Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 ... 119
Send Topic Print
Australia and NZ numbers for today: (Read 42153 times)
John_Taverner
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Australia and NZ numbers for today:
Reply #1275 - Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:05pm

Carl D wrote on Sep 24th, 2022 at 8:27am:
Hope your mum is OK, Greg.

Hospitals should be one of the safest places as far as not getting Covid is concerned but with all of the stupid decisions being made by our governments lately it is sadly not true anymore.

One of the most stupid things I have heard is people walking into a hospital and being asked to replace their high quality mask with a flimsy surgical one. The "reasoning" behind this is supposedly because the hospital staff require members of the public going in there to wear a fresh, clean mask.

I assume you wear a high quality mask like I do at all times? I normally replace my (and my aunt's) KN95 masks after about 8 hours use. Might be an idea to take a new, still in the wrapper high quality mask with you to show them it hasn't been used already.

Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised if they still wanted you to use a surgical mask - if they do, just put it over the top of the high quality mask which I've heard a few people have done in these situations.

Do your KN95 masks have ear loops?

72+Adelaide+Street  
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1276 - Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:06pm

Carl D wrote on Sep 24th, 2022 at 9:00am:
Hardly anywhere left now where masks are required but I did notice Specsavers at Belmont Forum (near Woolies) still requires customers and staff to wear a mask (there's a notice on the front window saying masks are required) and everyone inside was wearing them when I walked past there yesterday.

Not sure if all of the Specsaver stores are doing it or just that particular store? I might be popping into Maddington Central this afternoon and I'll have a look to see if the Specsavers there also requires masks for entry.

I think they're all doing it.

I went to Specsavers in Vic Park the other day and masks are still a requirement there.

Also went to Cooper & Lourie in East Vic Park and everyone had masks there too.

Just got back from Hollywood - they let me use my own mask and all the nurses gown-up and put gloves on when they go into mum's room.

Everyone there was wearing a mask, including gardeners, car park attendants, security, etc.

It's not a bad hospital too - that's the first time I've ever been into a ward there.  They even get free TV, so mum's happy.

IP Logged

John_Taverner
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1277 - Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:10pm

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/12-signs-you-have-a-fake-n95-kn95-or-kf9...

If the mask has KN95 written on it, that sounds warning bells. It's supposed to be a Chinese standard, but some manufacturers got around it by calling the company KN95.

Stick to P2 masks. The Australian Standard is not worth faking. The US standard is.

If you want to know further, I can provide details in private.

72+Adelaide+Street  
IP Logged

John_Taverner
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1278 - Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:11pm

72+Adelaide+Street  
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1279 - Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:21pm

John_Taverner wrote on Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:10pm:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/12-signs-you-have-a-fake-n95-kn95-or-kf9...

If the mask has KN95 written on it, that sounds warning bells. It's supposed to be a Chinese standard, but some manufacturers got around it by calling the company KN95.

Stick to P2 masks. The Australian Standard is not worth faking. The US standard is.

If you want to know further, I can provide details in private.

Actually, I'm currently using Kingfa FFP2 NR masks    Undecided

IP Logged

John_Taverner
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1280 - Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:30pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:21pm:

That's a European standard. Still ok as long as it's genuine.  The link I provided has some basic checks.

72+Adelaide+Street  
IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #1281 - Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:35pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:21pm:

Same ones my elderly aunt and I have been wearing for months. Got them from our local Terry White in Kooyong Road.

Haven't had Covid (or the flu) so far. Fingers crossed.

I would prefer to wear them with the straps stretched around and attached to the back of the head with the clips provided for a tighter fit instead of just over the ears but I've had 2 of these masks break the straps when I've done that .

Thank goodness I've always had a spare with me when that happened.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1282 - Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:39pm

Carl D wrote on Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:35pm:
I would prefer to wear them with the straps stretched around and attached to the back of the head with the clips provided ...

Oh, that's what those clips are for   Smiley

I didn't realise.

But yeah, I've been buying those ones for Mum and me for months - $10 a pack from Priceline.

Still haven't caught the virus.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #1283 - Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:45pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:39pm:
Oh, that's what those clips are for   Smiley

I didn't realise.

I didn't realise what they were for either until I saw someone wearing one of these masks with the clip one day.

20220924_114202.jpg (103 KB | 1 )
20220924_114202.jpg

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #1284 - Sep 28th, 2022 at 9:42pm

And, there it is... the closest we will probably get to an admission from our so called leaders that the current (non) response to Covid is all about the economy and they couldn't care less about how many die or are disabled from Long Covid, etc.

https://federation.gov.au/national-cabinet

Quote:
The National Cabinet’s response to COVID-19 is evolving from a health and crisis management focus, to one of driving Australia’s economic recovery and jobs creation.

No wonder we are never allowed to see the "health advice" from their Secret Squirrel National Cabinet meetings - that's because there is no health advice behind the removal of masks and other Covid protections, it's all based on business advice as many people already guessed.

Oh, and I'm hearing a rumour that the Covid isolation period which was recently reduced from 7 days to 5 may be scrapped altogether after this Friday.

And, a lot of people (myself included) are wondering why a Labor Prime Minister seems to be following "orders" from a NSW Liberal Premier in regards to removing the few remaining Covid protections we still have.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1285 - Sep 29th, 2022 at 4:57am

without an economy, you have no public health

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #1286 - Sep 29th, 2022 at 8:16am

And without public health, i.e. a healthy workforce and "consumers" you have no economy.

As a lot of the businesses who were screaming out for "open up and let it rip" are now finding out with staff and customers constantly off sick.

And, as I've said before - with several new vaccine and antiviral evading Covid variants on the way it doesn't look like things are going to be getting any better any time soon.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #1287 - Sep 29th, 2022 at 8:20am

Carl D wrote on Sep 29th, 2022 at 8:16am:
And without public health, i.e. a healthy workforce and "consumers" you have no economy.

As a lot of the businesses who were screaming out for "open up and let it rip" are now finding out with staff and customers constantly off sick.

And, as I've said before - with several new vaccine and antiviral evading Covid variants on the way it doesn't look like things are going to be getting any better any time soon.

I can't find any numbers.
How many died in the last week?

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #1288 - Sep 29th, 2022 at 8:29am

Tomorrow, Bobby.

That's when our new "once a week" reports will be due from the States - but Victoria have still been providing daily reports up to now at least.

Haven't been keeping up to date with their numbers but I saw something like 22 deaths for Victoria in a single day for either yesterday or Tuesday from Covid Live.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #1289 - Sep 29th, 2022 at 1:56pm

This guy is an absolute menace to public health and needs to be removed ASAP - hopefully before next year's NSW State Election.

NSW premier to call for end to mandatory COVID isolation periods

Quote:
NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet will push for COVID-19 mandatory isolation periods to be scrapped at Friday’s national cabinet meeting.

Perrottet on Thursday said Australia needed to move away from public health orders towards personal responsibility.

“I believe we need to get to a point where if you’re sick you stay at home, and if you’re not, you get out and about and enjoy life,” Perrottet said.

We've tried the "personal responsibility" BS already and it doesn't work.

For example - "masks are strongly recommended indoors where there are a lot of people" equals maybe 1 in 100 wearing a mask these days.

All that remains to be seen now is whether the rest of the State Premiers and our useless, jetsetting Prime Minister roll over (again) tomorrow and allow Perrottet to dictate public health policy for the whole of Australia.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 ... 119
Send Topic Print