Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Gun Laws/Behaviour (Oz vs USA) (Read 4324 times)
Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Gun Laws/Behaviour (Oz vs USA)
Jun 25th, 2022 at 1:45pm

I think the only way we Aussies will ever truly understand the gun issues over in the USA is by comparing/contrasting the gun laws we DO know about which affect Australia with what's happening over there and understanding why and where differences exist.

As I was watering my vege and flower gardens this morning I found myself reflecting on the safety of our neighbourhood. Everyone is lovely, friendly, supportive and decent. Nothing ever happens here. No assault or murder or theft. And I guess this is 1 reason why our home insurance policies aren't as expensive as other neighbourhoods in Sydney (especially those out west).

There is no way you'll ever see guns in our neighbourhood. Not even water pistols. Am I to believe and accept ( compliments of mainstream media ) that the US has no such neighbourhoods?

Another thing ... I'd like to know the differences btwn how easily accessible guns are over in the US compared to Australia. What checks and balances do we have here that they don't have there? Would our checks and balances function over in the US?  At any level?

I'm hoping to hear that guns are difficult to obtain here in Australia. Why? There are way too many insane people about and they seem to love posting on OzPol (so I'm concerned about idiots like that getting a hold of some weapon and harming themselves and/or others).

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Re: Gun Laws/Behaviour (Oz vs USA)
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 1:58pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Jun 25th, 2022 at 1:45pm:
Another thing ... I'd like to know the differences btwn how easily accessible guns are over in the US compared to Australia. What checks and balances do we have here that they don't have there? Would our checks and balances function over in the US?  At any level?

In the US, the 2nd Amendment - obsolete garbage from the 18th century - grants the  "right" to bear arms to all citizens. 

The SCOTUS has just reaffirmed this general  'right of carry', though Congress is going the other way,  to enact some  restrictions on access by under 21 years-olds.

It's MUCH more difficult to own guns in Oz (after the Port Arthur massacre...) 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 5:00pm

Quote:
Am I to believe and accept ( compliments of mainstream media ) that the US has no such neighbourhoods?

Wealth is distributed far more unevenly in the US. But the poor people cannot live too far away because they need to be close to work, otherwise there is no-one to serve the maccas.

Also, I think guns are more part of the culture over there. So rich people have them. Not sure if this is just the result of NRA propaganda.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 5:03pm

freediver wrote on Jun 25th, 2022 at 5:00pm:
Quote:
Am I to believe and accept ( compliments of mainstream media ) that the US has no such neighbourhoods?

Wealth is distributed far more unevenly in the US. But the poor people cannot live too far away because they need to be close to work, otherwise there is no-one to serve the maccas.

Also, I think guns are more part of the culture over there. So rich people have them. Not sure if this is just the result of NRA propaganda.

Re culture: would you say that the gun culture there is 2nd Amendment driven?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 5:07pm

It's hard to tell what is the cause and what is the effect. At the time the second amendment was written, there was a genuine gun culture, and probably a genuine need for it. Australia was barely a penal colony, while the US was the wild west.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 5:17pm

freediver wrote on Jun 25th, 2022 at 5:07pm:
It's hard to tell what is the cause and what is the effect. At the time the second amendment was written, there was a genuine gun culture, and probably a genuine need for it. Australia was barely a penal colony, while the US was the wild west.

Ahh yes of course! That explains quite a lot.

I was also thinking about the natives in both countries. The natives here were more docile than the Indians (the Cherokee etc). What's your take on that?

So the fight taken on to conquer the Wild West was a harder one.

Also we had no War of Independence like they did so again there was a need to bear arms for that.

Sorry ....just cooking atm. Ill be back later. Ok? Cheers.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 5:33pm

Not sure about the natives. If that were a real factor, you would expect NZ to have a bigger gun culture than here. I expect fellow immigrants were a bigger danger to most early Americans, unless they were pro mink hunters or something.

They also had the civil war, so a much higher level of fear of the government.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 7:21pm

In my Shire. There are over 12,000 registered guns.

Guns are essential if you want the Free Settlers to kill natives in an unofficial, undisciplined way of doing the dirty work that the Military can't get away with if there is no 'war' aspect.
Australian Free Settlers and their 'right' to own a gun were the major contributers to the Cheer Mobs getting shot.
Don't blame the Convicts, they were still in chains and under watch of the British Troopers. Seems 'America's' influence was the main perpetrator.

But hey, Australia sold out to America when its meagre British Colony of Convicts had to rely upon American Whaling vessels for provisions and more - just to survive.
America owns Australia, just as much as Britain does.

I'm sure if these Celebrity Media Republicans who pipe up every 10 years for a Republic, want to 'usurp' the Cheer Mob in getting their country back 'fully' - then they're gonna need some guns.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 7:24pm

I think the only way we Aussies will ever truly understand the gun issues over in the USA is by comparing/contrasting the gun laws we DO know about which affect Australia with what's happening over there and understanding why and where differences exist.

As I was watering my vege and flower gardens this morning I found myself reflecting on the safety of our neighbourhood. Everyone is lovely, friendly, supportive and decent. Nothing ever happens here. No assault or murder or theft. And I guess this is 1 reason why our home insurance policies aren't as expensive as other neighbourhoods in Sydney (especially those out west).

There is no way you'll ever see guns in our neighbourhood. Not even water pistols. Am I to believe and accept ( compliments of mainstream media ) that the US has no such neighbourhoods?

I'm hoping to hear that guns are difficult to obtain here in Australia. Why? There are way too many insane people about and they seem to love posting on OzPol (so I'm concerned about idiots like that getting a hold of some weapon and harming themselves and/or others).

The USA is deeply divided.  Rich people live in safe, often gated neighbourhoods.  Poor people are left to shoot it out

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 8:20pm

FutureTheLeftWant wrote on Jun 25th, 2022 at 7:24pm:

The USA is deeply divided.  Rich people live in safe, often gated neighbourhoods.  Poor people are left to shoot it out

You have obviously never been there.

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 8:20pm

freediver wrote on Jun 25th, 2022 at 8:20pm:

About 45 times.  you?

IP Logged

random
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 8:32pm

Jasin wrote on Jun 25th, 2022 at 7:21pm:
In my Shire. There are over 12,000 registered guns.

Guns are essential if you want the Free Settlers to kill natives in an unofficial, undisciplined way of doing the dirty work that the Military can't get away with if there is no 'war' aspect.
Australian Free Settlers and their 'right' to own a gun were the major contributers to the Cheer Mobs getting shot.
Don't blame the Convicts, they were still in chains and under watch of the British Troopers. Seems 'America's' influence was the main perpetrator.

But hey, Australia sold out to America when its meagre British Colony of Convicts had to rely upon American Whaling vessels for provisions and more - just to survive.
America owns Australia, just as much as Britain does.

I'm sure if these Celebrity Media Republicans who pipe up every 10 years for a Republic, want to 'usurp' the Cheer Mob in getting their country back 'fully' - then they're gonna need some guns.  Wink

I read a book on Ludwig Leichhardt a couple of years ago.  The book was carefully coded to make sure that the reader got the message that some of his men were only on the expedition to kill the aboriginal men and rape the women.  Some of the men had a tactic to stay another day or three in an area, they scattered the small herd they had and it sometimes took days to round them up, while raping the women some more.  Happened repeatedly.

The leader of the few bad guys was killed one night in a raid on the explorers camp.  They only killed to rapist organizer.

Think about it, a new colony with few women, while naked ones were running about in the bush.  No wonder there were so many half white children.

All enabled by Gunz!

So many farkwits, so little time.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 8:35pm

FutureTheLeftWant wrote on Jun 25th, 2022 at 8:20pm:

About 45 times.  you?

Not that many times, but over a year on the ground.

I don't recall seeing a single gated community.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #13 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 12:45am

freediver wrote on Jun 25th, 2022 at 8:35pm:
FutureTheLeftWant wrote on Jun 25th, 2022 at 8:20pm:

About 45 times.  you?

Not that many times, but over a year on the ground.

I don't recall seeing a single gated community.

That's because you Freediver were in the US whereas Future aka Groggy aka God knows how many other ids .... is talking about Sth Africa.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #14 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 1:10am

freediver wrote on Jun 25th, 2022 at 5:33pm:
Not sure about the natives. If that were a real factor, you would expect NZ to have a bigger gun culture than here. I expect fellow immigrants were a bigger danger to most early Americans, unless they were pro mink hunters or something.

They also had the civil war, so a much higher level of fear of the government.

Damn you Freediver lol! You beat me to it! I had to log off because I was cooking and as I was stirring the stew I found myself reflecting on the Maoris. They were warriors. Even so ... there's no gun culture in NZ today.

The other thing I found myself reflecting on was this :

NZ (like Australia) also didn't have a War of Independence nor did they have a Civil War. The enemies in such conflicts were therefore non existent. Not so for the USA so once again....guns played a pivotal role in getting from 1775 –--> 1865 ( the start of the American War Of Independence through to the end of  the American Civil War ). In any event, the American Indian Wars timeline 1609–1924 (intermittent) also pushed the gun culture along so that the 1st 309 years of the existence of the USA ... its gun culture effectively defined its mode of survival.

So we've reached the mid 1920's. And right now we're in 2022. What's happened in THIS 100 yr period to perpetuate the gun culture in the US?i

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print