Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ironman Abbott the best to govern (Read 2410 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Ironman Abbott the best to govern
Sep 5th, 2010 at 11:01pm

Quote:
AUSTRALIA is more likely to have stable government from an alliance of 76 broadly like-minded MPs than from a rainbow coalition of fractured Laborites, Greens and country conservatives.
Australia is far more likely to get a fresh start from a new government than from a Labor Party that's humble only because it has no choice. Why would the country independents throw a lifeline to a seriously bad government that's just got worse since it executed a democratically elected prime minister?

For all her undoubted political skills, Julia Gillard's actual decisions - to subcontract climate change policy to an unelected assembly, to resurrect a previously promised and dumped railway, and to export the boat people problem to an unwilling East Timor (as well as the disastrous school halls program) - suggest that she would be a worse prime minister than Kevin Rudd.

Nine weeks ago, on the prime minister's own assessment, the government had lost its way. Two weeks ago, it lost its majority and its legitimacy but it still has not lost office and might actually cling to power through ruthless exploitation of incumbency.

Independent and minor party MPs have every right to make their own assessment of the respective merits of the caretaker government and opposition.

Still, if they decide to back Labor - or decide not to decide (which amounts to the same thing) - they will be endorsing factional warlordism, the political execution of an elected prime minister, and the kind of incompetence that produced the roof batts tragedy, the school hall rip-offs and a $43 billion commitment to turning back the clock on telecommunications without even a business plan to justify it.

So far, the caretaker prime minister has won the support of one Green MP and one former Green who is now an independent. The Greens have already changed Labor's climate policy from a 150 person citizens' assembly with no predetermined outcome to a parliamentary committee dedicated to setting a carbon price.
If Labor's mining tax is to pass the Senate, it will have to satisfy the Greens who want it to be much heavier. A mining tax and a carbon tax will be a double whammy hit on the mining industry. A carbon tax will impose big new costs on farmers who are already struggling with low prices and high production costs.

Then there's the Greens' commitment to reducing irrigation and turning at least 30 per cent of Australia's coastal waters into marine parks.

A Labor/Green alliance spells doom for regional Australia's economic base. The slightest move towards Green defence and foreign policies would put the American alliance at risk.

By cutting funding for independent schools, abolishing the private health insurance rebate, and ending offshore processing of illegal boat people it would damage the social fabric too. The prime minister's claim that Labor's policies won't be hostage to the Greens is inconsistent with her promise to give the Greens more access to ministers and public servants than she has afforded to Labor MPs.

Fourteen million Australians have given the Coalition the most seats and the most votes but the election now turns on the decision of just three country independent MPs.

They can opt for the Labor Party, in defiance of the expressed political preference and the economic interests of their own electorates. Or they can opt for the Coalition and form the most country-oriented national government since World War Two. Six members of the Coalition shadow cabinet live in regional areas. No Labor cabinet ministers do. Not one.
If the Gillard government limps on, the waste will continue, the debt will mount, the new taxes will accumulate and the boats will just keep coming. There have been seven boats in the fortnight since the election. International investors will continue to worry about sovereign risk.

The soap opera of leak and counter leak between the supporters of Gillard and Rudd will resume. Buying off potential critics and surrendering to the unions will be the only policy agenda. A government addicted to spin and spending will continue to be all announcement and no delivery because there can be no new politics from an old government.

The alternative under the Coalition is no new taxes, an end to wasteful spending programmes, faster repayment of debt, and strong action to protect our borders. It's genuine parliamentary reform with a parliamentary budget office.

A Coalition government means more spending on economically responsible regional programmes, a standing Green Army to help with landcare projects, a climate change policy that boosts agricultural productivity, a Murray Darling plan which will guarantee food security as well as better environmental flows, locally-run hospitals and schools, and a new compact with indigenous Australia to deliver jobs as well as constitutional recognition.

A Labor Party that was unstable and incompetent when it had a parliamentary majority will go from bad to worse if it has to function as a minority government.
The Coalition is best placed to provide effective government for the next three years and to protect voters from a premature return to the polls.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/why-im-the-one-to-govern/story-e6f...

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Re: Ironman Abbott the best to govern
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 11:03pm

I don't think he is going to win =(

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 11:10pm

aikmann4 wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 11:03pm:
I don't think he is going to win =(

I remain totally convinced that Abbott wil win. Mad as he is, Katter has major disagreements with virtually the entire labor platform. Windsor, for all his bluff and bad attitude knows that supporting labor wil end his political career. and if he supports labor that govt might only last a few months before a new election.

No, while the 3 stooges dont like the coalition they truly hate labor. And remember, the reason they became independants was not because they had center-based political leanings. they became independants because they could not play well with others. And now we are seeing why. They are unreasonable and virtually impossible to deal with.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Please delete this smacking

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 6:14am

What are the biggest impediments to Abbott winning?

The NBN

Health

Abbott's ridiculous refusal to live by the Charter for Budget Honesty (which his party created) without which deception, the coalition would not have got this close to government

The shenanigans of Heffernan et al

The fact that the senate will be controlled by Labor & the Greens

The realistic analysis that Labor have NOT done badly as a government in the larger scheme of things (except insulation and BER)

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 6:27am

Please delete wrote on Sep 6th, 2010 at 6:14am:

The NBN

Health

Abbott's ridiculous refusal to live by the Charter for Budget Honesty (which his party created) without which deception, the coalition would not have got this close to government

The realistic analysis that Labor have NOT done badly as a government in the larger scheme of things (except insulation and BER)

and green loans
and the stimulus vote bribes packages
and the backstabing of K07
and the sly way the PM speaks

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 6:33am

Quote:

Yep. What would be the point of the independents demanding a treasury audit and then saying,"That's OK, we just want to make sure that you're a liar before we vote for you"?
They have to look after their own credibility.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 8:08am

aussie Quote:
Ernie wrote on Today at 6:14am:

The NBN

Health

and green loans
and the stimulus vote bribes packages
and the backstabing of K07

The ETS, nbn costing, copenhagan, stop whales being hunted, grocerywatch, fuelwatch .......
......... anything they succeed at ??

IP Logged

codswal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 8:14am

tell you what I havent one bit of faith in the three amigos, none whatsoever..and these 3 will be holding the reigns of govt and the Green holding the power in the senate.. how many of us voted for either of them????.. so much for democracy, I think we just killed it.

to watch our govt.. and guess what Labor is still the govt even if it is only in caretaker mode... fawning over these guys that cant even agree amongst themselves.. makes me shake my head in wonder..I am in awe of the fact they dont agree with each other.. yet we expect them to agree with the chosen govt...... if it wasnt so tragic it would be laughable.

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 8:20am

Quote:

I cant believe retards like this are entitled to vote.

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 8:23am

codswal wrote on Sep 6th, 2010 at 8:14am:
tell you what I havent one bit of faith in the three amigos, none whatsoever..and these 3 will be holding the reigns of govt and the Green holding the power in the senate.. how many of us voted for either of them????.. so much for democracy, I think we just killed it.

to watch our govt.. and guess what Labor is still the govt even if it is only in caretaker mode... fawning over these guys that cant even agree amongst themselves.. makes me shake my head in wonder..I am in awe of the fact they dont agree with each other.. yet we expect them to agree with the chosen govt...... if it wasnt so tragic it would be laughable.

The current governent might be fawning over them - but they aren't threatening them, which unfortunately the Coalition is being an indication of what they will get under an Abbott government.

They are being pandered to by Gillard, but isn't that the sensible way rather than bully, harass and intimidate them? People want a sensible leader.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 8:26am

cods<<how many of us voted for either of them????..>>

Anyone that didn't vote for the two major parties or invalid, I guess.

This is a fantastic result, at last we have the closest thing to a democracy that we've had for a long long time. The old parties are on the way out at last.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 8:34am

mantra

Quote:
.......The current governent might be fawning over them - but they aren't threatening them, which unfortunately the Coalition is being an indication of what they will get under an Abbott government.

They are being pandered to by Gillard, but isn't that the sensible way rather than bully, harass and intimidate them? People want a sensible leader..........

julia is rolling over ASAP, as her and dudd have before.
Her rolling over is a terrible indication of the sort of pm she might be.

abbott's moves have been legal and correct.

skippy - due to the biased nature of the modding here, I cannnot reply to your taunts against us rightys.
I have been warned about using the term "retard" here, as a few posters have children who are "challenged".
But you being a lefty can say whatever you want.

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Please delete this smacking

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 8:37am

"skippy - due to the biased nature of the modding here, I cannnot reply to your taunts against us rightys."

Then go somewhere else. Easy.

I recently had an argument with a mod - it was easier to resolve than any dispute I've EVER had with another poster.

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 8:45am

Sprint when you stop feeling sorry for yourself and stop the constant whining and howling maybe you can move on.
As for using retard as a word, as I said anyone who would say such stupid things as lonersweekend is a true retard, he'd already know it.
now when you stop all your bitching you might realise that everyone here is moderated sprint, mozz wont let me call mellie a liar, even though I think she lies in every post she makes, but I'm allowed to say that she doesn't tell the truth, or that she is not honest in her writing, so stop all your bitching and pretending you're hard done by.

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 8:59am

Surely, Abbott's 'open letter' for the Independents, as quoted in the OP, provides ample evidence of why Abbott lacks the necessary qualities to be PM!?

As pointed out on Insiders yesterday, Abbott hasn't figured out who his main audience is. He has continued campaigning, to the lowest common denominator layperson in the electorate, with petty fearmongering and irrelevant emotive arguments; rather than appeal to the intelligent and savvy politicians that the 3 Independents are!

Apparently, he hasn't been able to co-erce them directly, so he's trying to incite electoral pressure...

Abbott is an habitually-impatient agitator and antagonist - he doesn't get the nuances of pragmatic negotiation and win/win consensus...

This is juvenile stuff, which we expect of egocentric school kids - not the mature statesmanship that we demand of our national leaders...

It is also a sign of what the Independents could expect from Abbott & Co - regardless of whether or not they choose to facilitate the formation of a Coalition Govt...

Ironically, the broader electorate gets this - that is why Abbott has always had such low approval ratings, high disapproval ratings and has never come within cooee of Gillard (nor Rudd) as preferred PM!

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print