makes the system less democratic    
  8 (40.0%)
has no effect on democracy    
  6 (30.0%)

Total votes: 20
« Created by: muso on: Jan 5th, 2013 at 3:45pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 26
Send Topic Print
Campbell Newman to scrap compulsory voting in QLD (Read 90061 times)
gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Campbell Newman to scrap compulsory voting in QLD
Reply #15 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:45pm

freediver wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 11:12am:
QLD already has a hybrid form of compulsory/optional voting, which causes all sorts of problems:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/optional-preferential-voting.html

Now Campbell Newman wants to make it completely optional. My objections are:

1) Voting is an irrational act, given the personal effort required and the almost certainty that your effort will make no difference to your life (or anyone else's).  If you make it optional, only irrational people vote. Rational people will find more 'productive' uses for their Saturday morning.

2) Voting in a modern democracy should be considered a responsibility, not a right.

3) Making voting optional changes the nature of the political debate. It means politicians become motivational speakers rather than policy debaters. This is because it is more important to preach to the converted than target undecided voters, because you have to get your supporters to turn up and vote. Fear is the biggest motivator, and the politics of fear (of the other party) become more important than rational criticism. Our elections would turn into circuses, like US elections.

PM hits back at Qld compulsory voting plan

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/qld-could-scrap-compulsory-voting/story-fn3dxiwe-1226546911297

THE Prime Minister has used Twitter to attack the Newman government's bid to ask Queenslanders whether compulsory voting should be scrapped for state elections.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has urged her Twitter followers to fight the Newman government's plan.

"Don't let the Liberals make our democracy the plaything of cashed-up interest groups," she posted.

Compulsory voting could be scrapped in Queensland state elections under a Newman government plan to overhaul electoral laws.

Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie has released a discussion paper on possible reforms to be put out for public consultation.

The paper lists the pros and cons of abolishing compulsory voting and highlights other possible reforms, including changes to political donations, how-to-vote cards and political advertising.

It quotes the report of a Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters on the 1996 federal election that recommended compulsory voting be abolished so Australia could be considered "a mature democracy".

The report argued that voting could only be considered a 'right' if people could exercise a 'right' not to vote.

Voting in Queensland state elections has been compulsory since 1915.

Mr Bleijie says the discussion paper aims to make the government more accountable.

"Fair and effective electoral laws are central to the promotion of participation in our democracy," he said in a statement on Thursday.

"The options in the discussion paper are not intended to be exhaustive and the government is after a variety of opinions and ideas."

The submission period is open until March 1.

sorry FD. that highlighted comment is just plain stupid. it is counter-intuitive and more like the kind of think SOB would say. voting is NOT irrational and I fail to see how a sober intelligent person could come to that conclusion.

IP Logged

gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:47pm

Peter Freedman wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 12:23pm:
Newman is well aware that Labor voters are hard workers with families and often work on polling days, making voting a real effort.

Lib voters spend their days beside the swimming pool drinking dry martinis and it is no problem to ask the chauffeur to get the Rolls out of the garage and run them down to the polling booth.

well that is ever more twaddle than FD's first point. what utter crap.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #17 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:49pm

Newman is well aware that Labor voters are hard workers with families and often work on polling days, making voting a real effort.

Lib voters spend their days beside the swimming pool drinking dry martinis and it is no problem to ask the chauffeur to get the Rolls out of the garage and run them down to the polling booth.

The conservatives originally made voting manditory because they believed that workers would vote and the more affluent were much to lazy to bother when they could in general just buy the political results they wanted.

IP Logged

gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:49pm

I support compulsory voting as the responsibility of anyone living in a democracy. dont want to vote? dont get the benefits (welfare, services etc)

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #19 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:50pm

gold_medal wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:45pm:
QLD already has a hybrid form of compulsory/optional voting, which causes all sorts of problems:

1) Voting is an irrational act, given the personal effort required and the almost certainty that your effort will make no difference to your life (or anyone else's).  If you make it optional, only irrational people vote. Rational people will find more 'productive' uses for their Saturday morning.

2) Voting in a modern democracy should be considered a responsibility, not a right.

3) Making voting optional changes the nature of the political debate. It means politicians become motivational speakers rather than policy debaters. This is because it is more important to preach to the converted than target undecided voters, because you have to get your supporters to turn up and vote. Fear is the biggest motivator, and the politics of fear (of the other party) become more important than rational criticism. Our elections would turn into circuses, like US elections.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/qld-could-scrap-compulsory-voting/story-fn3dxiwe-1226546911297

THE Prime Minister has used Twitter to attack the Newman government's bid to ask Queenslanders whether compulsory voting should be scrapped for state elections.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has urged her Twitter followers to fight the Newman government's plan.

"Don't let the Liberals make our democracy the plaything of cashed-up interest groups," she posted.

Compulsory voting could be scrapped in Queensland state elections under a Newman government plan to overhaul electoral laws.

Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie has released a discussion paper on possible reforms to be put out for public consultation.

The paper lists the pros and cons of abolishing compulsory voting and highlights other possible reforms, including changes to political donations, how-to-vote cards and political advertising.

It quotes the report of a Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters on the 1996 federal election that recommended compulsory voting be abolished so Australia could be considered "a mature democracy".

The report argued that voting could only be considered a 'right' if people could exercise a 'right' not to vote.

Mr Bleijie says the discussion paper aims to make the government more accountable.

"Fair and effective electoral laws are central to the promotion of participation in our democracy," he said in a statement on Thursday.

"The options in the discussion paper are not intended to be exhaustive and the government is after a variety of opinions and ideas."

sorry FD. that highlighted comment is just plain stupid. it is counter-intuitive and more like the kind of think SOB would say. voting is NOT irrational and I fail to see how a sober intelligent person could come to that conclusion.

Awww disagreed with him did you? Every time you do that you show us how young and uneducated you are.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 4:23pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:50pm:

Awww disagreed with him did you? Every time you do that you show us how young and uneducated you are.

SOB

I think FD would be disturbed that you agree with him. Most people would be.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #21 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 4:33pm

gold_medal wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 4:23pm:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:50pm:

SOB

I think FD would be disturbed that you agree with him. Most people would be.

Link to where i agreed with him liar.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 4:55pm

Quote:

Perhaps you should have kept reading to the end of the sentence.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 6:18pm

freediver wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 4:55pm:
Quote:

Perhaps you should have kept reading to the end of the sentence.

I did so in the first place. your 'irrational' comment is still just as silly. In \fact, just defending it makes you look sillier. what is 'irrational' about voting? what is irrational (if anything) is to not vote and have a say in the running of the country.

I support compuslroy voting just as you do, but that was an awesomely silly reason.

IP Logged

Peter Freedman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Wellington
Reply #24 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 6:51pm

gold_medal wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:47pm:

well that is ever more twaddle than FD's first point. what utter crap.

It's called satire. I wouldn't expect you to understand it.

God grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and, above all, the wisdom to tell the difference.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #25 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 6:59pm

gold_medal wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:49pm:
I support compulsory voting as the responsibility of anyone living in a democracy. dont want to vote? dont get the benefits (welfare, services etc)

Hopefully we can still pay the taxes that fund those benefits; life would be pretty sh1t if we didn't get taxed for services we didn't recieve.  Grin

Calm down, nearly every single first world democracy functions more than fine treating their voters like adults, no need to get one's panties all bunched up.

Besides you don't live in QLD so it won't affect you in any way, shape or form.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 7:09pm

Quote:
I did so in the first place. your 'irrational' comment is still just as silly. In \fact, just defending it makes you look sillier. what is 'irrational' about voting?

Read to the end of the sentence, and all will be revealed.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 7:22pm

gold_medal wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:49pm:

Compulsory voting

Democracy

lol!!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #28 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 8:41pm

What is it with Qld and voting remember they had Joe who kept changing the boundaries till it looked like people voted for him.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #29 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 8:54pm

I am about with FD on this one.

Our system may not be perfect but it is better than any other option I have seen.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 26
Send Topic Print