Caravaninng (Read 5167 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Caravaninng
Reply #15 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 9:18am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 8:48am:
Frank wrote on Jun 23rd, 2022 at 10:08pm:
We have stayed in bungalows in caravan parks. Never envied the people in tents or caravans. I could imagine a VW Kombi for the romance for say two three days a week and hotels for the rest of the week. But not for weeks or months on end. 
But I know people who love the grottiness of camping and wish them well. I want plumbing.

I pretty much agree with that.

Have also seen a few bush camps where I would really like to be.

After much research we thought a caravan with shower and toilet would be best.
It won't fit on our property - so where to store it?
We would have to buy a tow vehicle.

A few issues told to me by owners were ........ it is a small area to live in for 6 weeks. If you have a disagreement, hard to get your own space for a while
If I go for a poo it will stench out the van. If I have a sleepless night, where do I go to surf, chat and play bridge for a few hours?
You get 2X registration, insurance, maintenance , repair bills. Repair bills for a big serious tow vehicle are MUCH more than repair bills for a 4 cyl petrol.

Some of our friends have a big caravan and landcruiser. It works well for them. Last time they went away for a 'small' trip. 6 weeks.
See, if we go away for a 6 week holiday it is $6K ?
That $6K we never get back, it is gone.
When they have finished with the caravan, they sell it and get some money back.

At this stage the caravans and tow vehicles are very expensive. Look at $130K all up.

A motorhome would be better. Safer.

Maybe a decked out Hyundai iLoad where we can sleep in IF we have to.
We can put our bikes in for day trips.
Better around suburbia.

$130k would buy you about 900 nights in a $150/night room with hot showers, toilet, proper bed, toast and coffee.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 11:45am

Many people are unaware that you need to spread the load evenly between left and right hand side in a caravan or you risk being booked by police for having an uneven load. There are also load limits as to how much you can carry in or on a van and police have access to all the manufacturers recommendations, and they can weigh the vans.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #17 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 11:53am

I'd prefer this.

A bedroll and a hootchie tent in remote places when the weather is nice, when you want some comfort the $150 hotel and a steak at the pub.

Fkuc caravan parks. Obease old men farting in the ablution blocks.

IBI

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #18 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 3:49pm

Frank wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 9:18am:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 8:48am:
Frank wrote on Jun 23rd, 2022 at 10:08pm:
We have stayed in bungalows in caravan parks. Never envied the people in tents or caravans. I could imagine a VW Kombi for the romance for say two three days a week and hotels for the rest of the week. But not for weeks or months on end. 
But I know people who love the grottiness of camping and wish them well. I want plumbing.

I pretty much agree with that.

Have also seen a few bush camps where I would really like to be.

After much research we thought a caravan with shower and toilet would be best.
It won't fit on our property - so where to store it?
We would have to buy a tow vehicle.

A few issues told to me by owners were ........ it is a small area to live in for 6 weeks. If you have a disagreement, hard to get your own space for a while
If I go for a poo it will stench out the van. If I have a sleepless night, where do I go to surf, chat and play bridge for a few hours?
You get 2X registration, insurance, maintenance , repair bills. Repair bills for a big serious tow vehicle are MUCH more than repair bills for a 4 cyl petrol.

Some of our friends have a big caravan and landcruiser. It works well for them. Last time they went away for a 'small' trip. 6 weeks.
See, if we go away for a 6 week holiday it is $6K ?
That $6K we never get back, it is gone.
When they have finished with the caravan, they sell it and get some money back.

At this stage the caravans and tow vehicles are very expensive. Look at $130K all up.

A motorhome would be better. Safer.

Maybe a decked out Hyundai iLoad where we can sleep in IF we have to.
We can put our bikes in for day trips.
Better around suburbia.

$130k would buy you about 900 nights in a $150/night room with hot showers, toilet, proper bed, toast and coffee.

Another option … rather than outlaying money on purchasing a caravan for it to sit in your garage/driveway 10 months of the year…is to hire it. I think it’s about $100 a day.
Winnibargo type motor homes would be about $200 a day.
I recall 3 years ago at the 4 day Rainbow Serpent festival … in a tent… I see a motor home and 3 guys utilising it… I went up and asked about it… got told it was about $750 between the 3 of them for the 4-5 days.

I thinking hiring might be the way to go…. No huge outlays ….if it’s only short term like 2 weeks @ $100 a day = $1,400

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #19 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 3:56pm

Jasin wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 7:58am:
Sophia wrote on Jun 23rd, 2022 at 11:05pm:
We had a 11ft pop top van and travelled all over Vic when the lad was younger and racing Moto-x.
I loved that pop top van… we never had a problem towing.
We had the motor bike tied down inside the van.
Camping in dusty or muddy environment or grass fields. No electricity … but it was always good to come home and refresh having a shower after those weekends away.

Our next one will have solar panels so we go off grid.
If you don’t like caravan parks… there are books to show where you can camp for free safely.

Much earlier in the 70s we had a Holden Ute with a glide on camper.
I remember the roar of the night ocean when we camped near the beach along east coast of NSW…it was so damn loud I couldn’t sleep  Grin

Another time we camped on a dirt country lane amidst farms… to wake up early as upon first morning light…. to see a whole bunch of inquisitive mooing cows  Grin Grin
It must’ve been a surprise for them to see something different … white and bright orange Millard glide on …

It’s a great way to explore this great southern land… hubby is getting old and cold feet about caravanning… reckons we just go to stay in motels…
How boring  Roll Eyes

I do want to see Tasmania… if we could hire a Winnebago in TAS as I heard they are so booked out long term!
Maybe Ayers Rock instead.
Hubby asks “drive there? Why not take the Ghan?” He says. Roll Eyes

Anyway… TBC..

Two very good reasons not to go caravaning around.
Your hubby sounds burnt out from it and over it.
Listen to your hubby. Especially if he has to do the majority of driving or all of it.
Maybe indeed, just do the Ghan.
It takes two to have a good holiday and a safe one.
Not one plus a .5 being dragged along reluctantly.

I’m hearing ya… and as for driving… we do share the driving but yes hubby has more stamina than me to drive longer times/distances. Up until a few years ago we drove to Queensland and back (2 days each time with one night stopover) but we are so over the driving for too many hours in a day.

I says to my ole man… if we drive… it’s 2 hours each and that’s it … no more than 4 hours driving per day… less tiring and more pleasurable to stop at more places along the way rather than just zooming past….
All those interesting little towns I always wished to stop and take in the vibe of the place… we’ll finally might get to do that… like Coonabarabran for instance  Smiley

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #20 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 4:02pm

I don't know the costs here in Oz.
But I only 'hire' Campers in NZ as do most.
Works out heaps cheap and make sure you get 'manual' for the open road, auto for the inner city - it will save 60% in fuel costs travelling.

Australian Tourism, is much like the American Health System - you pay a hell of a lot, for a lot less.
NZ: Travel 10kms and see x100 things.
OZ: Travel 100kms and see x10 things... and pay more.
Which is why NZ is one of the world's leading Tourism nations and Australia isn't.
Don't believe those Tourism sites where things like Sydney are the most liveable, best, etc cities in the world lists. They're all paid for by Australian Tourism.

The success of BackPacker Tourism in Australia is mainly because Australia is so expensive, the only way to get around is as cheaply as you can. Unless you have more money than sense (cents) and can accommodate a better lifestyle experience that would cost way more than in other countries for similar.

Tilba Tilba. A very expensive 'boutique' rip-off Tourism hotspot. Poor oldies on buses they shuffle in to drain them dry.
Then there's Rip-Off Rock in Centralia... need I say more.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 4:19pm

Sophia wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 3:56pm:
no more than 4 hours driving per day… less tiring and more pleasurable to stop at more places along the way rather than just zooming past….
All those interesting little towns I always wished to stop and take in the vibe of the place… we’ll finally might get to do that… like Coonabarabran for instance

When my wife first came to Oz, we took 3 days to get from Brissie to Noosa because my wife didn't want to drive past any of the towns along the way without stopping.

I was shocked when I finally moved to the GC and I found out it was a 3.5hr drive from the goldie.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #22 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 4:20pm

Jasin wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 4:02pm:
I don't know the costs here in Oz.
But I only 'hire' Campers in NZ as do most.
Works out heaps cheap and make sure you get 'manual' for the open road, auto for the inner city - it will save 60% in fuel costs travelling.

Australian Tourism, is much like the American Health System - you pay a hell of a lot, for a lot less.
NZ: Travel 10kms and see x100 things.
OZ: Travel 100kms and see x10 things... and pay more.
Which is why NZ is one of the world's leading Tourism nations and Australia isn't.
Don't believe those Tourism sites where things like Sydney are the most liveable, best, etc cities in the world lists. They're all paid for by Australian Tourism.

The success of BackPacker Tourism in Australia is mainly because Australia is so expensive, the only way to get around is as cheaply as you can. Unless you have more money than sense (cents) and can accommodate a better lifestyle experience that would cost way more than in other countries for similar.

Tilba Tilba. A very expensive 'boutique' rip-off Tourism hotspot. Poor oldies on buses they shuffle in to drain them dry.
Then there's Rip-Off Rock in Centralia... need I say more.

We hired cars at airport when we flew to NZ to drive and yes… there was heaps more to see without doing full day driving to get anywhere.
I love New Zealand! Love the people too. And the different landscapes remind me of different Aussie areas too!
Our last visit to NZ was just before the covid BS lockdown… we went on a cruise around NZ…. Wanted to book that White Island trip … only to find it was booked out… but could do helicopter… but price was exorbitant… so we said nah … forget it… when to climb the steps of Mount Maunganui (took me ages to learn how to pronounce it too  Grin)

It was 2 months after our cruise that the White Island disaster happened when it erupted and cruise passengers died.

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #23 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 4:21pm

John Smith wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 4:19pm:
no more than 4 hours driving per day… less tiring and more pleasurable to stop at more places along the way rather than just zooming past….
All those interesting little towns I always wished to stop and take in the vibe of the place… we’ll finally might get to do that… like Coonabarabran for instance

When my wife first came to Oz, we took 3 days to get from Brissie to Noosa because my wife didn't want to drive past any of the towns along the way without stopping.

I was shocked when I finally moved to the GC and I found out it was a 3.5hr drive from the goldie.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

OMG …. That’s hilarious!!!

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 4:35pm

Sophia wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 4:21pm:
John Smith wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 4:19pm:

OMG …. That’s hilarious!!!

we always laugh now when we drive up to Noosa Grin

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 9:42pm

Watched it last night, sweet and telling.  Mirren and Sutherland are wonderful, cozy old coats to slip into.

Watch at your next camping site.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #26 - Jun 29th, 2022 at 11:07pm

We are looking at a caravan tomorrow! Yay!
But… my friend says… she sees all these new cameras out up where traffic lights are that are to determine your rego and where you travel to, how far you go… apparently…The Greenies are trying to vie for future restriction on travel or to go electric… thus already in trying to stop air flights …

https://generalaviationnews.com/2007/09/21/the-greenies-are-coming-and-wed-bette...

So now that puts me off a caravan.
And… I did test drive an electric car… it’s brilliant! But… no tow bar… they can’t tow anything.

I think greenies will have a hard time preventing Australians from towing or travelling… it would cripple the country.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #27 - Jun 30th, 2022 at 8:16am

They are red light cameras!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #28 - Jun 30th, 2022 at 9:08am

Jovial Monk wrote on Jun 30th, 2022 at 8:16am:
They are red light cameras!

They apparently different to red light cameras. They are lower down, and I suspect it’s to do with catching drivers using mobile phones whilst driving.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jun 30th, 2022 at 9:53am

Sophia wrote on Jun 29th, 2022 at 11:07pm:
The Greenies are trying to vie for future restriction on travel or to go electric… thus already in trying to stop air flights …

crap. A few nut cases protesting aren't going to stop anything. No ones going to stop you caravanning.

Sophia wrote on Jun 29th, 2022 at 11:07pm:
And… I did test drive an electric car… it’s brilliant! But… no tow bar… they can’t tow anything.

I don't know what you tested by the claim that electric cars can't tow is bullshit. Having full torque available at any speed makes them ideal for towing. The main reason some of the electric cars can't tow is because the importers haven't yet certified tow kits to meet australian standards

These are just some of the electric cars that have been approved for towing in Australia

Audi e-tron, Mercedes-Benz EQA 250, Hyundai IONIQ 5 (long-range only), Mercedes-Benz EQC 400, Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model X

as they become more popular the others will seek certification

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print