Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
History - Ripping Yarns (Read 2317 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

History - Ripping Yarns
Sep 14th, 2022 at 4:22pm

A thread for little-known but fascinating 'ripping yarns' from history, Australian and global.

I was listening to this Conversation now twice today, it was on the Sydney Local station before noon, on my way to the airport and then now on RN.

An Australian bloke can take credit for the election of Prez Kennedy  Shocked and another for the victory at Guadalcanal 9now Solomon Islands). plus a cast of other fascinating tales from the War in the Pacific.

Australia's secret spy ring
https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/australia-secret-army-michae...

Readers are invited to post their own links fascinating tales from history.

A bonus tale from Michael Veitch from an earlier Conversations, The terrible journey of the Ticonderoga.
https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations-michael-veitch...

(I started this on the Philosophy board since that comes closest to History from among the existing boards)

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: History - Ripping Yarns
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 5:21pm

I have just finished Veitch's book. A fascinating story about a little known part of our military history. Kennedy's PR macinie certainly played up his 'war hero' status in his election campaign. However even though he showed great courage after his boat was sunk, there was talk of him being disciplined for negligence. Seems he was sitting with two of his three engines shut down and was unable to maneuver out of the way of the oncoming destroyer in time.  Given the notoriously unreliable engines on that class of PT boat there was SOP that the engines were not to be shut down due to the time lag in starting them up again.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 5:26pm

Belgarion wrote on Sep 14th, 2022 at 5:21pm:
I have just finished Veitch's book. A fascinating story about a little known part of our military history. Kennedy's PR macinie certainly played up his 'war hero' status in his election campaign. However even though he showed great courage after his boat was sunk, there was talk of him being disciplined for negligence. Seems he was sitting with two of his three engines shut down and was unable to maneuver out of the way of the oncoming destroyer in time.  Given the notoriously unreliable engines on that class of PT boat there was SOP that the engines were not to be shut down due to the time lag in starting them up again.

Sums up the Media darling JFK alright.
Also a filthy sex addict who was negligent with his status of privilege and was thus knocked off by angry husbands who found someone to take the fall for such a glorious prize.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 5:45pm

Belgarion wrote on Sep 14th, 2022 at 5:21pm:

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 9:54pm

This is a ripping yarn by a literary master. Funny.

(Save yourself an Audible subscription)

IP Logged

John_Taverner
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2022 at 8:13am

It's about time somebody started a thread on history. I think it warrants a separate forum.

72+Adelaide+Street  
IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2022 at 11:06am

John_Taverner wrote on Sep 19th, 2022 at 8:13am:
It's about time somebody started a thread on history. I think it warrants a separate forum.

That is a very good idea, I would like to see it happen. However given some of the people that post on here it would need strict moderation to stay on track.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2022 at 2:27pm

"The 100 years ago show" has many, many ripping yarns or at least their headlines. Fascinating, instructive, entertaining.
A gem of a listen. The musical interludes are a treat.

https://www.steynonline.com/the-hundred-years-ago-show/

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 19th, 2022 at 2:32pm

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2022 at 1:54pm

The namesakes
Some of history’s other Charles IIIs:

– Charles III, King of Naples (1382-86): forced Pope Urban VI into exile, then moved to Hungary, whose throne he had assumed through marriage. Was assassinated.

– Charles III, King of Navarre (1387-1425): made peace with France.

– Charles III, Duke of Savoy (1504-53): lost when France invaded Savoy in 1536. Remained king in name but spent the rest
of his life in exile.

– Charles III, Duke of Bourbon (1505-21): tried to regain independence from France by partitioning the kingdom. Fled to Italy when the plot was discovered.

– Charles III, King of Spain (1759-88): invaded the Kingdom of Naples and claimed it for Spain.

– Charles III, Duke of Parma (1849-54): placed Parma under martial law. Was assassinated.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #10 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 8:49am

Belgarion wrote on Sep 19th, 2022 at 11:06am:
John_Taverner wrote on Sep 19th, 2022 at 8:13am:

That is a very good idea, I would like to see it happen. However given some of the people that post on here it would need strict moderation to stay on track.

Did someone mention strict moderation lol?

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #11 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 11:00am

John Taverner for Mod of History MRB!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 11:12am

Frank wrote on Sep 27th, 2022 at 1:54pm:
The namesakes

And then there was the almost-Charles III of Britain in the mid-18th century - Charles Edward Stuart or Bonnie Prince Charlie.

The memory of his legacy in Scotland was the reason royal commentators through the Queen's reign thought Charles would never use his own name as his regnal one, apparently preferring George VII.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #13 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 11:50am

MeisterEckhart wrote on Oct 1st, 2022 at 11:12am:
The namesakes

And then there was the almost-Charles III of Britain in the mid-18th century - Charles Edward Stuart or Bonnie Prince Charlie.

The memory of his legacy in Scotland was the reason royal commentators through the Queen's reign thought Charles would never use his own name as his regnal one, apparently preferring George VII.

Oh how quaint. I had no idea other forum members were capable of highlighting the more embarrassing members of the German and French I mean English royal family. And yet ... here we are Roll Eyes

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 11:57am

Lisa Jones wrote on Oct 1st, 2022 at 11:50am:
MeisterEckhart wrote on Oct 1st, 2022 at 11:12am:
The namesakes

Oh how quaint. I had no idea other forum members were capable of highlighting the more embarrassing members of the German and French I mean English royal family. And yet ... here we are Roll Eyes

And Scottish. Are you aware of the Scottish House of Stuart's 18th-century claim to the Scottish and English crowns?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print