smh.com.au/nrma-rejects-splates-for-seniors/20080120-1mzk.html

Calls to require senior drivers in NSW to display "S-plates" on their vehicles do not have the support of the NRMA, the motoring organisation says.

The plate proposal, for all drivers aged over 85, has been criticised by pensioners for making them feel like targets on the road.

"S-plates were an idea raised by some NRMA members during our community consultation on the licensing of older drivers, but it is not a notion accepted by us," Mr Evans said in a statement.

The RTA has released a discussion paper which identified major changes for the licensing of older drivers, including restricting those aged over 85 to the familiar roads within a 10km radius of their home.

The RTA received more than 24,000 submissions in response to the discussion paper, and many called for the introduction of a S-plate to identify older drivers.

Thousands of submissions also opposed any S-plate move.

Older drivers have pointed to crash statistics which show they have less accidents than younger motorists, while they also warn a S-plate could cause a spike in road rage incidents.

"S-plates give rise to harassment, if elderly drivers are marked out," Paul Versteege, of the Combined Pensioner and Superannuants Association, told Fairfax.

Driving simulator to test older drivers

http://news.smh.com.au/driving-simulator-to-test-older-drivers/20080201-1pgy.html

A new simulator which replicates driving conditions including night, rain and fog will help accident researchers test the abilities of Australia's growing number of older drivers.

The simulator, known as the EF-X, will help researchers at Melbourne's Monash University Accident Research Centre (MUARC) compile detailed and reliable data on the behaviour of Australian motorists.

The first major project will focus on older drivers who will undergo an eight minute simulated drive testing their skills in a range of situations such as merging, major intersections, right turns and avoiding sudden obstacles.

MUARC senior research fellow Dr Judith Charlton said the number of drivers aged 65 and over is set to double on Australian roads in the next 30 years.

"Understanding the behaviour of older drivers is crucial for determining how roads, cars, training programs, in-car technologies and government policies could make Australian roads as safe as possible for all road users," Dr Charlton said.

Change roads to suit old drivers: study

http://news.smh.com.au/change-roads-to-suit-old-drivers-study/20080318-207b.html

The nature of road accidents will change as Australia's population ages, with more crashes caused by delayed reactions rather than risk taking, new research has found.

Queensland University of Technology's Dr Mark King will present a new approach to road safety at a conference in Brisbane next week.

Dr King said ways to make roads safer for older drivers included improving road signs and increasing the number of intersection traffic lights with right turn arrows.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2008 at 8:09pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print