Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Anyone think it can be done (Read 495 times)
Steampipe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Anyone think it can be done
May 28th, 2022 at 10:31am

America cannot really have gun controls.

There are to many weapons in the country for a start to now try and control them.

If you did start to disarm people then it will only be the law abiding gun owners that will be targeted.

Most people wear guns due to bears, mountain lions and other animals. Plus hunting is part of culture.

Removing guns wont stop the root cause, it could just open the door to things like bombs or other WMD's.

Its just too ingrained like religion.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Anyone think it can be done
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2022 at 10:33am

WWIII will sort it out.

The USA will be turned into a radioactive wasteland and it will have to start all over.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2022 at 10:38am

Steampipe wrote on May 28th, 2022 at 10:31am:

There are to many weapons in the country for a start to now try and control them.

If you did start to disarm people then it will only be the law abiding gun owners that will be targeted.

Most people wear guns due to bears, mountain lions and other animals. Plus hunting is part of culture.

Removing guns wont stop the root cause, it could just open the door to things like bombs or other WMD's.

Yes, because New Zealand and Australia removed the guns from society and now every second person has a bomb or other WMD.

IP Logged

Steampipe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2022 at 10:39am

Captain Nemo wrote on May 28th, 2022 at 10:33am:
WWIII will sort it out.

The USA will be turned into a radioactive wasteland and it will have to start all over.

So the guns will survive but the people wont.

IP Logged

Steampipe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2022 at 10:45am

greggerypeccary wrote on May 28th, 2022 at 10:38am:

Yes, because New Zealand and Australia removed the guns from society and now every second person has a bomb or other WMD.

Guns have never been part of our culture.

I dont know if you follow other countries but just recently in Pakistan 13 were killed in a mosque and there has been several other bomb blasts around the country. Guns dont make people use guns, there is a reason someone want to kill or hurt people.

Driving a car into a crowd can do the same thing as witnessed in England, I prefer Australia where we dont have guns but I can see the logistics of gun control in America.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2022 at 12:51pm

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 28th, 2022 at 1:09pm

In Australia, a gun is not needed to kill, only need crockery, walking stick, and a knife, wielded by a cowardly gambling freak. The guy in the US, who wore girls clothes, was also a freak, and also ethnic

https://www.9news.com.au/national/sydney-cleaner-hanny-papanicolaou-sentenced-ov...

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2022 at 1:11pm

Bias_2012 wrote on May 28th, 2022 at 1:09pm:
In Australia, a gun is not needed to kill, only need crockery, walking stick, and a knife, wielded by a cowardly gambling freak.

How about chopping boards wielded by cowardly wife bashers?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - May 28th, 2022 at 1:22pm

Quote:

There are too many weapons in the country for a start to now try and control them.

I agree - it's too far gone.
They will have to harden security in all schools.
Then again - the previous shooting was
at a supermarket so where does it end?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - May 28th, 2022 at 1:23pm

greggerypeccary wrote on May 28th, 2022 at 1:11pm:
Bias_2012 wrote on May 28th, 2022 at 1:09pm:
In Australia, a gun is not needed to kill, only need crockery, walking stick, and a knife, wielded by a cowardly gambling freak.

How about chopping boards wielded by cowardly wife bashers?

Come on Greggy -
didn't you ever want to throw a chopping board at your nagging wife?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 28th, 2022 at 1:30pm

Bobby. wrote on May 28th, 2022 at 1:22pm:
Quote:

There are too many weapons in the country for a start to now try and control them.

The Republicans have a plan - door control.

They're going to have only one door on all buildings.

I wish I was joking, but that's their actual plan.

Also, colourful ballistic blankets covering up windows.

Again, not joking.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #11 - May 28th, 2022 at 1:41pm

The USA has been one of the most prolific nations designing and manufacturing firearms. It armed itself beginning with long rifled flintlocks and on through revolvers, repeating arms, percussion to brass cartridge, automatics and machine guns. Such developments were contemporary to Indian wars, the Civil War, Spanish America etc. They had the industry, a much larger and dynamic population, and an important place in history. So comparisons with Australia are pretty tenuous. It was easy for Australia to control the sale of firearms, for one, they have to be imported. And two, it is a very small market.
Its all very well to sit here and pontificate about what they should do about gun control, but most Australians think the understand the USA just because they see a lot of movies and TV. They don't.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Steampipe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #12 - May 28th, 2022 at 1:41pm

greggerypeccary wrote on May 28th, 2022 at 1:30pm:
Quote:

Again, not joking.

What you say is a joke but I agree you are not joking.

It seems the left think if you kill all the people on the right then all the killers will be dead.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

I SAY IT CAN'T BE DONE IN AMERICA
Reply #13 - May 28th, 2022 at 1:44pm

greggerypeccary wrote on May 28th, 2022 at 10:38am:

1. Australia had far less guns than the USA has today........less than 3.0 million REGISTERED firearms in 1996 (3.5 million today) in Australia as opposed to an estimated 400+ million privately owned firearms in the USA today. Estimated because less than 25 million of those estimated 400 million are registered.

Why is that important?

Because if they aren't registered the government has no actual idea of how many are owned, by who, & where they are located.

How would the government go about confiscating or even undertaking a mandatory buyback of over 350 million firearms it has know idea of where they are located, or who owns/possesses them?

2. Even if the US Government went door to door to attempt to buyback or confiscate the American People's firearms, do you honestly think Americans would give them up voluntarily.....without a fuss or argument? It would be a blood bath, & I would have to say the US Government would come out holding the short end of the stick to put it ever so mildly.

3. Americans have always been well known for non-compliance......it's a cultural insistence.....

When New York State instituted a large magazine ban & mandatory AR-15 Registration, over one year past the 'final' amnesty date for turning in the magazines & registering their rifles, there was less than a 25% compliance.....to date I believe there is still over 60% non-compliance, & New York is a Liberal (Blue) Democrat/Progressive Left-Wing State where firearms laws are most stringent.

4. Even though Australia is almost as large in size as the USA is, population wise Australia has a population of only about 26-28 million compared to America's 330-340 million (of which it's estimated that over 100 million Americans are well armed).

5. Now all that said, there is one more impregnable roadblock to governmental firearm control. It's a matter of legality. It's called the United States Constitution.....The Law of the Land.......The Second Amendment to the US Constitution.......The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms, shall not be Infringed.

The Second Amendment, written by The People, forbids the Federal Government from infringing upon the Right of Americans to Keep & Bear Arms.........That's the Law, & it wasn't a request.....it was a firm order of the People over a subservient Government...... the servants of the People, instituted by "We the People"..... 

The only way around the Second Amendment is ratifying a new Constitutional Amendment, agreeable to the majority of the people in 38 of the 50 States, repealing the Second Amendment, by changing......totally changing......its wording.  A Right of the People has never been changed, or modified in the 240+ year history of the United States, & getting 3/4 of the 50 States to agree on doing so would be virtually impossible.........that's just one of many major difference between America & Australia.......the American Federal Government must get the consent of the American People before the Constitution can be altered, & that consent must come from far more than a simple democratic majority.....a major difference between a Democracy as you know it to be, & a Constitutional Republic which is what America is.......

« Last Edit: May 28th, 2022 at 1:55pm by Panther »  

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 28th, 2022 at 1:48pm

Steampipe wrote on May 28th, 2022 at 1:41pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 28th, 2022 at 1:30pm:
Quote:

Again, not joking.

What you say is a joke but I agree you are not joking.

It seems the left think if you kill all the people on the right then all the killers will be dead.

No.

Just make guns harder to buy, and have less of them.

Nobody needs to die.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print