Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Working hours killing families: research (Read 2601 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Working hours killing families: research
Mar 6th, 2007 at 10:41am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Working-hours-killing-families-research/2007/03/06/1172943386519.html

Australia's intense work focus is destroying families, research shows.

The research has discovered a strong link between long and unpredictable work hours and the breakdown of family and other relationships, Fairfax newspapers report.

Australia is the only high-income country in the world that combines very long average working hours with large amounts of work at unsocial times - weeknights and weekends - and high levels of casual employment.

The fallout from this manner of working is an unhealthy workforce, extremely stressed relationships, angry and inconsistent parents and children with reduced wellbeing, says the report, An Unexpected Tragedy, by Relationships Forum Australia.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Working hours killing families: research
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 5:54pm

This has become very obvious over recent years as both parents work long hours to provide the best they possibly can for their children.  Unfortunately this means - everything but the parents's time. 

This would also account for the ever increasing incidents of rage we are seeing everywhere, youth violence and depression and our obsession with materialism - the more we have the more we want.

On the other hand though - we might have 20% overworked on full time work,  30% overworked on casual work - but there is a huge "underemployment" section of Australia who can only get minimal hours.  This also causes immense stress to our youth who have to take whatever work they can on any day and at any time of the day and gives them little to dream about for their future.

We need change ASAP - otherwise half the working population will end up having nervous breakdowns.

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 6:32pm

I have 4 theories.

With the greed of the banks and insurance companies, life is more expensive thus requiring more hours at work.

With the computerisation and mechanisation of workplaces, the workers are struggling to keep up the work load as others are laid off who used to assist them.

Both partners now work even when they have kids, dumping the kids into child care centres.
The children grow up without ''knowing their parents'' which causes lack of discipline.
More fights when teenagers. sometimes causes divorces.

Mass amounts of foreign workers are employed, most probably cant speak or read much english thus causing delays in productivity. Accidents are also up because workers from 3rd world countries arent as saftey conscious as westerners.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2019 at 12:28am

Should have studied harder at school before having kids.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2019 at 9:32am

Jasin wrote on May 7th, 2019 at 12:28am:
Should have studied harder at school before having kids.

That's a fairly flip comment .... how much study did you do to become a taxi driver or fast food worker or a rousabout at a funny farm?

When I married in 1977 both of us kept working for as long as possible ....

without a dual income we wouldn't have been able to afford a mortgage ... as it was we still had to borrow from parents ....

2 children only stopped the dual income for 3 & 6 months respectively ....

Due to health issues my wife ceased work when she was 40 ... 22 years ago.

And I have worked shift work for nearly 46 yrs .. 34 yrs of which involved working away up to 38 hrs at a time.

During rough patches that was bought up to the effect that ....

"How would you know you're never here". " I raised the kids on my own."

But I've held a job in rail(varying with promotions) for 45 yrs.

Who will do that today?

The added problem that there is too much under employment, casual & part time jobs that don't pay the bills.

And that has been the push by the the current & preceding govts for decades now.

Creation of temporary, casual & part time is not creating meaningful employment.

Those Australians who are lucky enough to have full time jobs are definitely working longer hours for less pay.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print