Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
DLS again! So soon? (Read 1963 times)
Sophia
Gold Member

DLS again! So soon?
Sep 29th, 2022 at 11:27pm

It feels like the middle of winter here and we just ended DLS, yet now it’s about to begin again this Sunday.
It puts us out of sync with Qld NT and WA.
How lucky they are to have constant time and no faded curtains!

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: DLS again! So soon?
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 12:14am

I hate daylight saving...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 4:49pm

It has been a cold start to spring this year. I had my doona off the bed and the ceiling fan operating. After a few nights of shivering, I shut off the fan. The window was open instead of using the fan. Cool mornings where I had trouble sleeping, including this morning. Even with the sun coming up earlier at this time of year, I have to sleep in with a bit of warmth before I get out of bed. Else I am too tired to do much during the day.

Daylight saving was an interesting concept to have in the late 1980s. But after a couple years of enduring 8pm sunsets/twilights in December to January, it was irritating for children and teenagers to get to sleep for the hour before bedtime. I remember my bedtime of 9pm was basically set by the time I was 9 years old. But, even with the sun down 90 minutes before that in November, you would need the cool change to start somewhere before 9pm. But that was just me. I got my required 8 hours sleep, even if I fell asleep by 11pm.

I felt sorry for those younger than me, trying to get to sleep by 8pm or earlier. "Why do we have to go to bed when the sun is still out?". Or there was the issue of living outside of SEQld's temperate climate and having to deal with days that are 30 to 35 degrees each day (unless it rained). That was a common issue from October until March.

I do not have an issue anymore with daylight saving time. But, I would rather we not have DLS in Qld. And SEQld can just adapt to issues regarding varying time zones with NSW in their own way.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 7:35pm

Great ... I'm moving south soon and I can't wait to get back into daylight savings mode.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2022 at 4:02am

Sophia wrote on Sep 29th, 2022 at 11:27pm:
It feels like the middle of winter here and we just ended DLS, yet now it’s about to begin again this Sunday.

Yep, and here in WA we don't have to stay up until 2am to change all of the clocks at the start of Daylight Saving (and 3am to change them all back when it finishes).

That was sarcasm, by the way.

But, I did hear many years ago (probably during one of WA's DLS trials) that some people actually used that as a reason why they didn't want it.  Grin Cheesy

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 4:00pm

I cannot remember when we had our last daylight saving in Qld. Probably 1991 going into 1992. Each of the previous dls period, we would put the clocks forward before we went to bed. It was a little confusing the next day, as some people were still adjusting the clocks. And school children were shorted an hour's worth of sleep on one day of the year. But, that being October, it was only a couple months away from school holidays and the teachers were usually lenient on students experiencing a lack of sleep for the first few days of school.

In my late teens, I worked in a fast food restaurant. Working the summer hours, we would have to work in the daylight hours until 7pm in December. That would mean that our customers would come in to get their meals an hour or two after our staff were scheduled to start work. That would mean that the staff would be busy with less prioritised work before they could serve increased customer numbers. Or they were held off for starting until we got the customer numbers. In either event, a DLS period in my town would have held off customers from ordering until between 7 and 8pm. I could not imagine 15 year olds being held back at work until 10pm because their shifts ended an hour later than what they were required.

IP Logged

random
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 4:13pm

Stupid people can't handle daylight saving.

It messes with their heads.

So many farkwits, so little time.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2022 at 12:12pm

random wrote on Oct 4th, 2022 at 4:13pm:
Stupid people can't handle daylight saving.

It messes with their heads.

Aha!  Another confession!!!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 5:42am

I honestly think Qld could do with having their clocks moved forward one hour!
I’m up before the crows!
The daylight oozing through the window shades at 4.30 am!
Look at me posting in here so early!
C’mon Qld… you can do it!

IP Logged

AusGeoff
Gold Member

Sage of Gippsland

Victoria
Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 12:34pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 30th, 2022 at 12:14am:
I hate daylight saving...

As do I.

I'm naturally an "owl" rather than a "lark" so it pisses
me off when it's still daylight at ferking 9PM in summer.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 1:33pm

Carl D wrote on Oct 3rd, 2022 at 4:02am:
Sophia wrote on Sep 29th, 2022 at 11:27pm:

Yep, and here in WA we don't have to stay up until 2am to change all of the clocks at the start of Daylight Saving (and 3am to change them all back when it finishes).

That was sarcasm, by the way.

But, I did hear many years ago (probably during one of WA's DLS trials) that some people actually used that as a reason why they didn't want it.  Grin Cheesy

Yep, gotta love WA.

No DLS, no pokies in pubs, and no toll roads   Smiley

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #11 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 1:44pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 18th, 2022 at 1:33pm:
Yep, gotta love WA.

Shhh... don't give them any ideas. There was a rumour that the Graham Farmer Freeway/Northbridge Tunnel was going to be a toll road before it opened 22 years ago.

Thank goodness it didn't happen. One of the other things I like about Perth and WA is if they did decide to introduce a toll road or two at least there's alternate free routes even if they do take a little longer to get to your destination.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 1:54pm

Carl D wrote on Nov 18th, 2022 at 1:44pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 18th, 2022 at 1:33pm:
Yep, gotta love WA.

Shhh... don't give them any ideas. There was a rumour that the Graham Farmer Freeway/Northbridge Tunnel was going to be a toll road before it opened 22 years ago.

Thank goodness it didn't happen. One of the other things I like about Perth and WA is if they did decide to introduce a toll road or two at least there's alternate free routes even if they do take a little longer to get to your destination.

True.

Not like the old days, when all we had was the Garratt Road Bridge.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #13 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 3:39pm

Sophia wrote on Nov 18th, 2022 at 5:42am:
I honestly think Qld could do with having their clocks moved forward one hour!
I’m up before the crows!
The daylight oozing through the window shades at 4.30 am!
Look at me posting in here so early!
C’mon Qld… you can do it!

The civil twilight for my region is about 4:40 in the morning and 7:10 in the evening. If we shift the clocks forward an hour, we get a 5:40 am twilight and an 8:10 pm twilight.  Twilight is about 30 minutes before or after sunrise and sunset. You would be really whingeing about daylight if you were complaining about a predawn light. My bedroom is usually dark all year around because I pull the blinds down.

Night time is usually my best time of day for me to be active. I have to wait until around 4 pm to mow the lawn during the summer. I would mow at 3 pm during the winter months. I simply do not see the need to be outside in the sun during the day when I could accomplish my tasks at night.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 3:42pm

Carl D wrote on Oct 3rd, 2022 at 4:02am:

Over in the USA, some woman hated the end of daylight saving. She had to get up at 3am and put the clock back and hour. Then she had to get up again an hour later and do the same.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print