Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
religion, charity exempt from do not call list (Read 2146 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
religion, charity exempt from do not call list
May 13th, 2007 at 9:31pm

Do Not Call Register thwarts charity

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Do-Not-Call-Register-thwarts-charity/2007/05/13/1178994982714.html

A Queensland charity says the federal government's new Do Not Call register is thwarting its fundraising attempts.

One of the state's leading disability service providers, the Cerebral Palsy League, says its telemarketers are reeling from caller backlash caused by confusion about the new register.

On May 3, federal Communications Minister Helen Coonan launched the register and warned telemarketing companies they could be fined up to $1 million if they called people who had signed up to the register.

Senator Coonan said her main priority was to protect consumers from unwanted callers.

But there were exemptions, including educational and religious bodies and charities.

"I was talking to one of our telemarketers on Friday, who has cerebral palsy herself, and she was in my office crying because of the rudeness of people."

"There is a fair amount of education that needs to happen out there."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: religion, charity exempt from do not call list
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2007 at 6:09pm

This is just going to open it up to abuse. Most of this 'research' is not in any way academic or 'well structured' and would be regarded by most people as telemarketing. It's basically where they call you up and ask you if you are interested in their products. They could get away with the longitudinal issue by phasing it out over a few years.

Research calls to be allowed on Sundays

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Research-calls-to-be-allowed-on-Sundays/2007/05/30/1180205327068.html

The communications watchdog will permit social and market researchers to ring people who signed the national "do not call" register on Sundays.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) announced it had decided to vary restrictions on research calls to allow them to take place between 9am and 5pm on Sundays.

Research calls were already permitted between 9am and 8.30pm on weekdays and between 9am and 5pm on Saturdays.

"ACMA has decided to vary the industry standard because the authority reached the conclusion that prohibiting research calls on a Sunday could potentially reduce the benefits to the community from well-structured research," authority chairman Chris Chapman said in a statement.

"This view is based on strong evidence provided to ACMA that the prohibition could undermine the value of longitudinal data sets where data had previously been collected on Sundays, as well as increase the potential for bias because samples were not representative."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print