Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Fix the roads yourself? (Read 811 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Fix the roads yourself?
Nov 3rd, 2022 at 7:00am

In New Zealand farmers have to fix their own roads – public roads –
using their own excavators as no one else will do it.
Are we doing the same in Australia?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Fix the roads yourself?
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2022 at 9:23am

Up this way there was a recent news thing about a local who paints the pot holes on the road so people have a chance of avoiding them.... next day the council gang was out patty caking some pot holes... they didn't include in that news thing the local hero who goes down and cuts back the long grass that obscures a dangerous corner off his own bat and on his own fuel and rideon etc... that's me.

We're a Wild Bunch out this way it seems... take the lore into our own hands all the times (bit like Abos) .... since we know the truth and what's best.  At the local progress association I tell them it's time to secede...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2022 at 12:16pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 3rd, 2022 at 9:23am:
Up this way there was a recent news thing about a local who paints the pot holes on the road so people have a chance of avoiding them.... next day the council gang was out patty caking some pot holes... they didn't include in that news thing the local hero who goes down and cuts back the long grass that obscures a dangerous corner off his own bat and on his own fuel and rideon etc... that's me.

We're a Wild Bunch out this way it seems... take the lore into our own hands all the times (bit like Abos) .... since we know the truth and what's best.  At the local progress association I tell them it's time to secede...

Hi Grappler,
get in there and fix the roads.
I wonder if you really need a council permit?    Undecided

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2022 at 7:39am

I love the blase style of humour the Kiwis have in approaching things like this.  Smiley
You wouldn't see it here in Australia.

I found the NZ approach works here in a different way.
Once I decided to fix a road myself.
I knew it wasn't the right way to go about it, but I made use of some left-over cement  Grin in the wee hours of the night.

Sure enough, a few days later, the Council had got the Road Crew to 'fix the road properly'. Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2022 at 1:24pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 4th, 2022 at 7:39am:
I love the blase style of humour the Kiwis have in approaching things like this.  Smiley

I knew it wasn't the right way to go about it, but I made use of some left-over cement  Grin in the wee hours of the night.

Sure enough, a few days later, the Council had got the Road Crew to 'fix the road properly'. Wink

Really?
I have been tempted to do some repairs quite a few times.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2022 at 4:02pm

My Council has discovered a new quick way to fix pot-holes ... just dump some loose gravel in them and bob's yur uncle

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2022 at 5:49pm

Bobby. wrote on Nov 3rd, 2022 at 12:16pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 3rd, 2022 at 9:23am:

Hi Grappler,
get in there and fix the roads.
I wonder if you really need a council permit?    Undecided

Patched a couple - didn't last, but for a while it was OK... if we fixed the roads ourselves somebody could sue if they had a prang or something... busted a tyre in a hole...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

AusGeoff
Gold Member

Sage of Gippsland

Victoria
Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2022 at 5:54pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 4th, 2022 at 5:49pm:
...if we fixed the roads ourselves somebody could sue if they had a prang or something... busted a tyre in a hole...

Good point.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2022 at 6:09pm

AusGeoff wrote on Nov 4th, 2022 at 5:54pm:
...if we fixed the roads ourselves somebody could sue if they had a prang or something... busted a tyre in a hole...

Good point.

.... just another way of ensuring that the common person has no real power in society.... think on it.... when you're slapped...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 6:28am

AusGeoff wrote on Nov 4th, 2022 at 5:54pm:

Good point.

yes - we have a litigious society.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 9:27am

Jasin wrote on Nov 4th, 2022 at 7:39am:

Good on you for being proactive.
You did something positive and got a good outcome

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #11 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 3:50pm

The roads leading to the carpark near my place of work are so bad that I have wondered how the council does not fix up the massive potholes much sooner. I was on holiday for a month, a while ago. Having restarted work again, I found the little potholes. that were there before my holiday, have widened with a few new ones. Perhaps the rain washed away whatever was holding the road together.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 4:08pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Nov 5th, 2022 at 3:50pm:
The roads leading to the carpark near my place of work are so bad that I have wondered how the council does not fix up the massive potholes much sooner. I was on holiday for a month, a while ago. Having restarted work again, I found the little potholes. that were there before my holiday, have widened with a few new ones. Perhaps the rain washed away whatever was holding the road together.

Go to Bunnings and get some gravel to fix those potholes up.   Smiley

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 5:22pm

Bobby. wrote on Nov 5th, 2022 at 4:08pm:

or a bag of quick set cement

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 6:56pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Nov 5th, 2022 at 5:22pm:

I put some excess cracker dust I had into a couple - cars eventually just sweep it out anyway... you need to firm it up... might mix some cracker with a bit of quick set....

Trouble always is that if the pot hole is wet at all or takes in water when it rains, water will not compress and when a car runs over it, it forces the water through the seal again, and the whole pothole process starts off again.....and again.

Parts of the road here just need tearing up and re-doing.... traffic is getting heavier and heavier and the infrastructure is not up to it... lots of construction going on with daily cement trucks and heavy load trucks coming and going.. and a lot of the road is barely above swamp level so when it rains it all gets wet underneath and away she goes.

Got a plan I call The Two Bridges that would create a faster shorter and more modern route from town to here.... and unfortunately open it up, since I pass flat spaces by the lake and always say the developers must be absolutely drooling over those once the sewer comes in as well .... throw up one of those cheek by jowl 'retirement' places gated off from the scum of the universe fifty homes to the acre ... wish I had one of those acreages - worth a mint one day soon.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2022 at 7:07pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

― John Adams

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #15 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 7:01pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 5th, 2022 at 6:56pm:

I put some excess cracker dust I had into a couple - cars eventually just sweep it out anyway... you need to firm it up... might mix some cracker with a bit of quick set....

Be careful that the council doesn't see you.    Grin

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 7:07pm

If you do something, that is of benefit.

On a totally different but related topic, we have lots of kids playing up and down our street.
I really like it, so wave to them , etc, etc.

Kids are kids, they leave a bit of rubbish around.
Every now and then, I take the wheelie bin up and down the street with a rubbish picker up thingie and pick up all the rubbish.
When I have finished, my neighbourhood looks a lot nicer and I far prefer that.
It's a small thing, takes me 15 mins.
The world is better after that small action.

Putting quickset cement or whatever in local potholes is a lot more work.
Someone around here did that in a 'backroad' to the local servo. It made a big difference.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 7:10pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Nov 5th, 2022 at 7:07pm:

If you do something, that is of benefit.

On a totally different but related topic, we have lots of kids playing up and down our street.
I really like it, so wave to them , etc, etc.

Kids are kids, they leave a bit of rubbish around.
Every now and then, I take the wheelie bin up and down the street with a rubbish picker up thingie and pick up all the rubbish.
When I have finished, my neighbourhood looks a lot nicer and I far prefer that.
It's a small thing, takes me 15 mins.
The world is better after that small action.

Putting quickset cement or whatever in local potholes is a lot more work.
Someone around here did that in a 'backroad' to the local servo. It made a big difference.

We had one regular as clockwork - bought dinner at KFC and finished it in the car at the same pot virtually every day... threw the boxes etc out the window. Same spot every time we went down the road.

That's an adult who grew up to be a pig... must've been a tradie since it stopped a while ago.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 7:12pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 5th, 2022 at 7:10pm:
............ We had one regular as clockwork - bought dinner at KFC and finished it in the car at the same pot virtually every day... threw the boxes etc out the window. Same spot every time we went down the road.

That's an adult who grew up to be a pig... must've been a tradie since it stopped a while ago.

I SO hate that.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #19 - Nov 6th, 2022 at 3:09am

I spat my chewie-gum out the window today while driving.
Doing a good deed for the day to fill that pot-hole.
I hope it sticks.  Cheesy

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Nov 12th, 2022 at 11:08am

I've seen it happen after storm damage. To be fair, the council did not have access at that stage, but it still took a long time to get in there and fix it up properly when they did get access.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #21 - Nov 12th, 2022 at 11:15pm

freediver wrote on Nov 12th, 2022 at 11:08am:
I've seen it happen after storm damage. To be fair, the council did not have access at that stage, but it still took a long time to get in there and fix it up properly when they did get access.

So - have you ever fixed the roads yourself?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Nov 13th, 2022 at 12:11pm

I was there are the time with a machete, and dragging logs off the road. Not exactly filling potholes, but there was enough of a path to get cars through, once the creek could be crossed. There were a few chainsaws, and one of the locals had a backhoe, without which we would not have made a dent.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #23 - Nov 15th, 2022 at 5:32pm

freediver wrote on Nov 13th, 2022 at 12:11pm:
I was there are the time with a machete, and dragging logs off the road. Not exactly filling potholes, but there was enough of a path to get cars through, once the creek could be crossed. There were a few chainsaws, and one of the locals had a backhoe, without which we would not have made a dent.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #24 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 7:59am

Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 4th, 2022 at 4:02pm:

My Council has discovered a new quick way to fix pot-holes ... just dump some loose gravel in them and bob's yur uncle

We've certainly had more than our share of chronic whingers up this way

FIRSTLY, they haven't worked out that this rapid deterioration of roads is caused by record rainfalls from a persistant La Nina cycle - and that it's futile to pour YOUR money in to repairs until this cycle has passed, forecast early next year (or as close as a forecast can get).

SECONDLY, it never seems to occur that the upkeep and repair of roads fall into the jurisdiction of EITHER their Local Government Authority - OR their State Government.

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print