Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Gun Laws/Behaviour (Oz vs USA) (Read 4414 times)
thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Re: Gun Laws/Behaviour (Oz vs USA)
Reply #45 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 5:02pm

Mortdooley wrote on Jul 25th, 2022 at 11:48pm:
Criminals don't obey laws, that is why they are criminals.

Fact is an obsolete law, ie,  the 2nd Amendment,  results in the ongoing slaughter of innocents, regardless  of whether such  gun massacres are carried out by criminals or madmen. That's why the US is number one in gun deaths.

Quote:
A lack of moral values leads to criminal behavior. There is no shifting of blame, it is all part of the same issue.

Actually crime is also related to poverty, in a highly unequal society. So the issue is more complex than
"moral values".

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #46 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 6:05pm

Quote:
Criminals don't obey laws

They do obey the laws of economics. They will be the first to tell you that money talks, BS walks.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #47 - Jul 29th, 2022 at 11:25pm

freediver wrote on Jul 28th, 2022 at 6:05pm:
Quote:

They do obey the laws of economics. They will be the first to tell you that money talks, BS walks.

Which economic laws would that be? The "witch gun" doesn't make them do it!

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

AusGeoff
Gold Member

Sage of Gippsland

Victoria
Reply #48 - Jul 29th, 2022 at 11:59pm

Mortdooley wrote on Jul 25th, 2022 at 12:05am:
The second amendment isn't the cause, the destruction of the traditional family unit and turning away from Judeo-Christian values is!

Strictly speaking, the 2nd Amendment is not the "cause" per se of the massive
possession and use of firearms in the US, but certainly enables it by virtue of its
outmoded and ambiguous wording.  The 2nd would be more than acceptable were
its wording modified in order to suit modern 21st century firearms, ethics and societal
considerations.

The US imposed numerical speed limit for motor vehicles, setting the maximum legal
speed to 12 mph in cities and 15 mph on rural roads in 1901.  Obviously that's changed
vastly until today—as should the antiquated laws governing the licensing, possession
and use of firearms.

And people "turning away" from nebulous religious values has nothing to do with the
increasing number of firearm homicides, suicides, or mass shootings in the US.  That's
just wishful thinking posited by the religious right.  The true cause is one from ready
availability of guns, and slack licensing, carry, and possession laws.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #49 - Jul 30th, 2022 at 8:50am

Mortdooley wrote on Jul 29th, 2022 at 11:25pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 28th, 2022 at 6:05pm:
Quote:

Which economic laws would that be? The "witch gun" doesn't make them do it!

Drugs have fairly inelastic demand. As the early coke traffickers used to say, they create their own markets. If you outlaw it, the price skyrockets, but you have far less impact on consumption. Guns are pretty much the opposite. You can control rates of possession and rates of homicide. Even if the black market exists, the increased cost will influence people's behaviour. Not every criminal is a cunning mastermind who will take advantage. It's quite the opposite. And the cunning ones actually avoid possessing guns because it gives the police a convenient excuse to arrest them.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #50 - Jul 30th, 2022 at 11:43pm

AusGeoff wrote on Jul 29th, 2022 at 11:59pm:
Mortdooley wrote on Jul 25th, 2022 at 12:05am:
The second amendment isn't the cause, the destruction of the traditional family unit and turning away from Judeo-Christian values is!

Strictly speaking, the 2nd Amendment is not the "cause" per se of the massive
possession and use of firearms in the US, but certainly enables it by virtue of its
outmoded and ambiguous wording.  The 2nd would be more than acceptable were
its wording modified in order to suit modern 21st century firearms, ethics and societal
considerations.

The US imposed numerical speed limit for motor vehicles, setting the maximum legal
speed to 12 mph in cities and 15 mph on rural roads in 1901.  Obviously that's changed
vastly until today—as should the antiquated laws governing the licensing, possession
and use of firearms.

And people "turning away" from nebulous religious values has nothing to do with the
increasing number of firearm homicides, suicides, or mass shootings in the US.  That's
just wishful thinking posited by the religious right.  The true cause is one from ready
availability of guns, and slack licensing, carry, and possession laws.

People like to compare motor vehicles to firearms but there is a problem with that. Our Traffic laws only apply to the public streets. A vehicle is private property and can be owned and used without restrictions on private property. I can't keep a full auto firearm without restrictions just because it remains on private property so it is already more restricted than a motor vehicle. Driving on the public roads is a privilege, owning property including vehicles is a Right. We all have the Right of self defense without regard for the laws of any government. Just because a government denies Rights it doesn't make them null and void, they are natural rights. Comparing vehicles to firearms is not a valid argument.

If you have no moral compass you are free to be as big a psychopath as you like. A person who believes they are their own god or there is no god is free to commit the most heinous crimes without guilt or conscience. These copycats are getting their fifteen minutes of fame by their actions because the whole world will hear of them thanks to the Media. The Democrats may even name a gun control law after them.

Many including some here celebrate and even call for the death of conservatives, I think I need to keep my AR just in case they become too powerful!

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print