Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Two Party Politics In Australia Is Over (Read 469 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Two Party Politics In Australia Is Over
May 27th, 2022 at 7:29am

TWO PARTY POLITICS IN AUSTRALIA IS OVER   Smiley
2022-05-23
Greens.org.au
The ACT Greens have today welcomed the 2022 Federal Election result. While the final results are still unknown, the Greens look set to have the sole balance of power in the Senate, win at least two more seats in the House of Representatives, and have entered the two party preferred count in many more seats, including Canberra.

In the ACT, The Green vote has gone up in every lower house seat in the ACT and we have pushed the Liberals into third position in the seat of Canberra, and in a swag of booths in Fenner and Bean.

The Greens vote nationally has grown hugely, with approximately 2 million people voting Greens. Not only did voters desert the Coalition, but there was a further swing against Labor, taking the major party vote to a new historic low.

Greens candidate for Canberra, Tim Hollo, repeating his words to Greens members and supporters on Saturday night, said “The two party system in Australia is over.” 

Mr Hollo has congratulated Alicia Payne on retaining the seat of Canberra and thanked the over 1000 volunteers who were involved in the ACT Greens campaign for their amazing effort, delivering swings with a tenth of the financial resources of the Liberal, Labor and Independent campaigns.

“I’ve also already been in touch with sitting Greens Senators to discuss moving forward with my proposals to ban corporate political donations and reform the National Capital Authority. I know these ideas and others will be in the mix alongside stopping all new coal and gas, raising the rate of income support, and introducing a Federal ICAC.”

“What’s clear from the huge Greens and Independent crossbench, and the fact that the combined major party vote has crashed to below 70%, is that the tired two party system is over. People want different voices at the table, and they have responded incredibly positively to the Greens proposals, not only to protect our environment but also to clean up politics and to share this country’s wealth fairly.”

“The Australian people saw through the fear mongering about minority government and voted in record numbers for the Greens and for those independents who were also pushing for climate action and integrity.”

“After a lost decade, we now have the chance to make serious change. The Greens will be working our hardest for climate targets in line with the science, that meet our Paris commitment and don’t spell the end of the Great Barrier Reef. We will also seek to tackle the cost of living by getting dental and mental health into Medicare, fixing the housing affordability crisis and wiping student debt.”

"I'm proud we lived our values through this campaign, looking after each other and our volunteers, reducing waste, and leading conversations about big ideas for change."

Quotes attributable to ACT Greens leader Shane Rattenbury

“This is a great result for the Greens federally with increased representation in both Houses of Parliament. A huge number of Australians have moved away from the two major parties and have sent a clear message that they want strong action on climate change and more integrity in politics,” said Mr Rattenbury.

“Having the Greens and Independents in the balance of power will ensure more voices are heard in Parliament and is a great opportunity to work together to get good outcomes for the community.

“Here in the ACT the Greens have held the balance of power since 2008. We have shown it can work well and I encourage the Federal Labor party to work with the Greens federally.

“With Greens in a strong position to negotiate and collaborate with Labor federally, I am hopeful our Greens Ministers here in the ACT Government will be able to achieve even more.

“I hope to see much stronger national action on climate under this Government. In particular I would like to see strong national policy for electric vehicles and higher fuel efficiency standards for vehicles.

“I will also be pushing to restore territory rights in order for the ACT to consider voluntary assisted dying, seeking to have the territory’s historical housing debt wiped and ensuring support for light rail stage two.

“I look forward to working with my federal colleagues towards a cleaner, fairer and brighter future for Australia,” said Mr Rattenbury.

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Two Party Politics In Australia Is Over
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2022 at 7:31am

whiteknight wrote on May 27th, 2022 at 7:29am:
TWO PARTY POLITICS IN AUSTRALIA IS OVER   Smiley
2022-05-23
Greens.org.au
The ACT Greens have today welcomed the 2022 Federal Election result. While the final results are still unknown, the Greens look set to have the sole balance of power in the Senate, win at least two more seats in the House of Representatives, and have entered the two party preferred count in many more seats, including Canberra.

In the ACT, The Green vote has gone up in every lower house seat in the ACT and we have pushed the Liberals into third position in the seat of Canberra, and in a swag of booths in Fenner and Bean.

The Greens vote nationally has grown hugely, with approximately 2 million people voting Greens. Not only did voters desert the Coalition, but there was a further swing against Labor, taking the major party vote to a new historic low.

Greens candidate for Canberra, Tim Hollo, repeating his words to Greens members and supporters on Saturday night, said “The two party system in Australia is over.” 

Mr Hollo has congratulated Alicia Payne on retaining the seat of Canberra and thanked the over 1000 volunteers who were involved in the ACT Greens campaign for their amazing effort, delivering swings with a tenth of the financial resources of the Liberal, Labor and Independent campaigns.

“I’ve also already been in touch with sitting Greens Senators to discuss moving forward with my proposals to ban corporate political donations and reform the National Capital Authority. I know these ideas and others will be in the mix alongside stopping all new coal and gas, raising the rate of income support, and introducing a Federal ICAC.”

“What’s clear from the huge Greens and Independent crossbench, and the fact that the combined major party vote has crashed to below 70%, is that the tired two party system is over. People want different voices at the table, and they have responded incredibly positively to the Greens proposals, not only to protect our environment but also to clean up politics and to share this country’s wealth fairly.”

“The Australian people saw through the fear mongering about minority government and voted in record numbers for the Greens and for those independents who were also pushing for climate action and integrity.”

“After a lost decade, we now have the chance to make serious change. The Greens will be working our hardest for climate targets in line with the science, that meet our Paris commitment and don’t spell the end of the Great Barrier Reef. We will also seek to tackle the cost of living by getting dental and mental health into Medicare, fixing the housing affordability crisis and wiping student debt.”

"I'm proud we lived our values through this campaign, looking after each other and our volunteers, reducing waste, and leading conversations about big ideas for change."

Quotes attributable to ACT Greens leader Shane Rattenbury

“This is a great result for the Greens federally with increased representation in both Houses of Parliament. A huge number of Australians have moved away from the two major parties and have sent a clear message that they want strong action on climate change and more integrity in politics,” said Mr Rattenbury.

“Having the Greens and Independents in the balance of power will ensure more voices are heard in Parliament and is a great opportunity to work together to get good outcomes for the community.

“Here in the ACT the Greens have held the balance of power since 2008. We have shown it can work well and I encourage the Federal Labor party to work with the Greens federally.

“With Greens in a strong position to negotiate and collaborate with Labor federally, I am hopeful our Greens Ministers here in the ACT Government will be able to achieve even more.

“I hope to see much stronger national action on climate under this Government. In particular I would like to see strong national policy for electric vehicles and higher fuel efficiency standards for vehicles.

“I will also be pushing to restore territory rights in order for the ACT to consider voluntary assisted dying, seeking to have the territory’s historical housing debt wiped and ensuring support for light rail stage two.

“I look forward to working with my federal colleagues towards a cleaner, fairer and brighter future for Australia,” said Mr Rattenbury.

I tend to disagree.  Humans will always gravitate to a binary choice over nuance, look at boomers crying about gender.

I think the shift is on, the Liberals are dead ,and the two parties in future are Labor and Greens.  Labor are already setting themselves up as opposed to the Greens.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2022 at 7:36am

Yes i think you are right.  Labor won the election, and also there was a very strong vote for the Australian Greens.   Smiley

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2022 at 7:37am

whiteknight wrote on May 27th, 2022 at 7:36am:
Yes i think you are right.  Labor won the election, and also there was a very strong vote for the Australian Greens.   Smiley

Every election, more old people will die and more young people will vote for the first time.  The Greens vote will only grow.  Liberals think Dutton can lead them back from the wilderness.  They are finished.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2022 at 12:12pm

What the Liberals and their Coalition partners the Nationals got on Saturday was 36 per cent of the first preference vote. What Labor got was 33 per cent.

Some 36 per cent of Australians actively wanted Scott Morrison to continue as prime minister; only 33 per cent – closer to 500,000 fewer – actively wanted Anthony Albanese to replace him.

So if 36 per cent is a “drubbing”, what then, Treasurer, is 33 per cent?

Or is basic arithmetic above your pay grade?

Yes, of course, second – and third and fourth - preferences got Labor to a majority, or just shy, of seats and government.

Albanese is the PM and Morrison is not.

But the idea there was this massive rush to Albanese and Labor is an utter fantasy of leftist propaganda.
Terry McCrann

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2022 at 12:55pm

Reduced primary vote for both major parties

That'll teach them to hoist compulsory voting on us ... it's finally kicking them in the ass, they've only got themselves to blame

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2022 at 1:03pm

Bias_2012 wrote on May 27th, 2022 at 12:55pm:

That'll teach them to hoist compulsory voting on us ... it's finally kicking them in the ass, they've only got themselves to blame

Compulsory voting is a worthwhile weapon against extremism.  I'm going to suggest those who would have preferred not to vote probably voted informal or for a major party

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2022 at 1:06pm

FutureTheLeftWant wrote on May 27th, 2022 at 7:37am:

Every election, more old people will die and more young people will vote for the first time.  The Greens vote will only grow.  Liberals think Dutton can lead them back from the wilderness.  They are finished.

The Libs had a higher primary vote than Labor.

The cost of living, energy prices, inflation, rising debt and the cost of servicing it will all be blamed on the left, especially the Greens who will press on with cockamamie lunatic policies, with teal support.   Albo will need to stare them down otherwise they will drag him down, one way or another. 

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2022 at 1:16pm

Frank wrote on May 27th, 2022 at 1:06pm:

The Libs had a higher primary vote than Labor.

The cost of living, energy prices, inflation, rising debt and the cost of servicing it will all be blamed on the left, especially the Greens who will press on with cockamamie lunatic policies, with teal support.   Albo will need to stare them down otherwise they will drag him down, one way or another. 

I agree, the Greens will drag albo to morality

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2022 at 1:16pm

FutureTheLeftWant wrote on May 27th, 2022 at 1:03pm:

Compulsory voting is a worthwhile weapon against extremism.  I'm going to suggest those who would have preferred not to vote probably voted informal or for a major party

You're indulging in supposition, with no proof of any kind

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 27th, 2022 at 1:16pm

Bias_2012 wrote on May 27th, 2022 at 1:16pm:
FutureTheLeftWant wrote on May 27th, 2022 at 1:03pm:

You're indulging in supposition, with no proof of any kind

HAHAHAAA!!! OK boomer

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #11 - May 27th, 2022 at 2:08pm

The way it works in Australia is that the electorate will give a government one or two terms, and then there is enough ammunition to bring down the incumbent. All Labor/Green has to do now is to electrocute a few apprentices and allow the boats to get out of hand, and they will be in trouble again. They do need to come through with some corruption prosecutions too, or they'll leave themselves open to questions that may be inconvenient.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - May 27th, 2022 at 4:21pm

Every election, more old people will die and more young people will vote for the first time. 
The Greens vote will only grow. 
Liberals think Dutton can lead them back from the wilderness.  They are finished.

But the Green's party has been hijacked by homosexuals.

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 27th, 2022 at 4:22pm

Bobby. wrote on May 27th, 2022 at 4:21pm:

Every election, more old people will die and more young people will vote for the first time. 
Liberals think Dutton can lead them back from the wilderness.  They are finished.

the left always supported equality.  Honestly we don't talk about LGBTIQ rights much nowadays, there's bigger fish to fry.  But we always recognise they exist.

You lost that fight already. 

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - May 27th, 2022 at 4:27pm

FutureTheLeftWant wrote on May 27th, 2022 at 4:22pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 27th, 2022 at 4:21pm:

the left always supported equality.  Honestly we don't talk about LGBTIQ rights much nowadays, there's bigger fish to fry.  But we always recognise they exist.

You lost that fight already. 

The Greens party was born out of concerns for the environment
and then somehow it became a party supporting homos
who sodomise each others stinking backsides.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print