Send Topic Print
transaction tax (Read 3886 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
transaction tax
Apr 28th, 2022 at 9:18pm

A transaction tax is a terrible idea because it is easily avoided. People's efforts to avoid the tax would skew the entire economy in unproductive ways. On top of that, industries with low margins or long supply chains would be curtailed or destroyed, as they would bear the brunt of the tax. This would further skew the economy in unproductive ways. On top of that, the tax would be extremely regressive, placing a far higher burden on the poor compared to the current tax regime.

Yet some people support a transaction tax with a religious fervour that defies rational explanation. John for example appears to think that his support for a transaction tax requires no thought or explanation on his part until the flaws in it can be proven to him, which is a tough ask given his refusal to think about it. How do economically illiterate people get so attached to really bad ideas?

freediver wrote on Apr 28th, 2022 at 8:24pm:
John Smith wrote on Apr 28th, 2022 at 5:36pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 27th, 2022 at 8:47pm:
Can you not think of any way people would change how they do things to avoid the tax?

that is your argument, not mine. It's up to you to show us how. So far both your examples have failed miserably

I know, maybe you can convince you know what you are talking about by saying I don't understand economics again ... so far that seems to be the main basis of your argument.

I have shown you how. I was just wondering if you are capable of thinking for yourself.

Can you think of any way people would change how they do things to avoid your transaction tax?

John Smith wrote on Apr 28th, 2022 at 9:01pm:
I have shown you how

you haven't even come close to it. I shot down your suggestions without even trying. You'll have to do better than just repeating yourself if you want to convince anyone otherwise.

freediver wrote on Apr 26th, 2022 at 8:54pm:
John Smith wrote on Apr 26th, 2022 at 7:35pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 26th, 2022 at 6:05am:
Good way to boost the cash economy Aussie

it doesn't matter if they pay cash or use electronic. Take $100 out of your account to pay your plumber, thats a TRANSACTION ... you pay a tax. Pay him electronically ... a TRANSACTION. The plumber put the cash in his account. thats ANOTHER TRANSACTION. Or he doesn't put it in his account but rather spends it at Coles. There's ANOTHER TRANSACTION

is it sinking in yet FD?

Sure, it is sinking in how slow you are. What if the plumber uses the cash to pay his hairdresser instead of putting it into his bank account and then withdrawing it again when he wants to buy something?

What if he never even opens a bank account?

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 26th, 2022 at 10:21am:
freediver wrote on Apr 25th, 2022 at 2:19pm:
Quote:
taxes are taxes, no matter how much lipstick you dress them up with

Sure. But some work, and some are incredibly stupid ideas, no matter how much lipstick you dress them up with. Guess which one yours is?

I can only provide you with the information John. I cannot force you to think for yourself.

Quote:
crap .... they cannot avoid the transaction. If anything it adds a transaction

If a group of farmers enter into a coop with the pickers, a local packer, supermarket, transport service and whoever else is involved in the supply chain, where they simply split the income from the sale of their goods, it reduces all those transactions to one.

How many times do you need me to explain it to you before you get it John?

Every dollar from the split is taxed under that regime, so no profit is made from creating a cartel ....

Have another try Grapps.

« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2022 at 9:33pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: transaction tax
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2022 at 9:18pm

freediver wrote on Apr 24th, 2022 at 5:51pm:
John Smith wrote on Apr 24th, 2022 at 12:34pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 24th, 2022 at 12:23pm:
By reducing the number of transactions, as I just explained.

So if you owed bobby, Aussie and I $100 each, you are arguing that by reducing the number of transactions from 3 to 1 you avoid the tax?  WRONG All you would do is limit the number of times you pay the tax, not the total tax paid.

A tax of 1% would incur a $1 per transaction fee for the three transactions if you paid each of us individually, or $3 in tax .......... or a $3 fee for the one transaction if you paid us as a group, The total amount paid in tax would be the same.

You really have no idea John.

When you buy something at the supermarket, it has passed through many different hands to get there. Each of them owned it, or it's components, along the way. The number of transactions required depends on the extent of vertical integration. Your proposal would skew the entire economy towards vertical integration. Not because it is better, but because it would reduce tax bills.

For some products, there are a huge number of transactions involved. They would probably disappear, or get imported in a retail-ready state. Crucially, your idea would destroy any "high tech" industries in Australia.

One of the key criteria economists use to assess taxation is the extent to which is skews the market. Your proposal is about as bad as it gets on that score. You could probably ask a bunch of primary school students to reform our tax system and they would do a better job.

John Smith wrote on Apr 23rd, 2022 at 7:47pm:
lee wrote on Apr 23rd, 2022 at 5:52pm:
Ironically the more complex the tax act the greater the opportunities to rort.

scrap it and start again. You only need one line

'x% on all transaction in country.'

problem solved.

John can you see any flaws in your system? It's OK if you did not think of them yourself, I am merely asking if you can see them yet.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2022 at 9:32pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2022 at 10:00pm

15% on money shipped offshore other than for actual procurement of goods sounds good..... maybe 20% sounds better - catch the Mehajers who ship money off to Lebanon while they ostensibly go bust, and the tax haven pirates who pay nothing.......

At least you'd get something out of the bastards....

Free Diver Enterprises, purchasing diving equipment etc, is not similarly taxed..... likewise Aquascoot Unicorn procurements is not taxed ..... send it offshore to buy this block of flat no mine is belong my uncle/cousin etc, and you pay.... get your share dividends etc paid Offshore and you pay .......  No Farken Problem!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2022 at 5:33pm

I'm not sure why you started another thread. I thought it'd be embarrassing enough for you not being able to explain how you avoid it in one thread ....

now you want to fail to explain how you avoid it in another one? knock yourself out. Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2022 at 5:38pm

ohh, and for anyone interested in FD's first attempts at explaining how they avoid the tax ... these were his first two suggestions

freediver wrote on Apr 25th, 2022 at 1:52pm:
Coops. There is not much need for them now, so there are not many of them. But your idiotic proposal would see everyone joining them to avoid tax.

Home brewing is an example of people going to zero transactions to avoid the alcohol tax. There are even clever services that allow you to do home brewing without doing the actual work. These only make sense as a tax avoidance scheme.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2022 at 5:46pm

freediver wrote on Apr 28th, 2022 at 9:18pm:
A transaction tax is a terrible idea because it is easily avoided. People's efforts to avoid the tax would skew the entire economy in unproductive ways. On top of that, industries with low margins or long supply chains would be curtailed or destroyed, as they would bear the brunt of the tax. This would further skew the economy in unproductive ways. On top of that, the tax would be extremely regressive, placing a far higher burden on the poor compared to the current tax regime.

Yet some people support a transaction tax with a religious fervour that defies rational explanation. John for example appears to think that his support for a transaction tax requires no thought or explanation on his part until the flaws in it can be proven to him, which is a tough ask given his refusal to think about it. How do economically illiterate people get so attached to really bad ideas?

John Smith wrote on Apr 28th, 2022 at 5:36pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 27th, 2022 at 8:47pm:
Can you not think of any way people would change how they do things to avoid the tax?

that is your argument, not mine. It's up to you to show us how. So far both your examples have failed miserably

I know, maybe you can convince you know what you are talking about by saying I don't understand economics again ... so far that seems to be the main basis of your argument.

I have shown you how. I was just wondering if you are capable of thinking for yourself.

Can you think of any way people would change how they do things to avoid your transaction tax?

John Smith wrote on Apr 28th, 2022 at 9:01pm:
I have shown you how

you haven't even come close to it. I shot down your suggestions without even trying. You'll have to do better than just repeating yourself if you want to convince anyone otherwise.

John Smith wrote on Apr 26th, 2022 at 7:35pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 26th, 2022 at 6:05am:
Good way to boost the cash economy Aussie

it doesn't matter if they pay cash or use electronic. Take $100 out of your account to pay your plumber, thats a TRANSACTION ... you pay a tax. Pay him electronically ... a TRANSACTION. The plumber put the cash in his account. thats ANOTHER TRANSACTION. Or he doesn't put it in his account but rather spends it at Coles. There's ANOTHER TRANSACTION

is it sinking in yet FD?

Sure, it is sinking in how slow you are. What if the plumber uses the cash to pay his hairdresser instead of putting it into his bank account and then withdrawing it again when he wants to buy something?

What if he never even opens a bank account?

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 26th, 2022 at 10:21am:
freediver wrote on Apr 25th, 2022 at 2:19pm:
Quote:
taxes are taxes, no matter how much lipstick you dress them up with

Sure. But some work, and some are incredibly stupid ideas, no matter how much lipstick you dress them up with. Guess which one yours is?

I can only provide you with the information John. I cannot force you to think for yourself.

Quote:
crap .... they cannot avoid the transaction. If anything it adds a transaction

If a group of farmers enter into a coop with the pickers, a local packer, supermarket, transport service and whoever else is involved in the supply chain, where they simply split the income from the sale of their goods, it reduces all those transactions to one.

How many times do you need me to explain it to you before you get it John?

Every dollar from the split is taxed under that regime, so no profit is made from creating a cartel ....

Have another try Grapps.

It's only a terrible idea for those who have too much money & are averse to paying tax.

If all PAYE tax was abolished on PAYE wages/salary tax payers & they paid a small tax on every transaction or on monies withdrawn from their accounts ..... there would be more money flowing throughout the community benefitting those with a bigger take home pay & the businesses they spend their money with.

Here's a basic economic theory for you Fleadriver

Money is made round to go round ......

not flat to stack.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2022 at 5:48pm

Hi FD,
why even bother arguing economics with a painter?

Smith can tell you what paint to use but that's about all.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2022 at 5:57pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 29th, 2022 at 5:48pm:
Hi FD,

Why discuss it or take any notice of your input?

You're a multi- subject all round idiot.  Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2022 at 6:16pm

Hi FD,

this painter has run various businesses successfully for over 20 yrs .... what have you done that makes you any sort of expert on economics? Or Fd for that matter?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2022 at 8:37pm

So, freed - your cartel is going 'black money'?  We'll recoup that the moment they start to spend it..... told yez - 'black money' is only one step removed from the tax cycle... even drug dealers pay taxes eventually... but someone needs to be asking how they got all those assets without ever holding a job...  many good days at the races?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2022 at 9:59pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 29th, 2022 at 8:37pm:
So, freed - your cartel is going 'black money'? 

he's not even suggesting that.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Apr 29th, 2022 at 10:11pm

John Smith wrote on Apr 29th, 2022 at 6:16pm:
Hi FD,

this painter has run various businesses successfully for over 20 yrs .... what have you done that makes you any sort of expert on economics? Or Fd for that matter?

Organising your mates to paint a few kitchens and some dunny doors
does not qualify you to guide us on economics.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #12 - Apr 29th, 2022 at 10:14pm

Bobby you should cash your assets and send the proceeds to ScoMo.

ScoMo might appoint Bobby Disinformation Minister.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Apr 29th, 2022 at 10:17pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Apr 29th, 2022 at 10:14pm:
Bobby you should cash your assets and send the proceeds to ScoMo.

ScoMo might appoint Bobby Disinformation Minister.

Who will you vote for?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 8:38am

John Smith wrote on Apr 29th, 2022 at 5:33pm:
I'm not sure why you started another thread. I thought it'd be embarrassing enough for you not being able to explain how you avoid it in one thread ....

now you want to fail to explain how you avoid it in another one? knock yourself out. Cheesy

I shouldn't need to explain. It is bleeding obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Can you see how your tax would be avoided?

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #15 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 11:58am

John can you see any flaws in your system?

freediver wrote on Apr 30th, 2022 at 8:38am:
I shouldn't need to explain. It is bleeding obvious to anyone with half a brain.

All I see is Freediver doing lees trick of thinking that asking a question that demands the other person does all the work is some sort of brilliant rebuttal.

The truth is though that we will never have a transaction tax. that would encourage people onto the cash economy which the government and big business hate.
Governments and Big Business want us all to use electronic transactions so that the data can be harvested

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 12:34pm

poor Barney still sad about  BoM. They really do change temperatures for "statistical" reasons.Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 7:56pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 29th, 2022 at 10:11pm:
John Smith wrote on Apr 29th, 2022 at 6:16pm:
Hi FD,

Organising your mates to paint a few kitchens and some dunny doors
does not qualify you to guide us on economics.

It's beyond your capabilities

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 7:57pm

?

So obvious you have struggled all week to come up with a way to avoid it  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Agnes.
Gold Member

St Agness

Reply #19 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 10:03pm

being cheeky again- no hope for you is there? dont let the extra sss's fool you - yes its me stupid- stop being an idoit!!!

Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave ~

IP Logged

0ktema
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 11:34pm

Perhaps the major issue for an effective Financial Transaction Tax to overcome, would be Vertical Integration.

The ability of businesses especially large wealthy corps to buy up and vertically integrate to the nth degree - from the production of raw materials, to refining, to manufacture, to distribution and onto retail sales etc, would have the effect of sheltering them from vast tax liabilities. Many businesses without this ability would then suffer from a crippling lack of competitiveness.       

"We Are Consciousness Itself"
- Adi Da Samraj

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - May 1st, 2022 at 2:00am

0ktema wrote on Apr 30th, 2022 at 11:34pm:
Perhaps the major issue for an effective Financial Transaction Tax to overcome, would be Vertical Integration.

The ability of businesses especially large wealthy corps to buy up and vertically integrate to the nth degree - from the production of raw materials, to refining, to manufacture, to distribution and onto retail sales etc, would have the effect of sheltering them from vast tax liabilities. Many businesses without this ability would then suffer from a crippling lack of competitiveness.       

Good point.... that's why a tax system needs to be overhauled...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - May 1st, 2022 at 2:04am

Agnes. wrote on Apr 30th, 2022 at 10:03pm:

being cheeky again- no hope for you is there? dont let the extra sss's fool you - yes its me stupid- stop being an idoit!!!

Sounds like steam escaping....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - May 1st, 2022 at 9:10am

The formation of the ACCC based on the recommendations of the Hilmer Report  (plagiarised from the US) on competition policy
has hardly seen this adequately monitored.

Verticle Integration & monopoly is the dream achievement of most corporations .... the trouble is that most of it still happening in Australia is by foreign companies or foreign state owned companies(CCP).

Even Brazillians have got in on the act with JBS meat processors.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - May 1st, 2022 at 10:42am

Agnes. wrote on Apr 30th, 2022 at 10:03pm:

WTF? stay off the drugs

by the way, if you want to call someone an idiot, it's best you don't make an idiot of yourself in the process.

it's spelt  IDIOT,  ya idiot Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - May 1st, 2022 at 10:48am

no it's not. If you buy the farm, mill the corn, make the flour, market the end product then there are still transactions at every step of the way. It's not like coles isn't going to pay the farmer, rent, the truck drivers, the miller, the storemen, the forklift drivers, the board of directors, the shareholders etc etc. EVERY transaction incurs a tax. Thats why its called a transaction tax

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

0ktema
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - May 1st, 2022 at 12:34pm

John Smith wrote on May 1st, 2022 at 10:48am:

no it's not. If you buy the farm, mill the corn, make the flour, market the end product then there are still transactions at every step of the way. It's not like coles isn't going to pay the farmer, rent, the truck drivers, the miller, the storemen, the forklift drivers, the board of directors, the shareholders etc etc. EVERY transaction incurs a tax. Thats why its called a transaction tax

Sure, but can you imagine the resources and expertise that large corps would throw towards creative integration and accounting practices and how that would effect the viability of smaller less integrated outfits. Without strong and most likely very complex legislation, large monopolies would steamroll the competition.

I wish it could work, I really do, however I don't have much faith in legislators being up to the task.

Undoubtedly and no matter what, we need significant campaign financing and media ownership reform, else the powerful will continue to be warp legislative processes in their favor .    

- Adi Da Samraj

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - May 1st, 2022 at 1:46pm

0ktema wrote on May 1st, 2022 at 12:34pm:
Sure, but can you imagine the resources and expertise that large corps would throw towards creative integration and accounting practices and how that would effect the viability of smaller less integrated outfits.

no. No matter how creative their accounting gets, they have to pay each and every person at each and every stage of the process, and they have to receive payment in exchange. There is no avoiding it.

and lets not pretend that big corporations avoiding tax have no effect on smaller outfits under our current system.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

0ktema
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - May 1st, 2022 at 3:01pm

John Smith wrote on May 1st, 2022 at 1:46pm:
0ktema wrote on May 1st, 2022 at 12:34pm:
Sure, but can you imagine the resources and expertise that large corps would throw towards creative integration and accounting practices and how that would effect the viability of smaller less integrated outfits.

no. No matter how creative their accounting gets, they have to pay each and every person at each and every stage of the process, and they have to receive payment in exchange. There is no avoiding it.

and lets not pretend that big corporations avoiding tax have no effect on smaller outfits, under our current system.

Yes, I agree that corporations often have very unfair advantages over smaller outfits, under our current system. And there's no denying, that they would have to pay transaction tax on wages and salaries etc.

However being one big company, they could avoid transactions that often occur in a step by step fashion between various companies or other separate entities. Such as sale of goods, materials or services. As an example, those that occur from farmer to distributor, to miller to distributor, to manufacturer to distributor and onto retail sales.

Separate entities trying to survive outside of this vertical integration would be impacted with taxation costs added upon every necessary step involved in the process. The greater the number of preceding steps the less competitive an entity would become. Corporations would no doubt take more and more steps in house and strangle the competition.

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2022 at 3:11pm by 0ktema »  

- Adi Da Samraj

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #29 - May 1st, 2022 at 4:47pm

Hi FD,

And Gaylord can serve a mean cup of tea but that is the end of his talents.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #30 - May 1st, 2022 at 5:07pm

Jovial Monk wrote on May 1st, 2022 at 4:47pm:
Hi FD,

And Gaylord can serve a mean cup of tea but that is the end of his talents.

And here is Monk's mate:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - May 1st, 2022 at 5:13pm

0ktema wrote on May 1st, 2022 at 3:01pm:
Such as sale of goods, materials or services. As an example, those that occur from farmer to distributor, to miller to distributor, to manufacturer to distributor and onto retail sales.

if they're the same company there is no sale. and? all you are doing is going from a farmer and a distributor pretending they aren't making a loss, to one company paying tax at each and every step of the process. There will be VERY FEW companies to will be able to go to those extremes and tightening up of anti competition laws can stop most of those.

But hows that different from avoiding tax by setting up a pretend office in a tax free haven who then give out pretend loans to their offices in other countries?

The only reason big business and the rich argue against a transaction tax is because the end result will be that those who do more transactions (big business) will pay more tax. If they thought they would pay less tax all the multinationals would be arguing for it ... and FD would be right there with them like the nodding head he is

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - May 1st, 2022 at 5:19pm

. Such as sale of goods, materials or services. As an example, those that occur from farmer to distributor, to miller to distributor, to manufacturer to distributor and onto retail sales.

and at every step of each of those processes, they pay tax along the way. With or without sales to and from each other. They HAVE to have someone run the farm. HE HAS to buy seed to sow, or feed for the animals, pay vets or buy and maintain machinery, buy pesticides or any of the other million transactions that take place in the running of a farm ... and each of those transaction will incur a transaction tax. Even if the farmer doesn't then sell the product to the distributor, but gifts it to themselves as the next step in the process, they have already paid taxes through a large number of transactions. The same will apply to the miller, the distributor, the the stores etc etc etc.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

0ktema
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - May 1st, 2022 at 9:20pm

John Smith wrote on May 1st, 2022 at 5:13pm:
Such as sale of goods, materials or services. As an example, those that occur from farmer to distributor, to miller to distributor, to manufacturer to distributor and onto retail sales.

if they're the same company there is no sale. and? all you are doing is going from a farmer and a distributor pretending they aren't making a loss, to one company paying tax at each and every step of the process. There will be VERY FEW companies to will be able to go to those extremes and tightening up of anti competition laws can stop most of those.

But hows that different from avoiding tax by setting up a pretend office in a tax free haven who then give out pretend loans to their offices in other countries?

The only reason big business and the rich argue against a transaction tax is because the end result will be that those who do more transactions (big business) will pay more tax. If they thought they would pay less tax all the multinationals would be arguing for it ... and FD would be right there with them like the nodding head he is

You could be right about the anti-competition laws, however we would need a well funded ACCC to enforce them.

Upon briefly looking at countries that currently apply an FTT, they seem to concentrate their focus on the financial sector.   

Here in Australia the Citizens Party propose a 0.1 percent tax on financial speculation. Quote:
Tax $1 in every $1,000 of turnover in stocks, bonds, currency exchange transactions, and both exchange-traded and over-the-counter derivatives. This would be a tiny charge on retirees selling long-term share investments, but a heavy burden on high-frequency traders and derivatives gamblers.

* When considering %levels and where or not it should be applied, can you point to your preferred model of FTT ?

- Adi Da Samraj

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - May 2nd, 2022 at 12:36pm

0ktema wrote on May 1st, 2022 at 9:20pm:
* When considering %levels and where or not it should be applied, can you point to your preferred model of FTT ?

as to where it should be applied ... everywhere. But scrap all other taxes.

as to percentage levels, you'd need to work out what govt. needs to provide all it's services versus approx. number of transactions expected and then then work from there. Far to complicated for me to try and guess what the figure should be.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #35 - May 2nd, 2022 at 8:57pm

John Smith wrote on Apr 30th, 2022 at 7:57pm:

?

So obvious you have struggled all week to come up with a way to avoid it  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Gnads wrote on May 1st, 2022 at 9:10am:

The formation of the ACCC based on the recommendations of the Hilmer Report  (plagiarised from the US) on competition policy
has hardly seen this adequately monitored.

Verticle Integration & monopoly is the dream achievement of most corporations .... the trouble is that most of it still happening in Australia is by foreign companies or foreign state owned companies(CCP).

Even Brazillians have got in on the act with JBS meat processors.

Vertical integration is the opposite of seeking monopoly. Unless their plan is to expand in every direction and take over the world.

John Smith wrote on May 1st, 2022 at 10:48am:

Except you aren't buying the corn from the mill, and the mill is not buying the corn from the farmer. And yes, that is exactly what vertical integration means. Obviously they avoid doing it these days, but if given a massive tax incentive, they would leap back into it.

Quote:

They only have to do it once John. Under the current system, there are several transactions along the way. I am not sure why you still struggle with the concept. Let me try to dumb it down for you.

Without a transaction tax: You pay for the corn bread, the supermarket pays the mill, the mill pays it's employees.

With a transaction tax: You pay for the corn bread, the supermarket pays the mill employees directly. If they were creative enough with the accounting, you would pay the employees directly, bringing it down to one transaction. If they were even more creative, they might discover that the mill employee pays you to cut his hair, so they could cut it back to zero transactions.

Can you see the difference yet John, or do you need us to draw you a picture?

Quote:
and lets not pretend that big corporations avoiding tax have no effect on smaller outfits under our current system.

Discarding it in favour of one that is 100 times worse is not going to solve anything John. If you cannot understand how vertical integration would reduce the number of transactions, you have no hope of making a reasoned judgement on which system is best. That you cannot see how this would harm the poor and the smaller businesses in favour of the rich and the big businesses just shows how myopic you are.

Quote:
if they're the same company there is no sale. and? all you are doing is going from a farmer and a distributor pretending they aren't making a loss

Try to keep up John. They are reducing the number of transactions. They are avoiding the tax. You would make it very easy for them to do this, and wipe out smaller competitors in the process.

Quote:
There will be VERY FEW companies to will be able to go to those extremes and tightening up of anti competition laws can stop most of those.

Indeed, it will favour big business over small business.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2022 at 9:20pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #36 - May 2nd, 2022 at 9:23pm

Quote:

Not sure why you haven't thought of this John, but large companies would avoid your idiotic transaction tax by moving most of their transactions overseas.

Quote:
The only reason big business and the rich argue against a transaction tax is because the end result will be that those who do more transactions (big business) will pay more tax.

They would benefit more likely, except to the extent it undermines the entire economy.

Quote:
If they thought they would pay less tax all the multinationals would be arguing for it

Not if they want to avoid avoid looking like complete morons. Also, it would not help them to vertically integrate to take advantage of your idiotic tax, then de-integrate when people finally realised what a stupid idea the tax is.

Quote:
and at every step of each of those processes, they pay tax along the way. With or without sales to and from each other. They HAVE to have someone run the farm. HE HAS to buy seed to sow, or feed for the animals, pay vets or buy and maintain machinery, buy pesticides or any of the other million transactions that take place in the running of a farm ... and each of those transaction will incur a transaction tax. Even if the farmer doesn't then sell the product to the distributor, but gifts it to themselves as the next step in the process, they have already paid taxes through a large number of transactions. The same will apply to the miller, the distributor, the the stores etc etc etc.

One more time for the really slow: at the moment this is done with far more transactions. The money that gets paid to the vet passes through many hands along the way, getting taxed each time. Bigger businesses that can vertically integrate would avoid all that tax. Not so the smaller businesses.

In your very first response on this topic, you explained this concept yourself John.

Quote:
as to where it should be applied ... everywhere. But scrap all other taxes.

You cannot make up for a really stupid idea by going big on it.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - May 3rd, 2022 at 1:39pm

Quote: Fleadriver Quote:
Vertical integration is the opposite of seeking monopoly. Unless their plan is to expand in every direction and take over the world.

Rubbish - QLD Rail was a vertically integrated Rail Company ..... they owned every Rail asset from below rail to above rail across the whole state.

Buildings & administration & control.

They owned all the locomotives & rollingstock for freight and passenger services.

They were the only rail company so they had the monopoly on everything to do with rail operations in this state.

The Hilmer Report & subsequent Competition policy put paid to that.

But one of the 3rd party operators who came in in  2005 now has the majority of all container freight in QLD and on the east coast of Australia.

Those with the most money end up with majorities or monopolies because the ACCC isn't worth 2 bob.

IP Logged

Jake Winker Frogen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth WA
Reply #38 - May 3rd, 2022 at 1:41pm

There are only two ways to avoid tax.

Do not make any money or make so much you can avoid paying tax.

Cheese is Guud Eaten.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - May 3rd, 2022 at 7:04pm

freediver wrote on May 2nd, 2022 at 8:57pm:

no, I'm still waiting for you to show me. I know you think parroting vertical integration is doing something, but so far all it's doing is failing for you

freediver wrote on May 2nd, 2022 at 9:23pm:
Not sure why you haven't thought of this John, but large companies would avoid your idiotic transaction tax by moving most of their transactions overseas.

and incur the tax in the process.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - May 3rd, 2022 at 7:09pm

They would benefit more likely, except to the extent it undermines the entire economy.

of course ... thats why they're all calling for it ehh FD.  Cheesy Cheesy

Not if they want to avoid avoid looking like complete morons

so they're not like you ?

at the moment this is done with far more transactions.

and less tax

The money that gets paid to the vet passes through many hands along the way, getting taxed each time

and it'll continue to pass through many transactions along the way ... getting taxed each time .

Bigger businesses that can vertically integrate would avoid all that tax

crap ... you keep saying it, but no one believes you

You cannot make up for a really stupid idea by going big on it.

didn't stop you ...have you seen the stupidity on your home page?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - May 3rd, 2022 at 7:13pm

You pay for the corn bread, the supermarket pays the mill, the mill pays it's employees.

YEAH ... cause the only transaction in mills are wages  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy and you pretend to understand economics  Grin Grin

f they were even more creative, they might discover that the mill employee pays you to cut his hair, so they could cut it back to zero transactions.

only if you're a moron FD

If you cannot understand how vertical integration would reduce the number of transactions, you have no hope of making a reasoned judgement on which system is best

I don't particularly care about any reduction in the total number of transactions, I care that everyone pays their share of tax.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #42 - May 3rd, 2022 at 9:35pm

John Smith wrote on May 3rd, 2022 at 7:09pm:
The money that gets paid to the vet passes through many hands along the way, getting taxed each time

and it'll continue to pass through many transactions along the way ... getting taxed each time .

Bigger businesses that can vertically integrate would avoid all that tax

crap ... you keep saying it, but no one believes you

I really cannot tell whether you are just pretending to be an idiot John. Under one scenario, the money for the vet bill goes from the end consumer to the supermarket, to the mill, to the farmer, to the vet, getting taxed again and again each time. With vertical integration it goes direct from the supermarket to the vet. Tax avoided, but only by the biggest companies. One scenario has many transactions, and one has very few - and the difference is really only limited by how creative you can get with the accounting.

With more complex industrial processes with dozens of different companies along the supply chain, they would either immediately go bankrupt or be forced to completely change the way they do business.

Why would you complain about big businesses avoiding tax, then try to replace our tax system with one that actually helps them avoid tax and kill off smaller businesses in the process?
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2022 at 9:41pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - May 4th, 2022 at 6:24pm

freediver wrote on May 3rd, 2022 at 9:35pm:
With vertical integration it goes direct from the supermarket to the vet.

crap. You need to move out of Narnia and into reality. Anytime there is an exchange of goods, services or money, there is a transaction. It doesn't matter if you want to call all the service providers by the one name or not.

and the difference is really only limited by how creative you can get with the accounting.

you can be as creative as you like, I prefer reality. Perhaps that is the problem, you should be making your case at play centers and leave the forums for the adults.

Why would you complain about big businesses avoiding tax, then try to replace our tax system with one that actually helps them avoid tax and kill off smaller businesses in the process?

you know you repeatedly claiming that it helps them avoid tax doesn't make it so, right? No matter how often you repeat it.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #44 - May 5th, 2022 at 6:00pm

John Smith wrote on May 4th, 2022 at 6:24pm:

crap. You need to move out of Narnia and into reality. Anytime there is an exchange of goods, services or money, there is a transaction. It doesn't matter if you want to call all the service providers by the one name or not.

Why do you think the supermarket chain cannot also own the farm and mill, and pay the farm vet bill directly? Do you think they would be as silly as you and move the money from one of their own bank accounts to another, then another, then another, until it gets to one earmarked for vet bills, incurring a transaction tax each time?

Everyone else here understands why your transaction tax idea is so stupid. Except you.  You are the one who cries the loudest about big corporations, yet for some reason you blindly push a tax regime that would allow the biggest companies to crush their competitors by avoiding taxes in a way that smaller businesses cannot. It is a classic example of how tax policies dreamt up by the economically illiterate often have the exact opposite outcome to what was intended.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - May 5th, 2022 at 7:24pm

freediver wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 6:00pm:
Why do you think the supermarket chain cannot also own the farm and mill, and pay the farm vet bill directly?

who said they can't?

Do you think they would be as silly as you and move the money from one of their own bank accounts to another, then another, then another, until it gets to one earmarked for vet bills, incurring a transaction tax each time?

no, I think that in Narnia everyone will work for free on the basis that they will eventually be paid for their services as part of a lump sum payment just because their bosses want to limit transactions  Roll Eyes

Everyone else here understands why your transaction tax idea is so stupid.

actually you're the only one arguing that it is ... you ever wonder why? Cheesy

You are the one who cries the loudest about big corporations,

do I? Evidence?

It is a classic example of how tax policies dreamt up by the economically illiterate often have the exact opposite outcome to what was intended.

you mean like policy where companies that make billions pay zero tax? Perhaps those economic illiterates went to the same economics classes you did?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #46 - May 5th, 2022 at 7:40pm

John,
give up - you're just digging a deeper and deeper hole for yourself.
A transaction tax would double or even triple the price of everything.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - May 5th, 2022 at 7:42pm

Bobby. wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 7:40pm:
John,

haven't you a glory hole to go and visit?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #48 - May 5th, 2022 at 8:18pm

John Smith wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 7:24pm:
Why do you think the supermarket chain cannot also own the farm and mill, and pay the farm vet bill directly?

who said they can't?

You did. Hence the quote.

crap.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - May 5th, 2022 at 8:21pm

freediver wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 8:18pm:
You did.

keep lying FD.

This is now 4 pages and you've failed to show any substantive evidence for your claims, instead opting to repeating some vague comment about vertical integration whilst ignoring reality

You are out of your depth.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #50 - May 5th, 2022 at 8:23pm

crap. 

Why is it crap John?

Quote:
This is now 4 pages and you've failed to show any substantive evidence for your claims

Sure I have. Everyone else is convinced why your idiotic idea is so idiotic. You are the only one who here who does not understand.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - May 5th, 2022 at 8:30pm

freediver wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 8:23pm:
Sure I have.

you've done no such thing. No matter how many pats you give yourself. Repeating the words 'vertical integration' over and over does not make much of an argument. It's almost like you think that if you repeat it often enough, I'll eventually get sick of it and you won't have to try and get into any more detail. (
EDIT: ohh, I almost forgt, your only attempt at detail was home brew and co-ops  Grin Grin Grin Grin
) Which is perfectly understandable given that you are unable to get into any detail. Fake it ill you make it ehh FD.

You are the only one who here who does not understand.

So you think that because i'm the only one here who bothers with your stupidity, that must mean that everyone else agrees with you?  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  Have you been snorting Lisa's drugs?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - May 5th, 2022 at 8:30pm

Why is it crap John?

this is crap FD

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #53 - May 5th, 2022 at 8:33pm

John Smith wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 8:30pm:
Why is it crap John?

this is crap FD

Baby steps John. Now, why is it crap?

Quote:
So you think that because i'm the only one here who bothers with your stupidity, that must mean that everyone else agrees with you?

Everyone agrees with me that your idea is stupid, because it is stupid.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - May 5th, 2022 at 8:35pm

freediver wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 8:33pm:
Why is it crap John?

this is crap FD

so there's no farmer involved? No transport? No medication? No farm? no vets office? and I haven't even begun to get into detail

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #55 - May 5th, 2022 at 8:39pm

John Smith wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 8:35pm:
freediver wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 8:33pm:
Why is it crap John?

this is crap FD

so there's no farmer involved? No transport? No medication? No farm? no vets office? and I haven't even begun to get into detail

Yes, they are all involved John. I did not say otherwise. I am not sure why this is so confusing for you.

Try reading it real slow. With vertical integration, the supermarket pays the vet bill directly. They avoid a lot of the transaction taxes, because the money does not get transferred from the supermarket to the mill and from the mill to the farmer in between.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #56 - May 5th, 2022 at 8:49pm

Freediver

An observation.

This is very cringeworthy to watch. It's tantamount to watching a slow train wreck.

It's clear John doesn't understand what you're saying. This is material we covered at Uni. John hasn't even finished high school. 

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - May 5th, 2022 at 8:57pm

freediver wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 8:39pm:
Yes, they are all involved John. I did not say otherwise. I am not sure why this is so confusing for you.

sure you did. You said that you would get from supermarket to vet with one transaction. How does ONE transaction account for all those people FD?

With vertical integration, the supermarket pays the vet bill directly

I don't give a crap who pays the bill. freediver wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 8:39pm:
They avoid a lot of the transaction taxes, because the money does not get transferred from the supermarket to the mill and from the mill to the farmer in between.

Crap. They are still captured in thousands of  transactions regardless of whose name they operate under. If FD's corner store buys meat from a wholesaler it's one transaction. If coles has to run a farm, trucks, an abattoir, butchers, distributors etc etc, they pay tax on each and every transaction involved in running of those processes.

They avoid far less taxes than they do now buy creating fake loans in tax free havens which they then spend the next 20 years repaying and not paying any tax any income.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #58 - May 5th, 2022 at 8:58pm

Lisa Jones wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 8:49pm:
Freediver

An observation.

This is very cringeworthy to watch. It's tantamount to watching a slow train wreck.

It's clear John doesn't understand what you're saying. This is material we covered at Uni. John hasn't even finished high school. 

John is a house painter not an economist.   Grin

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #59 - May 5th, 2022 at 9:03pm

John Smith wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 8:57pm:

sure you did. You said that you would get from supermarket to vet with one transaction. How does ONE transaction account for all those people FD?

It doesn't John. I never claimed it did. What is it you are struggling to understand John? Why can't the supermarket just pay the vet based on the work the vet does?

Quote:
Crap. They are still captured in thousands of  transactions regardless of whose name they operate under.

You are confused John. The tax revenue simply disappears when the company vertically integrates. The mill does not get paid for the value of the product it buys. The farmer does not get paid for the value of all his expenses. The money for the vets goes directly from the supermarket to the vet, instead of through all those other bank accounts. The mill employees get paid directly by the supermarket instead of the mill, but that is far less money than paying the mill owner to cover the cost of wages, farm produce, other expenses, profit etc.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2022 at 9:10pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #60 - May 5th, 2022 at 9:04pm

John,

John Smith:

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #61 - May 5th, 2022 at 9:04pm

I've not followed this topic (it's difficult watching John struggling to grasp simple concepts because he's never finished school) but I'll SIMPLY state this (1st year Economics at Uni being brought up here lol) :

A transaction tax can be very dangerous for an economy because it can be avoided by firms who restructure themselves along vertical integration arrangements. Over time these entities are recognised as stand alone institutions and monopolies. Bottom line? They kill competition.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - May 5th, 2022 at 9:10pm

freediver wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 9:03pm:
It doesn't John. I never claimed it did

sure you did

Under one scenario, the money for the vet bill goes from the end consumer to the supermarket, to the mill, to the farmer, to the vet, getting taxed again and again each time. With vertical integration it goes direct from the supermarket to the vet. Tax avoided

freediver wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 9:03pm:
Why can't the supermarket just pay the vet based on the work the vet does?

You were arguing that there are no other transactions because the company has vertically integrated. Even if it vertically integrates, there are hundreds of thousands of transactions the company does to get from the live animal to the meat in your shrink wrapped packaging on the supermarket shelf.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - May 5th, 2022 at 9:10pm

Bobby. wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 9:04pm:
John,

shut up stupid

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #64 - May 5th, 2022 at 9:15pm

John Smith wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 9:10pm:
John,

shut up stupid

John... right now you are the one who is being stupid. Freediver has explained vertical integration to you over and over again. I myself have explained it.

Pages and pages of explanations have been given to you. Why can't you understand it?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #65 - May 5th, 2022 at 9:17pm

Lisa Jones wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 9:15pm:
John,

shut up stupid

John... right now you are the one who is being stupid. Freediver has explained vertical integration to you over and over again. I myself have explained it.

Pages and pages of explanations have been given to you. Why can't you understand it?

Because he's not playing with a full deck.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #66 - May 5th, 2022 at 9:18pm

You were arguing that there are no other transactions because the company has vertically integrated.

No I wasn't John. Try reading what I actually posted.

The tax on the money for the vet bill that would otherwise have transferred into the mill bank account, then the farmer bank account, is avoided.

This does not mean the mill or the farmer is not accounted for John.

The tax revenue simply disappears when the company vertically integrates. The mill does not get paid for the value of the product it buys. The farmer does not get paid for the value of all his expenses. The money for the vet goes directly from the supermarket to the vet, instead of through all those other bank accounts. The mill employees get paid directly by the supermarket instead of the mill, but that is far less money than paying the mill owner to cover the cost of wages, farm produce, other expenses, profit etc.

Let me spell it out for the really stupid people:

Not vertically integrated: Supermarket pays $100 to the mill, who pays $50 to the farmer, who pays $20 to the vet. $170 in transactions.

Vertically integrated: The supermarket pays the vet $20, the farmer $25, and the mill employees $40. $85 in transactions. So half the tax bill, compared to small businesses operating independently.

Do you see how your idiotic idea favours big business over small business by helping them avoid tax?

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #67 - May 5th, 2022 at 9:24pm

We're nervously crossing our fingers here ...will the penny drop now?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - May 6th, 2022 at 5:55pm

freediver wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 9:18pm:
The tax revenue simply disappears when the company vertically integrates

as opposed to it disappearing when it moves to an offshore tax haven?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The mill employees get paid directly by the supermarket instead of the mill, but that is far less money than paying the mill owner to cover the cost of wages, farm produce, other expenses, profit etc.

instead its the supermarket paying the wages, farm produce, other expenses etc., all of which they would have to pay a transaction tax on. It's only ONE transaction that might be avoided and I doubt their savings in tax will offset the extra tax collected with every other transaction they have to pay. Even then, anto competition laws could be tightened to restrict vertical integration

According to the ATO a
third
of all Australia's registered companies paid NO TAX. Why don't you apply the same standard to our current method which allows them to do that,  that you do a transaction tax? They include Lendlease, Bosh and Chevron. How many combined transaction do you think they had over the last year that could have collected tax for us? Do you think those 3 would account for billions of transactions? I'd say billions would be the minimum number of transactions from those 3 alone. Are you worried your argument will fall flat on your face if you applied the same standard to our current system that you do TT?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - May 6th, 2022 at 5:56pm

Not vertically integrated: Supermarket pays $100 to the mill, who pays $50 to the farmer, who pays $20 to the vet. $170 in transactions.

Vertically integrated: The supermarket pays the vet $20, the farmer $25, and the mill employees $40. $85 in transactions. So half the tax bill, compared to small businesses operating independently.

crap

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #70 - May 6th, 2022 at 7:25pm

Quote:
According to the ATO a third of all Australia's registered companies paid NO TAX.

Crap.

John Smith wrote on May 6th, 2022 at 5:56pm:

crap

What is it you do not understand John?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - May 6th, 2022 at 7:42pm

freediver wrote on May 6th, 2022 at 7:25pm:
Crap.

yes, you are

Quote:
One-third of large companies in Australia still don’t pay any tax despite a taxation office crackdown on the big end of town that has been under way for five years.

Transparency data released by the Australian Taxation Office on Friday shows 782 out of 2,370 of Australia’s biggest companies paid no tax in the 2019-20 financial year, mostly because they made a loss or claimed credits against losses run-up in previous years.

The 33% rate is up slightly from last year’s 32% but down from 36% in 2015 – the year before the ATO set up a big business tax avoidance taskforce.

freediver wrote on May 6th, 2022 at 7:25pm:
What is it you do not understand John?

your claims are deal with fantasy whist ignoring reality

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #72 - May 6th, 2022 at 7:59pm

crap

Use your big boy words John. What is it you are still struggling with, after 5 pages?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - May 6th, 2022 at 8:02pm

freediver wrote on May 6th, 2022 at 7:59pm:

crap

Use your big boy words John. What is it you are still struggling with, after 5 pages?

You making up numbers pretending they mean something is crap FD. You'll need to do better than that

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #74 - May 6th, 2022 at 8:18pm

John Smith wrote on May 6th, 2022 at 8:02pm:
freediver wrote on May 6th, 2022 at 7:59pm:

crap

You making up numbers pretending they mean something is crap FD. You'll need to do better than that

It seems so. You are impervious to logic.

Do you think companies would reduce their tax bill under your idiotic transaction tax idea by vertically integrating, or achieving something equivalent with creative accounting?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #75 - May 6th, 2022 at 9:01pm

freediver wrote on May 6th, 2022 at 8:18pm:
You are impervious to logic.

Why don't you try something new and use some logic. Then we can see if I'm impervious or not

freediver wrote on May 6th, 2022 at 8:18pm:
Do you think companies would reduce their tax bill under your idiotic transaction tax idea by vertically integrating, or achieving something equivalent with creative accounting?

Do you think companies don't reduce their tax bills under our current system?

You're a typical neoliberal ... one rule for your cockamamie schemes and another for anything else.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #76 - May 6th, 2022 at 9:38pm

That's not an answer John.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - May 7th, 2022 at 10:27am

freediver wrote on May 6th, 2022 at 9:38pm:

not the answer you want maybe.  Cheesy Cheesy

Do you think companies would reduce their tax bill under your idiotic transaction tax idea by vertically integrating,

No

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #78 - May 7th, 2022 at 10:34am

What about by achieving something equivalent with creative accounting?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - May 7th, 2022 at 2:25pm

freediver wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 10:34am:
What about by achieving something equivalent with creative accounting?

no

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #80 - May 7th, 2022 at 2:50pm

Indeed.

Now Richard Denniss says we should all pay higher taxes, including the rich.

Bill Mitchell has a better idea: authorizing the public sector (govt. with its own treasury and reserve bank)  to spend money into existence, with the balance between private and public sector activity to be determined by the electorate (thereby eliminating  the so-called 'reserve bank independence' fraud). 

Meanwhile  your idea to fund sufficient public spending to house everyone, and pay decent wages to sufficient age-care workers  is....? 

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2022 at 3:11pm by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #81 - May 7th, 2022 at 2:51pm

John Smith wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 10:27am:

Do you think companies would reduce their tax bill under your idiotic transaction tax idea by vertically integrating,

No

Do you think they would have no incentive to do so?

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #82 - May 7th, 2022 at 3:09pm

freediver wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 2:51pm:

Probably as much 'incentive' as you have, to reply to post #80....

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #83 - May 7th, 2022 at 3:19pm

That's OK. I would not expect a communist stooge to understand incentives.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #84 - May 7th, 2022 at 3:28pm

freediver wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 3:19pm:
That's OK. I would not expect a communist stooge to understand incentives.

and you understand economics? ROTFL.

You are good at saying why tax is bad, but have no idea how to fund vital public policy.

Stand exposed as an ideological ("incentive") fraud, until you address the issues raised in #80.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #85 - May 7th, 2022 at 3:37pm

Quote:
You are good at saying why tax is bad

Can you quote me?

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #86 - May 7th, 2022 at 3:46pm

freediver wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 3:37pm:
Quote:

Can you quote me?

No, but show me where you have supported raising sufficient   taxes  to  fund necessary  public housing,   and pay decent age-care wages etc. 

If you can do that, I will publicly withdraw my contention you are a tax ideology fraud. 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #87 - May 7th, 2022 at 4:23pm

thegreatdivide wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 3:46pm:
Quote:

Can you quote me?

No, but show me where you have supported raising sufficient   taxes  to  fund necessary  public housing,   and pay decent age-care wages etc. 

If you can do that, I will publicly withdraw my contention you are a tax ideology fraud. 

So you know I am good at something, even though you haven't seen me do it?

Is this like how the CCP is good at equally distributing food to the Chinese people?

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #88 - May 7th, 2022 at 5:29pm

freediver wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 4:23pm:
Quote:

Can you quote me?

I gave you the chance to state your view on taxes:  are they "good", or "bad", or "necessary"?

But you are unable to obtain my withdrawal of my charge of you being an ideological fraud, by simply showing us where you have ever supported taxes.

Quote:
Is this like how the CCP is good at equally distributing food to the Chinese people?

That's a diversion.....since you don't have the integrity to debate the issue at hand ie taxation; but the CCP has achieved food security for the nation.
As to managing food distribution a covid-forced lock-down, that is another question. 

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - May 7th, 2022 at 5:58pm

No

no more so than they have under any system

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #90 - May 7th, 2022 at 6:00pm

thegreatdivide wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 3:28pm:
You are good at saying why tax is bad,

You give him far to much credit.

So far the best way he could come up to avoid TT is by the use of 'co-ops' or home brews'  Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #91 - May 7th, 2022 at 6:11pm

John Smith wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 5:58pm:

No

Even though it would reduce the total tax bill?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #92 - May 7th, 2022 at 6:46pm

freediver wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 6:11pm:

No

Will it? How did you come to that conclusion?  Another Narnia moment? Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #93 - May 7th, 2022 at 8:35pm

John Smith wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 6:46pm:
freediver wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 6:11pm:

No

Will it? How did you come to that conclusion?  Another Narnia moment? Cheesy Cheesy

Yes it will John. I come to that conclusion by not being a complete moron.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #94 - May 7th, 2022 at 8:58pm

freediver wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 8:35pm:
I come to that conclusion by not being a complete moron.

In that case you've failed miserably

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #95 - May 7th, 2022 at 9:02pm

If coles and it's suppliers all become one company, what happens to the taxes that would otherwise have been paid on the payments between them?

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #96 - May 7th, 2022 at 10:37pm

Quote:

Can you quote me?

OMG!!! I needed a good laugh. This topic is better than watching Foxtel's Comedy Channel 😂🤣😆

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #97 - May 7th, 2022 at 10:39pm

freediver wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 9:02pm:
If coles and it's suppliers all become one company, what happens to the taxes that would otherwise have been paid on the payments between them?

Dear God Freediver! In the last 48 hrs I've given John Smith a few hints ... now you're giving him the actual answers? 😮

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #98 - May 7th, 2022 at 10:45pm

thegreatdivide wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 5:29pm:
Quote:

Can you quote me?

I gave you the chance to state your view on taxes:  are they "good", or "bad", or "necessary"?

But you are unable to obtain my withdrawal of my charge of you being an ideological fraud, by simply showing us where you have ever supported taxes.

Quote:

That's a diversion.....since you don't have the integrity to debate the issue at hand ie taxation; but the CCP has achieved food security for the nation.
As to managing food distribution a covid-forced lock-down, that is another question. 

Oh God ....not you again 😐

This topic is specifically discussing Transaction Tax. The hint should have been apparent in the topic title.

Yet you barge in here hoping to hijack the topic and turn it into some generalised waffle about whether taxes are a good idea or not.

Start your own freaking topic.

Meantime we're discussing Transaction Tax in here.

Oh and accusing those around you (who are not interested in playing along in your hijack efforts) as frauds who can't/won't debate ... makes YOU look like a serious dick.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2022 at 10:53pm by Lisa Jones »  

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #99 - May 7th, 2022 at 11:57pm

Lisa Jones wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 10:45pm:
Oh God ....not you again 😐

This topic is specifically discussing Transaction Tax. The hint should have been apparent in the topic title.

And freediver  is saying "no" , without offering any alternative taxation  proposals.

Quote:
Yet you barge in here hoping to hijack the topic and turn it into some generalised waffle about whether taxes are a good idea or not.

You certainly haven't sufficient knowledge to offer anything meaningful on the topic.
Hence the RW mantra: reduce government spending, lower taxes, and balanced budgets. 

Quote:
Start your own freaking topic.

You have to be able to offer alternatives, if you reject the transaction tax, Mrs Thatcher.   

Quote:
Meantime we're discussing Transaction Tax in here.

And if you reject it, you need to come up with an alternative. 

Quote:
Oh and accusing those around you (who are not interested in playing along in your hijack efforts) as frauds who can't/won't debate ... makes YOU look like a serious dick.

Freediver is fraudulent by his own admission; see the 'privatization' thread post #24 ....in which he admits high-jacking the MMT thread 'FTW'.

https://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1649572754/15

Not surprised to see you backing a self-confessed fraud....
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2022 at 12:06am by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #100 - May 8th, 2022 at 8:47am

what taxes would have otherwise been paid on payments between them FD?  Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #101 - May 8th, 2022 at 9:07am

John Smith wrote on May 8th, 2022 at 8:47am:

Your idiotic transaction tax.

IP Logged

0ktema
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #102 - May 8th, 2022 at 9:50am

Yep, the transaction tax, the very tax that you have been spruiking would be avoided.

Big corporates would be incentivized to do all that they can to vertically integrate and internalize costs. They would also be incentivized to use their monetary power to influence government legislation in their financial favor, (as is the general practice). They would be incentivized to buy up seed companies, fertilizer companies, chemical companies -  all necessary inputs would be targeted over time. An unfettered transaction tax would drive complete monopolization of markets.

For a transaction tax to raise enough revenue to allow all other taxes to be dropped, incentivization toward monopolization could not be avoided.  Countries around the world that currently embrace a transaction tax, tend to focus it solely on the financial sector and even that can be tricky.  

- Adi Da Samraj

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #103 - May 8th, 2022 at 12:14pm

freediver wrote on May 8th, 2022 at 9:07am:

Again, I've already told you that I don't believe they would all become one company so there are no taxes that would have otherwise been paid.

Like I said, you need to step into reality and leave the Narnia for the movies.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #104 - May 8th, 2022 at 12:19pm

0ktema wrote on May 8th, 2022 at 9:50am:
They would also be incentivized to use their monetary power to influence government legislation in their financial favor, (as is the general practice).

they do that now. Thats probably why there is no economy wide transaction tax anywhere.

Big corporates would be incentivized to do all that they can to vertically integrate and internalize costs.

the tightening up of anti competition laws can restrict that.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #105 - May 8th, 2022 at 12:37pm

John Smith wrote on May 8th, 2022 at 12:14pm:
freediver wrote on May 8th, 2022 at 9:07am:

Again, I've already told you that I don't believe they would all become one company so there are no taxes that would have otherwise been paid.

Like I said, you need to step into reality and leave the Narnia for the movies.

That is not what I am asking John.

What would happen to the taxes if they did?

Quote:
the tightening up of anti competition laws can restrict that

Anti competition laws cannot prevent their smaller competitors going bankrupt, and they are not designed to prevent vertical integration. In fact they encourage it.

And why would you even need those laws if they would have no incentive to vertically integrate in the first place? You are pushing two contradictory lies now John.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #106 - May 8th, 2022 at 12:48pm

Countries around the world that currently embrace a transaction tax, tend to focus it solely on the financial sector and even that can be tricky. 

The financial sector SHOULD be subject to a transaction tax, to discourage dangerous speculation in the fake financial industry casino (and derivatives - "financial instruments of mass destruction": Warren Buffet)  which is multiples the size of the real economy.   

IP Logged

0ktema
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #107 - May 8th, 2022 at 1:59pm

thegreatdivide wrote on May 8th, 2022 at 12:48pm:
Countries around the world that currently embrace a transaction tax, tend to focus it solely on the financial sector and even that can be tricky. 

The financial sector SHOULD be subject to a transaction tax, to discourage dangerous speculation in the fake financial industry casino (and derivatives - "financial instruments of mass destruction": Warren Buffet)  which is multiples the size of the real economy.   

Yeah, I'm in general agreement. However there are certain sectors of the financial markets that may require adjustments or even exemptions to prevent unintended and undesirable side-effects from negatively impacting productivity in the broader economy.

- Adi Da Samraj

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #108 - May 8th, 2022 at 2:43pm

freediver wrote on May 8th, 2022 at 12:37pm:
That is not what I am asking John.

I don't give a sh1t what you are asking.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #109 - May 8th, 2022 at 2:46pm

And yet you try to convince us that companies would have no incentive to vertically integrate, and it would not reduce their tax bill, despite not being able to tell us what happens to the tax revenue from the transactions that disappear when they vertically integrate.

And you also try to tell us that additional laws would be required to limit vertical integration, despite insisting it would not happen.

Wherever you find something truly idiotic, you will find John Smith wallowing in it.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #110 - May 8th, 2022 at 2:49pm

Anti competition laws cannot prevent their smaller competitors going bankrupt.

no one ever said they were ... why you keep injecting these red herrings into everything is beyond me.

nd they are not designed to prevent vertical integration. In fact they encourage it.

God you are stupid sometimes. Your problem is that you're arguing something tat doesn't currently exist and applying it to what we have, which it isn't designed fora TT.

To completely change our tax system you would have to start at the beginning.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #111 - May 8th, 2022 at 2:51pm

Quote:
our problem is that you're arguing something tat doesn't currently exist

It does not exist because it is truly idiotic. No-one is even suggesting it, other than you. And you cannot muster a single coherent thought on it.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #112 - May 8th, 2022 at 5:03pm

freediver wrote on May 8th, 2022 at 2:51pm:
It does not exist because it is truly idiotic

No, it doesn't exist because any party that tried to bring it in would lose all their donations from the rich, who would end up paying more taxes. Its far cheaper for them to bribe politicians and use fools like you to stop it happening.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #113 - May 8th, 2022 at 7:00pm

Your one vote is not enough to win an election John. And you are not going to convince anyone else with your incoherent gibberish. No political party is going to suggest your transaction tax because they are not complete morons. They don't even need to gauge the public reaction.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #114 - May 8th, 2022 at 7:35pm

freediver wrote on May 8th, 2022 at 7:00pm:
And you are not going to convince anyone else with your incoherent gibberish.

I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or the other FD. It's only you who is doing that.

I really couldn't give a stuff what anyone else thinks

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #115 - May 8th, 2022 at 7:36pm

Cheesy Cheesy

the same thing that happens to taxes they would have otherwise paid if they hadn't transfered their profits overseas.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #116 - May 8th, 2022 at 8:45pm

John Smith wrote on May 8th, 2022 at 7:36pm:

Cheesy Cheesy

the same thing that happens to taxes they would have otherwise paid if they hadn't transfered their profits overseas.

So the taxes are avoided?

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #117 - May 9th, 2022 at 1:32pm

Your one vote is not enough to win an election John. And you are not going to convince anyone else with your incoherent gibberish. No political party is going to suggest your transaction tax because they are not complete morons. They don't even need to gauge the public reaction.

And you are the fraud who diverted (from MMT to privatisation) the discussion from examining the economic CAUSES, and necessary reforms, of the current political hyper-partisanship, dysfunction, and loss of faith in democracy.

Quote:

Coles and its suppliers are not going to become one company.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #118 - May 9th, 2022 at 5:56pm

freediver wrote on May 8th, 2022 at 8:45pm:

Cheesy Cheesy

far less than what is avoided now

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #119 - May 9th, 2022 at 7:29pm

John Smith wrote on May 9th, 2022 at 5:56pm:

Cheesy Cheesy

Would they have an incentive to avoid the tax by vertically integrating?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #120 - May 9th, 2022 at 8:27pm

freediver wrote on May 9th, 2022 at 7:29pm:

Cheesy Cheesy

no

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #121 - May 9th, 2022 at 9:35pm

John Smith wrote on May 9th, 2022 at 8:27pm:

Cheesy Cheesy

no

So you think they would be able to avoid the tax by vertically integrating, but this would not create an incentive to do so?

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #122 - May 9th, 2022 at 9:42pm

They aren't going to vertically integrate, it's anti-competitive. 

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #123 - May 10th, 2022 at 10:58pm

Suck 'em all dry - let god sort 'em out......

Every cent that goes offshore should be taxed......... if they don't want to play by our rules - we won't play by theirs - but their opposition seeking market place will play by our rules and love the profits.

Do you seriously imagine that the Tax Haven Pirates actually sell  their tablets etc in Asian countries at the same price as here?

Dream on.......................

Also - if the dicks (and non-dicks) in Cambra taxed every dollar going offshore (rather than those dollars staying here to promote OUR economy), the Slim Mehajers of this world would not vanish $50m to Lebanon while going 'broke' here and refusing to pay their contractors.  Or GladysCo and ScottyCo would not ship $50BN (drop in the bucket compared to what Howard stole for the Offshored 'future fund' for himself and mates) to buy ferries and trains from RustHulks Inc without paying their way HERE first!!  Maybe they'd figure it was better to buy from NonRustHulks Corp HERE instead in the first place!  .. (instead of throwing your hard-earned around with Gaye Abandon - a Cambra hooker franchise owned by politicians).....

At least you'd get 10-25% out of the khonts ....... at 'gross income/transfer' like the pharken peasants pay on income tax. Joe Bloggs doesn't get to write off 'home base' and all the other things that go into receiving a wage or salary.....  Jo Bloggs doesn't get to write off all costs from having a kid and staying at home for years... Jo or Joe don't get to write off all the costs of research for work  and job hunting and exploration into new areas to find profit in their lives, or cop a concession for being unemployed for a year or more and still running all operating costs and shares to the 'shareholders' in a family ........ why should Offshore parasites paying no tax get that?

Tax 'em all - let God sort 'em out....... 25% sounds good....... or company tax rate applied to every offshore deal ..... we scum already pay GST on Offshore purchases - why should those khonts be sacred?

Company tax rate on all cash Offshored...... that'll bugger 'em!  Tax everyone at the same rate(s) on gross income and see how that pans out.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2022 at 11:22pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #124 - May 22nd, 2022 at 10:07am

John has invented an even stupider transaction tax.

John Smith wrote on May 20th, 2022 at 9:16pm:
lee wrote on May 20th, 2022 at 6:17pm:
John Smith wrote on May 20th, 2022 at 4:39pm:
tax money moving offshore.

Even after they have moved? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

when it leaves our shores you idiot. A 20% tax on all moneys transferred overseas ought to see it stay where it is

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #125 - May 22nd, 2022 at 11:45am

freediver wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 10:07am:
John has invented an even stupider transaction tax.

John Smith wrote on May 20th, 2022 at 9:16pm:
lee wrote on May 20th, 2022 at 6:17pm:
John Smith wrote on May 20th, 2022 at 4:39pm:
tax money moving offshore.

Even after they have moved? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

when it leaves our shores you idiot. A 20% tax on all moneys transferred overseas ought to see it stay where it is

Grappler above disagrees with you, and you haven't said why "it's even stupider".

And you still haven't explained how government can increase wages to aged-care and NDIS  workers.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #126 - May 22nd, 2022 at 12:03pm

FD's just upset because he's come to realise that he's had it wrong for so long Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #127 - May 22nd, 2022 at 4:50pm

John Smith wrote on May 9th, 2022 at 8:27pm:

Cheesy Cheesy

no

If the taxes are avoided John, why do you think there is no incentive to avoid them?

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #128 - May 22nd, 2022 at 5:05pm

How many times do you need to be told?  If Jerkinoff Corporation doesn't want to trade their Supa Flat-Top Tablet here and pay their dues, someone else will gladly step in to take their market share.

Nobody is going to abandon Australia with its lucrative markets of fools ready to buy anything trendy because they are forced to pay tax they know they should.

25% Offshoring Tax.. no dollar gets out of here alive....GuvCo has no compunction about taking GST from we struggling peasants trying to get a cheaper deal Offshore - they should have no compunction about taking tax from corporations offshoring it.

That double standard won't wash any more, Cambra.....

― John Adams

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #129 - May 22nd, 2022 at 5:33pm

freediver wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 4:50pm:
If the taxes are avoided John, why do you think there is no incentive to avoid them?

So you create stupid hypotheticals in your head, despite being told I don't think they will occur, then ask me to explain your stupidity?

If you had a brain FD, would you need to ask me that question?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #130 - May 23rd, 2022 at 7:43am

It's your hypothetical John. Your transaction tax will always remain a fantasy in the minds of the economically illiterate. Here you are explaining that the taxes would be avoided.

Cheesy Cheesy

If you agree the taxes would be avoided, what makes you also think there would not be any incentive to avoid them?

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #131 - May 23rd, 2022 at 12:17pm

freediver wrote on May 23rd, 2022 at 7:43am:
It's your hypothetical John. Your transaction tax will always remain a fantasy in the minds of the economically illiterate. Here you are explaining that the taxes would be avoided.

Cheesy Cheesy

If you agree the taxes would be avoided, what makes you also think there would not be any incentive to avoid them?

So you have to say how YOU intend to fund social housing, and decent age-care wages....or be exposed as a RW survival of the fittest fraud...again.... 

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #132 - May 23rd, 2022 at 6:02pm

freediver wrote on May 23rd, 2022 at 7:43am:

Cheesy Cheesy

Because that scenario is merely your stupidity on display, and not relevant to reality

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #133 - May 23rd, 2022 at 10:07pm

How do you avoid a transaction tax?  Brown paper bags?

― John Adams

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #134 - May 24th, 2022 at 10:18pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 23rd, 2022 at 10:07pm:

I think we need an ICAC.....

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #135 - May 25th, 2022 at 12:13am

thegreatdivide wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 10:18pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 23rd, 2022 at 10:07pm:

I think we need an ICAC.....

I know we do, and one with a lot of powers.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print