Send Topic Print
Windows 11 (Read 8605 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: Windows 11
Reply #45 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 11:01pm

I thought that I lost my yearly subscription to internet security. But I managed to reinstall the program with an update.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #46 - Apr 17th, 2022 at 4:42pm

lol... Microsoft really are a bunch of tossers with their BS about needing an 8th generation or later CPU and a TPM 2.0 module, UEFI firmware, secure boot, etc. for Windows 11.

I just installed Windows 11 Home on the PC I'm using right now which has an Asus H81M-PLUS motherboard which was released in 2013 (I bought it in 2015) with a 4th generation CPU and no TPM (Trusted Platform Module). The PC case is a recent purchase, about 6 months old (this setup has been in 3 different cases since 2015).

I had to create a 'special' USB installation stick with a USB creation program called Rufus which modified the install files to bypass the CPU and TPM checks, etc. and I also had to use a Command Prompt 'trick' to install 11 without an Internet connection and also without using a Microsoft account. I'll let you Google all that if you like.

Not sure why the install date says 18/4? I entered the date and time manually for Perth and I must have been a day off. The PC wasn't connected to the Internet while I had 11 running so it couldn't set the location, time and date automatically.

Had a play with it for a while and it works perfectly but I've gone back to Windows 10 (using a Macrium Reflect image backup) for now. I may install Windows 11 again at a later date and I do have another PC here which has an 11th generation CPU and TPM, etc. and I might put 11 on that later this week, it also has Windows 10 on it at the moment.

The PC with Windows 10 restored for now.

I love playing with this stuff.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2022 at 5:13pm by Carl D »  

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #47 - Apr 17th, 2022 at 7:32pm

I am not that far away from transferring some RAM over to my current computer before I consider upgrading to Windows 11.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #48 - Apr 17th, 2022 at 8:29pm

What I did with that older PC today proves that all of these extra requirements MS has put in place to install Windows 11 are just a 'ploy' to sell more new computer hardware.

I'm also not buying the 'more secure' BS either because Windows has always been like Swiss cheese when it comes to security and so far Windows 11 seems to have just as many security patches every month as Windows 10.

Next time I put Windows 11 on that older PC (I'm using my laptop now) I'll connect it to the Internet, update it and see what happens. I've heard that MS could refuse updates for "unsupported hardware" with 11 although it hasn't happened yet. The latest thing they've done is put a "This PC is running on unsupported hardware" message in the bottom right hand corner of the desktop wallpaper (which can be removed with a registry 'hack' for now).

MS may have to relax these Windows 11 hardware requirements before too much longer - I've read that the takeup of Windows 11 has pretty much come to a standstill because most people with older hardware will just stay with Windows 10 which is still supported until October 2025.

And, from what I saw during the half hour I ran Windows 11 there's a bit of a learning curve involved because, once again, MS has moved a lot of things around compared with Windows 10. Software makers seem to love doing that all the time (and not just MS). Sake just for the sake of change it would seem.

I also noticed the old Windows Control Panel is still there in Windows 11 but you have to search for it. I thought MS were getting rid of that and moving everything over to Settings ages ago with Windows 10?
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2022 at 8:44pm by Carl D »  

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #49 - Apr 18th, 2022 at 7:23am

Much like mobile phones, you will be required to update every 5 years to keep up with the latest technology and applications. Otherwise, you won't be able to communicate with others.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #50 - Apr 18th, 2022 at 10:35am

I'm sticking with Windows 10 on my old laptop and found another annoying thing on my wife's Windows 11 machine ... because her laptop is quite slow I wanted to set background apps ability to run in the background to "OFF" ... I had done that on my old laptop and found that apps open much faster - e.g. calculator and Fitbit open twice as fast when background running is turned off.

In Windows 10 it is a simple task to turn off all background running app settings with just one change to settings in "Privacy" - "Background apps". One click to turn all aps to "OFF".

Windows 11 however needs you to go into each apps settings one by one and in advanced, set the background running to "off".  Roll Eyes

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #51 - Apr 19th, 2022 at 9:09am

Well, I decided to reinstall Windows 11 on this "unsupported" PC in the attached picture and set everything up pretty much the same as I had everything set up in Windows 10.

Taking a while to get used to some of the changes but so far I'm liking 11 and I don't plan on going back to 10. I've done all of the Windows Updates with no problems and so far I haven't seen a message about running on unsupported hardware appear on the desktop.

I'll be setting up my other PC shortly which has a new motherboard and CPU (both "officially supported" by Microsoft for W11) to replace these ones. At least I was able to reuse the RAM in the new motherboard.

I'd actually put Windows 10 on there already now I'm going to wipe it and put 11 on... never mind, it passes the time I guess?

I'm also in the process of putting Windows 11 onto my little Lenovo laptop which I've had for about a year.  Cool
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2022 at 9:19am by Carl D »  

20220419_064929.jpg (102 KB | 3 )
20220419_064929.jpg

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #52 - Apr 19th, 2022 at 1:06pm

Goodness me. I had to uninstall some programs I recently installed just to get my RAM down from 80% and my CPU down from 60%. Who knows how Windows 11 will work on my computer

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #53 - Apr 28th, 2022 at 9:30am

I've swapped PC's over and I'm now using the other one which has the new motherboard and CPU and is fully Windows 11 "compliant".

I've dismantled the older PC since my previous posts (I didn't particularly care for that blue case) and I'm getting a new case similar to the one on my desk right now. I'll reassemble it at a later date and I might get a separate desk to put in on with it's own keyboard, mouse and monitor rather than swapping PC's around every few weeks for updating, etc. I have a 21inch LCD TV here doing nothing at the moment that I can use as a monitor and I can also watch TV on it and also connect up my BluRay player.

I also have a little Lenovo laptop which I did a clean install of Windows 11 on last week and even though it fully "complies" with Windows 11's requirements it took ages to install 11 (the laptop only has 4GB of RAM and a slow Intel Celeron N4020 CPU) and then I spent another hour and a half trying to do Windows Updates on it and even though I was eventually informed it was "Up To Date" I found that I could no longer adjust the screen brightness (it was fine in Windows 10).

I gave up and put Linux Mint on the laptop and it was up and running in less than half an hour including installing updates and setting up Firefox and Thunderbird Mail (I've put a Windows 10 theme and wallpaper on it as you can see in the picture).

I only use the laptop for Internet and email while I'm watching TV in the lounge room in the evenings and Mint is just perfect for that.

The only problem I've had so far with Windows 11 on the main PC is the scanner for my 4 year old Epson XP-6100 printer and scanner won't work properly most of the time. Keep getting error messages about scanner not found or it's busy and in use (when it isn't).

A lot of people are having scanner problems with Windows 11 from what I've been reading. I'll just wait for an update or fix.

I have a big HP laser printer/scanner and that works OK with W11 so I can still scan things if I need to. I'm only keeping the Epson inkjet to print on those white printable DVD and BluRay discs occasionally... can't do that with a laser printer (the discs would probably melt even if there was a way of putting them through the laser printer.. lol).

I also bought a new adjustable monitor stand from our local Officeworks last week... I like the monitor up higher than it was on the original stand.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2022 at 11:51am by Carl D »  

20220428_070645.jpg (151 KB | 4 )
20220428_070645.jpg

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #54 - Apr 28th, 2022 at 11:34am

Speaking of BenQ monitors, my son's went on the fritz the other week - flickering and a small dark patch lower right hand border.

It is on the way out but turning anti-blur on in its settings made it useable again so I have inherited it for my clunker Laptop and it works pretty well!

I wonder how much longer it will last?

(p.s. It is about 8 years old and has been very good up until last week.)

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #55 - Apr 28th, 2022 at 11:39am

My BenQ monitor is nearly 7 years old.

It's a 24" GL2460 and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it in all that time, no dead pixels, uneven light or anything. It only has DVI and D-sub inputs (I use DVI which is the better of the two).

I've thought about getting a new larger monitor from time to time but this one is just fine for me... if it eventually dies I'll need a new one, of course.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #56 - Apr 28th, 2022 at 3:10pm

This one is :

BenQ 27inch LED Professional Gaming Monitor, 1920x1080, 1ms GtG, 12M:1, VGA, DVI,Display Port, 2x HDMI,USB,144Hz,Motion Blur Reduction, Low Blue Light
Model: XL2720Z (WTY - 3 year)

It has been excellent up till last week.

I reckon 27" is the maximum size I would go for.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #57 - May 17th, 2022 at 6:25am

Micro$oft keeps giving me build updates every few days or so. It's really goofy, goofy as in Mico$oft seems to create problems such as folders, speed, security and then dismantles them only to create new ones. These are major updates, too. It's been over a year-and-a-half now and still no Android apps you can run unless you want to purchase specific ones from where else...Amazon.

So I'm convinced now it's f - king garbage as seems to be the trade with most Mico$oft products. Widows 11 was a marketing scheme to get gullible consumers to buy their overpriced Surface tablets and it appears that has backfired.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Agnes.
Gold Member

St Agness

Reply #58 - May 17th, 2022 at 12:48pm

waste +of time !

Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave ~

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #59 - May 17th, 2022 at 1:01pm

I tried to do a windows 11 update last year on my old computer. My computer pood itself and has not been able to work since. But, I do not know if it was the computer doing that or the windows 11 changeover.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print