transaction tax (Read 3890 times)
The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: transaction tax
Reply #15 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 11:58am

freediver wrote on Apr 28th, 2022 at 9:18pm:
John can you see any flaws in your system?

freediver wrote on Apr 30th, 2022 at 8:38am:
I shouldn't need to explain. It is bleeding obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Can you see how your tax would be avoided?

All I see is Freediver doing lees trick of thinking that asking a question that demands the other person does all the work is some sort of brilliant rebuttal.

The truth is though that we will never have a transaction tax. that would encourage people onto the cash economy which the government and big business hate.
Governments and Big Business want us all to use electronic transactions so that the data can be harvested

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 12:34pm

poor Barney still sad about  BoM. They really do change temperatures for "statistical" reasons.Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 7:56pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 29th, 2022 at 10:11pm:
John Smith wrote on Apr 29th, 2022 at 6:16pm:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 29th, 2022 at 5:48pm:
Hi FD,
why even bother arguing economics with a painter?

Smith can tell you what paint to use but that's about all.

this painter has run various businesses successfully for over 20 yrs .... what have you done that makes you any sort of expert on economics? Or Fd for that matter?

Organising your mates to paint a few kitchens and some dunny doors
does not qualify you to guide us on economics.

It's beyond your capabilities

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 7:57pm

freediver wrote on Apr 30th, 2022 at 8:38am:
John Smith wrote on Apr 29th, 2022 at 5:33pm:
I'm not sure why you started another thread. I thought it'd be embarrassing enough for you not being able to explain how you avoid it in one thread ....

now you want to fail to explain how you avoid it in another one? knock yourself out. Cheesy

I shouldn't need to explain. It is bleeding obvious to anyone with half a brain.
?

So obvious you have struggled all week to come up with a way to avoid it  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Agnes.
Gold Member

St Agness

Reply #19 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 10:03pm

I'm not sure why you started another thread. I thought it'd be embarrassing enough for you not being able to explain how you avoid it in one thread ....

now you want to fail to explain how you avoid it in another one? knock yourself out. Cheesy

being cheeky again- no hope for you is there? dont let the extra sss's fool you - yes its me stupid- stop being an idoit!!!

Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave ~

IP Logged

0ktema
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 11:34pm

Perhaps the major issue for an effective Financial Transaction Tax to overcome, would be Vertical Integration.

The ability of businesses especially large wealthy corps to buy up and vertically integrate to the nth degree - from the production of raw materials, to refining, to manufacture, to distribution and onto retail sales etc, would have the effect of sheltering them from vast tax liabilities. Many businesses without this ability would then suffer from a crippling lack of competitiveness.       

"We Are Consciousness Itself"
- Adi Da Samraj

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #21 - May 1st, 2022 at 2:00am

0ktema wrote on Apr 30th, 2022 at 11:34pm:
Perhaps the major issue for an effective Financial Transaction Tax to overcome, would be Vertical Integration.

The ability of businesses especially large wealthy corps to buy up and vertically integrate to the nth degree - from the production of raw materials, to refining, to manufacture, to distribution and onto retail sales etc, would have the effect of sheltering them from vast tax liabilities. Many businesses without this ability would then suffer from a crippling lack of competitiveness.       

Good point.... that's why a tax system needs to be overhauled...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #22 - May 1st, 2022 at 2:04am

Agnes. wrote on Apr 30th, 2022 at 10:03pm:

being cheeky again- no hope for you is there? dont let the extra sss's fool you - yes its me stupid- stop being an idoit!!!

Sounds like steam escaping....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - May 1st, 2022 at 9:10am

The formation of the ACCC based on the recommendations of the Hilmer Report  (plagiarised from the US) on competition policy
has hardly seen this adequately monitored.

Verticle Integration & monopoly is the dream achievement of most corporations .... the trouble is that most of it still happening in Australia is by foreign companies or foreign state owned companies(CCP).

Even Brazillians have got in on the act with JBS meat processors.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - May 1st, 2022 at 10:42am

Agnes. wrote on Apr 30th, 2022 at 10:03pm:

WTF? stay off the drugs

by the way, if you want to call someone an idiot, it's best you don't make an idiot of yourself in the process.

it's spelt  IDIOT,  ya idiot Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - May 1st, 2022 at 10:48am

no it's not. If you buy the farm, mill the corn, make the flour, market the end product then there are still transactions at every step of the way. It's not like coles isn't going to pay the farmer, rent, the truck drivers, the miller, the storemen, the forklift drivers, the board of directors, the shareholders etc etc. EVERY transaction incurs a tax. Thats why its called a transaction tax

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

0ktema
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - May 1st, 2022 at 12:34pm

John Smith wrote on May 1st, 2022 at 10:48am:

no it's not. If you buy the farm, mill the corn, make the flour, market the end product then there are still transactions at every step of the way. It's not like coles isn't going to pay the farmer, rent, the truck drivers, the miller, the storemen, the forklift drivers, the board of directors, the shareholders etc etc. EVERY transaction incurs a tax. Thats why its called a transaction tax

Sure, but can you imagine the resources and expertise that large corps would throw towards creative integration and accounting practices and how that would effect the viability of smaller less integrated outfits. Without strong and most likely very complex legislation, large monopolies would steamroll the competition.

I wish it could work, I really do, however I don't have much faith in legislators being up to the task.

Undoubtedly and no matter what, we need significant campaign financing and media ownership reform, else the powerful will continue to be warp legislative processes in their favor .    

- Adi Da Samraj

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - May 1st, 2022 at 1:46pm

0ktema wrote on May 1st, 2022 at 12:34pm:
Sure, but can you imagine the resources and expertise that large corps would throw towards creative integration and accounting practices and how that would effect the viability of smaller less integrated outfits.

no. No matter how creative their accounting gets, they have to pay each and every person at each and every stage of the process, and they have to receive payment in exchange. There is no avoiding it.

and lets not pretend that big corporations avoiding tax have no effect on smaller outfits under our current system.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

0ktema
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - May 1st, 2022 at 3:01pm

John Smith wrote on May 1st, 2022 at 1:46pm:
0ktema wrote on May 1st, 2022 at 12:34pm:
Sure, but can you imagine the resources and expertise that large corps would throw towards creative integration and accounting practices and how that would effect the viability of smaller less integrated outfits.

no. No matter how creative their accounting gets, they have to pay each and every person at each and every stage of the process, and they have to receive payment in exchange. There is no avoiding it.

and lets not pretend that big corporations avoiding tax have no effect on smaller outfits, under our current system.

Yes, I agree that corporations often have very unfair advantages over smaller outfits, under our current system. And there's no denying, that they would have to pay transaction tax on wages and salaries etc.

However being one big company, they could avoid transactions that often occur in a step by step fashion between various companies or other separate entities. Such as sale of goods, materials or services. As an example, those that occur from farmer to distributor, to miller to distributor, to manufacturer to distributor and onto retail sales.

Separate entities trying to survive outside of this vertical integration would be impacted with taxation costs added upon every necessary step involved in the process. The greater the number of preceding steps the less competitive an entity would become. Corporations would no doubt take more and more steps in house and strangle the competition.

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2022 at 3:11pm by 0ktema »  

- Adi Da Samraj

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #29 - May 1st, 2022 at 4:47pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 29th, 2022 at 5:48pm:
Hi FD,
why even bother arguing economics with a painter?

Smith can tell you what paint to use but that's about all.

And Gaylord can serve a mean cup of tea but that is the end of his talents.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print