Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hybrid cars (Read 1727 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Hybrid cars
May 19th, 2022 at 9:07pm

Have been pondering hybrid vehicles, came up with this explanation for them.

A hybrid recycles the energy that is normally 100% lost during braking and reuses it when the engine most benefits from it.

I am warming up to a hybrid quite a lot.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Hybrid cars
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2022 at 9:14pm

Depends what kind of driving you do. Great in city driving, useless for country driving.

IBI

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2022 at 4:01am

Perhaps it has no advantage when on the freeway.
ie, is about as good as a normal car.

in suburbia it is about as good as it is on the freeway.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2022 at 11:11am

Reading the NRMA magazine this morning. Seems Teslas and Subaru hybrids don't have a spare tyre, not even one of those space saving ones.  Why would anyone buy one?

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2022 at 11:27am

Belgarion wrote on May 20th, 2022 at 11:11am:
Reading the NRMA magazine this morning. Seems Teslas and Subaru hybrids don't have a spare tyre, not even one of those space saving ones.  Why would anyone buy one?   

Wow.

I dislike Subarus. Very nice to drive, they don't last a long time. Complex engine design, expensive servicing once they get older.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - May 20th, 2022 at 11:36am

Sprintcyclist wrote on May 20th, 2022 at 4:01am:
Perhaps it has no advantage when on the freeway.
ie, is about as good as a normal car.

in suburbia it is about as good as it is on the freeway.

If you do all city driving, easy case for.
If you do all freeway driving, easy case against because your paying extra for a car to drag the electrical system around.
If you do a split of both, you need to get the calculator out.

Caveat #1 Small cars like the Corolla, the hybrid is much nicer to drive in the city than the pure ICE.

Caveat #2 A hybrid vehicle MAY pay off just thru maintenance on brakes alone.

IBI

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2022 at 1:15am

Am getting a better appreciation of Hybrids.
These are my estimates

They are about as good as a non-hybrid on the freeway. Around Suburbia they MUCH better than a non-hybrid.
Around Suburbia they are about as good as they are on the freeway, which is amazing.
My camry on the freeway is great. I would not bother about getting a diesel or electric vehicle if all I did was freeway driving.
If you are even 40% in suburbia, a hybrid will make a big difference.

They are really complex but well proven by taxis for over 15 years.
They are linked with CVT transmissions, which I dislike. But with regenerative braking and 'motor/generator' sets, a CVT is very much most suited. Again, proven by Taxis.

Range is about the same, as there is a petrol motor there.
You don't have to plug them in to recharge them. It recharges as you drive.
It is easier to live with than an electric or PHEV.
Just drive them, have them serviced, fill them up with petrol about 60% as often as you would otherwise

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2022 at 1:24pm

not sure sprint.

youre sort of paying for both an ICE and an electrical system and thats got to mean more things that can break.

and i would imagine a lot of mechanics dont know much about them.

personally i like my diesels but i can see their days are numbered.

i'll keep one as a workhorse and for towing but i think if you live in the city, there should be a bunch of purely electric vehicles coming online and some of them will be quite cheap.

put a good solar on your roof , only drive it as a run around for all those little trips.

those little trips are murder on new turbo deisel motors.

lots of cold starts and not enough highway miles and you get all sorts of oil dilution problems, blocked CATS, blocked DPF's, buggered EGR's and PCV systems

deisels for touring and towing and then a little ev to run down to woolies

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2022 at 1:34pm

aquascoot wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 1:24pm:
not sure sprint.

youre sort of paying for both an ICE and an electrical system and thats got to mean more things that can break.

i'll keep one as a workhorse and for towing but i think if you live in the city, there should be a bunch of purely electric vehicles coming online and some of them will be quite cheap.

put a good solar on your roof , only drive it as a run around for all those little trips.

lots of cold starts and not enough highway miles and you get all sorts of oil dilution problems, blocked CATS, blocked DPF's, buggered EGR's and PCV systems

There is a LOT in that I agree with.

Thanks for your considered input

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - May 27th, 2022 at 8:48pm

IBI

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 28th, 2022 at 12:34am

Sprintcyclist wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 1:34pm:
not sure sprint.

The new Corolla hybrid with CVT has a proper 1st gear for getting off the mark. This change came from many CVTs breaking because people try to do fast takeoffs.

Toyota stopped making the Prius they have a lot of experience with hybrids they're putting that technology into lots of different vehicles.

These Hybrids can be good for city driving the Mitsubishi does about 60km on electric motor so for short trips to Woolies etc would be really good they claim about 2-3L/100Km.

The big problem with any lithium battery is they only really last 2000-3000 cycles depending on depth of discharge and best to only charge lithium to 90% if you want them to last, Chasing that last 10% of charge to 100% shortens battery life. This is the same for all lithium batteries from phones to laptops tools and even Teslas.

They will lose heaps of value on second hand market as battery is expensive to replace.

I agree with Aqua not many people will know how to fix it so having to return it to dealer will be expensive when it needs repair.

This could be good
https://lightyear.one/

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - May 28th, 2022 at 1:24am

Baronvonrort wrote on May 28th, 2022 at 12:34am:
Sprintcyclist wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 1:34pm:
not sure sprint.

The new Corolla hybrid with CVT has a proper 1st gear for getting off the mark. This change came from many CVTs breaking because people try to do fast takeoffs.

Toyota stopped making the Prius they have a lot of experience with hybrids they're putting that technology into lots of different vehicles.

These Hybrids can be good for city driving the Mitsubishi does about 60km on electric motor so for short trips to Woolies etc would be really good they claim about 2-3L/100Km.

The big problem with any lithium battery is they only really last 2000-3000 cycles depending on depth of discharge and best to only charge lithium to 90% if you want them to last, Chasing that last 10% of charge to 100% shortens battery life. This is the same for all lithium batteries from phones to laptops tools and even Teslas.

They will lose heaps of value on second hand market as battery is expensive to replace.

I agree with Aqua not many people will know how to fix it so having to return it to dealer will be expensive when it needs repair.

This could be good
https://lightyear.one/

Thanks, it is an interesting topic.
I looked at hybrid RAVs, about $40K, 2nd hand.
Think I will wait ...........

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - May 28th, 2022 at 1:27am

Baronvonrort - WOW

A solar powered car

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - May 28th, 2022 at 1:44am

Quote:
........   suggest the all-new Prado will launch – in Japan, at least – with a new 2.4-litre inline four-cylinder motor that will pair with an electric motor for added grunt and improved efficiency.

According the site, the new engine will deliver 184kW on its own. But when paired with a new 110kW electric motor, combined outputs could increase to 294kW.         ............

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/prado-goes-electric-new-2023-toyota-landcr...

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 12:51pm

Drive away, no more to pay.

Ford Streetka

1.6 Luxury 2dr
2004 (04 reg)

£2,489