Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Calorie Shifting (Read 630 times)
AiA
Gold Member

Calorie Shifting
Jul 14th, 2022 at 12:43am

I didn't know there is a term for something I discovered on my own way back and have practiced for a long time: eat at a caloric deficit during the week and eat more on the weekends. Pretty simple really. According to the research, an expanded version of this method works wonders on dissolving PURE FAT and keeping it off.

https://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/11/calorie-shifting-refeeding-for-max-fat....

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Gordon

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Calorie Shifting
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2022 at 3:37pm

About 5 weeks ago I thought I'd try fasting for a day, never really did it before but I decided to see how few calories I could get b y on.

I did a 1 day of fasti then 1 day on 200 calories, one day of fasting, one day on 400 calories. Then I increased to 800 calories for about 3 days in a row then had a splurge day. Get this, the splurge day was about 1600 calories and I felt stuffed.

For about 5 weeks I've been doing between 800-1200 calories 4 days a week, more on days I do weights but I've found I just don't need to eat anything like I was before.

I don't think this is sustainable, but I'll wait and see how long it lasts.

IBI

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2022 at 12:50am

Gordon wrote on Jul 14th, 2022 at 3:37pm:
About 5 weeks ago I thought I'd try fasting for a day, never really did it before but I decided to see how few calories I could get b y on.

I did a 1 day of fasti then 1 day on 200 calories, one day of fasting, one day on 400 calories. Then I increased to 800 calories for about 3 days in a row then had a splurge day. Get this, the splurge day was about 1600 calories and I felt stuffed.

For about 5 weeks I've been doing between 800-1200 calories 4 days a week, more on days I do weights but I've found I just don't need to eat anything like I was before.

I don't think this is sustainable, but I'll wait and see how long it lasts.

A common mistake is eating too little and exercising too much, well, not common enough really, but common among those who take care of themselves. Like you say, sustainability is the key.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2022 at 1:56am

Back in 1997, I would take a water bottle filled with cordial with me to work. During the shift, I would take sips from the bottle. Little did I know then that drinking sugary water was doing my body no favours. I ended up losing weight and experiencing a type of malnourished physicality. I was 60kg by June that year.

I switched over to water for the remainder of my work there. I also went to KFC for a Saturday afternoon meal after working a lunch. Little did I know that Dad made Saturday a KFC meal for the night. I gained weight to the point that I was over 100kg by the following year. Healthy meals and a determined effort to lose weight had me down to 78kg by the end of the year.

The quality of what you eat is more important than the quantity of what you eat. If you eat low fat, low carb meals that are around the recommended daily calorie intake, you might feel hungry for a few weeks. But, the nutrients you get from a healthy meal will have your body adjust so that the physical needs you have to perform will be optimised. If you eat an unhealthy or even a modest diet, your body will struggle to find ways to burn off the fat and carbs.

Fasting should be short-term and only a once-a-week thing if you are overweight or obese. With my very poor diet in the last 5 days, I will have to undergo a day of fasting (low-calorie consumption) to burn off the fat I have accumulated. But, after that, I will resume a modest to healthy diet and increase my exercise routine.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2022 at 2:06am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 15th, 2022 at 1:56am:
Back in 1997, I would take a water bottle filled with cordial with me to work. During the shift, I would take sips from the bottle. Little did I know then that drinking sugary water was doing my body no favours. I ended up losing weight and experiencing a type of malnourished physicality. I was 60kg by June that year.

I switched over to water for the remainder of my work there. I also went to KFC for a Saturday afternoon meal after working a lunch. Little did I know that Dad made Saturday a KFC meal for the night. I gained weight to the point that I was over 100kg by the following year. Healthy meals and a determined effort to lose weight had me down to 78kg by the end of the year.

The quality of what you eat is more important than the quantity of what you eat. If you eat low fat, low carb meals that are around the recommended daily calorie intake, you might feel hungry for a few weeks. But, the nutrients you get from a healthy meal will have your body adjust so that the physical needs you have to perform will be optimised. If you eat an unhealthy or even a modest diet, your body will struggle to find ways to burn off the fat and carbs.

Fasting should be short-term and only a once-a-week thing if you are overweight or obese. With my very poor diet in the last 5 days, I will have to undergo a day of fasting (low-calorie consumption) to burn off the fat I have accumulated. But, after that, I will resume a modest to healthy diet and increase my exercise routine.

Why not do the calorie shifting exactly as it is outlined in the link and give us the results? I am interested in how it works for you.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2022 at 2:34pm

AiA wrote on Jul 15th, 2022 at 2:06am:
Why not do the calorie shifting exactly as it is outlined in the link and give us the results? I am interested in how it works for you.

I have tried calorie shifting -- back in the days when I did not know what it was. It works. I have even done days when I have starved myself whilst I was physically active. The amount of fat loss I had in my body was remarkable, considering that I was probably overweight at most before the fasting.

Being diabetic, I have to be careful with my fasting. But, fasting works quite well for type 2 diabetics. The insulin resistance gets corrected to a point where I can eat whatever I want without the symptoms of diabetes. The only condition is that I can have a short term splurge before the diabetes condition gets reinstated.

IP Logged

Gordon

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2022 at 2:18pm

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2022 at 11:22pm

Today, I have had a mix of all kinds of bad dieting and fasting. I had half a bar of chocolate before I drank my first of 2 cups of coffee. I did not eat anything other than a few almonds. I had half a bag worth of jubes (the most sugary snack I think I could consume). After an hour, I started cooking dinner (30 minutes ago). I am currently in between hunger and a sugar high. I doubt that I could do worse for a diet in one day.

But, the nutrition of vegetables and low-fat meat should compensate okay. I finished my last beer -- hopefully for the year -- 10 minutes back. And after I have my dinner, I should be able to have an ice cream and prepare for a 4km ruck, that I might be able to turn into a 7.5km ruck by 1 am.

Live and learn, I reckon. I could possibly be restarting (for the fifth time) my diet since I started in 2018. I do not know if I have gotten below my 100kg goal by August. But, I shall check my weight before I have a shower tonight.

IP Logged

Gordon

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2023 at 5:40pm

IBI

IP Logged

Agnes.
Gold Member

St Agness

Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2023 at 6:55pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 26th, 2022 at 11:22pm:
Today, I have had a mix of all kinds of bad dieting and fasting. I had half a bar of chocolate before I drank my first of 2 cups of coffee. I did not eat anything other than a few almonds. I had half a bag worth of jubes (the most sugary snack I think I could consume). After an hour, I started cooking dinner (30 minutes ago). I am currently in between hunger and a sugar high. I doubt that I could do worse for a diet in one day.

But, the nutrition of vegetables and low-fat meat should compensate okay. I finished my last beer -- hopefully for the year -- 10 minutes back. And after I have my dinner, I should be able to have an ice cream and prepare for a 4km ruck, that I might be able to turn into a 7.5km ruck by 1 am.

Live and learn, I reckon. I could possibly be restarting (for the fifth time) my diet since I started in 2018. I do not know if I have gotten below my 100kg goal by August. But, I shall check my weight before I have a shower tonight.

always weigh yourself in the morning- the best time

Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave ~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print