Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE QLD police to electrocute crims with tasers (Read 3039 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
SE QLD police to electrocute crims with tasers
Jul 1st, 2007 at 5:58pm

Queensland criminals in for a shock

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/queensland-criminals-in-for-a-shock/2007/06/30/1182624239979.html

Queensland police will on Sunday begin a 12-month trial of electrical stun guns in Brisbane and the state's greater south-east.

The taser guns as they are also known operate by transmitting an electrical current which causes involuntary muscle contractions and loss of mobility, usually rendering an offender unable to fight or attack.

To date, 118 general duties officers have been trained to use the stun guns, or electro-muscular disruption devices as Queensland police call them.

Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson said the devices provide police with another non-lethal force option.

"First response officers are increasingly being confronted with situations that required options in the use of force beyond those currently available to them," Mr Atkinson said in a statement.

Police Minister Judy Spence said capsicum spray does not always have an effect on offenders under the influence of alcohol and drugs.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Re: SE QLD police to electrocute crims with tasers
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 6:04pm

I love it Cool

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 6:05pm

It could come in handy for breaking up peaceful rallies....

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 6:06pm

freediver wrote on Jul 1st, 2007 at 6:05pm:
It could come in handy for breaking up peaceful rallies....

In a Communist state.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 11:26pm

Nice work Qld.  Smiley

Man... I don't know about anyone else... but Qld is fast becoming Australia's superior state.

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Police use taser to save pregnant woman
Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 2:43pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Police-use-taser-to-save-pregnant-woman/2007/07/06/1183351412954.html

Queensland Police have used a taser gun to subdue a middle-aged woman attempting to strangle a younger pregnant woman on Brisbane's bayside.

The officers arrived at the Alexandra Hills home on Thursday night around 11pm to find the 45-year-old woman with her hands around the throat of the pregnant 27-year-old.

A police spokeswoman said police used the electroshock gun to diffuse the situation and neither woman was injured in the incident.

Qld govt claims success with Tasers

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Qld-govt-claims-success-with-Tasers/2007/08/08/1186530437749.html

Queensland is claiming success in its police trial of Taser stun guns, but has yet to decide whether to extend their use state-wide.

"In just over a month the Tasers have been used on 11 occasions without incident," Ms Spence said.

"On each occasion there was no injury to the police officer, no injury to the offender and no medical attention was required."

Ms Spence said the Tasers had also been presented but not discharged on 19 occasions.

"So on 19 occasions, the person of interest surrendered to officers each time without the need for the Taser device to be discharged," she said.

Ms Spence said in one incident at Nobbys Beach on the Gold Coast, police deployed a Taser on a man who allegedly attacked a female constable and tried to grab her gun belt.

Police also used the device on a woman who was allegedly strangling a heavily pregnant woman in Alexandra Hills in Brisbane's eastern suburbs, and on a man who allegedly tried to attack police in Lutwyche, in Brisbane's north.

The Queensland Police Union has backed the use of Tasers statewide, but civil libertarians have branded them as a highly dangerous weapon which can potentially kill.

NSW this week gave the go-ahead for Tasers to be used against armed or violent criminals by the state's Public Order and Riot Squad, but they won't be given to general duties officers.

Taser used on man smeared with faeces

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/taser-used-on-man-smeared-with-faeces/2007/08/12/1186857330297.html

Police have used a stun gun to subdue a man who smeared himself with faeces and blood after being thrown out of a Gold Coast nightclub.

Tasers used on two armed men in Qld

http://news.smh.com.au/tasers-used-on-two-armed-men-in-qld/20071231-1jld.html

Police have used Tasers on two alleged armed men in south-east Queensland, with the devices being deployed four times across the region in two days.

In one incident overnight, patrolling officers observed a man walking along the northbound lanes of the Gold Coast Highway at Miami while allegedly armed with a large knife about 1.50am (AEST).

Police asked the man to drop the knife, but he allegedly refused and made threats towards the officers.

The highway was closed for 10 minutes as police tried to negotiate with him, but a Taser was deployed when he allegedly continued to behave in an "aggressive and agitated manner".

The 37-year-old Miami man was charged with four counts of serious assault and one count of going armed in public to cause fear.

In Eagleby, in Brisbane's south, police used a Taser after a 31-year-old man reported he was assaulted by a 28-year-old man at a Palmer Street address about 2am.

The younger man allegedly barricaded himself in a bedroom armed with a large knife and a knife sharpener when police arrived.

He refused to leave the room and the Taser was deployed.

He was later charged with contravening a direction and assault occasioning bodily harm.

Early on Sunday, police used Tasers on two other men in Brisbane's CBD and in Loganlea, in the city's south.

Taser used on man armed with tomahawk

http://news.smh.com.au/taser-used-on-man-armed-with-tomahawk/20080103-1jz2.html

Police have used a Taser on a man armed with a tomahawk during a two-and-a-half-hour stand-off in far north Queensland.

Police said the armed man walked out around 4.30pm but continued to refuse to surrender, with police deploying a Taser.

He was taken into custody and is being assessed in hospital.

It is the fifth time Queensland police have used Tasers during arrests in a week.

The other incidents occurred in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast.

Vic police union calls for stun guns

http://news.smh.com.au/vic-police-union-calls-for-stun-guns/20080103-1jyf.html

Victoria's police union and a police operations expert have renewed calls for stun guns to be used across the force as a police shooting victim fights for his life in a Melbourne hospital.

A 34-year-old man, named by News Limited as Jason Farrow, was allegedly wielding a knife when he was shot twice in the upper body by a policeman at Tatura early on Wednesday.

Capsicum spray was used on the man as he rushed police, but it had no effect, witnesses said.

Qld police to get stun guns

http://news.smh.com.au/qld-police-to-get-stun-guns/20080129-1oqs.html

Queensland's frontline police officers will be equipped with Taser guns from July, the state's police union says.

The meeting came days after youths hurled bottles and kicked and spat on police officers during Australia Day celebrations on the Gold and Sunshine coasts.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2008 at 12:49pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print