Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alan Jones could face jail over breach (Read 4516 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Alan Jones could face jail over breach
Mar 19th, 2007 at 8:50pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Alan-Jones-could-face-jail-over-breach/2007/03/19/1174152944243.html

Sydney radio broadcaster Alan Jones faces a possible jail term after naming a child witness at a murder trial.

Deputy Chief Magistrate Helen Syme on Monday found that when Jones named the boy on air, he breached legislation prohibiting the naming of juveniles involved in criminal proceedings.

The offence carries a maximum penalty of a $5,500 fine and 12 months in jail.

The witness was reportedly aged 14 when he saw a fatal stabbing in 2004, Downing Centre Local Court was told.

After he gave evidence at the trial of the alleged murderer in July 2005, his name was published in The Daily Telegraph - a report to which Jones referred to during his morning show on Sydney radio station 2GB.

In evidence, Jones said he assumed some form of consent had been given, because he "saw the article in the Daily Telegraph, and considered the newspaper to be a responsible and reputable one".

However, Ms Syme noted there was nothing in the newspaper report to suggest such consent had been obtained, and Jones did not check whether it had been.

The defendants had disputed the boy's age and although it could not be precisely established, Ms Syme accepted that the witness was born between 1988 and 1992 and was under 18 at the relevant time.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Alan Jones could face jail over breach
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 12:02pm

All I can say is:  Grin

IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 12:10pm

In evidence, Jones said he assumed some form of consent had been given, because he "saw the article in the Daily Telegraph, and considered the newspaper to be a responsible and reputable one".

Grin Grin Grin
that's funny, relying on a newspaper.

since when is a newspaper supposed to be a reliable source? you would have thought Alan Jones would be aware that newspapers can be quite shonky at times.

in fact all types of media are shonky, a good example is Today Tonight re. the granny & chains & the attempt to meet with Mercedes Corby.

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 12:42pm

Gavin wrote on Mar 20th, 2007 at 12:10pm:
in fact all types of media are shonky, a good example is Today Tonight re. the granny & chains & the attempt to meet with Mercedes Corby.

Not true, I still have faith in the ABC & SBS, some of the better newspapers well SMH and the Australian anyway. You can't use TT as an example thats bottom of the barrel stuff.

At least ABC and SBS still take the news seriously and have strict charters to live up to.

IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 12:47pm

zoso wrote on Mar 20th, 2007 at 12:42pm:
Gavin wrote on Mar 20th, 2007 at 12:10pm:

Not true, I still have faith in the ABC & SBS, some of the better newspapers well SMH and the Australian anyway. You can't use TT as an example thats bottom of the barrel stuff.

At least ABC and SBS still take the news seriously and have strict charters to live up to.

Fair enough, the Daily Telegraph and Today Tonight are the bottom of the barrel.

It's just funny that Alan Jones would rely on the Daily Telegraph, and use that as an excuse to say that he thought consent was given to relive the 14-year-old's name.

IP Logged

sprintcyclist
Ex Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 1:45pm

Yes, he should be jailed. I doubt he will be.
To say "someone else did it, so it is ok" is not a reason under the legal system.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 2:44pm

HE'LL FIT RIGHT IN!
He is a soap dropper! Grin

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

sprintcyclist
Ex Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 3:46pm

hahahahh - great phrase.
Yes, a soapdropper from WAY back !!

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 11:22pm

Pillow biter, greek stylist, poo jabber etc.....

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Jones loses appeal over naming juvenile
Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 4:22pm

http://news.smh.com.au/jones-loses-appeal-over-naming-juvenile/20080211-1rhc.html

Sydney broadcaster Alan Jones held an "unreasonable" belief he could name a juvenile witness in a murder trial, a judge said in dismissing Jones' conviction appeal.

Contrary to a magistrate's findings, Judge Michael Finnane found that Jones honestly - although unreasonably - believed consent had been given for the name to be broadcast.

The judge also rejected conviction challenges by 2GB's licensee, Harbour Radio, and The Daily Telegraph's publisher, Nationwide News.

He asked for written submissions relating to an appeal by Jones against his $1,000 fine and nine-month good behaviour bond and Harbour Radio's $3,000 fine.

Nationwide News is not challenging its $4,000 fine.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print