Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
DLS again! So soon? (Read 1964 times)
Sophia
Gold Member

DLS again! So soon?
Sep 29th, 2022 at 11:27pm

It feels like the middle of winter here and we just ended DLS, yet now it’s about to begin again this Sunday.
It puts us out of sync with Qld NT and WA.
How lucky they are to have constant time and no faded curtains!

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: DLS again! So soon?
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 12:14am

I hate daylight saving...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 4:49pm

It has been a cold start to spring this year. I had my doona off the bed and the ceiling fan operating. After a few nights of shivering, I shut off the fan. The window was open instead of using the fan. Cool mornings where I had trouble sleeping, including this morning. Even with the sun coming up earlier at this time of year, I have to sleep in with a bit of warmth before I get out of bed. Else I am too tired to do much during the day.

Daylight saving was an interesting concept to have in the late 1980s. But after a couple years of enduring 8pm sunsets/twilights in December to January, it was irritating for children and teenagers to get to sleep for the hour before bedtime. I remember my bedtime of 9pm was basically set by the time I was 9 years old. But, even with the sun down 90 minutes before that in November, you would need the cool change to start somewhere before 9pm. But that was just me. I got my required 8 hours sleep, even if I fell asleep by 11pm.

I felt sorry for those younger than me, trying to get to sleep by 8pm or earlier. "Why do we have to go to bed when the sun is still out?". Or there was the issue of living outside of SEQld's temperate climate and having to deal with days that are 30 to 35 degrees each day (unless it rained). That was a common issue from October until March.

I do not have an issue anymore with daylight saving time. But, I would rather we not have DLS in Qld. And SEQld can just adapt to issues regarding varying time zones with NSW in their own way.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 7:35pm

Great ... I'm moving south soon and I can't wait to get back into daylight savings mode.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2022 at 4:02am

Sophia wrote on Sep 29th, 2022 at 11:27pm:
It feels like the middle of winter here and we just ended DLS, yet now it’s about to begin again this Sunday.

Yep, and here in WA we don't have to stay up until 2am to change all of the clocks at the start of Daylight Saving (and 3am to change them all back when it finishes).

That was sarcasm, by the way.

But, I did hear many years ago (probably during one of WA's DLS trials) that some people actually used that as a reason why they didn't want it.  Grin Cheesy

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 4:00pm

I cannot remember when we had our last daylight saving in Qld. Probably 1991 going into 1992. Each of the previous dls period, we would put the clocks forward before we went to bed. It was a little confusing the next day, as some people were still adjusting the clocks. And school children were shorted an hour's worth of sleep on one day of the year. But, that being October, it was only a couple months away from school holidays and the teachers were usually lenient on students experiencing a lack of sleep for the first few days of school.

In my late teens, I worked in a fast food restaurant. Working the summer hours, we would have to work in the daylight hours until 7pm in December. That would mean that our customers would come in to get their meals an hour or two after our staff were scheduled to start work. That would mean that the staff would be busy with less prioritised work before they could serve increased customer numbers. Or they were held off for starting until we got the customer numbers. In either event, a DLS period in my town would have held off customers from ordering until between 7 and 8pm. I could not imagine 15 year olds being held back at work until 10pm because their shifts ended an hour later than what they were required.

IP Logged

random
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 4:13pm

Stupid people can't handle daylight saving.

It messes with their heads.

So many farkwits, so little time.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2022 at 12:12pm

random wrote on Oct 4th, 2022 at 4:13pm:
Stupid people can't handle daylight saving.

It messes with their heads.

Aha!  Another confession!!!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 5:42am

I honestly think Qld could do with having their clocks moved forward one hour!
I’m up before the crows!
The daylight oozing through the window shades at 4.30 am!
Look at me posting in here so early!
C’mon Qld… you can do it!

IP Logged

AusGeoff
Gold Member

Sage of Gippsland

Victoria
Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 12:34pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 30th, 2022 at 12:14am:
I hate daylight saving...

As do I.

I'm naturally an "owl" rather than a "lark" so it pisses
me off when it's still daylight at ferking 9PM in summer.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 1:33pm

Carl D wrote on Oct 3rd, 2022 at 4:02am:

Yep, and here in WA we don't have to stay up until 2am to change all of the clocks at the start of Daylight Saving (and 3am to change them all back when it finishes).

That was sarcasm, by the way.

But, I did hear many years ago (probably during one of WA's DLS trials) that some people actually used that as a reason why they didn't want it.  Grin Cheesy

Yep, gotta love WA.

No DLS, no pokies in pubs, and no toll roads   Smiley

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #11 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 1:44pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 18th, 2022 at 1:33pm:
Yep, gotta love WA.

Shhh... don't give them any ideas. There was a rumour that the Graham Farmer Freeway/Northbridge Tunnel was going to be a toll road before it opened 22 years ago.

Thank goodness it didn't happen. One of the other things I like about Perth and WA is if they did decide to introduce a toll road or two at least there's alternate free routes even if they do take a little longer to get to your destination.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 1:54pm

Carl D wrote on Nov 18th, 2022 at 1:44pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 18th, 2022 at 1:33pm:
Yep, gotta love WA.

Shhh... don't give them any ideas. There was a rumour that the Graham Farmer Freeway/Northbridge Tunnel was going to be a toll road before it opened 22 years ago.

Thank goodness it didn't happen. One of the other things I like about Perth and WA is if they did decide to introduce a toll road or two at least there's alternate free routes even if they do take a little longer to get to your destination.

True.

Not like the old days, when all we had was the Garratt Road Bridge.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #13 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 3:39pm

Sophia wrote on Nov 18th, 2022 at 5:42am:
I honestly think Qld could do with having their clocks moved forward one hour!
I’m up before the crows!
The daylight oozing through the window shades at 4.30 am!
Look at me posting in here so early!
C’mon Qld… you can do it!

The civil twilight for my region is about 4:40 in the morning and 7:10 in the evening. If we shift the clocks forward an hour, we get a 5:40 am twilight and an 8:10 pm twilight.  Twilight is about 30 minutes before or after sunrise and sunset. You would be really whingeing about daylight if you were complaining about a predawn light. My bedroom is usually dark all year around because I pull the blinds down.

Night time is usually my best time of day for me to be active. I have to wait until around 4 pm to mow the lawn during the summer. I would mow at 3 pm during the winter months. I simply do not see the need to be outside in the sun during the day when I could accomplish my tasks at night.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 3:42pm

Carl D wrote on Oct 3rd, 2022 at 4:02am:

Over in the USA, some woman hated the end of daylight saving. She had to get up at 3am and put the clock back and hour. Then she had to get up again an hour later and do the same.

IP Logged

AusGeoff
Gold Member

Sage of Gippsland

Victoria
Reply #15 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 11:34pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Nov 18th, 2022 at 3:39pm:
The civil twilight for my region is about 4:40 in the morning and 7:10 in the evening. If we shift the clocks forward an hour, we get a 5:40 am twilight and an 8:10 pm twilight.  Twilight is about 30 minutes before or after sunrise and sunset. You would be really whingeing about daylight if you were complaining about a predawn light. My bedroom is usually dark all year around because I pull the blinds down.

Night time is usually my best time of day for me to be active. I have to wait until around 4 pm to mow the lawn during the summer. I would mow at 3 pm during the winter months. I simply do not see the need to be outside in the sun during the day when I could accomplish my tasks at night.

For me too.  If I could, I'd be happy to mow the lawn at 3AM, but
the neighbours might object LOL.

My sunset/sunrise timing in South Gippsland for first week 2023:

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Nov 20th, 2022 at 4:31pm

Can’t wait to get home to Melbourne so I can sleep in further than 4.30-5 am!!!
Geez what long days it is here in SEQ  Shocked which is good yet by 4 pm I’m pooped!
Queensland truly need to move their time in line with the rest of east Oz  Undecided

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #17 - Nov 20th, 2022 at 5:18pm

And happy smiling cows.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #18 - Nov 20th, 2022 at 5:19pm

Sophia wrote on Nov 20th, 2022 at 4:31pm:
Geez what long days it is here in SEQ  Shocked which is good yet by 4 pm I’m pooped!
Queensland truly need to move their time in line with the rest of east Oz  Undecided

If they did it may be daylight at midnight ? They sorta don't need to save any.

Am I due 50 years of daylight interest, a withdrawal or two and a curtain allowance?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #19 - Nov 20th, 2022 at 6:15pm

Why would there be daylight at midnight, DNA?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #20 - Nov 20th, 2022 at 6:26pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Nov 20th, 2022 at 6:15pm:

Exaggerating but likely later than further south. No wrong - hey I was wrong that is unusual.

Closer to the equator there is less change obviously which is the reason that DLS is not required closer to the equator.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Nov 20th, 2022 at 9:26pm

Dnarever wrote on Nov 20th, 2022 at 5:19pm:
Sophia wrote on Nov 20th, 2022 at 4:31pm:

If they did it may be daylight at midnight ? They sorta don't need to save any.

Am I due 50 years of daylight interest, a withdrawal or two and a curtain allowance?

Actually not far after midnight it’s sunny and bright 3.30 - 4.00 am
I did envy qld not having dls…. but now I think I dislike too much sunlight too early in morning instead.

At least in Vic with extra light at days end one can mow.
But it’s not good etiquette when awake 4.30 am to mow at that time!
Have to wait hours before we can mow at a more appropriate time… seems such a waste not being able to truly utilise those very early sunny mornings.
Except for dairy farmers… but that’s about it.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #22 - Nov 20th, 2022 at 9:57pm

Dnarever wrote on Nov 20th, 2022 at 6:26pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Nov 20th, 2022 at 6:15pm:

Exaggerating but likely later than further south. No wrong - hey I was wrong that is unusual.

Closer to the equator there is less change obviously which is the reason that DLS is not required closer to the equator.

Right on the equator, the sun comes up and sets basically at the same sunrise and sunset every day of the year. The further south or north you go from the equator, the variations start appearing at different times of the year. Qld would get less daylight during our summer than does Victoria and Tasmania. But, Qld does get somewhat more daylight in our winters than does Tasmania. 9 hours of sunshine winter; 15 hours sunshine in the summer for Hobart. Rockhampton sees 13.5 hours of daylight in summer. 10.5 hours of sunlight in winter.

Given the hot weather we have in summer, we like to have our sunsets around the 7pm mark at latest, not 8pm. Rescheduling the clocks is just an irritation to people's lives.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 2:27pm

Far out!!
Again!
This weekend!
How did that time go past so fast since this time last year? Shocked
Huh

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 2:52pm

DLS is retarded.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 3:09pm

I would like to see the country go without it for one summer, then put it to a vote to see if people wanted it back.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 3:20pm

Belgarion wrote on Sep 29th, 2023 at 3:09pm:
I would like to see the country go without it for one summer, then put it to a vote to see if people wanted it back.

Aye.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #27 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 3:49pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 29th, 2023 at 2:52pm:
DLS is retarded.

Are you going to put your cock forward?

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 4:05pm

It only crows when the sun shines.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #29 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 5:21pm

For those people that want to sleep in without having the sun, there are things called "blinds". I was in bed watching movies last night until the late hour. I woke up at 9am and then fell asleep again until 11am. The sun being outside is irrelevant if you use your shades.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 5:55pm

Belgarion wrote on Sep 29th, 2023 at 3:09pm:

Western Australia:

- no toll roads

- no pokies

- no day light savings

Smiley

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #31 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 6:00pm

...and no culture.  Grin

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 7:11pm

Loathe it - I'm a night owl and having to get up at the crack of dawn (hmmm)  to travel two hours each way for a doctor is way past it.

― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 7:16pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 29th, 2023 at 7:11pm:
Loathe it - I'm a night owl and having to get up at the crack of dawn (hmmm)  to travel two hours each way for a doctor is way past it.

How does DLS have any impact on that?   Undecided

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #34 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 7:29pm

Gay weakling Peccary is curious folks.
Just like he was with his first anal excursion.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Sep 30th, 2023 at 8:39pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Sep 29th, 2023 at 7:16pm:

duurrrrr.... lemme think about that.... ummmmm ... could it be that having to get up an extra hour early might make me more tired for the trip?  Driving through my normal sleeping time is hardly recommended at my age and recovering from serious cardio surgery...

― John Adams

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Sep 30th, 2023 at 8:54pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 30th, 2023 at 8:39pm:

duurrrrr.... lemme think about that.... ummmmm ... could it be that having to get up an extra hour early might make me more tired for the trip?  Driving through my normal sleeping time is hardly recommended at my age and recovering from serious cardio surgery...

It's ok crappler   if you need 8 hrs sleep,  you'll still be able to sleep 8hrs.. i know right, why did no one think of that before?

if you still get confused you can unplug your alarm clock and put your watch in a drawer.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #37 - Sep 30th, 2023 at 10:51pm

Clocks will be put forward by one hour at 2am.

It means early on October 1, clocks will jump from 1.59am right to 3am, skipping the 2am hour.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #38 - Oct 1st, 2023 at 3:49pm

Bobby. wrote on Sep 30th, 2023 at 10:51pm:

It means early on October 1, clocks will jump from 1.59am right to 3am, skipping the 2am hour.

Wow, after decades of DLS nobody here knew how it worked until you told us.  Wink

What a clown!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #39 - Oct 1st, 2023 at 4:03pm

People starting work at midnight will work through until 9am, but get paid for eight hours... but only for one night of the year. At the other end of the DLS, they might start work at midnight and work through until 7am and get paid 8 hours work... but only for that one night of the year.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Oct 1st, 2023 at 4:08pm

Do you get up at 2am to do it, or do you have a clock fairy?

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #41 - Oct 1st, 2023 at 4:10pm

Hmmm I will have to manually put the car clock forward, the rest will be done automatically.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #42 - Oct 1st, 2023 at 4:15pm

Back when we had DLS in Qld (and the time when I needed 9 hours of sleep to function), that one day of the year putting the clocks forward was such an inconvenience to people who had school children needing to get up an hour earlier. We had to go to bed an hour earlier than scheduled on the night of the clock change, to get that 9 hours of sleep.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Oct 1st, 2023 at 4:15pm

Oh damn!

That's when I was going to leave the forum forever: at 2am on October 1st 2023.

Oh well  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #44 - Oct 1st, 2023 at 5:38pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 1st, 2023 at 4:15pm:

Oh damn!

Oh well  Roll Eyes

Would you like the Forum to permanently ban you if Trump became President again?
You've lied already twice about leaving... because YOU are a LIAR.  Wink

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Oct 1st, 2023 at 6:34pm

Jasin wrote on Oct 1st, 2023 at 5:38pm:

Oh damn!

Oh well  Roll Eyes

Would you like the Forum to permanently ban you if Trump became President again?

I've told no lies about leaving.

I said that I would leave if the rapist & alleged child rapist you admire & worship won the election in 2016.

He won, and as such I will leave.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Oct 1st, 2023 at 9:16pm

John Smith wrote on Sep 30th, 2023 at 8:54pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 30th, 2023 at 8:39pm:

It's ok crappler   if you need 8 hrs sleep,  you'll still be able to sleep 8hrs.. i know right, why did no one think of that before?

if you still get confused you can unplug your alarm clock and put your watch in a drawer.

Duuuh - if I have to get up at five to meet an appointment rather than six - that cuts into my sleep.  That is part of my regular sleep time and so it has an effect.  What makes you imagine that a person will sleep according to the changed clock?

Oh, look - it's midnight instead of 11 am - I'll just go to bed like I normally do at midnight....

Some of you get dumber by the moment.... we know it's been a tough time for you all - what with Higginsgate trashing your cherished beliefs in saintly women, and now the voice madness headed for the grave ... but you could at least try... make an effort to think straight.

Here I was thinking it was only peccary, Aussie and mothra who had mentally/emotionally collapsed and become near catatonic and hostile at the same time after Higginsgate showed the truth about that fiasco and then the voice collapsed, and you had scraped through with some semblance of sanity left - I was so wrong there.

Nice of you to step up to the plate for them though.... but you have as much effect as a marshmallow on people and things here.

….... you have reached the psychiatric emergency hot line....  your call is important to us, so please remain on the roof top and avoid hanging around or jumping to conclusions…. please listen carefully to our menu of options:-

…if anally retentive, press no buttons and wait ….
... if  obsessive compulsive - press any button or buttons repeatedly ...
... if schizophrenic please press buttons 1 & 2 ...
... if bi-polar press buttons 1 or 9 ...
... if you are borderline, please select any button at random, then another at random.... repeat ...
... if multiple personality, press all buttons in sequence from 1 to 0 and wait for a party line ...
.... if feeling angry or hostile, smash all buttons again and again while shouting at the telephone …
… if megalomaniac or suffering delusions of grandeur, press star …
… if you just feel you've messed something up, press hash …
… if genderly confused, just press the cut-off button and our emergency surgical team will be wheels up with a chopper …
... if depressed and lonely, and possibly feeling unimportant and suicidal, please just wait on the line until someone has time to bother with you ......

Do not hang up - your call is important to us ...... please enjoy our recording of  Donald Duck reading War and Peace ....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #47 - Oct 1st, 2023 at 9:44pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 1st, 2023 at 6:34pm:

Oh damn!

Oh well  Roll Eyes

I've told no lies about leaving.

I said that I would leave if the rapist & alleged child rapist you admire & worship won the election in 2016.

He won, and as such I will leave.

So you're a Fraud also.
Let alone a 'Con' artist.
Nobody accepts your pathetic spin on your promises.

You're a LIAR.
You're a FRAUD.
You're a CON-ARTIST.
You're a COWARD.
You're just a pathetic TROLL.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #48 - Oct 2nd, 2023 at 2:42pm

Could you admit the very real possibility that Trump won't make it to the next election?

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Oct 2nd, 2023 at 6:33pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 2nd, 2023 at 2:42pm:

Could you admit the very real possibility that Trump won't make it to the next election?

Not sure if Wonky Joe will.... do a Feinstein instead....

.. you are entering Senility... do not pass go... do not collect $200 ... go to Community Chest to see how much your doctor bills etc will be........

I predict a Trump comeback..... the charges are ridiculous and trumped up... (gasps) ...

― John Adams

IP Logged

AusGeoff
Gold Member

Sage of Gippsland

Victoria
Reply #50 - Oct 2nd, 2023 at 6:51pm

I too loathe DST.     Angry

The idea of aligning waking hours to daylight hours
in order to conserve candles(!) was first proposed in 1784
by Benjamin Franklin.     DST was first implemented in
the US with the Standard Time Act of 1918, a wartime
measure for seven months during World War I in the
interest of adding more daylight hours to conserve
energy resources.

Australia introduced it because we're idiots—as compared
with the Northern hemisphere, the Southern hemisphere
doesn't require it.

There should of course have been a plebiscite held on its
introduction here, but the government(s) of the day would
not do that because they knew the no vote would win.

IP Logged

AusGeoff
Gold Member

Sage of Gippsland

Victoria
Reply #51 - Oct 2nd, 2023 at 6:56pm

Jasin wrote on Oct 1st, 2023 at 9:44pm:
You're a LIAR.
You're a FRAUD.
You're a CON-ARTIST.
You're a COWARD.
You're just a pathetic TROLL.

This is hilarious coming from someone who's
just trolled this thread with a totally off-topic
comment merely to insult another member.

Please don't waste any more of our time Jasin
with your puerile non-responses. 

Time to grow up sonny.     Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #52 - Oct 2nd, 2023 at 7:21pm

AusGeoff wrote on Oct 2nd, 2023 at 6:51pm:

energy resources.

doesn't require it.

You're so silly.

The summer solstice in Melbourne is the 22nd of December -
the sun rises at 5:55am  daylight saving time.
With normal time the sun would rise at 4:55am.

Let's call that 5:00am.
Since most people get out of bed at about 6:00am or later  -
a whole hour at least of daylight would be wasted without daylight saving.
It also means that after work people can still enjoy their lives with
some sunshine left to go out to the beach etc or
maybe mow their lawns and do something useful after work.

you are forgiven

namaste

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #53 - Oct 3rd, 2023 at 12:29am

I mowed the lawn at 4pm this afternoon. With DLS, I would have waited until 5pm. It is too hot an hour before sundown to do much outside. I don't know anyone that goes outside to use the sunlight without adequate shade. But, you being from Melbourne means that you get angled sunlight. Rockhampton gets more direct sunlight and warmer weather.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #54 - Oct 3rd, 2023 at 5:31am

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 3rd, 2023 at 12:29am:
I mowed the lawn at 4pm this afternoon. With DLS, I would have waited until 5pm. It is too hot an hour before sundown to do much outside. I don't know anyone that goes outside to use the sunlight without adequate shade. But, you being from Melbourne means that you get angled sunlight. Rockhampton gets more direct sunlight and warmer weather.

Daylight saving is not needed in the tropics.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #55 - Oct 3rd, 2023 at 1:31pm

Bobby. wrote on Oct 3rd, 2023 at 5:31am:

Daylight saving is not needed in the southern states that get more daylight anyway.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #56 - Oct 3rd, 2023 at 1:36pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 3rd, 2023 at 1:31pm:
Bobby. wrote on Oct 3rd, 2023 at 5:31am:

Daylight saving is not needed in the southern states that get more daylight anyway.

It's just one extra hour of useful daylight when people would otherwise be sleeping.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Oct 3rd, 2023 at 2:56pm

energy resources.

doesn't require it

You are correct.

We had a vote on it here in WA, and we said "NO!"

WA: no toll roads, no pokies, and no DLS   Smiley

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Oct 3rd, 2023 at 9:53pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 3rd, 2023 at 2:56pm:

energy resources.

doesn't require it

You are correct.

We had a vote on it here in WA, and we said "NO!"

WA: no toll roads, no pokies, and no DLS   Smiley

Ah yes - PIPs - a Grappler Party platform plank....Popularly Initiated Plebiscites  ....

(No - a plebscite is NOT John Smith's or mothra's kind of parasite - same as a phagocyte is not a... you know....)

― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #59 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 6:37am

Just when the early morning commuters and workers were starting to enjoy some extra sunshine in their day...

...they take it away and give it to the arvo-evening people.

DLS: making something simple (and natural) more complicated than it needs to be, just to appear more sophisticated than it really is.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #60 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 8:29am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 1st, 2023 at 9:16pm:
Duuuh - if I have to get up at five to meet an appointment rather than six - that cuts into my sleep.  That is part of my regular sleep time and so it has an effect.  What makes you imagine that a person will sleep according to the changed clock?

if you're tired, You'll go to sleep earlier. It's not rocket science

Are you scared you might miss out on the chance of yet another post with you crying about aborigines?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #61 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 9:24am

Idiot Moron Smith once again shows how much of a Gronk he is.

The Human biorhythms and circadian are attuned to the 'natural' period of light and dark - not some 'gimmick' of time displacement so retail can cash in.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 11:09am

Jasin wrote on Oct 4th, 2023 at 9:24am:

The Human biorhythms and circadian are attuned to the 'natural' period of light and dark - not some 'gimmick' of time displacement so retail can cash in.

and it gets lighter earlier,, so putting the clock forward one hour puts your clock in line with your bodies biorhythms dumbarse. You would know that if you ever had to get up for work

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 11:55am

My biorhythms don't want to be forced to catch up with a clock.... let it catch up with me....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #64 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 12:59pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 4th, 2023 at 11:09am:

and it gets lighter earlier,, so putting the clock forward one hour puts your clock in line with your bodies biorhythms dumbarse. You would know that if you ever had to get up for work

Is this dickhead for real?
Huh Roll Eyes

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 2:25pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 4th, 2023 at 11:55am:
My biorhythms don't want to be forced to catch up with a clock.... let it catch up with me....

FFS, you don't work. Turn the clock off if it bothers you that much . You're just aren't happy if you're not playing the victim

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #66 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 2:28pm

If you have to wake up very early for work, say 5am, summer sucks anyway because the sunset is very close to your sleep time if you're trying to get 9 hours, and DLS exacerbates that.

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #67 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 2:33pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 4th, 2023 at 2:25pm:

FFS, you don't work. Turn the clock off if it bothers you that much . You're just aren't happy if you're not playing the victim

Says the Gronk inbred who supports the Victim Culture. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 3:10pm

Jasin wrote on Oct 4th, 2023 at 2:33pm:
John Smith wrote on Oct 4th, 2023 at 2:25pm:

Says the Gronk inbred who supports the Victim Culture. Roll Eyes

Liar, I have never supported crappler

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #69 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 3:49pm

Your pathetic attempt to use Grapps as an excuse is a laugh.  Grin
Grapps has never supported the Victimhood leftards like yourself. You'll probably try desperately to convince us that he is WOKE too - just to hide your own sad stupidity as a Leftard and Gronk.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #70 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 4:27pm

Bobby. wrote on Oct 3rd, 2023 at 1:36pm:
It's just one extra hour of useful daylight when people would otherwise be sleeping.

The argument here is that people in southern states are not getting up an hour earlier and making use of those earlier sunrises.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #71 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 4:42pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 4th, 2023 at 11:09am:

Reminds me of part of the storyline to the movie "Insomnia" (starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams). The issue of the characters dealing with the "midnight sun" in Alaska. Al Pacino's character not being able to sleep because of the supposed interference of too much light in his hotel room. But, the reality being that he was too psychologically traumatised because he tampered with evidence in a previous murder case.

Anyone can sleep if they are tired. I have gone to sleep with the light on or the television still playing. The only way that light (sunlight or bedroom) would affect your sleep is if you are feeling like you have something that needs accomplishing whilst there is the ability to see easily. But if you have gone to bed at 4 in the morning, not amount of daylight hours will shift you from your bed until the heat of the day makes you uncomfortable enough to get up and do something about it.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #72 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 5:54pm

Nearly 7pm and it feels like very late 'arvo'.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #73 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 9:35pm

Jasin wrote on Oct 4th, 2023 at 5:54pm:
Nearly 7pm and it feels like very late 'arvo'.  Roll Eyes

Early 6pm sunset still in October. It gets to 6:50pm on the 22nd of December for our latest afternoon sunsets. 5:40pm sunsets during the dead of winter.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #74 - Oct 5th, 2023 at 5:14am

Sunset 7.16pm here

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #75 - Oct 5th, 2023 at 9:15pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 4th, 2023 at 4:27pm:

The argument here is that people in southern states are not getting up an hour earlier and making use of those earlier sunrises.

It's not about the earlier sunrises, it's about the  time remaining when you finish work to be able to go out and enjoy the warmer weather.  Today was the first time I was able to go for a beach walk with the kids after work in months,  normally it's getting dark.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #76 - Oct 5th, 2023 at 9:59pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 5th, 2023 at 9:15pm:

It's not about the earlier sunrises, it's about the  time remaining when you finish work to be able to go out and enjoy the warmer weather.  Today was the first time I was able to go for a beach walk with the kids after work in months,  normally it's getting dark.

If you have a 9 to 5 job, and even if you were to take an hour to get ready to go to the beach, an hour more afternoon sunlight is not going to make a difference. And there is nothing wrong with going to the beach after sunset. I make a point to go to the beach once a month on a full moon. Not that I am trying to avoid people in town seeing me turn into a werewolf. But, the moon rising over the water is quite the spectacle.

Even then, there must be businesses all over the place needing to hold off their staff and keep them for later because their businesses rely on customers coming in at sundown. Socialising usually happens at the end of the day.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Oct 6th, 2023 at 6:08am

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 5th, 2023 at 9:59pm:
John Smith wrote on Oct 5th, 2023 at 9:15pm:

If you have a 9 to 5 job, and even if you were to take an hour to get ready to go to the beach, an hour more afternoon sunlight is not going to make a difference. And there is nothing wrong with going to the beach after sunset. I make a point to go to the beach once a month on a full moon. Not that I am trying to avoid people in town seeing me turn into a werewolf. But, the moon rising over the water is quite the spectacle.

Even then, there must be businesses all over the place needing to hold off their staff and keep them for later because their businesses rely on customers coming in at sundown. Socialising usually happens at the end of the day.

An hour makes every difference. Maybe if you had kids and worked more than 10 hrs a week you would realise that.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #78 - Oct 6th, 2023 at 1:06pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 6th, 2023 at 6:08am:
An hour makes every difference. Maybe if you had kids and worked more than 10 hrs a week you would realise that.

The hour does make all the difference. That is the point. It is nearly 1pm here in the early part of October. Already, I can't wait for the sundown. I don't know where you live. But I would assume it is somewhere south of where I live. Ever since late September, the daylight hours in southern states have been getting longer than what we experience up here. Places like Sydney get 14.5 hours of daylight in December. We get 13.5 hours of daylight at the same time of year. If you cannot go to the beach or do whatever after work activity in the time you have in daylight hours, I do not see how the setting of the sun will stop you from continuing.

As for working 10 hours a week, I have just come back from 5 weeks of leave. And even with all that free time, you would not expect me to be out in the afternoon sun before 4pm. I don't need to hold off mowing the lawn for another hour, just because someone wants to walk in the daylight on the beach in some southern state. So, there's that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print