Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Why are Labor so tough on refugees? (Read 1911 times)
Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Re: Why are Labor so tough on refugees?
Reply #15 - May 24th, 2022 at 11:06pm

Gordon wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 9:12pm:
Dnarever wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 9:07pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 8:26pm:
Where does the article mention refugees?

It is an improvement over illegals.

They would have all had a tale of what makes them a bonafide refuge, real or made up. Albo didn't give them enough time for their stories to be checked out.

So where is the outrage?

Your insane team racial hatred shoved down everyone's throat for over 15 years at least means that while we don't like it we at least understand that Labor are not positioned to do the human thing. Maybe we will slowly see some improvements given time. It is possible that humanity will win in the end.

In the mean time and I mean real mean - ScumBo is gone and the non-humane scallop (PotAto) is now dragging the Liberals down.

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - May 25th, 2022 at 7:30am

Gordon wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 8:03pm:
The lefties are appalled by this when Liberals do it, where's the outrage?

A boatload of asylum seekers intercepted by Australian Border Force near Christmas Island on election day has now been returned to Sri Lanka.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-24/labor-turns-back-election-day-asylum-seek...

I remain outraged that Labor mistreat refugees, but I know they are right wing.  If anything, I blame Labor for the dystopian hellscape of our refugee policy.  Labor basically tried to play a populist card to win an election, lost, and have been scared to have morals ever since on this issue

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #17 - May 25th, 2022 at 10:06am

greggerypeccary wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 8:10pm:
How many years have we discussed this issue, and still we have people who don't understand the difference between an asylum seeker and a refugee.

I've read the article in the OP twice, and nowhere does it mention refugees.

So, why is the thread title "Why are Labor so tough on refugees?"

https://c.tenor.com/nnvh8YKcv7EAAAAC/anyone-answer.gif

Most don't know the difference between an immigrant and a refugee/asylum seeker.... an asylum seeker is a refugee who has asked for asylum.... most also don't realise that the very vast majority of ethnic PROBLEMS come with immigrants and not refugees/asylum seekers.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - May 25th, 2022 at 10:07am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 25th, 2022 at 10:06am:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 8:10pm:
How many years have we discussed this issue, and still we have people who don't understand the difference between an asylum seeker and a refugee.

I've read the article in the OP twice, and nowhere does it mention refugees.

So, why is the thread title "Why are Labor so tough on refugees?"

https://c.tenor.com/nnvh8YKcv7EAAAAC/anyone-answer.gif

Most don't know the difference between an immigrant and a refugee/asylum seeker.... an asylum seeker is a refugee who has asked for asylum.... most also don't realise that the very vast majority of ethnic PROBLEMS come with immigrants and not refugees/asylum seekers.

I contend there are  virtually no ethic issues but yes, refugees are always overwhelmingly grateful to be here and keen to contribute

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #19 - May 25th, 2022 at 10:16am

They would have all had a tale of what makes them a bonafide refuge, real or made up. Albo didn't give them enough time for their stories to be checked out.

So where is the outrage?

It is SloMo's policy in place - you had no issue with it the last 8 years or more. In fact it was likely not quick enough for you.

You may wonder why you are seldom taken seriously.

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - May 25th, 2022 at 10:16am

Labor majority government wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 10:01pm:
I'm not getting bogged down in semantics ,  I prefer not to see anyone lose their life at sea irrespective which country ...

Liberals did well stopping Rudd's mess

Liberals were invited to a race to the bottom and responded with glee, to kill refugees

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #21 - May 25th, 2022 at 10:17am

FutureTheLeftWant wrote on May 25th, 2022 at 7:30am:

A boatload of asylum seekers intercepted by Australian Border Force near Christmas Island on election day has now been returned to Sri Lanka.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-24/labor-turns-back-election-day-asylum-seek...

I remain outraged that Labor mistreat refugees, but I know they are right wing.  If anything, I blame Labor for the dystopian hellscape of our refugee policy.  Labor basically tried to play a populist card to win an election, lost, and have been scared to have morals ever since on this issue

Quote:
have been scared to have morals ever since on this issue

Correct.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - May 25th, 2022 at 10:30am

Says who?

How much time were they given?

Show me an example of Labor being tough on refugees (as is stated in the thread title).

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Labor are so much better with asylum seekers.
Reply #23 - May 25th, 2022 at 10:58am

I'm not getting bogged down in semantics ,  I prefer not to see anyone lose their life at sea irrespective which country ...

It has nothing to do with semantics - it's about getting the facts straight.

The article is not about refugees - it's about asylum seekers.

Their claims for protection were immediately assessed, and it has been deemed that they have no valid claim.

They were subsequently given health checks and then safely returned to their point of departure.

Well done, Labor.

Under Morrison, or any coalition government, they would have been interned in concentration camps (at huge expense to tax payers) for years, suffered horrible physical and mental abuse, and then pretty much forgotten about.

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - May 25th, 2022 at 10:59am

greggerypeccary wrote on May 25th, 2022 at 10:58am:

Their claims for protection were immediately assessed, and it has been deemed that they have no valid claim.

They were subsequently given health checks and then safely returned to their point of departure.

Well done, Labor.

Under Morrison, or any coalition government, they would have been interned in concentration camps (at huge expense to tax payers) for years, suffered horrible physical and mental abuse, and then pretty much forgotten about.

Honestly, at this point, knowing what I do about our immediate on water determination progress, I would not assume they were not really refugees.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - May 25th, 2022 at 11:06am

FutureTheLeftWant wrote on May 25th, 2022 at 10:59am:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 25th, 2022 at 10:58am:

Well done, Labor.

Honestly, at this point, knowing what I do about our immediate on water determination progress, I would not assume they were not really refugees.

If they really needed protection, then Labor should be utterly ashamed and I'll be the first to condemn Albo and his team.

However, at this stage we have no evidence whatsoever that they had legitimate claims to protection.

Far more likely that it was a setup by the coalition in order to win last minute votes.

The timing of the incident was just too coincidental.

Remember: the coalition, under Abbott, paid people smugglers to turn boats around.

I wouldn't put anything past them.

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - May 25th, 2022 at 11:09am

greggerypeccary wrote on May 25th, 2022 at 11:06am:
If they really needed protection, then Labor should be utterly ashamed and I'll be the first to condemn Albo and his team.

However, at this stage we have no evidence whatsoever that they had legitimate claims to protection.

Far more likely that it was a setup by the coalition in order to win last minute votes.

Remember: the coalition, under Abbott, paid people smugglers to turn boats around.

It seems likely that the coalition encouraged it, or more likely that there's regular boats but they release the news when it's politically convenient.

The whole process is designed so we CAN'T TELL if they were refugees.  No one can work that out with a 5 minute interview on the high seas.

And yes, Abbott did that. We'll never know what Rudd would have done.  But he signalled cruelty and the Liberals dived in with glee.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - May 25th, 2022 at 11:22am

FutureTheLeftWant wrote on May 25th, 2022 at 11:09am:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 25th, 2022 at 11:06am:

It seems likely that the coalition encouraged it, or more likely that there's regular boats but they release the news when it's politically convenient.

Exactly.

The boats never stopped.  Everybody knows that.

The reporting stopped, that's all.

Thank goodness the corrupt & inept Morrison government is gone.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #28 - May 25th, 2022 at 1:12pm

It's one of their greatest mistakes, but what else can they do?

The Liberal Party, Howard, Abbott and Hockey politicised the issues to the point of no return in terms of common sense.

If Labor ever wanted to ever take the office of Prime Minister again, they had to sacrifice this issue for the good of their overall agenda.

Just like Morrison's claims of Net Zero by 2050.

Where is the righties outrage about that?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #29 - May 25th, 2022 at 1:18pm

I am starting to warm up to Labor already. Glad to have Albanese.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print