Send Topic Print
Windows 11 (Read 8607 times)
Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Windows 11
Reply #30 - Dec 9th, 2021 at 9:40am

My old ASUS laptop can't run Windows 11 (owing to an unnecessary hardware setting insisted upon by Microsoft) ... lucky me!   Cool

I put Windows 11 on 'er indoors HP laptop yesterday as part of the free "upgrade". Big mistake.   Sad

Windows 11 is a fugly piece of crap.   Shocked

I much prefer Windows 10.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2021 at 9:54am by Captain Nemo »  

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #31 - Dec 9th, 2021 at 10:02am

6 years ago we had all sorts of third party programs and workarounds to stop Microsoft forcing Windows 10 onto peoples' Windows 7/8.1 PC's.

Looks like history is about to repeat with keeping Windows 11 off peoples' Windows 10 PC's.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Dec 10th, 2021 at 8:01pm

10 December 1815. Ada Lovelace (Ada Byron) was born in London. She was the only child of the poet Lord Byron. She’s best known for her work on Charles Babbage's proposed mechanical general-purpose computer, the Analytical Engine, and is regarded as the first computer programmer.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #33 - Dec 28th, 2021 at 11:02pm

Valkie wrote on Oct 28th, 2021 at 6:09pm:
Wait until Windows 13.
It will be gender neutral and you will be required to name all 72 genders before you can log on.

I think you will find that by the time Windows 12 comes out, the concept of wokeness and the 72 genders will have gotten pass the expiry date. People will be over it by then and have seen it as something of a 10-year phase.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #34 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 4:05pm

Tried to download and install Windows 11. My computer was in a bad way that I could not get it completed.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #35 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 7:57pm

The Heartless Felon wrote on Oct 23rd, 2021 at 9:25am:
I've just been invited to download/install Windows 11. And it's free!

Anybody know anything about it?

My machines are not compatible so its a no go for me. I probably would if I could but it is no big deal.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #36 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 11:32pm

Better for me than 10 - I restored my old beast to 8.1 to get around the stupidities of 10 - 11 so far is a better version of 8.1....

Even mega companies can hear when the people speak loud enough....  Don't Look Up ....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 11:35pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 6th, 2022 at 4:05pm:
Tried to download and install Windows 11. My computer was in a bad way that I could not get it completed.

I have Avast cleanup which I run regularly alongside cleanup and defrag and TotalAV checks..... keeps it running pretty smoothly.  Cleanup has a disc check so it spots any issues with the physical disc as well.

Clean up the memory first and then try.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #38 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 1:16am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jan 7th, 2022 at 11:35pm:

I have Avast cleanup which I run regularly alongside cleanup and defrag and TotalAV checks..... keeps it running pretty smoothly.  Cleanup has a disc check so it spots any issues with the physical disc as well.

I had just downloaded and installed Advanced System Care. If Avast is better than ASC, I should probably give that a go.

I have had this computer for the last several months. Yesterday's refresh has done me more good than what I thought possible. But I cannot remember any of my preloaded passwords. Even OzPol had me trying to remember what it was.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #39 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 1:32am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 8th, 2022 at 1:16am:

I had just downloaded and installed Advanced System Care. If Avast is better than ASC, I should probably give that a go.

I have had this computer for the last several months. Yesterday's refresh has done me more good than what I thought possible. But I cannot remember any of my preloaded passwords. Even OzPol had me trying to remember what it was.

Always a good idea to have a backup of passwords from Credential manager and if you use Chrome -  settings / advanced/ autofill/ passwords.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #40 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 1:44am

Dnarever wrote on Jan 8th, 2022 at 1:32am:
Always a good idea to have a backup of passwords from Credential manager and if you use Chrome -  settings / advanced/ autofill/ passwords.

I did a complete restore of my computer. That meant all my files were erased and all my stored passwords were gone. I could probably have written the passwords down when I set them. But that might have defeated the purpose of having passwords if I could not recall them from memory. But, there I was needing to remember long-forgotten passwords. So glad that my google password is one of my oldest passwords.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #41 - Jan 11th, 2022 at 7:55am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 8th, 2022 at 1:44am:

I did a complete restore of my computer. That meant all my files were erased and all my stored passwords were gone. I could probably have written the passwords down when I set them. But that might have defeated the purpose of having passwords if I could not recall them from memory. But, there I was needing to remember long-forgotten passwords. So glad that my google password is one of my oldest passwords.

Given the issues discussed here I’m left wondering why so many of you cling to Mr Gate’s spaghettiware.
?

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #42 - Jan 13th, 2022 at 6:31pm

My computer was in such a state that I could not download and install Windows 11. That is why I am sticking to Windows 10, until I update the RAM and fix up a few other issues.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Jan 13th, 2022 at 7:20pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Jan 11th, 2022 at 7:55am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 8th, 2022 at 1:44am:

Given the issues discussed here I’m left wondering why so many of you cling to Mr Gate’s spaghettiware.
?

Same here.

I haven't used Windows at home for about ten years now.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 1:31am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 8th, 2022 at 1:16am:

I have automatic password retention from Firefox when I choose, but also a small book ...... with all passwords listed.  If you deal with government, always check in once every three months, or they will want you to change your password, which is a pain.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print