Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
War Games to commence here in June 2007 (Read 8543 times)
mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

War Games to commence here in June 2007
Mar 8th, 2007 at 10:19am

This is only the beginning.  We will have to sit back and watch as depleted uranium and sonic testing destroys our beautiful coastline.

Quote:
[[Next May/June will see Australia host the largest military exercises we've ever had in peacetime.

Talisman Sabre 07.

Twelve thousand Australian soldiers and nearly l4,000 US troops and sailors will take place in bombarding our shores and fragile landscape, storming our beaches, gunning down 'terrorists' in the newly built urban guerilla warfare training centre, testing their latest laser guided missiles and 'smart' bombs in some of the most pristine wilderness I've ever seen on this planet - and in 30 years of making films, I've seen a lot of this planet.

Idyllic Shoalwater Bay near Rockhampton will cop it all - live aerial bombing, ship to shore naval firings, underwater depth charges exploded in areas where turtles and dugong breed, nuclear subs using high level sonar frequency which zaps the hearing of sea life and mammals, nuclear aircraft carriers inside the so-called Great Barrier Reef marine national park (!), land based artillery firings blasting the hell out of areas where the most amazing biodiversity in Australia is to be found. (Shoalwater Bay covers 740,000 hectacres and is almost unique in our climatic landscape because it is a cross over point for tropical, sub tropical and temperate zones giving rise to an amazing variety of many species of flora and wildlife, birds,sea creatures etc).

Anyone who has seen Al Gore's film, An Inconvenient Truth has to ask why are we allowing such madness to take place and wanton misuse of resources to further add to the huge level of CO2 put up into the atmosphere in exercises such as these at a time when we all should be combining forces in the War for Our Survival.

These live munitions actions at Shoalwater Bay will run simultaneously with US bombing runs by Stealth, B1 and B52 bombers (just one B52 bomber carries 30 tonnes of bombs -needs three semi trailers to load it up with its bombload...) from Guam to drop their live payload from 5 kilometres high on Delamare bombing range near Katherine NT and live fire exercises involving many Abrams tanks rumbling across the landscape at Bradshaw tank range (surrounded by Bradshaw national park south of Darwin, target practising on country against the wishes of the senior Aboriginal elders, custodians of that country...).

These military exercises and their coordination in both states will be beamed live via satellite from tiny cameras on the tanks, bombers, landing craft, army commanders's lapels etc to the coordinating War Room at Newcastle where the US and Australian generals will call the shots of what is fired next. Son of Star Wars has arrived in Australia!

We are now about to pollute our own most pristine areas, far away from the centres of population by letting the US military test their latest weapons here. There are big plans by British Aerospace and the other arms manufacturers to quietly turn the depressed Rockhampton area into a big arms manufacturing industrial estate. So not only will we export our soldiers who are the best there is to adventurist wars overseas, we are about to see an explosion in Australia manufacturing and exporting weapons of war.

With a view to oppose these exercises, a group of people from around Australia with peace activist credentials had a phone link up yesterday and spoke for an hour about our willingness to combine forces and oppose these exercises. We will link with activist residents of Shoalwater Bay (Yeppoon and Byfield) that we made contact with last year during Talisman Sabre 2005.

continued: next post

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: War Games to commence here in June 2007
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 10:20am

Quote:
We plan to put on a big concert at Yeppoon and have people come from all over Australia to take part in that concert and choose, if they wish, to be part of non violent actions to oppose the war and Australia's involvement in such wars.

Through my contact with musicians like Paul Kelly, Midnight Oil (friends from University days), John Butler, Deborah Conway, Robyn Archer, Kev Carmody and actors Judy Davis, Geoffrey Rush, Sam Neill, Bryan Brown, we intend to put on a big concert which will spill into the evening with relevant films and speakers to raise awareness of just what Australia has signed up for with this new secret treaty then Defence Minister Robert Hill and Foreign Minister Alexander Downer signed with Rumsfeld and Powell back in July 2004. It is that secret treaty which is allowing the Americans to come here and do what they want - without so much as an environmental impact study being done before or after the exercises.

We need people in communities right along the eastern seaboard to be actively involved in this campaign to build awareness amongst your local communities and to take on the role of being local coordinators as the campaign builds over the next six months, to help with the logistics of organising people to come by bus, peace train, cars, planes to be there in June for that concert and weekend leading into week of actions. Some people with work or other commitments will only be able to come for a few days, perhaps the weekend. No matter. We have to send a BIG message to the rest of our apathetic and many indifferent Australians and the government that this is not on any more.

Please look at this website and subscribe to it to keep generally informed of what is happening, how to link up people in your local community if you want to help make this peace convergence a BIG event.

http://www.peaceconvergence.com

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 10:45am

Yeah they could have chosen a crappy area, an area which has already been destroyed.
But they do need to train for the upcoming world war.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 5:45pm

I agree with Aus Nat. The only other option we really have is to send all our troops to Iraq for combat experience and I'm sure you don't want that.

Mantra, I think it is a great thing you are trying to organise. At the very least this will bring awareness of a wrong. As a matter of interest where do you think they should practice these war games with our allies? keeping in mind this is what national security is all about.

Smiley

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 6:06pm

I'm not organising this - it's something that has been simmering for a year or so now and I'm disgusted that this could take place in such a fragile area of coastline.  There must be plenty of areas inland where they could practice these games.

The point is - why are we setting up so many military bases in Australia?  What have they got planned? 

Shoalwater Bay has only been set aside so they can test their weapons, bombs and underwater weapons and because Menzies in the early 60's had some sort of arrangement with the US to use Shoalwater Bay as target practice.  This was knocked on the head and the residents of Shoalwater Bay have been fighting to save the place ever since.  Since Howard got his mandate in the Senate all sorts of nasty little and big deals with the Americans have been legislated and most of them aren't in our favour.

It's a well known fact that the US leaves waste, destruction and depleted uranium behind from wherever they've practiced and have left many areas completely devastated over past decades.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 6:26pm

I honestly think that army training grounds are the least of our worries. At least they aren't turning it into farmland or tourist strips. Military training grounds are the next best thing to national parks. Plus, we need to train in the environments likely to see action, which includes coastal swamps.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 6:31pm

I don't agree with the destruction of our own country but I do recognise the need for these games. When a site is selected I would say it has been selected for a reason. Some of those reasons would be that it has the landscape similar to an enemies so we can practice under the same conditions, another reason is, it may simulate most areas of the Australian coastline so the US can come to the rescue with experience. If a war broke out we would have to launch many coastal attacks on our own country because we would withdraw almost immediately to the borders of the Great Divide in NSW to Victoria. By the time the US got here to help the invaders would have over half of Australia and that includes Shoalwater Bay.

The only country that could possibly invade Australia would be China. No other power could be successful. (not counting our allies of course).

I'd prefer them to use Queenstown in Tasmania because it has already been destroyed by the loggers but, the conditions their may not be of benefit.

Obviously they need a coastline so the desert is out of the question. I think you will find that environmental damage will be minimal due to they simulate survival training on a regular basis at Shoalwater Bay which means you need to have trees, animal life etc.

Let's not criticise without offering a solution otherwords support will be minimal. A better understanding of strategic command may be the answer. We need one of their Generals or something to come on this forum and explain the reasons why Shoalwater Bay is utilised the way it is.
Smiley

IP Logged

aloof boof

the roving ear

outback
Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2007 at 5:07pm

For Christ's sake,they have been bombing the crap out of the NT for years and noone notices.From the coastline to the inland northern NT they have been playing war games since the seventies.But the crocodiles made the landing practice a bit dicey i suppose GrinAnyway i dont think the areas they bomb are accesible by car or foot so know one will ever notice

constantly surrounded by mt beer cans

IP Logged

Anne

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 10:18am

Hi to everyone following this thread Smiley

I have just joined this forum specifically to help raise awareness of Operation Talisman Saber 2007, and to air my personal perspective on this issue.
I live five hours south of Yeppoon in Rural Qld.

On Friday, i did an interview for the News-Mail and was told that it could be "squeezed into" either Saturday or Monday's edition.
I haven't had a chance to get a copy of Saturday's paper, so i do not know if the story has run yet. i am the local rep (for Bundaberg/Gin Gin) for the Peace Convergence.

Pasted below are my comments towards their story.

"My family and the people in my neighbourhood who are aware of these games
do not want them to proceed.
We want answers from our locally elected representatives on exactly what
types of weapons will be used and tested.
Who will pay for the damage caused and for the restoration to our coral
coast?
Will the burden for repair fall to Australian taxpayers or left for the
children?
Our currently elected representatives who allow these games to happen must
be held personally responsible for all the damage caused and for the
restoration of our fragile coastal ecosystems.
I have seed funding for a hire bus from Bundaberg to the peace convergence
to book a seat email me.
The Great Barrier Reef is also being destroyed via bleaching with climate
change."

If there are members here from this area who would like to book a seat on the bus, drop me a line, the seats are filling quickly!

Cheers
Anne
anne [at] globalclimatechangeaction.org

OTS07_2.JPG (24 KB | 77 )
OTS07_2.JPG

IP Logged

aloof boof

the roving ear

outback
Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 4:15pm

With all due respect anne,what a load of codswallop.The coastline wont be bombed as i am sure the weapons systems are a little more advanced than that.
Could you also explain to me how our troops are supposed to practice or are they supposed to march up and down all day.
War games are held with Allies in differing parts of each others countries and its our turn.Like it or lump it,it will happen

constantly surrounded by mt beer cans

IP Logged

Anne

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 5:03pm

Hello Roving Ear and others following this thread Smiley

you said:
"The coastline wont be bombed as i am sure the weapons systems are a little more advanced than that. "

so i would like to ask you:
1. On who's authority do you have that information?
2. If you have access to what type of weapons will be used and tested on our fragile coral coast, by both the US and Aus war machines, would you kindly inform myself, my neighbours, my children and all the other people who happen to stumble across this questions, what those weapons will be?
3. Also, please let us know what sort of damage we can expect from their use?
4. Perhaps you can also inform us, who will foot the bill for the clean up and restorations?

Considering that our elected representatives have so far not answered these questions... despite my asking them publically and directly... i doubt you will be able to supply me with the answers we seek.

The GBR is already under a huge amount of pressure from the effects of Climate Change. Our fisheries are already being deliteriously affected.

I wonder, Roving Ear, do you enjoy a nice bit of reef fish (when you can afford it)?
Perhaps a nice platter of Chilli Mud Crab occasionally....?
Where do you think these gastronomical delights come from?

Destroy paradise... destroy ourselves!

I've had enough.
This may be "going to happen" as you say... well perhaps you know a lot more than i do. I do know this - if it does... i will be proud to make my peace knowing that it happened over my resisting bodily remains.

Regards
Anne

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 5:41pm

I agree with Mantra - they should be using an area that has already recently been utilised for these purposes, or is void or scarce of living creatures already.

Marine living creatures (turtles, dugongs) are defenceless victims and we should be thoughtful of them. They are living animals, same as us. Only, there are a LOT less of them.
According to the laws of supply and demand, they are more valuable than humans !!!

Thanks Mantra.

Any idea where I email/write into ??

There are HUGE areas out west that are suitable.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #12 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 6:03pm

The US military has dozens of bases all over the world.  The following is an example of the devestation left in the aftermath.

Sprintcyclist - Anne left an email address on her first post.

Quote:
Many military bases in Latin America—like those in the United States and elsewhere—are leaving a devastating environmental legacy. In Vieques, studies have found high rates of cadmium, lead, mercury, uranium, and other contaminants in the soil, food chain, and human bodies of the island’s inhabitants. These toxins have lead to elevated rates of disease among Vieques residents, who have a 26.9 percent higher incidence of cancer than other Puerto Ricans. Despite Superfund designation, Vieques remains a very contaminated island. In Panama, the military left behind more than 100,000 rounds of unexploded ordnance on firing ranges in the canal area, despite a Canal Treaty provision for removing such dangers. Nearby construction of a new bridge and road will bring an influx of workers and occupants, who will be exposed to these hazards.

Yet U.S. bases abroad present special problems for environmental cleanup, because sovereignty is always at issue. Once the Pentagon is gone, the United States abandons jurisdiction, thereby shirking responsibility for the contamination its military has caused.

http://www.fpif.org/briefs/vol9/v9n03latammil_body.html

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 9:46am

Hi Anne and welcome to OzPolitic. Good luck with the trip, and let us know if you uncover anything interesting.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
War games 'will not hurt environment'
Reply #14 - May 16th, 2007 at 5:38pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/War-games-will-not-hurt-environment/2007/05/16/1178995225293.html

The Defence Department says a major military exercise across northern Australia next month will not impact on the environment.

The joint Australia-United States training exercise, dubbed Talisman Sabre 2007, will be held throughout June at defence sites in Townsville, Shoalwater Bay near Rockhampton and at Delamare and Bradshaw in the Northern Territory.

Commandant of the Australian Defence Force Warfare Centre Brigadier David McKaskill said the operation would involve tanks, aircraft and nuclear-powered aircraft carriers and submarines.

"It's about high-end war fighting right through to looking after humanitarian assistance."

Defence officials on Wednesday confirmed submarines would enter the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park during the exercise, but said the reef was in no danger of being damaged by military activity.

"The bottom line is we take the environment very seriously - that and safety are the two biggest issues," Brig McKaskill said.

"I am an army person and my office is the environment."

The Australian Defence Force has spent a sizeable sum securing the military training fields to be used during the operation after a Greenpeace anti-nuclear activist entered an exclusion zone during the 2005 Talisman Sabre exercise.

Peace and environmental activists are planning national protest action to oppose this year's exercise, with plans in place for a "peace train" to travel up the east coast in June.

The National Peace Convergence will also host a weekend of protest events at Shoalwater Bay from June 22.

US-Australia war games set to get begin

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/USAustralia-war-games-set-to-get-begin/2007/06/17/1182018924667.html

A joint Australia-US military exercise will be launched on board a US navy vessel in Sydney on Monday.

Protesters established a "peace embassy" near Rockhampton to draw attention to their opposition to the exercise.

On Saturday, hundreds of people marched through Brisbane to start a week-long rolling protest.

Just Peace convenor and protest organiser Annette Brownlie said during the coming week about 1,000 people were expected to converge at the embassy near Yeppoon.

"It's an indication of how much concern there is in the community about our continuing alliance with the US and the debacle of Iraq," Ms Brownlie said.

Protests would culminate with a concert and march at Yeppoon next weekend.
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2007 at 6:03pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print