Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nobel prize for literature (Read 662 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Nobel prize for literature
Oct 6th, 2022 at 11:05am

The Nobel Prize for Literature will be announced tomorrow. It would be so nice if they gave it to Salman Rushdie.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Nobel prize for literature
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2022 at 10:40am

French author Annie Ernaux, known for her ­deceptively simple novels drawing on personal experience of class and gender, has won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Ernaux, 82, was honoured “for the courage and clinical acuity with which she uncovers the roots, estrangements and collective ­restraints of personal memory”, the jury said in making the ­announcement on Thursday night.

Ernaux said the prize was a “great honour” and “responsibility”.

Ernaux is an unusual memoirist: she distrusts her memory. She writes in the first person, and then abruptly switches and speaks about herself from a distance, calling past selves “the girl of ’58” or “the girl of S.” At times, it seems as though she were looking at herself in an old photograph or a scene in a movie. She tells us when she is getting lost in the story, and where her memory goes blank. Ernaux does not so much reveal the past—she does not pretend to have any authoritative access to it—as unpack it. “What is the point of writing,” she says, “if not to unearth things?”
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/04/20/a-memoirist-who-mistrusts-her-own-...

I have never come across her name. But then again, I only recognise four of the last dozen winners.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 8:18pm

Australian writers.

I find Winton and Carey unreadable. Half a page, and the effort is just too obvious.

Les Murray and Clive James are my  peaks.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 8:22pm

Frank wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 8:18pm:
Australian writers.

I find Winton and Carey unreadable. Half a page, and the effort is just too obvious.

Les Murray and Clive James are my  peaks.

I have enjoyed some Winton but found some of his stuff to be a very difficult read. I don't go out of my way to find out, in fact I may never read another of his books as I don't like to have to fight my way through the story.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print