« Created by: auzgurl on: Mar 16th, 2007 at 9:11pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Smart Card.. (Read 3795 times)
auzgurl
Ex Member

Smart Card..
Mar 16th, 2007 at 7:04am

Is the Smart Card the start of a cashless society..?

If not why do we need a smart card. Why are the Government pushing for a smart card.?
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2007 at 8:57am by N/A »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
sounds pretty smart to me
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 9:59am

To cut back on red tape I think.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Government-puts-smart-card-bills-on-hold/2007/03/15/1173722649770.html

The government is heading back to the drawing board after a senate committee found its proposed new smart card was likely to become an identity card.

The access card was intended to replace the Medicare card and other benefits cards, streamlining access to a wide range of government health and welfare services.

The government had explicitly ruled out its use as a national ID card amid widespread concerns that was what it would become.

But in its report released on Thursday night, the standing committee on finance and public administration said the card was likely to become in effect an identity card, despite measures aimed at limiting its use.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Re: Smart Card..
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 7:33pm

Totally agree with a smart card as I have nothing to hide. Smiley

Imagine how much this country can save by having a cashless society. Don't be afraid of new technology, embrace it. The benefits far outweigh any negatives under a democratic government.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 7:34pm

This particular proposal is not a cash replacement.

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 7:50pm

Not yet Wink

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 12:03am

I have no problem with it.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 8:41am

Just wanted to know its purpose and if it was the beginning of a cashless society.

A cashless society would mean we no longer have control over our money anymore................we cant bury it in the backyard for instance?

Some pple dont trust greedy hungry banks..not me.

How long before a cashless society would become a reality>?

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 9:29pm

Funny comment Auzgurl. Grin

If you put money in the bank it gains interest. If you just use the bank as an express for your money obviously your bank fees will eat away at your interest. How else do you think people that work their get paid?

Do you have a credit card or eftpos card? If so, a smart card would be no different. With a Smart Card ambulances would be able to identify straight away a diabetic or allergies etc. Do I really have to list all the positive points?

It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks... Wink

IP Logged

aloof boof

the roving ear

outback
Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 10:46pm

There goes working part time for cash or selling the odd thing for cash.Just another way of getting every damn cent out of you

constantly surrounded by mt beer cans

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Smartcard project costs 'blowing out'
Reply #9 - Dec 24th, 2007 at 12:03pm

http://news.smh.com.au/smartcard-project-costs-blowing-out/20071224-1is0.html

The company behind Melbourne's new smartcard public transport ticketing system says it needs more time and taxpayer money to deliver the project, the Herald Sun newspaper said.

US-based consortium Kamco, in charge of producing the $500-million Myki train and tram ticketing system, has told the Victorian government's Transport Ticketing Authority (TTA) the project faces further cost blowouts and delays, the newspaper said.

Kamco has called for a cash injection for the project and changes to its tender contract to allow it to receive accelerated payments to bring the system online.

News of the taxpayer bailout follows the leaking of documents last week from the Auditor-General's Office that uncovered probity concerns in the way the project tender was awarded.

Criticisms of the tender process contained in early draft documents were not included in Auditor-General Des Pearson's final report, tabled in parliament.

Legal battles looming over Tcard in NSW

http://news.smh.com.au/legal-battles-looming-over-tcard-in-nsw/20080130-1oyf.html

The NSW government will seek to recover the costs of Sydney's failed cashless public transport ticketing system, as the company behind the smart card flagged legal action of its own.

ERG Ltd said it would be taking legal action against the NSW government after its Tcard contract was cancelled last week, costing the company $250 million.

In announcing the cancellation last week, Mr Watkins said the government acted after ERG repeatedly failed to meet key project milestones.

The Tcard system has been plagued by continual delays, with the government putting the cost to taxpayers at $95 million.

However, ERG said it had only received approximately $13 million from its $350 million agreement with the state's Public Transport Ticketing Corporation (PTTC) to install and maintain the Tcard over 10 years.

Vic smartcard shown to cost $1 billion

http://news.smh.com.au/vic-smartcard-shown-to-cost-1-billion/20080204-1pw8.html

The introduction of a new public transport smartcard for Melbourne will cost more than $1 billion, secret documents show.

A report by the Office of the Auditor-General said the Myki smartcard system will cost twice as much as Victorian taxpayers were told, News Limited newspapers reported.

NSW govt launches Tcard damages claim

http://news.smh.com.au/nsw-govt-launches-tcard-damages-claim/20080221-1tng.html

The NSW government has launched a damages claim in the NSW Supreme Court against the company that was developing Sydney's integrated Tcard ticketing system.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2008 at 7:45pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print