Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Bali bomber release after only 10 years. (Read 1018 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Bali bomber release after only 10 years.
Aug 19th, 2022 at 9:11am

https://7news.com.au/sunrise/bali-bomber-set-to-be-released-early-ahead-of-20th-...

Bali bomber set to be released early ahead of 20th anniversary
of attack that killed 88 Australians.
The convicted bomb maker will have spent just 10 years in prison
over the double suicide bombings that killed 88 Australians in Kuta.

A convicted terrorist jailed over the 2002 Bali bombings is expected to walk free from prison - barely two months ahead of the 20th anniversary of the attacks.

On October 12, 2002, the double suicide bombings at two bars in the Bali tourist district of Kuta claimed the lives of 202 people, including 88 Australians.

See more on the developments in the video player above

Watch Sunrise on Channel 7 and stream it for free on 7plus >>

Following a decade-long manhunt, Umar Patek, 52, was in 2012 jailed over his role in the attacks and sentenced to 20 years in jail.

However, now the convicted bomb maker is expected to be released in just days - 10 years earlier than his original sentence.

Patek was granted an early release as part of Indonesia’s Independence Day celebrations.

Although Patek has only served half his sentence, officials insist he has been de-radicalised.

7NEWS Reporter Liam Tapper told Sunrise there were a few factors behind the decision, including that he has reportedly been behaving well behind bars.

“He has also co-operated with police in their investigations,” he said.

“Another reason is he has made a public statement pledging allegiance to Australia, and he has also apologised to two people who lost family members in that time.”

The timing of his release comes as a devastating blow to victims’ families as they prepare to mark the 20th anniversary of the attacks in October.

The families say the news of his early release has come as a shock.

The memorial service is expected to take place at a Bali memorial in the Sydney suburb of Coogee.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Bali bomber release after only 10 years.
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 9:26am

He killed 202 people.
He got only 18 days in jail for each person he killed.
Why be so lenient?

Why didn't they hang him?

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 11:20am

Bobby. wrote on Aug 19th, 2022 at 9:26am:
He killed 202 people.
Why be so lenient?

He went on the run hiding in other muslim countries and it took 10 years to get him - how much did that cost?

If he's so apologetic, then why didn't he hand himself in much earlier?

He pledged allegiance to Australia! .... does that mean he wants to become an Australian citizen?  I'll bet the Libs and Labs would let him too, given their track record of letting criminal types into Australia, and being luvvy duvvy globalist progressives

They reckon he's de-radicalized, so what's he going to do now, get a job, get married, raise a family and be a model citizen ... after he helped to murder 88 Aussies and numerous fellow Indonesians?

What we need to do is protect ourselves from muslims, and the do-gooders that care for them, the ones that say we all share the same genetics

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 1:12pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Aug 19th, 2022 at 11:20am:
Bobby. wrote on Aug 19th, 2022 at 9:26am:
He killed 202 people.
Why be so lenient?

He went on the run hiding in other muslim countries and it took 10 years to get him - how much did that cost?

If he's so apologetic, then why didn't he hand himself in much earlier?

He pledged allegiance to Australia! .... does that mean he wants to become an Australian citizen?  I'll bet the Libs and Labs would let him too, given their track record of letting criminal types into Australia, and being luvvy duvvy globalist progressives

They reckon he's de-radicalized, so what's he going to do now, get a job, get married, raise a family and be a model citizen ... after he helped to murder 88 Aussies and numerous fellow Indonesians?

What we need to do is protect ourselves from muslims, and the do-gooders that care for them, the ones that say we all share the same genetics

Hang the bastard.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 3:58pm

1. He will either be released now, or in a maximum 10 years time. Either scenario would cause distress to the victim's families.

2. the article reports that his sentence was commuted at least in part because of his cooperation with authorities - which has presumably led to other arrests, if not thwarting actual terrorist plots.

All I'll say is that the promise of a commuted sentence in exchange for crucial information that could save lives - is a fundamentally necessary carrot for counter-terrorist authorities to use.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 7:03pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 19th, 2022 at 3:58pm:
1. He will either be released now, or in a maximum 10 years time. Either scenario would cause distress to the victim's families.

2. the article reports that his sentence was commuted at least in part because of his cooperation with authorities - which has presumably led to other arrests, if not thwarting actual terrorist plots.

All I'll say is that the promise of a commuted sentence in exchange for crucial information that could save lives - is a fundamentally necessary carrot for counter-terrorist authorities to use.

So he didn't cooperate out of the goodness of his heart?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 7:15pm

Australian bogans will show their outrage by no longer visiting Bali twice a year to drink their crap beer, have their hair braided, and buy Bintang singlets and cheap souvenirs.

Lol   Grin

Just kidding.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 7:36pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 19th, 2022 at 7:15pm:
Australian bogans will show their outrage by no longer visiting Bali twice a year to drink their crap beer, have their hair braided, and buy Bintang singlets and cheap souvenirs.

Lol   Grin

Just kidding.

It's no laughing matter.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 7:44pm

"Shazza, shall we boycott Bali to show our utter disgust at this appalling decision?"

"Nah.  I wanna get my hair braided. Book another Garuda flight Dazza, and a hotel with a spa in the good part of Kuta".

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 8:12pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 19th, 2022 at 7:44pm:
"Shazza, shall we boycott Bali to show our utter disgust at this appalling decision?"

"Nah.  I wanna get my hair braided. Book another Garuda flight Dazza, and a hotel with a spa in the good part of Kuta".

I'd never go to that dump.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 9:04pm

Bobby. wrote on Aug 19th, 2022 at 8:12pm:

Do you surf?

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 9:25pm

I tried surfing once when I was about 15 years old.
I couldn't get the board out beyond the waves -
they kept washing me back in.
I gave up.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 11:13pm

Mooslims cannot be trusted.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2022 at 2:32am

Bobby. wrote on Aug 19th, 2022 at 7:03pm:

So he didn't cooperate out of the goodness of his heart?

Gandalf is just sticking up for a fellow muslim, he just went the long way of saying it, and trying to appease us with .....

"All I'll say is that the promise of a commuted sentence in exchange for crucial information that could save lives - is a fundamentally necessary carrot for counter-terrorist authorities to use"

There'll always be muslim attacks - that's what Gandalf is saying

The perpetrator would be still living free in Pakistan had he not been found, with absolutely no intention of giving "crucial information" to the authorities to save lives. The more lives lost in muslim attacks, the more he would have celebrated

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Aug 20th, 2022 at 8:11am

2. the article reports that his sentence was commuted at least in part because of his cooperation with authorities

This is what it actually says:

Quote:
Patek was granted an early release as part of Indonesia’s Independence Day celebrations.

Hooray.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Aug 20th, 2022 at 12:22pm

A member of the notorious Islamic State kidnap-and-murder cell known as the “Beatles” was sentenced to life in prison by a US court on Friday for the deaths of four American hostages in Syria.

El Shafee Elsheikh, 34, was given eight concurrent life sentences with no possibility of parole after being convicted in April of hostage-taking, conspiracy to murder US citizens and supporting a terrorist organisation.

Judge T.S. Ellis, handing down the sentence in a US District Court in Alexandria, Virginia, said Elsheikh’s conduct “can only be described as horrific, barbaric, brutal, callous and, of course, criminal.”

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #16 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 12:45pm

freediver wrote on Aug 20th, 2022 at 8:11am:
2. the article reports that his sentence was commuted at least in part because of his cooperation with authorities

This is what it actually says:

Quote:

Hooray.

read it again FD:

Quote:
7NEWS Reporter Liam Tapper told Sunrise there were a few factors behind the decision, including that he has reportedly been behaving well behind bars.

He has also co-operated with police in their investigations,” he said.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #17 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 1:38pm

Hi polite_gandalf,
would you have preferred to see him hanged in public?
Wouldn't it be a good deterrent to others and
show that justice was done?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #18 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 1:40pm

Gordon wrote on Aug 19th, 2022 at 9:04pm:
Bobby. wrote on Aug 19th, 2022 at 8:12pm:

Do you surf?

https://i.ibb.co/rHp0zL3/1582707516-blog-bannr-34.jpg

Lots of places have an ocean.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #19 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 1:46pm

Bobby. wrote on Aug 19th, 2022 at 7:36pm:

Lol   Grin

Just kidding.

It's no laughing matter.

No its not but the statement is correct.

Australians should have chosen to punish them for the bombing to some extent in order to reduce the risk.

However in this case the actions serve to confirm that Indonesia were at least passively in support of the radical religious fanatics who did it.

They execute an Australian for having a small quantity of a drug but killing 200 people gets a local bomb making known terrorist a slap on the wrist.

Why would anyone go to a country where the law is obviously corrupt and stacked against visitors from the west.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #20 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 2:18pm

Bobby. wrote on Aug 22nd, 2022 at 1:38pm:
Hi polite_gandalf,

Hi Bobby. No.

In case you didn't notice, these guys love death. Public execution would be especially appealing - draws attention to their "cause", while they get to die as martyrs.

Quote:

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #21 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 2:20pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 22nd, 2022 at 2:18pm:
Bobby. wrote on Aug 22nd, 2022 at 1:38pm:
Hi polite_gandalf,

Hi Bobby. No.

In case you didn't notice, these guys love death. Public execution would be especially appealing - draws attention to their "cause", while they get to die as martyrs.

But he killed 202 people.
Why be so lenient?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #22 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 2:30pm

Dnarever wrote on Aug 22nd, 2022 at 1:46pm:

Lol   Grin

Just kidding.

It's no laughing matter.

Australians should have chosen to punish them for the bombing to some extent in order to reduce the risk.

However in this case the actions serve to confirm that Indonesia were at least passively in support of the radical religious fanatics who did it.

They execute an Australian for having a small quantity of a drug but killing 200 people gets a local bomb making known terrorist a slap on the wrist.

Why would anyone go to a country where the law is obviously corrupt and stacked against visitors from the west.

Lets just keep some perspective and not get carried away. The three actual bombers were executed. Also the Australians executed did not merely have a "small quantity of drug" - they were head of a drug trafficking ring that involved 9 people, carrying heroin valued at around $4 million. Not saying I agree with the executions, but it certainly wasn't a trivial matter.

Also I'm pretty sure more Indonesians have been executed than westerners by Indonesia.

Quote:

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #23 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 2:39pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 22nd, 2022 at 2:30pm:
Dnarever wrote on Aug 22nd, 2022 at 1:46pm:

Lol   Grin

Just kidding.

It's no laughing matter.

Lets just keep some perspective and not get carried away. The three actual bombers were executed. Also the Australians executed did not merely have a "small quantity of drug" - they were head of a drug trafficking ring that involved 9 people, carrying heroin valued at around $4 million. Not saying I agree with the executions, but it certainly wasn't a trivial matter.

Also I'm pretty sure more Indonesians have been executed than westerners by Indonesia.

Quote:
they were head of a drug trafficking ring

No they were carrying the drugs, the head of the ring were all safe at home.

The were improperly dobbed in by the AFP when they could have been easily picked up as they re entered Australia. The AFP incompetence (or worse) has been covered up ever since.

Quote:
The three actual bombers were executed.

Without the bomb maker there were no bombs.

Now he is back on the market. Likely he has an add listed on terrorist weekly.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #24 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 2:57pm

Dnarever wrote on Aug 22nd, 2022 at 2:39pm:

Sukamaran and Chan organized and ran the smuggling run with their 7 co-smugglers. Regardless of who supplied them with the drugs, they lead the actual ring- hence ringleaders. They were also the only 2 who were executed.

Its not like they wouldn't have known that Indonesia has the death penalty for drug smuggling before they chose to make the run.

I don't know the details of the bomb maker's trial and sentencing - for some reason the prosecution did not pursue the death sentence. And when people are sentenced to gaol time, there's always the possibility of getting the sentence commuted - as was also the case for Rennae Lawrence and Shappelle Corby. And yes, its a crappy situation for the victim's families that he gets let out, but it hardly points to a grand conspiracy that unfairly targets westerners for execution and is lenient towards Indonesian terrorists.

Quote:

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 4:04pm

Frank wrote on Aug 20th, 2022 at 12:22pm:
A member of the notorious Islamic State kidnap-and-murder cell known as the “Beatles” was sentenced to life in prison by a US court on Friday for the deaths of four American hostages in Syria.

El Shafee Elsheikh, 34, was given eight concurrent life sentences
with no possibility of parole
after being convicted in April of hostage-taking, conspiracy to murder US citizens and supporting a terrorist organisation.

Judge T.S. Ellis, handing down the sentence in a US District Court in Alexandria, Virginia, said Elsheikh’s conduct “can only be described as horrific, barbaric, brutal, callous and, of course, criminal.”

Not sure about the "no possibility of parole" bit, I can see that some of the media is reporting it that way, but I haven't found where the Judge said it

"Concurrent" means very little, one day spent in jail for the worst charge, is one day off each of the other seven charges simultaneously

This makes it much easier for him to get parole after a period of time if in fact a non-parole period was not set

We need to listen to, or read the full sentence given by the Judge ... I'm having difficulty finding it

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 4:08pm

Of course, if he did get parole, he would be deported straight back to the UK ... I'm sure they'd love to take him back

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #27 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 4:15pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Aug 22nd, 2022 at 4:08pm:
Of course, if he did get parole, he would be deported straight back to the UK ... I'm sure they'd love to take him back

He should have been hanged in public on prime time TV.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #28 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 5:48pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 22nd, 2022 at 2:57pm:
Dnarever wrote on Aug 22nd, 2022 at 2:39pm:

Sukamaran and Chan organized and ran the smuggling run with their 7 co-smugglers. Regardless of who supplied them with the drugs, they lead the actual ring- hence ringleaders. They were also the only 2 who were executed.

Its not like they wouldn't have known that Indonesia has the death penalty for drug smuggling before they chose to make the run.

I don't know the details of the bomb maker's trial and sentencing - for some reason the prosecution did not pursue the death sentence. And when people are sentenced to gaol time, there's always the possibility of getting the sentence commuted - as was also the case for Rennae Lawrence and Shappelle Corby. And yes, its a crappy situation for the victim's families that he gets let out, but it hardly points to a grand conspiracy that unfairly targets westerners for execution and is lenient towards Indonesian terrorists.

They were only executed because the AFP did the wrong thing. They are not meant to expose Australians to execution and they clearly had the option of picking them up when they returned. The AFP IMO acted in contravention of their guidelines and were complicit through their negligence or incompetence in the death of Australians.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print