Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17
Send Topic Print
Optus customers hacked. (Read 8466 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Optus customers hacked.
Reply #195 - Oct 24th, 2022 at 7:57pm

Sophia wrote on Oct 24th, 2022 at 7:53pm:
Bobby. wrote on Oct 24th, 2022 at 7:23pm:
Sophia wrote on Oct 24th, 2022 at 7:12pm:
Yes… apart from not having to expose my credit card details to every seller…. PayPal do protect us against fraud up to a certain amount. I think it was $3,000 ?

I can pick them on eBay now… the frauds… they have no feedback, and only just joined with a pricey camera as an example… photos look good… then eventually a unaware newby comes in to buy it… I watch it for a long while to see if there’s ever a feedback but nothing! And nothing further from seller.
Some seem stagnant and some disappear.
There’s new sellers coming on all the time… one hit wonders.

And then… there’s carsales web …. I told the husband… if it looks too good to be true… it’s a fraud!
Not once but twice I told him… the second time he wanted me to contact the seller… I said that means they have my phone and my email!

So I put his Christian name, my email and his mobile number since it’s a 15 year old flip phone with no data on it  Grin
And I get no reply. The ad is continually on… I reported it… hear nothing back from carsales either.
I say to hubby…well now I will have spam in my email and you will get odd calls.

He was apologetic after… I told him if I feel the ad is fake… trust me!
He’s just not tech savvy … he says he’s an analogue man in a digital world.
Usually the honest sellers in carsales advert have a phone number to call.

Before buying on catch  I quickly checked Google and it seemed alright.
After I was ripped off I did a more extensive search and
found plenty of dissatisfied customers - at a few places -
some who fell for the same trap as me.
You need to spend a lot of time checking out websites first.
The first things you find in Google are often fake glowing references.

A few years back I had ordered stuff from Catch of the Day… they were good.
I never had a problem.
Now… via NoniB I ordered some linen sheets … there were 2 packages… one came… the other didn’t.
It took 3 months to find out why it wasn’t delivered. I kept on them about it.
Frustrated me no end. To finally finding out it wasn’t Oz post that lost it, that order never left the warehouse!
Why was it so difficult to find out????
So by then… those linen sheets were sold out!
I got a refund instead.
Honestly… if I didn’t keep on it… they be too slack to find resolve.

Many online shops won't tell you when they don't have stock, they just send you what they have and hope they get what's missing in stock before you get pissed off . That way they at least get some of your money.  If they told you they were out of stock you simply go shop elsewhere

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #196 - Oct 24th, 2022 at 7:59pm

Sophia wrote on Oct 24th, 2022 at 7:56pm:
I now made a list … things expected in the post.
What it is, the amount, date paid/ordered, invoice number etc.
Then as I receive them I cross it off the list.
Just a tad paranoid if I forget what I ordered… then can’t chase it up.

You'd be surprised just how many have no idea what they've ordered Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #197 - Oct 24th, 2022 at 8:24pm

Sophia wrote on Oct 24th, 2022 at 7:53pm:
A few years back I had ordered stuff from Catch of the Day… they were good.
I never had a problem.
Now… via NoniB I ordered some linen sheets … there were 2 packages… one came… the other didn’t.
It took 3 months to find out why it wasn’t delivered. I kept on them about it.
Frustrated me no end. To finally finding out it wasn’t Oz post that lost it, that order never left the warehouse!
Why was it so difficult to find out????
So by then… those linen sheets were sold out!
I got a refund instead.
Honestly… if I didn’t keep on it… they be too slack to find resolve.

They shouldn't accept an order for something that is not in stock.
It's fraud.
I suppose instead of clicking buy now you
need to email them and confirm that it's in stock first?
However - I think many of them would lie to you just to get the order.
I suppose they think you'll just get sick of asking and go away -
then they pocket your money.
In my case it was for over $400 so I told them to either credit me or
I'd put in a Paypal dispute.
They obviously didn't want that as they soon credited the money to Paypal.

However - I have hardly ever been ripped off with internet transactions.
I would say maybe only 1 in 20 transactions.
Most places want repeat business so they do the right thing.
With me catch.com.au lost a valuable customer and
now they are getting a serve on social media too.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #198 - Oct 27th, 2022 at 10:49pm

I got a notification from Telstra that an unauthorised attempt to access my email occurred from Romania.
Then it says if it was you then ignore this message… otherwise to click on a link to change my password!
So I did do that.
The worst part is the timing… communicating with a interstate conveyancer….and lots of info emailed back and forth.
And getting a letter (an actual letter in snail mail form) from them about cyber security etc

I’m just getting a wee bit paranoid.  Angry

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #199 - Oct 27th, 2022 at 10:55pm

Sophia wrote on Oct 27th, 2022 at 10:49pm:
I got a notification from Telstra that an unauthorised attempt to access my email occurred from Romania.
Then it says if it was you then ignore this message… otherwise to click on a link to change my password!
So I did do that.
The worst part is the timing… communicating with a interstate conveyancer….and lots of info emailed back and forth.
And getting a letter (an actual letter in snail mail form) from them about cyber security etc

You clicked on a link from an email?

How do you know that wasn't an email from a scammer?

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #200 - Oct 27th, 2022 at 11:02pm

Bobby. wrote on Oct 27th, 2022 at 10:55pm:
So I did do that.

Oh no no no… it was in my mobile phone…and then I got a one time passcode on my phone to verify it’s me changing the password.
Clicking a link in emails is big no from me…
I did once without thinking… supposed delivery from Oz post… was crypto lock programme.

That was the end of that computer.
Unless I paid a ransom of $700 but as I had saved all my files on hard drive… there wasn’t much I cared for on that older computer. I said stuff them… I’d rather pay for a new computer than pay a ransom.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #201 - Oct 27th, 2022 at 11:17pm

Sophia wrote on Oct 27th, 2022 at 11:02pm:
I’d rather pay for a new computer than pay a ransom.

Pay for a new computer?

If you had all your files saved somewhere else (which is what everyone should be doing) you could just format the hard drive and reinstall Windows or whatever operating system you had on there.

Then just copy all of your files, etc. back again after you've finished.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #202 - Oct 27th, 2022 at 11:39pm

Carl D wrote on Oct 27th, 2022 at 11:17pm:
I’d rather pay for a new computer than pay a ransom.

Pay for a new computer?

If you had all your files saved somewhere else (which is what everyone should be doing) you could just format the hard drive and reinstall Windows or whatever operating system you had on there.

Then just copy all of your files, etc. back again after you've finished.

I wouldn’t have a clue! You could be right. This cryotolock was vicious.
There wasn’t any advice of what to do at the time.

It was a windows 7 computer and I do miss it… I used to play chess with it. I finally won a game against computer!
Now I’m thinking to buy a chess programme to download so I can play chess with computer again  Smiley

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #203 - Oct 27th, 2022 at 11:47pm

Bobby. wrote on Oct 27th, 2022 at 10:55pm:
So I did do that.

Oh no no no… it was in my mobile phone…and then I got a one time passcode on my phone to verify it’s me changing the password.
Clicking a link in emails is big no from me…
I did once without thinking… supposed delivery from Oz post… was crypto lock programme.

That was the end of that computer.
Unless I paid a ransom of $700 but as I had saved all my files on hard drive… there wasn’t much I cared for on that older computer. I said stuff them… I’d rather pay for a new computer than pay a ransom.

You still might have been compromised.
Never click on any links in emails.
Always go to the official website that you find in Google -
and go from there.
Keep a record of the correct site addresses -
only a simple - or a .  can change the address to a spoof web page run by a hacker.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #204 - Oct 27th, 2022 at 11:55pm

Thanks for your concern and advice Bobby but it was all through Telstra via my phone and then I went on the official Telstra site and logged in with my new password and it was all good.
The message on my phone was from Telstra as I had a lot of other messages on there from past… eg: passcodes…prepaid receipts etc and when I would phone with account query I would get a reference number.
So the message coming through from there re: Romania…

But I’m going to further check and call tomorrow …. I want to know more about this unauthorised attempt.

Actually I just recalled something… I went to sign in and I misspelled the email and it showed error and I didn’t get in.
I promptly got a text on my phone to say an attempt was made from Australia and the time… to get into my email… if it was me to ignore the message…. Otherwise to change password by clicking on their link etc
So it was me that time …. but spell errors happen when typing on a teeny phone keyboard
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2022 at 12:01am by Sophia »  

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #205 - Oct 28th, 2022 at 12:05am

Sophia wrote on Oct 27th, 2022 at 11:55pm:
Thanks for your concern and advice Bobby but it was all through Telstra via my phone and then I went on the official Telstra site and logged in with my new password and it was all good.
The message on my phone was from Telstra as I had a lot of other messages on there from past… eg: passcodes…prepaid receipts etc and when I would phone with account query I would get a reference number.
So the message coming through from there re: Romania…

But I’m going to further check and call tomorrow …. I want to know more about this unauthorised attempt.

Actually I just recalled something… I went to sign in and I misspelled the email and it showed error and I didn’t get in.
I promptly got a text on my phone to say an attempt was made from Australia and the time… to get into my email… if it was me to ignore the message…. Otherwise to change password by clicking on their link etc
So it was me that time …. but spell errors happen when typing on a teeny phone keyboard

Most hackers win by getting you to click on something in an email.
They have fake websites that look like the real websites.
You enter your password and they have your password.

Another trick is that the email contains a virus
or a link to a virus - and when you click on it -
the virus is loaded on to your phone or computer.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #206 - Oct 28th, 2022 at 5:46am

Apparently medibank was hacked too and they got ALL customers data as well as a lot of historical data. Perhaps australian govts need to rethink this everything online thing.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #207 - Oct 28th, 2022 at 6:39am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Oct 28th, 2022 at 5:46am:
Apparently medibank was hacked too and they got ALL customers data as well as a lot of historical data. Perhaps australian govts need to rethink this everything online thing.

Spot

I reckon the legislation about keeping all records on people
to combat crime was ill thought out as it's impossible
to keep data 100% safe when it's connected live to the internet.
There is plenty of blame against the Govts. for their stupid laws.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #208 - Oct 31st, 2022 at 11:55am

Even the Govt. can't secure your data:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-31/defence-department-ransomware-attack-fore...

Here we go again - more data breaches:

Australian Defence Department caught up in ransomware attack

By defence correspondent Andrew Greene

Posted 2h ago
2 hours ago

A communications platform used by military personnel and Defence Department public servants has been hit by a ransomware attack.
Key points:

Defence says there is no evidence past and present staff's data were compromised
    The hack occurred on an external IT provider
    Defence bosses warned they expected the frequency, intensity and sophistication of cyber attacks to grow

Hackers have targeted the ForceNet service, which is run by an external ICT provider, but Defence has been told no data of current or former personnel appears to have been compromised.

In a message to all staff, the Defence secretary and Defence Chief said the matter was being taken "very seriously".

There's been a spate of cyber attacks in recent weeks, from telecommunication companies to health insurers.

Medibank last week confirmed a criminal entity behind the cyber attack on the company had access to the data of at least 4 million customers, some of which includes health claims.

A month earlier, Optus announced a cyber attack had exposed the data of almost 10 million Australians, with significant amounts of data stolen from 2.8 million people.

In their email to staff, the Defence bosses were adamant the hack of ForceNet was not an attack on the department's IT systems.
, updated 1h ago

"We are taking this matter very seriously and working with the provider to determine the extent of the attack and if the data of current and former APS (Australian public service) staff and ADF personnel has been impacted," they wrote.

"If you had a ForceNet account in 2018, we urge you to be vigilant but not alarmed."

"Initial discussions with the service provider indicate there is no evidence that the data of current and former APS staff and ADF personnel has been compromised.

"We are nevertheless examining the contents of the 2018 ForceNet dataset and what personal information it contains."

The note to staff warned that Defence expected the frequency, intensity and sophistication of hacks to grow with time. It reminded staff they were not immune from attacks.

Assistant Minister for Defence Matt Thistlethwaite said the attack was being taken "very seriously", with the ADF in the process of contacting members.

"They're suggesting considering changing passwords and moving to two-factor authentication and the like, but importantly, the aim will be to support ADF personnel," he said.

"There is no evidence of a dataset being breached at this stage."

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #209 - Oct 31st, 2022 at 1:38pm

It's often the Govt. itself that has ruined security.

As far back as 1998 Microsoft's email client Outlook had an
encryption feature so people could send each other secret emails.
The US Govt. forced Bill Gates to make a backdoor on it
so all your emails could be read by the Govt.
What's worse is that Bill gates wasn't allowed to tell his users
that the new feature was fake.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17
Send Topic Print