Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
wild guavas fruiting in Brisbane (Read 3320 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
wild guavas fruiting in Brisbane
Mar 1st, 2007 at 10:33am

The wild guavas are fruiting in Brisbane. They look at alot like the apple guavas shown in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guava

There are a heap growing around the Fairfield railway station, on the shopping centre side. They look like they have been fruiting for a while as there is a lot of fruit on the ground. There are a lot of small green fruit still so they will probably have a long fruiting season. They have a strong smell that reminds of lemonade. They can make a whole room smell nice. They also taste great.

I will add an article to the gardening section eventually. Just thought I'd post something now seeing as they are fruiting at the moment. If you find any more growing on public land that aren't getting eaten please let us know. They seem to grow along fence lines a lot, which may have soemthing to do with possums or birds spreading the seeds. They do well in very poor soil and there is some growing at the top of the railway cutting where the water would drain away very quickly.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: wild guavas fruiting in Brisbane
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2019 at 12:27am

Wot - no Bunyas?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - May 7th, 2019 at 12:32am

Jasin wrote on May 7th, 2019 at 12:27am:
Wot - no Bunyas?

Bunyips got 'em ....

Lots of fruits in Brisbane.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2019 at 12:34am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 7th, 2019 at 12:32am:
Wot - no Bunyas?

Bunyips got 'em ....

That's why FD lives up there. He's a bit Batty sometimes.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - May 7th, 2019 at 12:57am

Jasin wrote on May 7th, 2019 at 12:34am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 7th, 2019 at 12:32am:
Wot - no Bunyas?

Bunyips got 'em ....

That's why FD lives up there. He's a bit Batty sometimes.

Very Rosie.. very Rosie.... who was that complaining about fruit bats sh1tting on his van?  The peewees that I keep in water in a bird bath during hot weather sh1t on my car while fighting the mirrors and the windscreen ... ungrateful little swines...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

BigP
Gold Member

Australian Politics

West Auckland
Reply #5 - May 7th, 2019 at 7:01am

freediver wrote on Mar 1st, 2007 at 10:33am:
The wild guavas are fruiting in Brisbane. They look at alot like the apple guavas shown in this article:

There are a heap growing around the Fairfield railway station, on the shopping centre side. They look like they have been fruiting for a while as there is a lot of fruit on the ground. There are a lot of small green fruit still so they will probably have a long fruiting season. They have a strong smell that reminds of lemonade. They can make a whole room smell nice. They also taste great.

I will add an article to the gardening section eventually. Just thought I'd post something now seeing as they are fruiting at the moment. If you find any more growing on public land that aren't getting eaten please let us know. They seem to grow along fence lines a lot, which may have soemthing to do with possums or birds spreading the seeds. They do well in very poor soil and there is some growing at the top of the railway cutting where the water would drain away very quickly.

So we can expect some guava jelly coming our way FD,, One of the boys at work made some , I have been having it on toast for my morning smoko..very nice it is

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2019 at 9:03am

freediver wrote on Mar 1st, 2007 at 10:33am:

They are called "Pluggers" locally here on the Fraser Coast .....

for the obvious effect they can have if you over indulge.

I first saw/noticed guavas when my father was transferred to Innisfail in 1968 .....

The fruit has a nice smell and taste but getting a good one was rare ... because most had some sort of fruit stinging insect grubs in them.

I have seen commercially grown in a supermarket before .... but like a lot of exotic fruits it was too expensive ...

and no doubt it was imported ..

I haven't heard of commercial guava farms in QLD or anywhere in Australia.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - May 7th, 2019 at 6:58pm

I have grown a few from seed now. Very easy to grow. You are right about the grubs. I trim them heavily and use them as a support for dragonfruit. But I still get the occasional nice fruit off them. The grubs seems to be less of a problem if you limit the size of the tree.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print