Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Windows 11 (Read 8663 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Windows 11
Reply #15 - Oct 28th, 2021 at 6:41pm

I haven't used Windows for personal computing for 7 or 8 years now.

I just see no need for it.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #16 - Oct 28th, 2021 at 8:05pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 28th, 2021 at 6:41pm:

I haven't since win 3.11. OS/2 until '95 or '96, Debian(Linux) from 1996 and until present.

Let me guess, you are a late sipping Mac user? Wink

Edit: meh, stupid image link. Removed.
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2021 at 8:13pm by Setanta »  

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Oct 28th, 2021 at 10:26pm

Setanta wrote on Oct 28th, 2021 at 8:05pm:

I haven't since win 3.11. OS/2 until '95 or '96, Debian(Linux) from 1996 and until present.

No. I don't like Apple.

And I hardly drink coffee.

I use Chromebooks.

Have half a dozen of them (two at home, one at Mum's, one at Dad's nursing home, one in the office, and a spare in the car).

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Oct 28th, 2021 at 10:38pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 28th, 2021 at 10:26pm:
Setanta wrote on Oct 28th, 2021 at 8:05pm:

No. I don't like Apple.

And I hardly drink coffee.

I use Chromebooks.

Have half a dozen of them (two at home, one at Mum's, one at Dad's nursing home, one in the office, and a spare in the car).

It's so predictable that you would dump your old man in a retirement home.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #19 - Oct 29th, 2021 at 9:13am

Apple, Window, Linux; arguments about which is best remind me of arguments about which football team is the best.
I fled to Apple after being driven insane working with Australia’s largest Windows network in a security setting.
Haven’t regretted it for a minute. A brief experience with a friends latest windows system didn’t impress. Nothing in particular went wong but the look of the thing ? ERK!

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Oct 29th, 2021 at 3:22pm

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #21 - Oct 29th, 2021 at 4:17pm

Frank wrote on Oct 29th, 2021 at 3:22pm:

Trust you to dump that odious amateur on us. Not many musicians (and I use the term very loosely) give me the absolute horrors. This one does.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Oct 29th, 2021 at 8:49pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Oct 29th, 2021 at 4:17pm:

Trust you to dump that odious amateur on us. Not many musicians (and I use the term very loosely) give me the absolute horrors. This one does.

Cheesy
You need a hysterectomy, girl. Or a hormone treatment, at the very least. You get over-wrought about everything.

You must have RSI on your wrists, flicking them limply like that at every opportunity.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Oct 29th, 2021 at 9:47pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Oct 29th, 2021 at 4:17pm:

Amateur? George was the highest paid English entertainer during WW2...

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #24 - Oct 30th, 2021 at 12:25am

Had a quick look at Windows 11 on a couple of laptops in JB Hi-Fi at Belmont Forum today and I have to say I'm seriously underwhelmed.

'Change for the sake of change' comes to mind. And, what's with this BS of putting the Start Menu in the middle of the screen at the bottom? I understand it can be changed back to the bottom left or anywhere else if you like but sheesh... stop copying Apple and their macOS FFS!!

I'm also led to believe that you can 'skip' the unsupported hardware 'trap' if you install Windows 11 from the ISO (on a USB stick) and not from Windows Update so I may be tempted to try it on one or both of my desktop PC's in the next few days. I'll have Macrium Reflect backups at the ready so I can go back to Windows 10 in a matter of minutes, of course.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #25 - Nov 5th, 2021 at 1:49pm

New Survey Confirms Over Half Of Business PCs Can't Install Windows 11

Quote:
It's no secret that Microsoft ramped up its baseline hardware requirements for Windows 11 compared to Windows 10. However, a large swath of the PC population is being left out by requiring AMD Ryzen 2000 and 8th generation Intel Core (and newer) processors and mandatory TPM 2.0 support.

These steep requirements are readily apparent in the enterprise market, as a new survey by Lansweeper shows that over half of workstations in operation today are ineligible for the free upgrade to Windows 11. This data is based on an estimated 30 million Windows devices used across 60,000 organizations.

I'm betting it won't be long now before Microsoft relents and allows most or all of these older PC's to run Windows 11.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #26 - Nov 5th, 2021 at 9:40pm

Last thing I want is a system I have to jiggle and tweak to get working to my satisfaction.

Looked at a computer yesterday, and said "Windows 11 - after 10 I'm not sanguine..."

I ditched 10 and went back to 8.1 - still going strong and if I need to I can download it for free and I've got my product key.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #27 - Nov 15th, 2021 at 10:59am

So, let's see. Windows 11 has only been widely available for a couple of months and we're already seeing a pile of monthly security updates for it just like Windows 10 (and all other previous Windows releases).

https://www.windowscentral.com/november-2021-patch-tuesday-here-windows-11-and-1...

My question now is: what is the point of the strict hardware requirements plus TPM2 when it looks like Windows 11 users are going to have to jump through the same 'Patch Tuesday' hoops as Windows 10 users have to every month?

As I said earlier: I strongly suspect this whole Windows 11 hardware requirements BS is just a ploy to sell more new PC's. And, of course, to also sell Windows 11 licences for these new PC's seeing as most people (myself included) got Windows 10 for 'free' by using our Windows 7/8.1 keys.

Most of these older PC's that had the 'free' upgrade to Windows 10 are probably now locked out of the 'free' upgrade to Windows 11 because of 11's hardware requirements.

I also read somewhere that some believe the '8th generation and above' CPU requirement is because these later processors are not susceptible to Meltdown and Spectre and don't need software patches for protection (which slows the processors down) like the 7th generation and earlier processors do.

However, nearly 4 years after the entire PC world got its panties in a wad about Meltdown and Spectre I still haven't heard about ANYONE being affected by these vulnerabilities... which is also the case for the majority of these alleged security vulnerabilities we hear about every month.

But, I guess it keeps all of these 'security companies' gainfully employed and also allows Microsoft to keep a 'leash' on customers' PC's with the never ending updates.
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2021 at 11:29am by Carl D »  

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #28 - Nov 15th, 2021 at 5:20pm

Carl D,

Would you prefer to not have the updates and allow discovered vulnerabilities to not be fixed.

M$ has a lot of different systems and configurations to support. I prefer the updates than take the risk.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #29 - Nov 15th, 2021 at 5:40pm

I would prefer Microsoft to drop the stupid 'artificially created' hardware restrictions for Windows 11.

They pulled the same 'unsupported hardware' BS for Windows Update with Windows 7 for 7th generation and above CPU's about 4 or 5 years back when they were pushing Windows 10 hard (although there were/still are ways to get around it).

Speaking of which, I am seriously thinking about giving Windows 10 the boot and setting up a dual boot system I was using a few years back with a 'never connected to the Internet' Windows 7 and Linux Mint or Ubuntu for everything I need to do online - and I know how to get all of the 'extended support' updates for Windows 7 which have been released since January 2020 when 'official' support ended.  Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2021 at 5:48pm by Carl D »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print